Need fast answer-baby stroller & food shopping question

minniebride

DIS Veteran
I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question-I am a new mom to my 3 month old daughter.

I special ordered our Christmas dinner this year from Whole Foods, since it will just be DH & I, and I am scheduled to pick it up tomorrow late morning-1 pound turkey, 1 pound meat, dressing, deviled eggs. In addition, I need to pick up a few other items from prepared foods and produce-quiche, bag of carrots, prepared mac & cheese, prepared greens.

My DH will be at work & I have never been shopping with my DD without him. I *think* she will be fine and likely sleep the whole time & I plan to try and get in and out as fast as I can.

My question is: How the heck do I maneuver a shopping cart and a stroller at the same time????

I have two options for strollers-a smaller flimsy-er umbrella stroller with no storage on the bottom of the stroller or our larger, sturdier Graco one that has some storage on the bottom. Though now that I think of it, I'm guessing all that food will not fit on the storage section of her stroller. I'm not sure if I can fit everything in just a shopping basket....

I was thinking of also maybe keeping my baby in her car seat and putting the car seat in the shopping cart-do people do that??? Though, by doing that, I'm not sure if the food and the car seat will all fit in the shopping cart???

Thank you for any advice you might have!!!!!:goodvibes

I can't speak from personal experience, but I usually see people put the car seat in the cart. I don't think I have ever seen one person try to push a stroller and a cart.

The infant carseat should snap over the seat on the grocery cart?

I have no children, but I think the best bet would be to take the cars seat and put it in the cart. A carriage and cart would be too much unless you have a helper. Some places have carts for babies with built in car seat thins, does whole foods have those? How much did you order or do you plan to buy? I bet an employee could help you take it to your car.

do you have one of them things, that hangs on you and put baby inside it like a kangaroo

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question-I am a new mom to my 3 month old daughter.

I special ordered our Christmas dinner this year from Whole Foods, since it will just be DH & I, and I am scheduled to pick it up tomorrow late morning-1 pound turkey, 1 pound meat, dressing, deviled eggs. In addition, I need to pick up a few other items from prepared foods and produce-quiche, bag of carrots, prepared mac & cheese, prepared greens.

My DH will be at work & I have never been shopping with my DD without him. I *think* she will be fine and likely sleep the whole time & I plan to try and get in and out as fast as I can.

My question is: How the heck do I maneuver all a shopping cart and a stroller at the same time????

I have two options for strollers-a smaller flimsy-er umbrella stroller with no storage on the bottom of the stroller or our larger, sturdier Graco one that has some storage on the bottom. Though now that I think of it, I'm guessing all that food will not fit on the storage section of her stroller. I'm not sure if I can fit everything in just a shopping basket....

I was thinking of also maybe keeping my baby in her car seat and putting the car seat in the shopping cart-do people do that??? Though, by doing that, I'm not sure if the food and the car seat will all fit in the shopping cart???

Thank you for any advice you might have!!!!!:goodvibes

Carseat in the front part of the shopping cart. The seat should clip right on. If you need an additional cart, go to customer service and request some help.

Really??? Geez I had no idea-how does that work? I feel like the car seat is so much wider than the seat on a grocery cart....

You put it on length-wise...you know, so you're staring baby in the face? Most seats clip right on the back of the cart's seat, and you can use the cart's straps to secure the carrier.

I have no children, but I think the best bet would be to take the cars seat and put it in the cart. A carriage and cart would be too much unless you have a helper. Some places have carts for babies with built in car seat thins, does whole foods have those? How much did you order or do you plan to buy? I bet an employee could help you take it to your car.

Hmm...I'm not sure if Whole Foods has the carts with the built in car seats-I hadn't thought of that.
I'm picking up the following:
1 lb boneless turkey
1 lb sliced sirloin
small container of cranberry sauce
an order of prepared mac & cheese
an order of prepared vegetable
bag of baby carrots
a small quiche

That should be it.

do you have one of them things, that hangs on you and put baby inside it like a kangaroo

No, I wish I did :(

The car seat should clip on the cart like it clips in the base it has they groove in it, but I recommend if you do that clip the little seat belt through one of the handles just in case. Option 2 is if they have the ones with the built in seat just take the baby and the bag in. Option 3 if you have a shopping cart cover put it in the cart and lay the baby across the seat where a big kid would normally sit. Option 4 baby carrier or sling as pp suggested

I was always amazed by the amount of stuff I could fit it my stroller basket when I was shopping. My advice is to get the biggest cart they have, put the carseat in the main basket area and put all your groceries around it. Our carseat clipped to the handle as well but I have heard too many horror stories about tipping etc that I was always afraid to do that.

Oops, just checked car seat and it is a Chicco, not a Graco. I did a quick search and apparently Chicco Key fit car seats do not fit in the seats of shopping cars-ugh!

I guess I will just see if they have carts with built in car seats (I hope so!!!) or try to fit it in the cart & hopefully the seat and the food will fit!!!

I guess I could ask for help with my shopping, but I'd hate to ask for a team member to help me shop on their busiest shopping day of the year!!!

Thank you for all of your replies!!

This is a great & safe option. The shopping cart basket is not safe- the small front basket, if course the larger one is safe- http://carseatblog.com/10985/shopping-carts-eeek-what-not-to-do-with-your-infant-carseat/

Unless you happen to live outside of US, I have heard other countries have larger " baskets" for the car seat.

There is only one company that allows this & they are rumored to be changing their manuals to prohibit it. I think it's baby trend, but I could be wrong on the name,.

I'll probably get flame but please don't put your baby carseat in the top section normally used for toddlers to sit in. It is just not safe (atleast in my opinion). While it is unlikely, babies have fallen off the shopping cart usually face first onto the ground while still strapped into the carseat. A sudden bump going off the sidewalk or by a passing customer not paying attention is all it would take.

Please put the carseat into the large section of the cart and put the food wherever it will fit, bring a friend, clumsily push the stroller and cart or ask for help from the store but please avoid the top of the cart.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-Berg-dies-falling-shopping-cart-Macon.html

http://www.woai.com/content/trouble...ecome-a-dangerous/r8L5T6EXd0mw29A5OjCsaw.cspx

Oops, just checked car seat and it is a Chicco, not a Graco. I did a quick search and apparently Chicco Key fit car seats do not fit in the seats of shopping cars-ugh!

I guess I will just see if they have carts with built in car seats (I hope so!!!) or try to fit it in the cart & hopefully the seat and the food will fit!!!

I guess I could ask for help with my shopping, but I'd hate to ask for a team member to help me shop on their busiest shopping day of the year!!!

Thank you for all of your replies!!

You are such a smart & savvy mommy for checking ;)

Folklore said:
I was always amazed by the amount of stuff I could fit it my stroller basket when I was shopping. My advice is to get the biggest cart they have, put the carseat in the main basket area and put all your groceries around it. Our carseat clipped to the handle as well but I have heard too many horror stories about tipping etc that I was always afraid to do that.

Agreed with all of this! PLEASE do not attach the carseat to the seat area of the cart!!!! They actually have started making the newer car seats NOT fit into the seat of the cart because of how many people had kids topple over (car seat and all) and get really hurt/die. Put the car seat there makes everything really top heavy and tend to tip over.

What we always do is put the baby in the carseat sideways in the cart and that way I can still have space for food! Also, many places have infant seats built into the cart (I know most of our local stores have a couple) so that is an option too!

I know people say not to but I always Put the infant car seat in the front of the cart. The seat goes on with baby facing you then the entire back/bottom of cart is available for food. Our carseat manual explained how to do and that it was safe. But again, that was 12 years ago.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, ask an employee to help with a second cart. I had to do that once, and they were happy to help. They even took the cart to the front where it waited for me while I got the rest of the items in the cart with the baby. Not a problem at all.

The other possibility is to use a sling or baby carrier

I'd just carry the baby in the seat on one arm and push the cart with the other. It's not like you're on an hour long shopping trip. You're just picking up an order.

I always snapped the carseat into the area where a toddler usually sits. However, if this doesn't work....it actually sounds like you have very few groceries...just put the carseat in the main compartment and load the groceries around it and on the bottom of the cart. Since it's just the 3 of you, whatever doesn't fit, gets skipped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter