• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NCL to return to E Muster Drills April 1

It was unofficially reported the the main reason Disney went back to the old style drills was because of lack of sufficient participation on the part of the guest. So I guess some may have ruined it for others.

Remember this also gives the crew, especially new crew a chance to also train. These are the people who are going to help save your life in an emergency while people are running around panicking because they do not know where their muster station is.

In an emergency even if people are only half paying attention at the in person muster drill they got some of the information and at least know where to go. If the guest can't remember where to go than thats their fault not the cruise lines. they did their part.

If only one person had to check in at the staging area and no one from the party bothered to watched the in room video because it took up to much time from their cruise this is a problem.
In an emergency especially, if the rest of the party is separate from the person who went to their muster area they might not know where to go.

On our last cruise on the Fantasy in November 2022 from the time the horn blew to start the drill till the time we were released from our muster station it was exactly 20 minutes. And our muster station was on the Starboard side of the ship in the sun.
If there are people who cant stand in the sun for 20 minutes they should find out from the cruise line if there is an alternative place they can meet.

I do not think 20 minutes is a lot to ask from people to help protect their safety in an emergency. this was on a cruise that was 142 hours long so 20 minutes is not a lot to ask..

To be honest, other than I would rather my cell phone be locked up in my stateroom safe for the entire cruise, I only prefer in person muster drill by a hair.. Just seems to be a huge fuss over a few minutes of the in person safety drill.
It was one of the things my kids looked forward to. We had a standard pattern, get on the ship, eat lunch, mooch around the ship until the muster drill, go to the sail away party, head to the stateroom to relax before late seating dinner.

I don't mind an in-person muster as long as it does not interfere with the Sail Away Party because of stragglers.

I would much prefer the virtual also. If the coast guard is fine with it like other lines there is no real reason for DCL to continue the in person. Heck the last in person we did involved multiple babies crying for most of it and squirming toddlers with parents trying to keep them in line because we waited for a good 20 mins waiting for people that are to selfish to be on time for things. Sorry but that point most aren't paying attention anymore.

If the in-person musters are much shorter recently (as appears to be reported here), then I won't mind it. I just recall one cruise having to stand out on deck, in the sun, crammed in amongst people. We were just standing there, waiting for the stragglers. My feet were killing me. And thank goodness I'm short so I was in the front of our line so at least I had space in front of me, if I had been crammed in with people on all sides I might have had a minor anxiety attack (something I've gained in adulthood and haven't discovered until recently is an issue).

I don't mind the in person muster so much, but it was very annoying to have to all wait around like that for people who either 1) didn't care that they were late or 2) didn't know they were late (which, for how long we were there I can't imagine how people didn't know what to do. If DCL has somehow tightened that up I won't mind so much.

I liked how we did it on Princess in 2021. Each person had to scan their medallion (like a magic band), so there was none of this 'only one person per stateroom' loophole. We also had a video that, IIRC, popped up on the app and we had to watch it.

As far as I'm aware Seabourn is still doing the e-muster drills. The video is available via the tv or the app. I'm not sure if every passenger has to visit their assigned station or if just one per stateroom does. From what I could find it's anywhere between embarkation time and something like 30mins before departure that you have to check in. Seabourn is also utilizing a staggered embarkation time but pretty much everyone has said you can show up whenever. However, generally showing up when your assigned time is assures you can go straight to your room as it will be ready for you.

I literally have not heard ANY complaints from anyone on the several FB pages I'm on about the e-muster drills and if any type of people were going to complain it would be these people lol. I'm sure I could find complaints but nary a peep on the FB pages.

It kinda does seem at this point that the problem may be DCL. Maybe it's the clientele, maybe it's how they do activities or food or embarkation times, IDK

If the coast guard is fine with it like other lines there is no real reason for DCL to continue the in person.
I started questioning the Coast Guard reasoning that people floated around (that Coast Guard was completely against e-drills/against their rules) when it was clear these main cruise lines were doing them and for prolonged periods of time. Maybe there was a preference for in-person I'm not sure but it didn't really hold up as a strong reason for DCL to not go to it when main cruise lines in the industry were.

My question to those who don't "mind" in person muster because it's "only 20 minutes".... why would you want to voluntarily give up 20 minutes of your vacation if you didn't HAVE to. THAT'S the point.

Disney is now the only cruise line that requires in person muster now. They're not doing it because it's safer (this has been debunked by other lines), they're doing it because it's easier for them. Period.

My question to those who don't "mind" in person muster because it's "only 20 minutes".... why would you want to voluntarily give up 20 minutes of your vacation if you didn't HAVE to. THAT'S the point.

Disney is now the only cruise line that requires in person muster now. They're not doing it because it's safer (this has been debunked by other lines), they're doing it because it's easier for them. Period.
Because, it is ONLY 20 minutes. THAT'S THE POINT. Normally your luggage isn't in your state room yet, you've had lunch, and this is your time to get your bearings on the ship before you head up to the sail away party. That is just part of the process.
Because I don't want to carry around a cell phone that could get damaged or destroyed by water on board. I HAVE 20 minutes, I don't have a spare $1,000 for a new phone. Period.

The whole ship shuts down during the drills anyway. There's not much to do. That was true during the virtual drills, too.

Because, it is ONLY 20 minutes. THAT'S THE POINT. Normally your luggage isn't in your state room yet, you've had lunch, and this is your time to get your bearings on the ship before you head up to the sail away party. That is just part of the process.
Because I don't want to carry around a cell phone that could get damaged or destroyed by water on board. I HAVE 20 minutes, I don't have a spare $1,000 for a new phone. Period.
That’s why they should just move the video to watch as part of your health questionnaire. Can’t access the questionnaire without the video.

And then have everyone check in at the station once they board. Have someone there with a scanner like they do now and only scan one KTTW per person they have in front of them.

Edit: Also freezing rain is worse than sun, that happened to me in Vancouver the first time I sailed DCL and it was absolutely miserable.

So you mean to tell me on your vacations you never have spent 20 minutes doing something that maybe isn’t the top of your fun list but is part of the process? Did you spend time packing? Did you fly and have to wait at the airport? Did you wait in traffic to get to the port? Did you get gas for your car if you drove? Did you wait for security? Did you wait for your boarding group to be called? Have you waited for an elevator or a bathroom? Did you wait to get some food? Have you ever waited for anything, or are your vacations so well thought out that you can do whatever you want instantly? Every vacation has some stuff that you just have to do…

Whether or not inperson is more effective than e drills is irrelevant at this time. DCL decided this is the direction they want to take. So if you want to take a DCL cruise you are doing it their way. If you don’t want to do it, choose another line. Am I jumping up and down saying, “Yay! I love the inperson muster drill!” No, but I’m not going to whine about it and make it into something that is just going to ruin my day. And yes, I have done drills being outside and wearing life jackets previously. Still had a great time on every cruise I have been on.

That’s why they should just move the video to watch as part of your health questionnaire. Can’t access the questionnaire without the video.

And then have everyone check in at the station once they board. Have someone there with a scanner like they do now and only scan one KTTW per person they have in front of them.

Edit: Also freezing rain is worse than sun, that happened to me in Vancouver the first time I sailed DCL and it was absolutely miserable.
Well the elephant in the room is too many people try and get out of doing any kind of muster drill.

The whole ship shuts down during the drills anyway. There's not much to do. That was true during the virtual drills, too.
Uhhh... what!? There's nothing to "shut down" when there's an e-muster/virtual option available. Thats. Kinda. The. Point. The cruise starts from the moment you step on the ship and continues without disruption (other than the couple minutes it takes to physically visit the muster station and check-in).

So you mean to tell me on your vacations you never have spent 20 minutes doing something that maybe isn’t the top of your fun list but is part of the process? Did you spend time packing? Did you fly and have to wait at the airport? Did you wait in traffic to get to the port? Did you get gas for your car if you drove? Did you wait for security? Did you wait for your boarding group to be called? Have you waited for an elevator or a bathroom? Did you wait to get some food? Have you ever waited for anything, or are your vacations so well thought out that you can do whatever you want instantly? Every vacation has some stuff that you just have to do…

Respectfully, you're missing the point... sure, there are obligatory things that we all do (packing, TSA, traffic) that take away our precious time. What I'm simply saying is, what *IF*, you didn't HAVE to spend that time waiting in traffic, or at security, or packing (though, honestly, I'm a sicko who enjoys that experience because it means I'm going on vacation!)... that's what this boils down to. There's no reason to force 4,000 passengers to congregate for 20-40 minutes. There's a better way -- one that every other cruise line has adopted and acknowledges works better for passengers.

Uhhh... what!? There's nothing to "shut down" when there's an e-muster/virtual option available. Thats. Kinda. The. Point. The cruise starts from the moment you step on the ship and continues without disruption (other than the couple minutes it takes to physically visit the muster station and check-in).

Respectfully, you're missing the point... sure, there are obligatory things that we all do (packing, TSA, traffic) that take away our precious time. What I'm simply saying is, what *IF*, you didn't HAVE to spend that time waiting in traffic, or at security, or packing (though, honestly, I'm a sicko who enjoys that experience because it means I'm going on vacation!)... that's what this boils down to. There's no reason to force 4,000 passengers to congregate for 20-40 minutes. There's a better way -- one that every other cruise line has adopted and acknowledges works better for passengers.
But the point is that you have to if you want to sail DCL. Whether you like it or not. If I didn’t have to do it, great. But I do, and its not worth getting mad about IMO. And I am the same as you with packing ;)

But the point is that you have to if you want to sail DCL. Whether you like it or not. If I didn’t have to do it, great. But I do, and its not worth getting mad about IMO. And I am the same as you with packing ;)
Isn't a fair topic to discuss the choice DCL makes? It goes without saying don't like it don't sail them but why does that mean someone can't gripe about something other cruise lines do and do well enough especially with a major cruise line choosing to go back to e-muster drills after having done in-person ones for a time?

Isn't a fair topic to discuss the choice DCL makes? It goes without saying don't like it don't sail them but why does that mean someone can't gripe about something other cruise lines do and do well enough especially with a major cruise line choosing to go back to e-muster drills after having done in-person ones for a time?
I didn’t say they couldn’t complain about it, but moderators sometimes will tell people to stop discussing some Disney policies because that’s the policy and don’t get bogged down about why it is said policy. I said it’s not worth getting mad about IMO (see my post). And the poster was saying what if you didn’t have to spend time doing it. My response is that we do if we are on DCL. If they went to e muster again, I would be happy. If they don’t, it’s not the end-all-be-all for me.

I took a Sixthman themed cruise on NCL in February. The in-person muster was one of the things I mentioned in the survey. The muster was very long as we were waiting for passengers and Sixthman employees to arrive on time. A portion of the info they gave out was not related to SOLAS. Some of the other guests were chanting at the muster like it was a sporting event instead of something serious. I am glad to see the return of the e-muster.

I'm sorry for the rant.

I didn’t say they couldn’t complain about it, but moderators sometimes will tell people to stop discussing some Disney policies because that’s the policy and don’t get bogged down about why it is said policy. I said it’s not worth getting mad about IMO (see my post). And the poster was saying what if you didn’t have to spend time doing it. My response is that we do if we are on DCL. If they went to e muster again, I would be happy. If they don’t, it’s not the end-all-be-all for me.
I don't think the thread was going that direction TBH :flower3:

This thread is about NCL switching back to e-musters and people naturally are discussing how DCL is doing it (because this is a Disney-focused board). I'm not sure the person was really mad though but at this point DCL is the outlier so I do think it's natural to wonder why, complain, gripe, whatever. I'm not disagreeing with you about not letting it do something like ruin your experience :) but I can understand why someone could get annoyed in this situation.

This is Part of what I posted last week.

"It was unofficially reported the the main reason Disney went back to the old style drills was because of lack of sufficient participation on the part of the guest. So I guess some may have ruined it for others."

My guess and this is just a guess, Disney must have seen and done enough research to find out that people were not doing what they were suppose to do. If it is true it is a shame adults were not trusted enough to do what was expected of them.

We also have to remember that Disney has a lot more children on the ship than most other cruises. Having everyone go through the drill gives people a better chance during an emergency to know where to go and what to do.
I would not be surprised if the kids pay more attention to the drill than the parents.

"Remember this also gives the crew, especially new crew a chance to also train. These are the people who are going to help save your life in an emergency while people are running around panicking because they do not know where their muster station is."

Training is always a good thing, we learn by repetition. Once again the crew are the ones who are going to help save your life during an emergency.

I still do not see what the big deal is. In the thirteen Disney, one NCL and one Princess cruise my wife and I have been on, the muster drill has never been more than 20 to 30 minutes, and the 30 minute drills were because we were waiting for people who did not think the drill pertained to them to show up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter