• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NBA Experience Opening?

When they first announced this I was extremely skeptical and concerned over its potential in terms of popularity and success. This is very sad as it has become a complete loss. I have no idea what it cost to build, but I know it wasn't cheap.

I do enjoy the sport but not as much as baseball, hockey and football. It was a neat concept, but it did not appeal to me at all and they were better off repurposing the building into something better suited for Disney Springs. It just felt a bit out of place and like someone else mentioned...it was super niche.

When they first announced this I was extremely skeptical and concerned over its potential in terms of popularity and success. This is very sad as it has become a complete loss. I have no idea what it cost to build, but I know it wasn't cheap.

I do enjoy the sport but not as much as baseball, hockey and football. It was a neat concept, but it did not appeal to me at all and they were better off repurposing the building into something better suited for Disney Springs. It just felt a bit out of place and like someone else mentioned...it was super niche.
Agree - it really was out of place, wasn't it? Seemed like an odd project from the beginning - but I guess sometimes these things work, and sometimes they don't. A shame to waste the time, money and space at DS, though. Hope something better can take over that large spot.

Agree - it really was out of place, wasn't it? Seemed like an odd project from the beginning - but I guess sometimes these things work, and sometimes they don't. A shame to waste the time, money and space at DS, though. Hope something better can take over that large spot.

I feel like it COULD have been popular if the experience had actually been better than it was. I think the NBA is pretty popular overall, and a lot of guests from overseas might have really liked it. I never did it, but the reviews didn't make it seem too good though. It probably should have been smaller for one thing, maybe only having the best parts included. They could have done some kind of interactive attraction type space, with an NBA themed experience as just part of it. That might start to sound like DisneyQuest 2.0 though - which would be good.

That might start to sound like DisneyQuest 2.0 though - which would be good.

It would be a very good thing but I have a feeling the building will remain vacant for a while because of COVID and all the other projects being pushed aside or canceled: i.e., Spaceship Earth, Mary Poppins, and Splash Mountain.

ESPN Zone to take over of the closing of the Boardwalk ESPN Club... similar to the one they had in midtown Manhattan, but with more interactive areas (batting cages, golf simulators, basketball, gaming lounge area, etc.). ESPN store up front to cash in on the NBA Disney synergy with the Magic.

I thought I've read several articles that it will not be returning.
Agree with above that it was an unusual choice and nearly destined to fail.

They should have put this at the Basketball Hall of Fame. Not DS. Disney never should have purchased ESPN. I used to watch it all the time. I cant believe how quickly they broke something that was not broken.

I think they should make the space into something Marvel themed with whatever characters they are legally able to use in that area.

Disney needs to take step back and REALLY see what will work here. The space is huge and good location.

I would love to see some sort of entertainment venue that the whole family could go to - somewhere whole families can go to dance and enjoy themselves. I miss the old Pleasure Island clubs - maybe even bring back the Adventurer's Club.

I thought i read that ESPN on Boardwalk was going to be another Splittsville event and entertainment area.

Never gonna happen but I would love to see a recreation of Canto Bight so we can all gamble and drink in a fancy star wars world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter