Navigating Rope Drop in a Scooter and waiting in lines

l
Wow that is a bit crazy. How the heck would a scooter maneuver that.
Whatever you do, don't honk that horn. I have a wicked starter reflex. A scooter driver honked a horn behind me on a cruise ship, they almost ended up on the ground.
You never know what reaction a person is going to have to be startled like that. You might not enjoy the response you get

IME, rope dropping on wheels is totally doable in some parks and kind of a nightmare in others. EPCOT is generally pretty organized, MK isn't half bad. DHS was a nightmare on feet and I flat-out would not try it in my chair even though I'm used to it - I still have nightmares about trying to weave through to the old TSM entrance among a throng of people! The biggest issue I've had is that people aren't used to looking down so they literally won't even see the chair sometimes and try to fill in all "available" space...or the people in front of me stop/move too quickly and I catch their heel because physics. But again, it varies from park to park. If this is new to you and your wife is nervous, I would definitely suggest not rope-dropping the first day or two just so you can be used to/comfortable with your wheels before diving into the madhouse. Or rope-dropping one of the easier parks, like EPCOT.

Thanks for the feedback. We are staying at Boardwalk Inn so we are close to Epcot and DHS. We were going to drop DHS on day 2 but I may hold off until we go back on day 5. I’m considering walking Day 2. It would be a short visit as I can’t stand and walk for more than a couple of hours but we could go back and get the scooters to return to later. That’s an idea.

Actually, they issue a mobility return time if the standby queue is not accessible (you would return to the FP return queue if accessible), as of June, the list of attractions that would issue mobility return times were:
  • Magic Kingdom
    • Jungle Cruise
    • Pirates
    • Splash Mountain
    • Big Thunder
    • Haunted Mansion
    • it's a small world
    • Peter Pan
    • Winnie the Pooh
    • Space Mountain
  • Hollywood Studios
    • These attractions sometimes have extended queues that go through non-accessible areas, mobility return times will be issued for them:
      • Slinky Dog Dash
      • Toy Story Mania
      • Smuggler's Run
      • Rise of the Resistance
    • Star Tours
    • Tower of Terror (Sometimes)
    • Rock n Roller Coaster (Sometimes)
  • EPCOT
    • Spaceship Earth (Always ask at the exit, as sometimes they will do return times, but most of the time they don't)
    • Living with the Land
    • Finding Nemo (If you need one due to the extremely dark twists and turns in the standard queue being difficult to navigate, they usually will give one even without a DAS if you ask nicely)
  • Animal Kingdom
    • These attractions sometimes have extended queues that go through non-accessible areas, mobility return times will be issued for them:
      • It's Tough To Be a Bug
      • Kilimanjaro Safaris
      • Expedition Everest
      • Dinosaur
    • Kali River Rapids
    • Celebration of Festival of the Lion King - If the show you try to go to has no spaces left for mobility devices, they may give you a return time for the next show time that allows you to bypass the standby queue
As mentioned, some of these are only some of the time and in all cases, if the standby wait time is relatively low and/or there are very few mobility devices in the queue, they may just let you go straight on, so always bring your entire group with you right now (same goes for using a DAS at the moment). And as everything keeps changing, this list may change as well, so this is definitely a your mileage may vary list.

I wanted to go back to this one. If we are in our scooters and we go to the line, will a CM direct us to get a mobility return time? I can walk, but I cannot stand in long lines for long so I would plan on staying on the scooter for as long as I can.

How do I check if there is a mobility return time available?

Edited to add: I just read the DAS information so thanks to the PP who included it.

Last edited:

I wanted to go back to this one. If we are in our scooters and we go to the line, will a CM direct us to get a mobility return time? I can walk, but I cannot stand in long lines for long so I would plan on staying on the scooter for as long as I can.

Edited to add: I just read the DAS information so thanks to the PP who included it.
The cm will let you know before you get in kine if there is s mobility return time

If the queue is not mainstreamed, they will give you a.mobikity return time if needed, otherwise direct you straight to the alternate entrance.

No, just go up to the first CM you see at the attraction, they will direct you from there.

Okay, so we should just check in with a CM at each ride for instructions. That sounds easy enough. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter