Nautical Knowledge, series II.

A "Night in the Crew Bar" ticket's would sell like hot cakes though!
$500 per person I reckon would be worth it! (drink's not included!)

Ex Techie :)

Non DCL

1. On a ship, what is the air draft and why is it important?

2. What is the draft of a ship?
The depth to the bottom of the hull from the water line?

3.What is another name for the propellers?
Screws?

4. On ships with multiple propellers, (2 or more) which way do they turn?
Opposite directions. Port counterclockwise, Starboard clockwise? otherwise the ship would sail round in circles!

5.While walking along the DCL ships, or even any other ships, you notice numbers that go up from the waterline, and get higher the higher on the hull they go. What do the numbers represent?
The amount the ship has submerged below the marker line since being floated out denoting to weight of the load, good's and people aboard?

6.When a ship turns at sea, how does the ship turn and why?
A rudder Aft of the propellor on traditionally propelled ship's, or using azipod's in some more modern ships?
Why due to water flow across the rudder or by being propelled by the azipods?

7.While you are walking along a pier, with ships tied up, what are the names of the things that the ropes are attached to?

8. What are the names of the ropes that attach a ship to a pier?
Mooring lines?

10. What is it called when a ship is tied to a pier?
Moored?

11. While looking at an older ship tied up to a pier, you notice black semi circles at certain points on the hull. What are they called, and where do they come from?

12. Where does the term Red Right Return come from?

13. Who decides that a port is closed, and who can come or go?
The Harbour Master, and no vessel can dock or leave?

14. While looking at a ships mast, you notice “bars” that are rotating that say SPERRY on the front. What are they?
Radar?

15. While underway at night, a ship must show at least 3 lights. The larger the ship, the more lights. What are the 3 lights that must be shown at minimum, and where are they on a ship or boat?
Port Bridge, Starboard Bridge and an central Aft Stern light?

DCL

1.How heavy are the Magic Class?
83,600 tonnes Also I was told, 83,630, but not sure how accurate that is!

2. How heavy are the Dream Class?

3. What are the numbers and letters that are printed on top of the lifeboats?
The vessel they are from's IMO registration number?

4.How many places on a DCL ship, does the name appear?
3 time's, Port forward, Starboard Forward, and on the Stern

5. How many places on the DCL ships does Nassau appear?
Once, on the Stern

6.What were the 3 options for Disney, when the contract for Premier cruises expired?

7. How many restaurants are on the Magic class, not including counter
service?
5, Lumiere's/Tritons, Parrot Cay, Animator's Palate, Topsiders/Beach Blanket and Palo, however 7 if you count Lumiere's and Tritons and Topsider's and Beach Blanket separately!

8. How many on the Dream Class?
6, Enchanted Garden, Royal Palace, Animators Palate, Cabana's, Palo and Remy or 7 if you count' Royal Palace and Royal Court separately!

9.On DCL ships, there are 2 sets of officers, 1 from each category. What are the names of the 2 categories?
Deck Officer's, and Officers?
or
Petty Officer's, and Officers?

4. Either way. Depeds on what the designers have in mind. when they spin in,(Port screw clockwise, Stbd counter) they usually give more speed, when the spin out,(port counterclockwise Stbd clockwise) they usually create more power.

6. Not what I had in mind. This is the one I had a hard time trying to convey. the Answer is very gently, or very slowly. Theres a few reasons.
a. When a ship turns at speed, centrifical force takes over, and a ship will list to the opposite side of the turn.
b. when a ship turns at sea, it typically loses speed. A gentle or slower longer turn over a larger area is more desirable as the ship wont lose too much speed, or lose too much time in transit. Another issue would be the cost of the fuel burned to make up the speed again.

11. Tug kisses or lipstick marks. They are made when a tug, that is using rubber tires as fenders, nudges a ship in to a pier or turn. You can also see them on the sides of ships, where the pier uses tires as bumpers and a ship nudges the docks.

DCL
9. Hotel and Ships officers.

Non DCL

Air Draft is measured from the vessels present water level(water line) to the highest point of the vessels usually a mast hard. Important only if your not wanting to hit the bridge up ahead.*G*

Draft is measured from the presnt water level(watetrline) to the bottom of the vessel.

screws

they turn inward,,,,,,,the right hand prop turns clockwise and the left hand engine turns counter clockwise. Now that said some can reverse that and turn outward.

5.While walking along the DCL ships, or even any other ships, you notice numbers that go up from the waterline, and get higher the higher on the hull they go. What do the numbers represent?

Draft marks

6.When a ship turns at sea, how does the ship turn and why? (not with rudders or azipods. Thats a given)

Not sure what you mean?...

7.While you are walking along a pier, with ships tied up, what are the names of the things that the ropes are attached to?

ballards, cleats and bitts

mooring lines

moored
11. While looking at an older ship tied up to a pier, you notice black semi circles at certain points on the hull. What are they called, and where do they come from?

No idea here

Red bouys are on the right side side of the channel as your entering port or the channel

Ok......the USCG and the Harbor Master can close a harbor or port. They do work together on this. In a port or harbor or area that reqiures a pilot, can be shut down by the pilots if the pilots feel there is unsafe conditions and they refuse to sail or bring in a vessel. They to work together with the USCG and the harbor Masters.

14. While looking at a ships mast, you notice “bars” that are rotating that say SPERRY on the front. What are they?

Not just sperry,,,,,,,but its Radar
15. While underway at night, a ship must show at least 3 lights. The larger the ship, the more lights. What are the 3 lights that must be shown at minimum, and where are they on a ship or boat?

small boats can show only 3 lights, a red and green side light each showing though 8 points of the compass, from right ahead, extending aft along the proper side and a all around white light higher up.

DCL

83, 000 gross tons

128,00 Gross

the name of the vessel and number of the lifeboat,

4.How many places on the outside of the DCL ships, does the name appear?

By law, the stern and on either side of the vessel, toward the bow, But I am guessing there are others I dont know about

5. How many places on the outside of the DCL ships does Nassau appear?

stern
6.What were the 3 options for Disney, when the contract for Premier cruises expired?

To extend the contract as was, buy the vessel, and biuld a vessel to be operated by Premier

7. How many restaurants are on the Magic class, not including counter service?

5, the 3 diming rooms, Palo and the buffet

6, the 3 dining rooms, palo, Remy and the buffet

9.On DCL ships, there are 2 sets of officers, 1 from each category. What are the names of the 2 categories?

There are the Deck Officers, the Engineering Officers. There is also the hotel staff
10. What are the names of the 4 Disney ships?

MAGIC, WONDER, DREAM AND FANTASY

11. See above.
14. sperry was the first name that comes to mind. I think that DCL uses them.

DCL9. I was thinking Hotel and Ships officers.
DCL 10. Officially they are the Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy,Disney Magic, Disney Wonder.

Ill post the rest of the answeres tonight.

Non DCL

The distance between the waterline and the top most portion of a ship, not necessarily the funnels. The reason its important, is to see if a ship will fit under a bridge over hang etc.
The depth a ship sits in the water, from teh waterline down to the deepest part of the ship.
Screws or blades
Inward or outward, depending on the what the designers want the ship to do. The reason that they dont turn the same way, is that a ship will list to one side, not necessarily walk. However counter rotating props, also have the advantage that with 1 prop backing, the other going foward, a ship or boat will generally (in a perfect world) turn in her own length.
Ships draft
6.When a ship turns at sea, how does the ship turn and why? (not with rudders or azipods. Thats a given)
Slowly so as not to lose too much speed, or list to far in her turn
Cleats,Bollards, Bitts to name a few
Mooring lines
Moored
Tug Kisses or lipstick marks. Generally made when a tug nudges or pushes a ship into the pier, or when a ship rubs the dock, where the tires are used as cushions.
When entering a channel from sea, the Red Buoy,is on your Right, Returning
Usually, the harbormaster, though Pilots and the Coast Guard can also. No one can come or go if the harbor is closed.
Radar
Red, Green and White. The red and green foward, and the white aft.
DCL
About 83000. However the Wonder is a little heavier with her Outlook addition.
Roughly 128000.Like humans, a ships weight can change from sailing to sailing over her lifetime, due to fuel onboard, changes in cofiguration, ballasting, design changes etc.
Ships Name, and calls sign
4.How many places on the outside of the DCL ships, does the name appear?
3, On her stern, and once on each side, under the bridge.
5. How many places on the outside of the DCL ships does Nassau appear?
Once on the stern
To end the contract, build their own ship, or continue with a contract service
7. How many restaurants are on the Magic class, not including counter service?
At least 5, including the crews.
At least 5
Hotel and Ship
10. What are the names of the 4 Disney ships?
Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, and Disney Fantasy. Most people will leave the Disney off the name.(Including me on occasion.)

Hotel and Ship

I have to dispute that Entertainment has it's own officer's separate to Hotel.... Sorry!
The CD for some ridiculous reason only has 1/2 a strip less than the Captain!
And the Captain of the DCL ship's has 4 and 1/2! :goodvibes

I could say whatever floats their boat, but it work's for them so all good! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Fun fact's though Truck! :)

HAAaaaa......ok Truck, now I see what your getting at with the black circle marks on the hulls...........there the points of the hull that are strong and reinforced so the tugs can push there.....but most ships also have letting staying.*push here or Tugs here*

you got me on that one!:thumbsup2

AKK

Hotel and Ship

I have to dispute that Entertainment has it's own officer's separate to Hotel.... Sorry!
The CD for some ridiculous reason only has 1/2 a strip less than the Captain!
And the Captain of the DCL ship's has 4 and 1/2! :goodvibes

I could say whatever floats their boat, but it work's for them so all good! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Fun fact's though Truck! :)

No biggie. Thats part of the fun of this. I never could figure out why DCL capts, dont have 4 stripes which are common most every where else.

HAAaaaa......ok Truck, now I see what your getting at with the black circle marks on the hulls...........there the points of the hull that are strong and reinforced so the tugs can push there.....but most ships also have letting staying.*push here or Tugs here*

you got me on that one!:thumbsup2

AKK

Yep. Thats what I was thinking. I remember seeing them on ships that have all white hulls like Carnival. I see them more now from the tires that are used as pier protection, then I do from a tug pushing a ship. some tugs dont use tires. They have manilla type rope that they use instead.

well, here comes some more.....

Easy:

1. What is a *House Flag*?

2. What does *dressing the ship mean?

3. What are the ceilings in a ship called?

4. What is a channel?

5. What bird following a ship means a Bad luck voyage?

Harder:

1. Some ships have what is called a *tunnel*,where is it?

2. On sailing ships, what is the Heel Block? and where is it used?

3. What was a *shot of chain* when refering to anchor chain?

4. How many shots in a averge ocean going anchor chain?

5. What type of anchor is on most ships today?

6. What is ebb tide? and flood tide?

7. What is the *height of tide*?

8. How does the turn a ship differ from the turn of a car?

Cruise/DCL:

1. How does a cruise ship (or any merchant ship for that matter) salute a Warship?

2. How does a Comomdor rank in a cruise line?

3. Where is the Boottop?

4. Who was the first Disney Captain on the Disney Magic?

5. What are the names of the small launches ued on Bay lake and 7 sevens lagoon?

6. What must every Officer, CM and passinger do on the ship, in regard to the Master?

7. Who is the God Mother of the Disney Fantasy? (hopefully it will be annouced before I have th answer this question! *G*)

enjoy! AKK

well, here comes some more.....

Easy:

4. What is a channel?

Harder:

Cruise/DCL:

1. How does a cruise ship (or any merchant ship for that matter) salute a Warship?

3. Where is the Boottop?

5. What are the names of the small launches ued on Bay lake and 7 sevens lagoon?

6. What must every Officer, CM and passinger do on the ship, in regard to the Master?

7. Who is the God Mother of the Disney Fantasy? (hopefully it will be annouced before I have th answer this question! *G*)

enjoy! AKK

Sorry been busy. Heres a few to keep it moving.

Easy:

Overhead

4. What is a channel?
the dug out portion of a sea bottom,that is marked to allow the safe passage of the average ship.

Harder:

Heavy
Ebb is slack, Flood is incoming.

The stern of a ship most of the time will swing opposite the direction of the turn.

Cruise/DCL:

Usually the most senior Capt.

3. Where is the Boottop?
If its what I am thinking, the line above the bottom paint, but below the hull color.

Capt tom Forberg

Do I have to answer this? Minnie Mouse

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter