Nautical Knowledge, series II.

Techie,

Youre close on some, and others, not so much. Though some are lmao.
On number 1, there is a specific location that Im looking for. I knew about where it was, and actually got someone from the ships tour to show it to me, and explain the difference.
On non DCL number 2 youre close. At least on the right track.

Enjoy:

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic? about where the forwards stairs are
2. The Wonder has a seam in the same place. Whats the difference? its for decoration purposes only, it was to make the ships look identical
4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired? looney toons
5. What happened to Premier Cruises? Went bankrupt
6. What can DCL do, that no other ship to date, has been able to do? fireworks at sea
7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do? radio beacons, Emergency Positioning Indicator Radio Beacon - helps locate when in distress

All I have. :)

Techie,

Youre close on some, and others, not so much. Though some are lmao.
On number 1, there is a specific location that Im looking for. I knew about where it was, and actually got someone from the ships tour to show it to me, and explain the difference.
On non DCL number 2 youre close. At least on the right track.

The two I knew of were on the bridge wing's, Port and Starboard in a kind of holder that would allow them to float free if the ship sunk!
That's what I remember from the Safety Familiarization lesson when we used to board each time for a new contract!
Video was shot on the Wonder of "scenarios" to a jean michel jarre track!

Ex Techie :)

The two I knew of were on the bridge wing's, Port and Starboard in a kind of holder that would allow them to float free if the ship sunk!
That's what I remember from the Safety Familiarization lesson when we used to board each time for a new contract!
Video was shot on the Wonder of "scenarios" to a jean michel jarre track!

There still there. Im almost positive, Ive seen some life rings on deck 10 that have EPIRBS attached now. I know they at least have a strobe. The effect is still the same if they are only strobes and not an EPIRB. The process would be the same if a EPIRB was launched/actrivated.

There still there. Im almost positive, Ive seen some life rings on deck 10 that have EPIRBS attached now. I know they at least have a strobe. The effect is still the same if they are only strobes and not an EPIRB. The process would be the same if a EPIRB was launched/actrivated.

I REALLY REALLY hope the two on the bridge wing's are there!

Good to hear they have more than just the rope on the life ring's now. I think they just has a light (similar to the one on the lifejacket's, that I hear now are strobes :thumbsup2, much more visable!)

BUT, I hope the process wouldn't be the same if a life ring thrown overboard.
One person in trouble. Beacon and strobe yep!

Bridge wing EPIRB overboard, a whole lotta more people in a whole lotta more serious trouble.

Saw the strobe's on the Concordia video's, but they were going off without salt water activation for some reason?

Ex Techie

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia on the Premier cruise line for those interested:

The Oceanic (Big Red Boat I) is still sailing today. On 23 April 2009 she was sold to Japan-based Peace Boat. The Big Red Boat II, formerly Eugenio Costa, was put up for sale and was laid up in Freeport, Bahamas. It had no potential buyers and remained there until 2005. It was eventually sold to the breakers and was scrapped in Alang, India in late 2005.[7] The Big Red Boat III, formerly Carnival Cruise Line's Festivale was also sold for scrap. The former Frederico C (called the Seabreeze I) was to be scrapped at India but instead sank in a storm 220 nautical miles (407 km) off the Virginia coast. Lastly, the Rembrandt, formerly the Rotterdam, was purchased by the city of Rotterdam, The Netherlands, to be restored and kept as a historic landmark

I REALLY REALLY hope the two on the bridge wing's are there!

Good to hear they have more than just the rope on the life ring's now. I think they just has a light (similar to the one on the lifejacket's, that I hear now are strobes :thumbsup2, much more visable!)

BUT, I hope the process wouldn't be the same if a life ring thrown overboard.
One person in trouble. Beacon and strobe yep!

Bridge wing EPIRB overboard, a whole lotta more people in a whole lotta more serious trouble.

Saw the strobe's on the Concordia video's, but they were going off without salt water activation for some reason?

Ex Techie

As far as the conclusion of the issue, the result is the same whether its a strobe or EPIRB. Theres a reason for it.

Both can be activated manually, and have been in the past.

The way I understand it, is that an EPIRB, must be mounted in a spot that it will float free if needed. BUT must also be able to be thrown clear. such as the Concordia, where she rolled, and prob didnt float her EPIRBS free.

As far as the conclusion of the issue, the result is the same whether its a strobe or EPIRB. Theres a reason for it.

Both can be activated manually, and have been in the past.

The way I understand it, is that an EPIRB, must be mounted in a spot that it will float free if needed. Agreed! :thumbsup2 BUT must also be able to be thrown clear. such as the Concordia, where she rolled, and prob didnt float her EPIRBS free.

But the Concordia's EPRB's could have been thrown overboard from the bridge wing's once she it the rock, BUT from the report's the Capt. delayed or mis understood the seriousness of what had happened.
The EPIRB, from Wiki:
"they are radiobeacons that interface with worldwide offered service of Cospas-Sarsat, the international satellite system for search and rescue (SAR). When manually activated, or automatically activated upon immersion, such beacons send out a distress signal. The signals are monitored worldwide and the location of the distress is detected by non-geostationary satellites, and can be located by trilateration in combination with triangulation, respecting the varying quality of the signal received.[1]"

I do not doubt a EPIRB "type" device being on the life ring's, but doubt they are a "full" type EPIRB as are on the bridge wing's.

A strobe in the middle of the atlantic wouldn't help the Magic/Wonder/Dream and soon to be Fantasy if they had a issue. A Radio beacon would help some, but the GPS part help's a lot more as it is monitored.

No argument, just thought's! :goodvibes

Ex Techie

A strobe in the middle of the atlantic wouldn't help the Magic/Wonder/Dream and soon to be Fantasy if they had a issue. A Radio beacon would help some, but the GPS part help's a lot more as it is monitored.

Nor would it help the crab fishermen on the Bering Sea :scared1:

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic?
Forwards Stairwell area.
2. The Wonder has a seam in the same place. Whats the difference?
The Wonder'scan't come apart evenly. It has staggered sheets of steel.
3. What is different about the design process of the Magic Class, vs the Dream Class?
Dream was mostly computer while the Magic was mostly Paper?
4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired?
No idea.
5. What happened to Premier Cruises?
Bankrupt.
6. What can DCL do, that no other ship to date, has been able to do?
Shoot fireworks onboard.
7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do?
Ni idea.
8. What happens when it gets wet with water?
The Light will…light
9. Who cares what happens to it, and what will they do with it?
No idea

Non DCL
1. On a paper chart, there are at least 5 different colors. Name 3.
Red, green Blue
2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they?
No idea.
3. On the same chart, there are numbers in a white field. What do they represent?
Ocean depth
4. What is Dead reckoning?
no idea.
5. While onboard a ship, you look to one side and see a large green cylinder floating in the water, with a red stripe in the middle. What is it and what does the colors represent.
Buoy, West side of canal
6. Farther along, you see a similar object, though this time, its red with a conical top. What is it and what are the Names of it.(Theres at least 2)
Bouy, East side of canal
7. Why is it important that a ship, that comes and goes from the same port, take on a pilot?
8. Who cares for these floating objects?

These are hard ones! But still fun.

A strobe, or a GPS locator?

In either case GPS locator will at least give the coast guard a position to send help via helo's, rescue vessel's and other ships to the last known location.

Ex Techie

Their rafts and survival suits have the EPIRBs on them, so I believe those are GPS locators and strobes. I love those boys :lovestruc

Enjoy:

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic? at the forward stairwell
2. The Wonder has a seam in the same place. Whats the difference?I didn't think Wonder was built in two halves. If it was, they were built in the same yard.
3. What is different about the design process of the Magic Class, vs the Dream Class? The Dream Class ships were designed entirely on a computer using three dimensional modeling.
4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired? Looney Toons
5. What happened to Premier Cruises? They went bankrupt and their ships were seized in whatever port they were in at the time.
6. What can DCL do, that no other ship to date, has been able to do?My first thought was the musical horn, but I'm gonna go with fireworks at sea.
7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do? Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon. It transmits a radio signal at a set frequency (406 MHz) notifying the authorities that there is a vessel in distress, the name of the vessel and the location of the vessel within 5km
8. What happens when it gets wet with water? they will automatically go off. most EPIRBs have a pressure sensor so that a wave or rain will not set it off.
9. Who cares what happens to it, and what will they do with it? Coast Guard. Launch S&R.

Non DCL
1. On a paper chart, there are at least 5 different colors. Name 3. White (Water), Blue (Shallow water), Green (tidal areas that may be uncovered during low tide).
2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they? undersea cables
3. On the same chart, there are numbers in a white field. What do they represent? depth to sea floor.
4. What is Dead reckoning? calculating your current position from a prior fix be using course, speed and elapsed time
5. While onboard a ship, you look to one side and see a large green cylinder floating in the water, with a red stripe in the middle. What is it and what does the colors represent. preferred channel to starboard. if the top color was red it would indicate preferred channel to port.
6. Farther along, you see a similar object, though this time, its red with a conical top. What is it and what are the Names of it.(Theres at least 2) Nun buoy. It marks the port side of the channel when heading toward open water.
7. Why is it important that a ship, that comes and goes from the same port, take on a pilot? tidal conditions can impact the channel and the captain of the ship may not be aware of these changes. The pilot knows and can anticipate the effects of weather and tide on the channel conditions.
8. Who cares for these floating objects? it depends on the location, but some are maintained by the Coast Guard, others by boating clubs or other private entities.

My answers are in red above.

Enjoy:

Hey this is great!......

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic?

The seam is vertical just a few feet aft of the Deck 3 side ports
3. What is different about the design process of the Magic Class, vs the Dream Class?

[/COLOR] I know on the M<agic there was a long draw out process to pick the right Naval design firm, One that matched the Disney design teams idea of a specail classic style vessel.

I thought the Wonder was done based on the Magic plans???[/COLOR]

4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired?

Looney Toons

Gone the way of many lines..out of business

Firworks of course!
7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do?

Emergency position Indicating Radio Beacon

When uprighted, the light goes off and the radio sends a homing radio signal. It does not have to become wet

:confused3

Non DCL

[COLOR="red"White, yellow, black, purple and light blue[/COLOR]

2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they?

[COLOR="red"]Botton Contours[/COLOR]

3. On the same chart, there are numbers in a white field. What do they represent?

Depth of water, either in feet or fathoms

A process to estimate your postion along your voyage, using a known position and estimating course, drift, speed, time.....plotting your estimated postion.

5. While onboard a ship, you look to one side and see a large green cylinder floating in the water, with a red stripe in the middle. What is it and what does the colors represent.

6. Farther along, you see a similar object, though this time, its red with a conical top. What is it and what are the Names of it.(Theres at least 2)

nun or channel bouy

7. Why is it important that a ship, that comes and goes from the same port, take on a pilot?

A pilot was great knowledge of local conditions, and the waters to be navigated. Althought the Master is in Command, the pilot does the actual navigation of the vessel.

USCG and local naigational aids, put in my local authorities are taken care of by local authorities.

AKK:thumbsup2

A strobe, or a GPS locator?

In either case GPS locator will at least give the coast guard a position to send help via helo's, rescue vessel's and other ships to the last known location.

Ex Techie

An EPRIP is the same as an ELT on aircraft. Both used to be monitored on VHF radio. Now they go direct to Satelites and are monitored 24/7. With in seconds of one going off agencies ar notified and SAR is started. It can get interesting if you set one off on accident.;)

Kevin

An EPRIP is the same as an ELT on aircraft. Both used to be monitored on VHF radio. Now they go direct to Satelites and are monitored 24/7. With in seconds of one going off agencies ar notified and SAR is started. It can get interesting if you set one off on accident.;)

Kevin

Hell Kevin, they also fine your butt off big time!....AKK

DCL related.
On the outside, port side, under lifeboat 10.You can see it standing on the walkway on deck 5. Same spot on the stbd side. That seam wil travel all the way around the ship,with a deviation of about 1/16th of an inch. Acording to the Magics designer, if the Magic were ever to suffer a crack in her hull, it would be anywhere but there. Its the strongest part on the ship.
The Wonders is for decoration only
For the Magic class, they built the ship around the hotel. For the Dream class, the built the ship, then stuck a hotel in it.
Looney Toons
They went bankrupt. Several of their ships are still sailing under different names, and at least 1 is to be or is a landmark in its namesake country.
Fireworks at sea
Emergency Position Indicator Radio Beacons. Sends an automated message asking for help.
It will activate, sending a signal to every ship and plane in the area, advertising its position and asking for help.
The USCG and other law enforcement agencies. If it is activated or falls of a ship, or released from a ship in a worst case scenario, one of the things that will happen is someone will find it, and remove it from the water, so after the search is over, no one will mistake it for a current emergency. If they are activated, by accident or on purpose, it will bring a vist by the CG or law enforcement. They dont like to go searching for something that isnt in immediate danger.

Non DCL
Yellow, blue, black, red, pink to name a few2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they?
Contour lines on the bottom. Tells how steep a drop off is
Depth of the water in a given measurement, usually in feet, though can be just about any measurement.

Can Buoy. The Green on top is the preferred side to pass the buoy on, though you can pass it on either side. Also used as a turning buoy where 2 channels meet. A solid Green buoy, is usually paired with a red nun buoy, to mark a channel.
Nun Buoy. Or Buoy. It is usually paired with a green can buoy.
A pilot, knows the location of every single hazzard area or concern for that area, along with which way sandbars shift, currents run in a given condition etc. He/She will advise the ships capt or master,the safest aproach thru the channel.
In the US, its the United States Coast Guard. They care, repair all aids to navigation, and mark all hazzards, channels etc

Ok next set

Easy:

1. What is the superstructure of a vessel?

2. What is the name of the large wide section of the hull at the very end of the bow?

3. Entering or leaving port, what flag is flown form the mast over the wheelhouse, on the right side of the yardarm?

4. What is the beam of a vessel?

5. What is LOA in reguard to the lenght of a vessel?

Harder:

1. What is a *compass Rose*?

2. How fast is a *knot*? (not the rope kind)

3. Where is shaft allley?

4. On which side of the ship is the Masters stateroom and the Cheif Engineers stateroom usually located?

5. What is *sail area* on a vessel?

Hardest:

1. What is a *water/foam monitor*?

2. What is a *hose snozzle(spl?)*?

3. What is a sextant?

4. How does a depth sounder work?

5. What is a *rouge wave*

DCL:

1. What is the name of the main dinning rooms of the classic vessels?

2. What country flag does the DCL vessels fly?

3. What charater is on the stern of the new Fantasy?

4. How many side thrusters does the classic vessels have?

5. The Classic vessels are approximatley the size of 2 WWII warships.
What type of warship?

Enjoy!:cool1:...................AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter