Myrtle Beach campgrounds

wifeofjack

Mouseketeer
As a trip to Disney is NOT in the plan for this year, with all the restrictions, we are considering a camping trip to Myrtle Beach. Have any of you camped at either Pirateland, Lakewood, or Ocean Lakes campgrounds? We toured them a few years ago, but did not camp there. The resort that we normally stay at is also not in the plan, as we prefer to have our own bed, linens, bathroom, kitchen etc. We do not want to take any chances with Coronavirus. Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.

In the 90s my parents would go to Lakewood. I went with them a few times in that era. I want to say 89, 91, 92 myself. My parents drove down by themselves leaving me home for work in 97,98, and 99 or 2000. My family and my parents decided to do an trip to Lakewood in 2013. Between getting there, being there, and coming back, we would look to go somewhere else. From my understanding many people seem to like Ocean Lakes. I see quite a few posts from that campground from people on RV pages I visit. I know a couple of people who have done Pirateland. But it seems like Lakewood and Ocean Lakes are more popular in my opinion.

We have been to Pirateland a few times. We took the kids there when they were young but in the fall, never in the summer when they were so busy. Fall is nice! Water is still warm and not as crowded. DH and i went back probably 5 years ago. Pirateland is on the end next to a state park and no hotels so beaches are pretty quiet. The wood shelters are pretty convenient, you dont have to put your awning out.
I have never stayed at Ocean Lakes or Lakewood.

As a trip to Disney is NOT in the plan for this year, with all the restrictions, we are considering a camping trip to Myrtle Beach. Have any of you camped at either Pirateland, Lakewood, or Ocean Lakes campgrounds? We toured them a few years ago, but did not camp there. The resort that we normally stay at is also not in the plan, as we prefer to have our own bed, linens, bathroom, kitchen etc. We do not want to take any chances with Coronavirus. Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.

We stayed at Ocean Lakes several years ago, but even then it was way too busy for us. It is not a place we would ever plan to stay again - am sure it is still nice, but just not for us. It is a huge resort, so it all depends on what you are looking for in a campground. The beach area was super crowded so not sure how they are handling that now.

We stayed at Ocean Lakes a few years back. @North of Mouse is correct. It is a nice place but busy and very large. Sites are a little close together.
We had great neighbors all around us, so that made a difference. Site we had was about 200' from the beach.
Beach volume when we were there (late July early August) crowded but manageable.
I think it just depends on when you're there, and yes, what you are looking for in a campground.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter