***MyMagic+ & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyman8

DIS Veteran and WDW Passholder
UPDATE:I've added some info regarding widespread resort testing. Information courtesy of Jimmysmom74.

Due to a recent increase in FP+ and MyMagic+ related threads, I thought I'd start up a thread with the basic (known) information about the matter along with an FAQ about it. I understand it's a touchy topic for many, but let's try to keep this as informational as possible. We can discuss it and ask questions about it of course! Also, feel free to bump the thread when you feel it's necessary.

MyMagic+ Overview

MyMagic+ (formerly known as "NextGen") is the the new "brand" of sorts that Walt Disney World is associating all of these new options and experiences with it. These include Disney FastPass+ (a stylistic change from the original Disney's FASTPASS), the MagicBand and RFID-enabled tickets (which allow touch-to-enter park admission and touch-to-pay resort charging), and the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app. A recent addition to MyMagic+ is also the new curbside check-in experience at all Disney Resort Hotels, allowing guests to check-in to their room anywhere in the lobby or as they're exiting their vehicle or DME.

The ultimate goal of MyMagic+ is to do two things: integrate newer technology into the guest experience and also improve the overall guest experience. In the process, MyMagic+ also gives Disney a better understanding of guests preferences, which can be used to improve marketing efforts. Here's more information about each component of MyMagic+.

Disney FastPass+ Service

Perhaps, the most well-known component of this new program is FastPass+ (referred to FP+). This new service will allow guests to reserve hour-long ride return times in advance of their vacation. For example, one could choose to reserve a 1:00 - 2:00pm return time for Space Mountain before leaving home. The catch with this program is that the amount of FP+s you can reserve for one given day is limited. At this point, the exact number of FP+s is unknown but is guessed to be 3 per day; it is also widely believed (per DisneyWorld.com's new terms and conditions) that guests will only be able to reserve FP+s at one park per day. Currently, it seems that FP+s can be reserved 60 days in advance. Right now, it has become confirmed that FP+ will be available to all day guests and AP holders in some form or another, along with Disney Resort Hotel guests, etc... might get a "bonus" amount in addition to the number given to the general public. Additionally, in the DisneyWorld.com T&C, it also states that FP+ and standard FP are indeed mutually exclusive. None of this is currently available in the parks and much of this is based on info from semi-credible sources like the DisneyWorld.com T&C.

MagicBands

Another major component of this program are MagicBands. These adjustable wristbands, in essence, have a tiny RFID chip inside, which act as a guest's park admission, charge card, room key, dining plan, and PhotoPass. These wristbands will be complimentary to all Disney Resort Guests and annual passholders (obviously the room key and DDP components will not be on MBs for them unless they're staying at a Disney Resort Hotel). MagicBands will, supposedly, come in a variety of colors. Day-guests can purchase MagicBands for an additional charge. All guests can choose to purchase "custom" MagicBand with such themes as PoTC, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, etc.... These bands are the mechanism for the touch-to-enter park admission entrances along with the touch-to-pay cash registers around property (for that you will need to assign yourself a PIN). Contrary to popular belief, the chips within the bands do NOT contain any personal information other than an ID number, which when pinged with Disney's system, accesses the needed information. These are also not available.

More information on MagicBands can be found on MouseMomx2's thread MagicBands 101.

My Disney Experience

Released in August 2012, the new My Disney Experience website and app will act as a link of sorts between the various platforms of MyMagic+. It's important to realize that, in order to use all of the features, one must have a Disney account. Online, a guest can link reservations (and, in the future, tickets) to their account. He or she can check park hours, entertainment/character schedules, attraction refurbishments, and use that info to create an itinerary. MDE also handles online check-in (now done 60 days in advance) and, at some point, will allow guests to make FP+ reservations. On the app, which serves as a successor to Mobile Magic, any logged-in guest (so doesn't have to be in the park) can view wait times, maps, entertainment schedules, dining reservations, and more. Of course, user can make ADRs with it also. At one point, guests will also be able to use the app to make FP+ changes on the fly. The app is available on the Apple App Store and the Android Google Play Store. While it is available, none of the FP+ features are available (these features will also be available at interactive kiosks around the parks for guests who don't have smartphones) yet and Mobile Magic is indeed still available I believe.

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) that some DISboard posters have asked.

When will MyMagic+ be available?

Currently, only the MDE app, touch-to-pay, touch-to-enter, and curbside check-in are available. While the official announcement back in Jan. said that the rollout would begin by "spring", that seems unlikely at this point. No announcement has been made about a new start date, but it seems that a slow rollout will begin sometime between the middle of September and October.

How much does MyMagic+ cost to use?

Much of the program is free of charge, but certain things (like the MagicBands) may require a purchase to use if you're not staying onsite.

Does everyone have to use MyMagic+?

No, MyMagic+ will be entirely opt-in, for example you could still request a standard RFID-enbabled KTTW card at check-in in leu of a MagicBand, but it is unclear if current systems (like the standard FASTPASS service) will still be available.

I'm planning an upcoming trip; what should I do?

Plan your vacation as you normally would but just keep an eye out for any invites on My Disney Experience. It wouldn't hurt to click the FastPass+ link once and a while.

Who will get to participate in MyMagic+?

Anyone who visits WDW will get to participate in one way or another.

What about annual passholders?

Since earlier this year, AP holders have had the chance to upgrade their existing passes into RFID-enabled ones at the Odyssey Center in Epcot. At some point in the future, MagicBands will be distributed to annual passholders for free. AP holders will have access to all the MDE app and site features should they qualify for them like everyone else (i.e. if they're staying at a Disney Resort Hotel, they can use online check-in). Where things get murky is FP+. The two "theories" about this are that AP holders will get 20 FP+s per quarter of the year, while the other theory is that AP holders will have three (or how many everyone else gets) FP+s per day. While there are problems with both theories, no official word from WDW on that.

What about DVC members?

It seems that DVC members will be treated basically the same as Disney Resort Hotel guests, but if they have APs, they will be treated also like AP holders.

Can I still enter the parks with an "old" ticket?

Yes, but expect longer lines to enter the parks, as roughly 60% of each of the parks' turnstiles are now for RFID-tickets only. The only exception being International Gateway where only about 30% of the turnstiles are RFID-enabled.

How will this affect other in-park guest services like the GAC and Rider Swap?

At this point, there's no indication either of these systems will be significantly changed to accommodate MyMagic+ and FP+.

Are these MagicBands safe and secure?

They seem completely safe. Disney further explains this on THIS webpage.

I hear there's some testing of MyMagic+ going on now. Which resorts are participating?

At this time, it seems like most resorts will be participating by the end of October. Those who rent DVC points probably won't be included in a test, but there's always the possibility. Here are some more specific dates compiled by poster Jimmysmom74.

Currently Testing

Disneys Art of Animation Resort
Disneys Pop Century Resort
Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
Disneys Polynesian Resort
Disneys Contemporary Resort
Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House
Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House Villas
Disneys Yacht Club Resort
Disney's Beach Club Resort and Villas

For check in after Sept 30
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter
Disney's Bay Lake Towers
Disney's All Star Movies

For Check in after Oct 7
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Boardwalk inn and villas
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's All Star Sports

For Check in after Oct 14
Disney's All Star Music
Disney's Old Key West Resort
Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Villas

For Check in after Oct 21
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort
Disney's Fort Wilderness

For check in after Oct 23
Grand Floridian Villas

In the future, when will I receive my MagicBand?

As of now, Disney has said that, if given enough (that terms to seems yet to be defined) notice, Disney will deliver these custom bands to guests' homes. If not given enough time or guests opt not for the delivery, they can be picked up at your resort hotel upon check-in.

Can I "bling out" my MagicBand?

Would Disney ever leave a merchandising opportunity vacant? CoverBands (covers with different characters and themes for your entire MagicBand), MagicSliders (frames for the "Mickey circle" on your band), and MagicBandits (basically larger and cheaper pins for a MagicBand) will all be available at one point. They may also be available as part of some tests. For more info, see THIS WDWNT post.

Okay, I've been selected for one of these MyMagic+ tests. Which attractions should I reserve my FastPass+s for?

Well, there isn't a ton of advice on this yet, because the system is so new. That said, the very knowledgable and generally awesome Mesaboy2 has come up with excellent rankings for FP+ priorities. Again, this list was created by Mesa, NOT ME and the original thread can be found HERE. Here's how his ranking system works.

Ranking System:
A - A must-get or risk waits of an hour or more.
B - Take it or leave it. Might make sense, depending on circumstances.
C - Chump. Rarely makes sense to get, but can also depend on circumstances.

*Attractions listed within the same priority group are in alphabetical order and not meant to suggest priority within the group.
Now, here are the rankings. Again, keep the the above in mind.

MAGIC KINGDOM

A - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
A - Enchanted Tales With Belle
A - Peter Pan's Flight
A - Space Mountain
A - Splash Mountain
B - Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
B - Haunted Mansion
B - Jungle Cruise
B - Main Street Electrical Parade *Does not always appear as an option
B - Meet Ariel at her Grotto
B - Meet Cinderella and a Princess Friend at Princess Fairytale Hall
B - Meet Rapunzel and a Princess Friend at Princess Fairytale Hall
B - Pirates of the Caribbean
B - Meet Rapunzel and a Princess Friend at Princess Fairytale Hall
B - The Barnstormer
B - The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
B - Tomorrowland Speedway
B - Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
C - Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade *Does not always appear as an option
C - Dumbo the Flying Elephant
C - Mad Tea Party
C - Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
C - Mickey's PhilharMagic
C - Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
C - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
C - Wishes *Does not always appear as an option

EPCOT

A - Soarin
A - Test Track
B - Maelstrom
B - Mission: Space
B - Turtle Talk With Crush
C - Captain EO
C - Journey Into Imagination With Figment
C - Living with the Land
C - Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
C - Spaceship Earth
C - The Seas with Nemo & Friends

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

A - Fantasmic *Does not always appear as an option
A - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
A - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
A - Toy Story Midway Mania
B - Star Tours
B - The Great Movie Ride
C - American Idol
C - Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage
C - Disney Junior - Live on Stage
C - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
C - Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
C - Muppet Vision 3D
C - Voyage of the Little Mermaid

ANIMAL KINGDOM

A - Expedition Everest
A - Kali River Rapids
A - Kilimanjaro Safaris
B - DINOSAUR
B - Festival of the Lion King
B - Finding Nemo
B - Primeval Whirl
C - It's Tough to be a Bug
C - Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
More Information & Links

For those interested in some great in-depth MyMagic+ coverage, DISboards poster bcrook has an excellent site at crooksinwdw.wordpress.com. Also, DISboards poster doconeil has an awesome site at wdwuntangled.com. For the official Disney Parks Blog announcement from Tom Staggs (Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman), see THIS link.

Major DISboards Threads

News Stories and Articles
Recent MyMagic+ Tests

May 2012 - FP+ test where guests choose FP+ attractions for MK after exiting DME
September 2012 - FP+ test where guests chose FP+ attractions for MK at home on fastpassplus.disney.go.com.
December 2012 - Similar FP+ test to the September one except this test included DHS along with MK
4/12-4/13 - MagicBand and FP+ testing at Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park for guests at AKL
4/22-4/27 - Fantasmic! FASTPASS testing at DHS
4/29-5/3 - Celebrate a Dream Come True & Main Street Electrical Parade FASTPASS testing at MK
6/20-6/22 - Guest Test of MagicBands and MyMagic+ at Disney's Contemporary and Animal Kingdom Lodge Resorts
7/22-7/24 - DVC Member (and point renter) Test of MyMagic+ at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
August onwards - Guest Test of MyMagic+ at various Disney Resorts with rollout beginning in October

MyMagic+ Development Timeline

2007 - Development on xPASS and NextGen begins
2009 - Bob Iger comments about NextGen and makes the world aware that it's being developed
Late 2009 - Mobile Magic is launched by Verizon
May 2012 - First official test of FP+ is conducted at MK
August 2012 - My Disney Experience app is launched
September 2012 - Second test of FP+ is conducted at MK; guests can reserve their ride times before leaving home online
December 2012 - Third test of FP is conducted just like September's but also at DHS in addition to MK; new DisneyWorld.com website is launched
January 2013 - Disney Parks executive Tom Staggs officially announces the program via the Disney Parks Blog
April 2013 - MagicBand and FP+ testing at Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park for guests at AKL; Fantasmic! FASTPASS testing at DHS; Celebrate a Dream Come True & Main Street Electrical Parade FASTPASS testing at MK
May 2013 - Tom Staggs, Disney Parks President, speaks about MyMagic+ at annual D11: All Things Digital conference
June 2013 - First official MagicBand and MyMagic+ test
July & August 2013 - More widespread testing of MyMagic+ components occurs
September or October 2013 - Slow Rollout of MyMagic+ begins

Thanks, andyman8. Very informative. I'll be keeping tabs on this thread for sure.

you stated this is known information but a lot of what you have here is speculation. you might want to change that to known information and rumors to be more accurate. otherwise people will assume everything you have here is actually how it will work, which it may or may not.

I appreciate the information you've gathered and taken time to post. I realize that things can and will likely change but so much has changed since our trip last fall and I was uncertain how to even begin to understand the recent changes. Now I have a start for our trip this fall and will keep an eye on this thread as new updates are made. Thanks!

you stated this is known information but a lot of what you have here is speculation. you might want to change that to known information and rumors to be more accurate. otherwise people will assume everything you have here is actually how it will work, which it may or may not.

I actually repeatedly stated that the information is based on the DisneyWorld.com Guest Experience Terms and Conditions which is (at least to me) should be believed considered it's coming directly from the company. I also used bcrook's threads as a guide for this (special thanks to him), but thanks for the clarification, I'll try to make it a bit clearer!:thumbsup2

Just a couple of things...My daughter has a friend working on the Band and here are a couple of nuggets...1st 3 fastpasses per day and only in one park...so if you want to park hop only fastpasses in one park..2nd only 1 fastpass per tier ride for instance Toy Story, RR and Tower of terror are all tier 1 rides at studios according to her friend only 1 fastpass per day for 1 of these...Also the Fastpass machines in the parks will be going away....But they will be adding more fastpasses for access .

Just a couple of things...My daughter has a friend working on the Band and here are a couple of nuggets...1st 3 fastpasses per day and only in one park...so if you want to park hop only fastpasses in one park..2nd only 1 fastpass per tier ride for instance Toy Story, RR and Tower of terror are all tier 1 rides at studios according to her friend only 1 fastpass per day for 1 of these...Also the Fastpass machines in the parks will be going away....But they will be adding more fastpasses for access .

So FP+ will be the only fastpass available?

So FP+ will be the only fastpass available?

no one knows. the terms just say you can't use FP+ and the current fast pass system. Obviously magic bands can't fit in the current machines so that part makes sense. They have said they will have kiosks in the park but will you be able to just change your fastpass+ reservations or reserve day of passes?

that's why this information will confuse many because its all speculation from this point and terms and conditions can and will change.

This may be a silly question....BUT, we usually book through our AAA agent, she's awesome! Will we miss out on any of these new things by not booking directly through Disney?:confused3

Is there a reputable source for this business about only one pass per ride tier? That would severely hamper My Disney Experience at the parks!

It also seems weird they would do something so damaging to park hopping since they push it so much...

Matt

Excellent work Andy. I hope we can keep it open.

To be honest, that's my concern, but we'll see. On a side note, I must thank you as your initial threads and page served as the real inspiration and model for this one so thank you so much; truly an incredible set of threads you had going earlier this year! I've tried to make notice to you as many times as I could in the initial post, but I'll do it again: a real spectacular job at www.crooksinwdw.wordpress.com!:goodvibes

I hope it stays open this time, too! Glad to have a thread where I can keep my eye on these changes. Just glad FP+ is not active for my trip this month. I can live with it if its live in August since just DGrD and I and we are splitting the trip with USF/SeaWorld/Legoland. Then my family will be taking a break from WDW until we see how this works out. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Thanks so much for this thread! Originally I was hoping to get a magic band for my trip this month but that's not gonna happen, lol. I am getting a FL resident weekday select annual pass and going back in December for a few days. Hope everything is up and running then so I can try it all out.

The more I hear about FP+ the less I want to use it...3 fastpasses a day is laughable!

We are DVC members and I plan our vacations carefully but the thought of planning 60 days out what time we will want to ride a certain ride is not my idea of fun. Who knows what will actually be going on at that time when we get there. I have a 1, 9 and 11 year old and I have no idea how the 1 year old will react to things. Part of vacation is being able to go with the flow and not be stuck on a timetable that is just stressing everyone out. It seems to me we might end up waiting in lines rather than enjoying the parks...I see my yearly vacations being spent elsewhere in the future if all these rumors are true.

Thanks for this...it should prove very useful as we sort through the developments in the testing phase. :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone for all the gracious comments; just hoping that this can help cut down on the number of "what FP+?" threads.:goodvibes

Thanks everyone for all the gracious comments; just hoping that this can help cut down on the number of "what FP+?" threads.:goodvibes

I wouldn't bet on it. ;) Having a ticket sticky doesn't seem to have cut down on the number of "can I buy extra days instead of buying a park hopper?" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter