My WDW Monorail Model

Looks good. But I'd hate to have to stand around all day and change the switch for the track. Isn't there something you can pick up that would "Y" out?

Sure I could, but I wanted to set it up the way it was designed using the switching station. Besides, it make it more fun to play with, otherwise you just stand there looking at it lol.

And me, I think I'd prefer to just let it run and take in the grand scope rather than get caught up in watching for trains getting caught at the switch.

Sure I could, but I wanted to set it up the way it was designed using the switching station. Besides, it make it more fun to play with, otherwise you just stand there looking at it lol.

I agree, the interaction is part of the fun, like we are operating the monorail system instead of just watching it. Great Layout! :)

What motor upgrade are you running?
I did not upgrade the motor yet. Im still looking for a service to do it for me. They all seem to have dissolved. In the meantime I have converted the monorail to be powered by a 9Volt battery. It increases the speed but decreases the lenght of time the battery lasts. I can easily convert it back to AA when I want to. If you know anyone who will upgrade the motors for me, please let me know.

I did not upgrade the motor yet. Im still looking for a service to do it for me. They all seem to have dissolved. In the meantime I have converted the monorail to be powered by a 9Volt battery. It increases the speed but decreases the lenght of time the battery lasts. I can easily convert it back to AA when I want to. If you know anyone who will upgrade the motors for me, please let me know.

I do motor upgrades although it is usually part of a full radio control package. I use Tamiya race car motors (with upgraded brushes), their Torque Tuned motor works well. I am experimenting with a ProSlot slot car motor that is a high quality unit, it needs some slight modification to work with the lower voltage (it is designed for 12 Volts) but the performance and longevity looks promising.

The original power switch is marginal and may not last long with a significant power increase, one monorail enthusiast sent me a monorail red with a burned out power switch (which I replace with a solid state version).

I purchased a Tamiya motor as an experiment, but have not yet tried to put it in. I'm somewhat nervous about the soldering, but need to just give it a whirl. I am working on a single track layout, but with a monorail barn with all 12 monorails. I have yet to figure out exactly how to be able to select which monorail I want to run. Bob, I am going to send you an email about the cost of the R/C upgrade and some questions about what you are using for track.

Yep, I have a video of a Disneyland Mark VII conversion on YouTube at:

The roof beacon goes on, followed by the headlights. The monorail slowly accelerates (under inertia control) then the power is cut when it has made one full loop, decelerating with inertia. This is not full speed, the monorail completes the circle in about 12 seconds at full speed. Note that the rear cab has lights that flash in a warning pattern.

For more fun but in a smaller scale, here is my N scale monorail:

Our Monorail Modelers website has sections on the RC conversion and on our N scale model but the third section is all about information on Disney's model monorails, including a short list of the parts we use for the RC conversion. I encourage others to look at this and to try doing a conversion on their own. I am glad to provide help via email!

I salute all who are keeping this hobby alive. Such a cool concept. :earsboy:

I salute all who are keeping this hobby alive. Such a cool concept. :earsboy:

Thanks! I don't know of anyone else who modifies the Disney monorails, all the ones I knew of have quit. It is not much of a money maker, I get emails maybe twice a month and fewer than one out of 10 is serious enough to follow through. Most of what I make from this goes back into parts and research for the next generation, for instance I bought 8 motors before finding one that has a good balance of speed and battery life.

My upcoming retirement (31 December) will allow me to invest much more time into modifying Disney monorails and working on the N scale versions. Some of the new ideas in development are: a flexible beam switch like the real one, motorized with optional remote control; improved sound with 6-8 selectable audio clips; an N scale Mk 1 that is smaller than the WDW version (will look good on an Olszewski Main Street layout).

Hello! I have been building an elevated monorail to go around my office. It is almost complete with just one more section to be figured out. I have to hang EPCOT from the ceiling to complete the circuit. I have been 3D printing the track connectors so they can also be secured to the wall, and also for the track to travel across the doorway transom. So far it is working great! But in its climb the current motor is struggling a bit and I am looking to install a stronger motor. As awesome as doing all the other mods like lights and upgraded sound and remote, for now I just want to get it running better. Bob can you direct me to your site for motor upgrades as that is next on my list to finish this office project (for now anyway!) Thx!

So far it is working great! But in its climb the current motor is struggling a bit and I am looking to install a stronger motor.

A quick question: are you using NiMH batteries?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!