My Target Red Card Experience

On my cruise last month, I was told to hold on to my gift cards. Fortunately, I was able to apply them to my account over several days and no one was ever in line at guest services, so no taking up other people's time. The CMs weren't busy when I approached the desk. I'm not sure how this would work if I had a high number of cards (i think I only had 6 total). I used them for extras, not to apply to the total cost of the trip because I don't want to get stuck with Disney gift cards that total over thousands of dollars.

I just came back from a trip and paid with gift cards. My original deposit was on a cc. The cm at poly was extremely nice. Unfortunately, there was a problem with our room and we were offered a refund on one of our nights. We did not get the refund until we got home, but they simply applied it to the original credit card I used. No issue with gift card. Now- the card I used was now expired. We worked it out, but they said they would issue me a refund through the mail if we hadn't straightened it out.
I agree that the PP was a little unclear. People were concerned that Disney would keep the unused credits from the gift cards. I do not think Disney would keep your credit. They would work it out as they did with my situation. They are trying to avoid confusion by letting people know that gc will not be refunded. But I fully believe they will work with you if you have a credit.

I just came back from a trip and paid with gift cards. My original deposit was on a cc. The cm at poly was extremely nice. Unfortunately, there was a problem with our room and we were offered a refund on one of our nights. We did not get the refund until we got home, but they simply applied it to the original credit card I used. No issue with gift card. Now- the card I used was now expired. We worked it out, but they said they would issue me a refund through the mail if we hadn't straightened it out.
I agree that the PP was a little unclear. People were concerned that Disney would keep the unused credits from the gift cards. I do not think Disney would keep your credit. They would work it out as they did with my situation. They are trying to avoid confusion by letting people know that gc will not be refunded. But I fully believe they will work with you if you have a credit.

Totally different than what the CM told me. As Colleen mentioned previously in this thread, us regulars know that Disney is very inconsistent at times with many policies, gift cards included.

And by the way, you are correct. I did say that funds would not be refunded, so this CM said to make sure we knew how much we would spend, as we would not be refunded back in any way.

Is she wrong? Maybe...this was our experience, and your mileage may vary, which is one of Disney's biggest problems, IMHO.

Inconsistency in policy is a big problem at Disney...

Tiger

Tiger, no one here is saying that you're wrong. We're (or at least I'm ) saying the CM is either wrong and doesn't have the full story. They'd have a revolt on their hands if they just suddenly say "Oh yeah hey we're keeping your money, sorry!!". You HAVE explained what you heard very clearly. The replies I don't think are to you specifically, just to what you heard.

Tiger, no one here is saying that you're wrong. We're (or at least I'm ) saying the CM is either wrong and doesn't have the full story. They'd have a revolt on their hands if they just suddenly say "Oh yeah hey we're keeping your money, sorry!!". You HAVE explained what you heard very clearly. The replies I don't think are to you specifically, just to what you heard.

And there has been some misunderstanding, because many of the replies (my first one included) have been addressing situations beyond the very narrow scope of what Tiger is saying - she's reporting back specifically about applying gift cards at check in to cover charges made to the room account, not to booking packages or dining or tours or other pre-paid experiences with GCs.

I've yet to come across a CM who knows how to apply a GC in advance to a room account - I've always been told I had to come back before the CC on file is run if I want to pay my room charge with a GC, so I have absolutely no experience at all with what the refund policy for gift cards credited in advance might be. But I will try again next trip and see what I'm told then.

To avoid all of this why not just keep track of what you charge and apply the gc's daily if you'd like?

No worries to me at all. I just reported a very specific experience re: applying gift cards at check-in.

Again, there can be no revolt if that is the policy and it is clearly explained to guests at check-in.

As soon as I get a response from Disney, I will let everyone know.

And there has been some misunderstanding, because many of the replies (my first one included) have been addressing situations beyond the very narrow scope of what Tiger is saying - she's reporting back specifically about applying gift cards at check in to cover charges made to the room account, not to booking packages or dining or tours or other pre-paid experiences with GCs.

I've yet to come across a CM who knows how to apply a GC in advance to a room account - I've always been told I had to come back before the CC on file is run if I want to pay my room charge with a GC, so I have absolutely no experience at all with what the refund policy for gift cards credited in advance might be. But I will try again next trip and see what I'm told then.

Yes, thank you. Exactly what I have been saying...my experience is a very specific one related to check-in procedures.

To avoid all of this why not just keep track of what you charge and apply the gc's daily if you'd like?

Yes, this is what I mentioned as an alternative as the CM specifically encouraged this. Seems she is implying an issue with the refund process back to the original gift card.

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That's what I've been doing, more or less. I don't apply them daily but I keep track of my spending and apply the GCs if I'm getting close to the limit as well as when I return to my resort on the last night of my stay.

That's part of why I don't do the Target discount thing. We get 2% back in tuition credits if I buy through the scrip program at my kids' school but there I can get $1000 cards so I only need to keep track of a few. Our Target only has up to $100 denominations and I don't want to hold on to 30 or 40 cards just in case I need to cancel! I don't mind the money being tied up on gift cards because I know we'll use them eventually but I'd like to use as few cards as possible to have less to keep track of. The extra 3% savings isn't worth paying off the trip in $100 pieces.

We have the scrip program throughI don't buy the disney cards through my kids school too. I do buy the Walgreens cards because they allow you to change them in for Disney cards or Visa gift cards. I buy the Walgreen's at 6% and use them to buy Visa g.c in $500 increments. It does cost me $5/visa card but I still come out $25 out in tuition reimbursment! I have 5 kids in private school and this trip by itself with save me over a month of tutions!

Totally different than what the CM told me. As Colleen mentioned previously in this thread, us regulars know that Disney is very inconsistent at times with many policies, gift cards included.

And by the way, you are correct. I did say that funds would not be refunded, so this CM said to make sure we knew how much we would spend, as we would not be refunded back in any way.
Tiger

The inconsistency is extremely annoying, I guess that's what happens when you have so many employees.
I didn't read your early responses as saying no refund in any way, it sounded to me like you were specifying they wouldn't put it on the gift card. It really doesn't matter, at this point it is clear what you were told.

Speaking of inconsistency, last year we did a split stay at POP and YC. On arrival day at POP I pulled out a stack of gift cards and she started scanning them. Just before we hit the full amount of our stay, the CM commented that she wasn't sure if she would be able to go over the balance, but just kept going and put a few hundred extra dollars on. During that week I went down to the lobby I think three times with more cards to pay us off up to date plus some. I always walked away with a positive balance.

We went over to Yacht club and did the same thing there. I left the counter with a positive balance at check in and twice more during that part of our stay. Other than that very first person nobody even said anything, they just scanned the cards I had.

It might in part be that I never asked, I just handed them the cards and said "I need to apply these to my room." So they did.

ETA: Just to be sure I'm not crazy, I still have the receipts from the hotels so I checked them just now and sure enough you can see we had a positive balance all those times. Above and beyond the total for our room stay price.

So, happy. Got the RX extra 5% and went to Target. Got $2200 in GC for $1985.40. We pay off the hotel room when we get to the resort and then apply another $100-$200 to the account. We apply more GC when necessary.

So, happy. Got the RX extra 5% and went to Target. Got $2200 in GC for $1985.40. We pay off the hotel room when we get to the resort and then apply another $100-$200 to the account. We apply more GC when necessary.

Random question; do the pharmacy reward coupons have an expiration date on them?

UPDATE

Finally heard back from Executive Office today regarding my experience @ Boardwalk Resort and using gift cards upon check-in.

CM who assisted me was incorrect, as Disney continues to have the same payment policy: whatever method you pay, the refund will be applied in this manner. The CM supervisor whom I spoke with today has sent a memo to all resorts, as well spoken to the the team lead at Boardwalk, so he/she can review the policy will all of their staff.

She said the CM must give you back your gift cards, so that any refund can be applied back to those cards. They will not issue checks or cash refunds whatsoever, if you have used a gift card at check-in, so you must keep them if you think you will be owed a refund.

She said the best way is to apply the gift cards in small amounts, should you be worried about not spending all of the gift card money, or losing your gift card. In that event, you will not be refunded until you can produce the gift card used at check-in.

She apologized for my experience, and said thanks for bringing it to their attention, as it shows that they need to re-train some CMs in this procedure.

Hope this info helps, Tiger

UPDATE

Finally heard back from Executive Office today regarding my experience @ Boardwalk Resort and using gift cards upon check-in.

CM who assisted me was incorrect, as Disney continues to have the same payment policy: whatever method you pay, the refund will be applied in this manner. The CM supervisor whom I spoke with today has sent a memo to all resorts, as well spoken to the the team lead at Boardwalk, so he/she can review the policy will all of their staff.

She said the CM must give you back your gift cards, so that any refund can be applied back to those cards. They will not issue checks or cash refunds whatsoever, if you have used a gift card at check-in, so you must keep them if you think you will be owed a refund.

She said the best way is to apply the gift cards in small amounts, should you be worried about not spending all of the gift card money, or losing your gift card. In that event, you will not be refunded until you can produce the gift card used at check-in.

She apologized for my experience, and said thanks for bringing it to their attention, as it shows that they need to re-train some CMs in this procedure.

Hope this info helps, Tiger

Yes it does help Tiger - thank you! Now we won't have to worry about a revolt! :goodvibes

Thanks for taking the time to update us!

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter