My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

Other than directly from Fold and Go, is there any where to rent on and try it? I live in the Atlanta area in the N GA mountains and we are planning a trip to Disney in mid Oct.? If I am reading this thread correctly I think WDW used to rent them in MK but no longer do so. is this correct?

I spoke with my doctor about Medicare helping to pay for one and he laughed and said he had tried in the past and spent hours on paper work to no avail. So I guess I need to find a way to completely pay for it myself. But I would feel so much better if I could try one first.
Fold & Go used to offer rental as an alternative to buying or a way to try before you buy. I believe they stopped this some time in 2019 or 2020 due to not having enough excess inventory to sustain rentals. I've never heard of them selling power wheelchairs to other organizations that would rent them out.

All that being said, there are some places that rent power wheelchairs, but they are usually hesitant to rent you one unless you have prior experience using one. From personal experience, steering a power wheelchair is very different from an ECV. There's definitely a learning curve there.

Still, it wouldn't hurt for you to contact Fold & Go to see if there might be an option. Their email address and phone number are listed at the top of their website. They're in Austin, TX, so it might be possible to go there and try one out (long drive or shorter flight for you, not cheap I'm sure).

Other than directly from Fold and Go, is there any where to rent on and try it? I live in the Atlanta area in the N GA mountains and we are planning a trip to Disney in mid Oct.? If I am reading this thread correctly I think WDW used to rent them in MK but no longer do so. is this correct?

I spoke with my doctor about Medicare helping to pay for one and he laughed and said he had tried in the past and spent hours on paper work to no avail. So I guess I need to find a way to completely pay for it myself. But I would feel so much better if I could try one first.

I guess you could ask someone who already owns one if you could take it for a joyride. I saw somebody with the new model and I was freaking out and she asked if I wanted to try it ou, so I did and ever since then, I’ve been scheming to get my mom to let me buy one…

When I was going to originally buy my first TravelScoot, I was *really* hesitant - I mean, who drops $2500 on a device you have never seen in person?

I finally called the company, and asked if they had any to rent, or if they had any used units for sale. They were very kind, and said that no, they did not rent, and did not sell used units, but... they could possibly help me find someone in my part of the country that I could talk to, and possibly test drive a unit. They also pointed me to Craigslist and eBay, where I eventually found a used TravelScoot for sale at a much reduced price. In the end, I talked (via email) to an owner who lived about 8 hours away, but she gave me enough information (and reassurance) that I felt comfortable buying the used scooter. I loved it so much that eventually, my husband bought me a brand-new "upgraded" version. I later was able to pay that forward when I worked with another DISboards member about her purchase of a used TravelScoot in her area (it was for her husband). 🙂

When it came time to look at the Fold & Go, I felt more comfortable listening to actual users, and working directly with the company to get questions answered prior to purchase. I never got to actually pull the trigger - our (adult) daughter purchased it for me as a gift, and all I had to do was decide the color!

If I were in your shoes, I would continue to ask questions of actual users, and I would call F&G with any other questions you might have. I do know that they have several give-aways every year that you can enter, as well as Military & first-responder discounts. They also have financing through Affirm, and the "Rentals" page is still here, but indicates they currently have no chairs available. (I presume that is due to the pandemic; adequately sanitizing the chair when it comes back from a rental might be quite the thing!)

You can check with your doctor and insurance company; they do have information about insurance reimbursement.

I would also ask F&G if they know of anyone who is seeking to sell a used chair at a discount; that might be a "gateway" at a less expensive price. F&G still supports their earlier models, and if you were able to find a good, used one, it might then at least sell at a break-even when you were ready to move to a new F&G chair.

Like many folks here, I don't just blindly recommend my chair for the referral bonus; because I don't post my own name, I never get the bonus from them, and that's not why I post about it to begin with. I post because I know that other's information helped me realize that F&G was the right choice for me, and this is a way to pay that forward. There is a possibility that the F&G chair might not be the right solution for you; only you can decide that. For me, it has been, and I recommend their chairs without any compensation or affiliation because I appreciate the freedom and mobility that it has given me.

For a cruise, is this F&G better, or is it preferable to rent a scooter?

I’d say bring your own device, because some scooter rentals will only allow the GoGo type scooters be rented for the cruise and those don’t have the seats that are comfortable for all dayers.

Hello from Southern California. We stumbled upon this wonderfully informative post and have a few questions. We were hoping to rent a Fold & Go Magshock for our 10 year old granddaughter. She has muscle tone issues that limit her ability to stand or walk for more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, Fold & Go wrote back that they no longer rent.

Additionally, there are not any lightweight folding ones for rent at local wheelchair rental shops.

We emailed Comfy Go and they do not rent either.

Fold & Go will not be in town until March 4-6 for the expo, so she can't even try one till then.

We have checked Craigslist-Wheelchairs for Sale-Ebay but there are no simple/lightweight/inexpensive ones listed.

Our granddaughter has shared with her PT that she is hesitant about using a motorized wheelchair...but... she has grown and we old folks are hesitant continuing to maneuver her in her push chair on our outings to Disneyland and such ;)
Our hope is to rent any motorized-folding-lightweight-joystick controlled chair for a couple weeks, take her to parks and botanic gardens to get used to it, then encourage her parents to buy a Fold & Go :)
Any creative ideas welcome :)

Hello from Southern California. We stumbled upon this wonderfully informative post and have a few questions. We were hoping to rent a Fold & Go Magshock for our 10 year old granddaughter. She has muscle tone issues that limit her ability to stand or walk for more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, Fold & Go wrote back that they no longer rent.

Additionally, there are not any lightweight folding ones for rent at local wheelchair rental shops.

Fold & Go will not be in town until March 4-6 for the expo, so she can't even try one till then.

We have checked Craigslist-Wheelchairs for Sale-Ebay but there are no simple/lightweight/inexpensive ones listed.

Our granddaughter has shared with her PT that she is hesitant about using a motorized wheelchair...but... she has grown and we old folks are hesitant continuing to maneuver her in her push chair on our outings to Disneyland and such ;)
Our hope is to rent any motorized-folding-lightweight-joystick controlled chair for a couple weeks, take her to parks and botanic gardens to get used to it, then encourage her parents to buy a Fold & Go :)

With the Fold & Go, you can get a caregiver control where you can maneuver her from behind using the joystick.

I would encourage you to take her to the abilities expo. It wasn’t as hard to maneuver as I thought it would be. We went to the Expo in Houston and that’s where I decided to buy it for sure.

Hello from Southern California. We stumbled upon this wonderfully informative post and have a few questions. We were hoping to rent a Fold & Go Magshock for our 10 year old granddaughter. She has muscle tone issues that limit her ability to stand or walk for more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, Fold & Go wrote back that they no longer rent……

You might find it difficult to rent a power wheelchair for a 10 year old. Most companies won’t rent to someone under 18.

I‘d suggest being very cautious about renting a power wheelchair for her if she’s already expressed being hesitant to use one. It could end badly and turn her off from using one at all if she’s not worked thru her hesitancy. You need her and her parents to be onboard with it to be a success.
If her PT has talked to her about power wheelchairs, it sounds like the PT feels she would benefit from one and qualify for one. If she qualifies, insurance should pay most of the cost. When your granddaughter is ready, the PT can arrange a fitting of a power wheelchair for her, along with a free trial. The PT would also write up the justification of need and get an MD prescription for insurance coverage.

Have you tried calling Deckerts inn Orange County (CA) and explaining the situation? They seem to be the go to out here for out of the ordinary needs

Hello, I am also in Southern California and have the Heavy-Duty Fold & Go (the precursor to the MagShock). If we are close enough to each other, I would be willing to meet up and let your granddaughter test drive/ride my chair. It would only be while I was there supervising and not letting anyone take it home. I think the main difference is mine is steel instead of magnesium and weighs 55 pounds.

Travelscoot (website here) is *not* a wheelchair, but is a personal mobility device that has a seat back to help support her. Previously they had a "grow up" program that allows smaller children to start with an appropriate sized frame, and then "graduate" to the adult sized frame at the right time. You will need to speak to Tony or Bonnie at their US office 1-800-342-2214 for more information.

Prior to needing my Fold & Go, I used the heck of out my Travelscoot - literally drove it so much I had to replace the tires! I ride without the seat back, (to help keep my core strong) and I have the red fabric "storage" triangle you will see pictured at the website. It holds a startling amount of stuff, more than you think it will. Disclaimer: Mine is the "2nd generation", which was notable for the first time they used a hub motor; the prior model had a belt-driven motor. The new version has an entirely different folding mechanism that *really* makes me wish I could get a new one!

It is about the same price as a Fold & Go, but with the added benefit of having the "tricycle" type design - most folks - kids included - grasp how to use it quickly and easily. With a Crampbuster on the throttle, it should be fairly easy for her to drive. Bonus for family members (and her, later when she starts to drive) it weighs less than 35 pounds without the rider, and will fold down easily to fit into the trunk of a car, or the back of an SUV. Because I don't have the seat back installed, I can even just "park" mine in the back of my Kia Soul. (In the picture below, you can see that I have modified the seat - it's *fancy* now!)

There are modifications that can be made to make it "fit" your granddaughter really well. The center of gravity is well-placed, and because there is a single motor, (on the left rear) if the user needs to turn a tight circle, they only have to crank the tiller hard to the right. You can almost spin on a dime.

You can search out some of my other posts here about my Travelscoot for more information - just look for the ones that mention "Angus" (I named mine after Princess Merida's horse, because like her Angus, mine always gets me home again from our adventures!). You can also PM me with any questions, and I will do my best to answer.

It's just an idea - but I know that when I was orginally searching for my first mobility device, I didn't want a wheelchair, I didn't want a "granny scooter", I wanted something... different. Something cooler, and easy to use, easy to transport and store. My Travelscoot met all those criteria and more. Angus would still be my primary mobility device today if I could.

Oh - and Tony (the guy you will see in their YouTube videos) is friendly, and has posted tons of videos on YouTube about how to maintain the Travelscoot (there isn't much to do, but they share it freely). My husband is an A&P mechanic for a major domestic carrier, and he loves Travelscoot because they are so well made, and so well engineered.

WOW!!! We are soooo appreciative of all of you!!

Evita_W Thank you! We will call Deckerts today!

Sue_M in MN Thank you! It is good to hear that it could be covered by insurance.

MS_Warrior Thank you! Yes, we look forward to taking her to the abilities expo. We just wish it was sooner than March.

mamabunny Thank you! We had NEVER seen the Travelscoot. We have now watched nearly ALL of their videos. It is a BRILLIANT design! Our granddaughter currently rides an adult tricycle, so this might be a winner! We LOVE how light the Travelscoot is too! Any chance you have interacted with their "Crampbuster" ? We were thinking a joystick would be easy for her to use for an extended period of time, but this adaptive piece might work just as well.

Jeanette Allen WOW! Thank you! That is a generous offer! We are new to this board, so if there is a way to send us a private message, we could share what city they live in and if that works for you, chat with her parents to see if we could set up a date to take you up on this incredible offer.

Again, thank you all!
If we go out on an adventure we push her in a transport chair.
Although it is safe and efficient, we would like to see her have a bit more independence.
Also, pushing 80 pounds up hills or on gravel is challenging.

Fold & Go has sent us a photo of a child of similar stature using their chair,
and
now we have seen the Travelscoot,
so we have two good options.

Thank you!!

Sue_M in MN Thank you! It is good to hear that it could be covered by insurance.

MS_Warrior Thank you! Yes, we look forward to taking her to the abilities expo. We just wish it was sooner than March.

mamabunny Thank you! We had NEVER seen the Travelscoot. We have now watched nearly ALL of their videos. It is a BRILLIANT design! Our granddaughter currently rides an adult tricycle, so this might be a winner! We LOVE how light the Travelscoot is too! Any chance you have interacted with their "Crampbuster" ? We were thinking a joystick would be easy for her to use for an extended period of time, but this adaptive piece might work just as well.

Jeanette Allen WOW! Thank you! That is a generous offer! We are new to this board, so if there is a way to send us a private message, we could share what city they live in and if that works for you, chat with her parents to see if we could set up a date to take you up on this incredible offer.

Again, thank you all!
Although it is safe and efficient, we would like to see her have a bit more independence.

and

Thank you!!

I’m unsure on private messages here. If you use FaceBook, I am Jeanette Ball Allan on there. I live in South Orange County, California close to the El Toro Y.

Again, thank you all!

and

Thank you!!

Yes - as a matter of fact, I have used the Crampbuster for years now. I would not be able to use the TravelScoot without it because of issues with my hands. I can either depress the lever with my thumb, or the heel of my palm, and it still allows the same finer, more granular control of the speed of the unit. It’s very simple to install, and I have been using the same one for more than 7 years now (Wow, it’s doesn’t seem like it’s been that long!)

I happened to be speaking with Becky at TravelScoot on Wednesday, and told them that I had given you all information about them; she said they would love to talk with you if you have any questions, so feel free to call them.

I have both a Fold & Go, and a TravelScoot, and if I could, I would use the TravelScoot over the F&G. I love how easy it is to ride, how compact it is overall and that I can lift it in and out of my car unassisted. I love Figgy (my F&G chair) but he’s 15 pounds heavier - and my hand gets very tired when trying to use the joystick for very long. I’m getting a custom-made “dome” joystick topper for the F&G, so we will see if that helps.

I love Figgy (my F&G chair) but he’s 15 pounds heavier - and my hand gets very tired when trying to use the joystick for very long. I’m getting a custom-made “dome” joystick topper for the F&G, so we will see if that helps.

How do you install a custom joystick handle? (Been considering on getting a BodyPoint handle).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter