My First Solo Trip And All the Pre-Trip Drama...

I'm in!

You poor thing! You're right - you deserve this vacation!

Looking forward to the rest of your (drama-free) PTR!

Yay! Your trip is finally booked! Sorry about all the drama getting there though. I'm glad you're getting this vacation - sounds like you need it and what a disappointment it would have been to think you're going and then be unable to.

Well now that it is booked, I can't wait to hear your plans! My friend and I will be missing you by 2 days. We check in on the 19th at POR!

Well... I had a wonderful, relaxing weekend... and that was all disrupted by today's events. I feel more exhausted then I did before the weekend began.

Anyways... my flight info:
I'll be flying with my favorite JetBlue. I'll be leaving at 8:30 am and arriving at 11:19 am in Orlando. Coming back I have a 5:45 pm flight out arriving at Buffalo at 8:17 pm.

I live about an hour and a half drive from the airport too.

If I head that way again I'm coming to visit you! We flew into Monroe when I came down there!

I don't know about the restaurants. I wanted to have alligator while I was there so they sent me to Ralph and Cacoo's (spelling?) in Shreveport.

You're welcome to come by for a visit any time. What did you think of the alligator? Believe it or not, I've only eaten it once.

So for the next... oh about 3 weeks... I'll be having these odd feelings pulsating through me every so often. They are usually followed by panic attacks. I had the first one last night. Basically my body hates any change what-so-ever. And me going on this trip is a total change... for a number of reasons: 1) I just went last year (I usually go every other year), 2) I'm going alone, 3) I'll be leaving my apartment for a week (I'm very nervous about leaving anything because I don't trust other people too well), 4) Space Mountain will be closed, 5) I'm planning on doing the QS dining plan, 6) They are changing Fantasyland (which is the main reason I wanna go this year), 7) There is so much that could be done at home if I had a week off, 8) And most importantly I booked this trip last minute (I have to plan the whole thing in 3 weeks!)...

Anyways... these will last up until I go to bed my first night there.

To help with it... I'll be making every attempt to make sure all the house work is done before I leave, make sure all my bills are paid, park my car... whatever else is on my long laundry list of stuff.

I'll prolly limit my going out until I know I have everything done and taken care of. Oh well... I can't wait for Disney!

So... I'm sure many solo travelers are used to the "you are going by yourself?!?" Well I do get a lot of that and a lot of "I feel bad for you." You know, it's not like I don't have friends or family... I do. I have a ton. It's just most of my friends are 1) college students (which means they have class and are broke), 2) just out of college (therefore they haven't established good paying jobs with benefits yet), 3) already used their time up.... the list prolly could go on and on. But the fact of the matter is, I'm a hard person to travel with to Disney World. And that's because I want it my way. I've been so many times and I know what I like and don't. And I know what I don't want to waste my time on. And personally I don't wanna risk losing any of my friendships because I'm a spoiled brat on my trips! (Anywhere else and I'm pretty much down for anything.)

As for family my parents' have things that have to take care of, I've already gone on a trip with my older sister, and my little sister either 1) doesn't have the money or 2) I don't wanna listen to her yell at her boyfriend the whole time.

Anyways, in conclusion, yes I'm writing an essay, I have determined a vacation by myself isn't something to feel sorry about. I'm not saying its all gonna be sugar and spice by myself, but I think it will be a great time to get away and recoup from everything and everyone in my life.

And I will say last night I had the first "happy" Disney dream! YAY!

I have realized despite the credit card thing and the work thing the main stress comes from the fact that I didn't plan on going this year. So when I made the choice it was very last minute and is leaving me with, what I feel, is not enough time to plan my trip. I had not being prepared, but I suppose we will see what three weeks of planning gets me.

I have to find a giant piece of luggage too since mine got broken last time (we don't know if it happened with the airline or with DME. Basically the back support to it was cracked... I mean the luggage is still good, it just buckles at the bottom so the wheels don't roll it.

Scrolling through the boards (which I really haven't done in almost a year) I found out there is a space shuttle launch scheduled during my vacation. I'm really excited about this. In the past 2 trips there were shuttle launches. We missed both. Our plane was landing just as the first one was taking off. The second we tried to find the clearest location for the launch but we missed it (though several people staying at Pop stated they saw it from there). This year its scheduled for a day launch. IDK if you can see a shuttle launch during the day or not...

All of my trips to Disney have been with my husband and two kids. I think I'd enjoy a solo trip though. Just like you, I know what I like and I dislike. I could get around lots quicker by myself.

Because our son is getting bigger (12 now), his clothes don't fit in a suitcase with mine anymore. So, at 10 p.m., my husband and I were at WalMart looking for another suitecase two nights before we were to leave for Disney.

All of my trips to Disney have been with my husband and two kids. I think I'd enjoy a solo trip though. Just like you, I know what I like and I dislike. I could get around lots quicker by myself.

Because our son is getting bigger (12 now), his clothes don't fit in a suitcase with mine anymore. So, at 10 p.m., my husband and I were at WalMart looking for another suitecase two nights before we were to leave for Disney.

Ouch! That sucks! On Sunday or Tuesday I'm gonna do a run through packing to see how much stuff I have and how much room. I have to take into consideration any souvies I buy. In the past I've had Eric with me and he could check the extra bag (since he didn't check one) and no additional fee. Now I don't know. I always buy a stuffed animal in the Animal Kingdom and that always takes up a lot of space.

I am starting to get excited! The initial shock of going is passing.

Except: I have to leave at 4:30 in the morning to get to the airport in time. Which means I have to wake up no later than 3:45 am.:surfweb: IDK if I should even go to sleep.

Scrolling through the boards (which I really haven't done in almost a year) I found out there is a space shuttle launch scheduled during my vacation. I'm really excited about this. In the past 2 trips there were shuttle launches. We missed both. Our plane was landing just as the first one was taking off. The second we tried to find the clearest location for the launch but we missed it (though several people staying at Pop stated they saw it from there). This year its scheduled for a day launch. IDK if you can see a shuttle launch during the day or not...

You can definitely see it during the day! Especially at Disney World. I've seen 2 (unknowingly)...one from Main Street at MK and the other at POR. There is also a thread on the Theme Parks board about the best places to watch one, I believe.

Yes... I am up at 5 am... and the best part is I HAVEN'T EVEN FALLEN ASLEEP YET! God I hate my life. A dear friend of mine came over to watch a movie with me because I was overly stressed (1)... and we ended up watching 2. Wall-E and Cars actually. First time I ever saw Wall-E! I loved it BTW. Anyways me and him talked for a while and finally I brought him home. And I must say I was extremely glad he was over because at 2:30 am or so someone was pounding on my door (2). Then I get home and a guy I met awhile ago IMed me of Facebook... turns out he's having an affair with a good friend of mine. So I just spent the past 2 hours talking to him about it. Well I still have to hope to get some sleep but not sleep too late because I planned on spending the day at my parents' doing laundry and finishing my Halloween costume. UGH!

Anyways... I got struck with this "I can't believe I'm going to Disney World alone" feeling. I thought I made it passed that. I'm uber excited to be going to WDW... but these feelings pop up once in a while. It's so odd because I think WDW is the only place I'd visit by myself! I won't even walk the streets here after dark and it's prolly one of the safest places in New York.

(1) I got to work and got bombarded with so-so not getting paid for last night and the manager who opened didn't think I should bother the manager who closed last night and ask about it. Then I'm at work and one of my sales calls and asks if the police had been to the store. She said she wasn't sure what they wanted but thought it was a custody issue. So I called my manager to ask her what do to (which is now like the 4th time I've called her on her day off) and she didn't know but she told me to call our DM and leave her a voicemail. Just as I was doing such the police showed up. So I showed them to the backroom because I didn't want him on the floor. And I had to watch the floor and be apart of their convo since I was the manager on duty. Then my sales was upset because the baby's father's mother is pressing charges on her cuz she refused to allow the doped up dad take the baby (on his day).
(2) I had a stalker for a few months. It was a guy I used to see. My apartment is locked off but sometimes residents let people in or leave the door propped open. And there was a knock at my door at 2:30 am! I was so scared. Luckily, my friend was there so help calm me down. I didn't answer it, they knocked twice (and hard too... you have to knock really hard to hear through the door period let alone in my room on the other side of the apartment with the TV on 50% volume; and no my neighbors can't hear my TV because the apartments are really well insulated). I figure if it was my stalker he woulda knocked much longer and/or woulda called me. After they left I could only assume it was my neighbor who lives upstairs. He may or may not have a thing for me, IDK (he always tells me to come visit him). But regardless it was in the early AM and it's just wrong to bother someone at that time of night!

You can definitely see it during the day! Especially at Disney World. I've seen 2 (unknowingly)...one from Main Street at MK and the other at POR. There is also a thread on the Theme Parks board about the best places to watch one, I believe.

Girl I know it said you responded but I couldn't see it until just now! Thanks for your input! I'm gonna keep an eye out for the times of the shuttle launch and try to make sure I'm outside when/if it happens!

I saw a rocket launch when I was a wee child. My parents' had a house in Melborne and I was outside and saw it in the air. I ran into the house to tell them and it was on the TV. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life. Since I have always wanted to see a shuttle launch!

So with less than 2 weeks before my trip (and I think I'm only getting one day off next week (and I'll be working anywhere from 41.25 - 45.75 hours next week). I have made my To Do list of things I want to complete before I leave. Cleaning my apartment is one of them. I have all the main areas cleaned and they just need to be vacuumed now. I went in and out of cleaning the bathroom, but last night I had some time, so I did. All that's left with those areas then is top sweep/mop the kitchen and bathroom and to keep up on the dishes (and if I come home from being away for a week and the dishes are mountainous in the sink I'm gonna be totally upset!).

I've got most of my bedroom cleaned, just some things that I've picked up or brought over from my parents' house that need someplace to go. So I need to finish cleaning my bedroom and vacuum it. Oh and I have to do my laundry (which will be about 2 weeks worth because I have not done any from last week!) and make sure I hang it.

And then I just need to pack and upload new songs to my iPod.

My big piece of luggage got broken either by JetBlue or Disney Magic Express. So I have to get that fixed or get another piece of large luggage. I also have to find some spray sunscreen.

Everyone has been picking on me because I make a master list of everything to pack. But trust me, if I don't I will forget something. Anyways, I think my 21" rolly, my 28" rolly (checked), and a backpack will be overly sufficient for my needs and still have room for souvies. I have my 21" sitting on my floor open and I'm throwing things into it as I find them. I'm assuming I'll have Tuesday off, so that's when I'll do the big pack and then do misc packing on Sunday night.

So this is kinda what my schedule is gonna look like the week I leave:
Sunday: Work 10:45 am - 6:30ish
Finish packing
Change my sheets
Put dishes in dishwasher/Run
Bring stuff to parents' to pack in car
Monday: Work 9:30 am - 9:30 pm
Bed!
Tuesday:
Wake up no later than 3:45 am (earlier depending on weather)
Parents' pick me up 4:15 am
Breakfast at McDonald's 6:00 am
Check in 7:00 am
Take off 8:30 am
If the weather is nice we can leave a half hour later. My parents' want me to stay at their house on Monday night. "It would be easier." Maybe for them. I stayed there the other weekend and the dog kept coming in and out of the bedroom (you can't shut the door cuz he just busts it open) and then barks all night long. Plus I have a hard time sleeping in a bed not my own. Not that I think I will really get much rest. But even if I stay at my parents' I won't get there til 10 pm and won't be in bed til 11. At my apartment I'll be in bed by 10. I mean either way I'm not going a lot of sleep.

Anyways... that's how it looks.

Thursday night and Friday night after work I'll prolly be finishing up my Halloween costume. I'm hoping it will be done Thursday. I'll post pics cuz it looks like it will be pretty awesome.

Ok time to get ready for work!

Oh! Here is a basic itinerary for my trip:

Nov 10: Arrive - maybe explore some hotels, Boardwalk, DTD
Nov 11: Animal Kingdom - It does have the EMHE and I know EMH days the parks are busier, but I heard that AK is amazing with the lights.
Nov 12: EPCOT
Nov 13: Day Off - Maybe sleep in, maybe some swimming, maybe some hotels, maybe DTD...
Nov 14: Magic Kingdom
Nov 15: Disney Studios
Nov 16: EPCOT
Nov 17: Leave - I'm going to request a late check out considering DME won't pick me up until like 2:45 pm. I'll prolly just stay around POP, pack, etc...

I am the queen of lists! I love them! And when I'm going on vacation, I make a list of every little thing I am packing. I don't just write socks, I write how many pairs I will need. And if I have 2 white shirts, I will write down something that makes me know what one it is - like gap short sleeve white tee or JCrew cap sleeve white tee. Then I highlight it to cross it off the list as I pack it. My mom thinks I'm nuts, but it works!

Your itinerary looks great! Relaxing but lots of time to get everything in. You will be amazed how much quicker you get to everything when you are going solo. I never made it to a rope drop until my solo trip - because I didn't have to worry about other people getting ready!

Shannon... I write quanitity down too but not specifics. I just set up a facebook asking my friends when they can come over and vote on what I should wear.

Well I saw my schedule for next week:
Sun 10:45 - 6:30
Mon 6 - 9:30
Tues Off
Wed 7.5 or 8 hour shift (dont know
Thus Same as Wed
Fri 9:30 - 9:30
Sat 9:30 - 1

And I don't have to work a 12 hour the monday before I go anymore either! YAY!

Oh I forgot to add, I stopped and saw one of my old managers the other day. She says she's going down to visit her daughter and will be in Ocala. She said if I want a familiar face to give her a call!

I don't have luggage for my trip... and I can't find any I like...

Will any part of this trip be any good? :sad1:

So I went to my parents' house Friday after work to finish my Halloween costume.

Afterwards I went to the mall to look for luggage. I found some I liked... sorta.

Anyways Saturday morning I call my mom to meet me at the mall to give me her opinion on the luggage. It was 60% off plus I had a coupon for another 15% off. I showed her the Samsonite (which is the brand I really wanted) and I basically showed her that it could handle my weight on it (and I am SO not light). I showed her the Delsey and American Tourister and the AT appeared to withstand my weight much better than the Delsey and it had 4 wheels. So after debate I put only the 29" spinner on hold. My mom said "if you do buy it, don't tell your father." I decided against the whole set (well I would have just gotten the 29" spinner and then the 21" carry-on) because my carry-on isn't broken. And so we compared the color of my carry-on to the red and blue that AT had. We decided the blue went better.

Anyways, I came back to my apartment to finish my hair and makeup (I spent prolly a total of 3.5 hours on them) then headed to my parent's so my mom could help me put on my shirt. I knew I was forgetting something when I left....

So I get there and start getting ready and realized... I don't have a strapless! So I had to run back home to change! I had 15 min to get to the mall, buy my luggage, bring it to my car, and then get to work. So I get to the mall, leave my credit card in my car so I have to go back. I grabbed all my stuff for work then and dropped it off in my store. Then slipping and sliding on the tile I asked my friend if she thought if I ran through the mall without any shoes on if the security guard would yell at me... then said screw it and did it anyways. I got lots of looks and a few compliments as I ran from my store to Bon-Ton.

I got in line and was chatting with the others in line and they actually let me go to the front because they liked my costume so much! So I had extra coupons and handed them out to everyone (they were a better deal than the coupons they had). Then I ran back to my car and back to work.

I got a ton of compliments on my costume... for its originality and the all around looks.

After work I came home to fix my makeup and then off to the bar. OMG! It was so COLD! I was in a tank top, with leggings and ballet flats! So of course I had to park blocks away (scary walking downtown by yourself). When I got inside a bunch of my friends were already there (they had been there since 9, I shoulda just went there after work!). We took bunches of pics... the zombies tried to get me bloody.... But I wanted to wait until my friend Heidi got there so I could take pics with her. Blah blah blah we walked to another bar and I froze! And then back to the first.

I had the 3rd best costume. There was a tiki god and some sort of oger. A guy I know made his costume also.. mildly creative in a mildly disturbing kind of way. He was a bunny... and later I found out was actually roadkill. :rolleyes: Inside his hoodie he had his intestins, stomach & liver and heart. I gave him total creativity points though... he made the whole thing...

Ok so you prolly want some pics!
13732_559101818753_44202693_33138364_7361285_n.jpg

13732_559103480423_44202693_33138497_5154081_n.jpg

13439_1235158832444_1033382451_734944_709584_n.jpg

I finally let the zombies get me...
13732_559103490403_44202693_33138499_5535596_n.jpg

The Tiki God
13732_559103485413_44202693_33138498_5231423_n.jpg

The Oger or whatever he is
13551_559094583253_44202651_33137913_6692154_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter