My Eighty-something year old Mom's FIRST trip to Disney!! What Should We do First?!

Sorcerer Mom

Mouseketeer
My Mom has NEVER been to Disneyland or Disney World!! :scared1: She doesn't travel often and is here for only a short visit to see my daughter graduate college so I'm sneaking in a quick trip to DL. We're driving to CA early AM staying at the GC and then home the next day. Any thoughts, suggestions, or tips to make her trip extra special would be appreciated. :goodvibes

Is she in a wheelchair? There is a lot of walking and standing at Disneyland we brought my mother in Dec. and the Wheelchair was a life saver.

No; thankfully, she's quite active but I do still get concerned about that. It's just her and I so we can take our time. I did have a very kind CM suggest asking for a Guest Assistance Pass at City Hall so if she does tire after standing a long time, that would help with ride lines and to also secure her a bench seat at WOC.

One thing you can do is get the 'First Visit' buttons, from City hall. It's free and a fun little keepsake for her :)

If it was me, I'd take her to Fantasyland first. Peter Pan, SW, Toad, and then over to IASW. Then over to HM and Jungle Cruise. Also POTC while over there to avoid a lot of extra walking. Later on, the DL train and Lincoln. A sit down lunch at Cafe Orleans might be a nice break. The subs are cute and a classic DL attration (even if re-done) if she can go down the stairs in the sub. That is a long slow line though. The Pooh ride is also cute, but rather far back in the park. You could do lunch at the Hungry Bear instead and have a nice relaxing meal by the water, then head over to Pooh.

At DCA, I'd stop by the Animation building, Monsters, and maybe Aladdin if it was running. To me, DL would be the priority though because of its history.

Oh, a picture with a character would be a fun souvenier to take home. :goodvibes

I think you should take her to see Festival of the Lion King, because it is awesome!

First thing in the morning go to the train station at the main entrance and see if the Lily Belle will be available.That would certainly be extra special and the give you a time to return so no waiting around.

First thing in the morning go to the train station at the main entrance and see if the Lily Belle will be available.That would certainly be extra special and the give you a time to return so no waiting around.

That would be my suggestion as well. And then head into FantasyLand. A Meal at the Blue Bayou would be nice, and of course, don't forget to get her a set of Mickey Ears!! (I like the classic ears, but whatever you choose, I'd get her name embroidered on them as well.)

My parents have taken our family several times to DL, we live in SF Bay Area. My mom's favorite by far is It's a Small World go early the line gets long. They also enjoy the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Carribean. There is a restaurant in the Pirates of Car. called the Blue Byue (sorry about my spelling). I think it is really special as do my parents. If I were you I would make a reservation for 2:00-3:00 during the heat of the day. It would give your mom a break and time for both of you to cool down. My mom and I are not ride people but she really enjoys watching all the kids, not just mine, enjoying their day. As for California Ad. I would only recommend two things highly The Aladdin Show (it is very professionally done) good during the heat of the day and Soar'n over California (get a fast pass). Oh, I almost forgot the parade and fireworks show at Disneyland are two more things my mom loves watching. One trip my dad had gout and used a cane (now he takes it every trip). He thinks people give him more space and don't bump into him. It also gave us the ability to get on the rides quicker. Have a great trip!

It depends on the type of woman she is, what sort of health problems she has, and what her interests are. My mom is only in her 70s, but has health issues including some vision problems, so she doesn't like pirates or peter pan b/c they are too dark. She loves IASW and Soarin and also enjoys the Storybookland Canal Boats, the Casey Jr Circus Train, Alice in Wonderland, the Mark Twain, the Jungle Cruise, Toy Story Mania, the Little Mermaid, the Disneyland Railroad - oh, and she loves the fireworks.

My dad on the other hand, rides everything (including Screamin'), so the interest of the demographic can vary greatly!

People have given some great ideas (Lilly Belle, first visit button, Mickey ears). Be sure to get a photo of the two of you in front of the castle as well as with a character - those classics are pretty neat.

I would suggest doing Peter Pan (if you're going to ride it) and then the Storybookland Canal boats (if they are open, they sometimes don't open until an hour after the park is open) first. The lines for both attractions build and will be quite long in the afternoon if you wait to experience them.

Take the train around the park! :cool1: When I was a child, we always used to do this first. Such a great way to pick up on the energy of the park!! :banana:

One thing you can do is get the 'First Visit' buttons, from City hall. It's free and a fun little keepsake for her :)

:thumbsup2 I'm thinking the CM's would get a kick out of seeing someone my Mom's age having that..so that's a must!

If it was me, I'd take her to Fantasyland first. Peter Pan, SW, Toad, and then over to IASW. Then over to HM and Jungle Cruise. Also POTC while over there to avoid a lot of extra walking. Later on, the DL train and Lincoln. A sit down lunch at Cafe Orleans might be a nice break. The subs are cute and a classic DL attration (even if re-done) if she can go down the stairs in the sub. That is a long slow line though. The Pooh ride is also cute, but rather far back in the park. You could do lunch at the Hungry Bear instead and have a nice relaxing meal by the water, then head over to Pooh.

At DCA, I'd stop by the Animation building, Monsters, and maybe Aladdin if it was running. To me, DL would be the priority though because of its history.

Oh, a picture with a character would be a fun souvenier to take home. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2

Almost forgot about the train, thank you!! We're always so crazy getting the rides in when we're there with the kids, we miss it most of the time. My Mom would LOVE it :goodvibes

That would be my suggestion as well. And then head into FantasyLand. A Meal at the Blue Bayou would be nice, and of course, don't forget to get her a set of Mickey Ears!! (I like the classic ears, but whatever you choose, I'd get her name embroidered on them as well.)

Mickey Ears for sure and I agree that the classic would be best - those are my favorite too :love: I'll call the hotel and maybe see if I can have them waiting for her at check-in!

Def do the tiki tiki room!

Take the train around the park! :cool1: When I was a child, we always used to do this first. Such a great way to pick up on the energy of the park!! :banana:

These are all wonderful - thank you!!! Anyone have suggestions or thoughts for dinner. I'd like to take her to see WOC - has anyone done the premier dining at Ariel's Grotto or Wine Country Trat. and is it worth it? :confused3

I can speak from experience about the ears being ready for check-in. I had them added to an in-room celebration when my DH and I stayed at the PPH last year. (Pics in my signature.) They are very accommodating. You might want to see if you can have balloons waiting for you! When we checked in, since it was my husband's first visit and our anniversary, they actually had an autographed picture of Mickey and Minnie for us. It was in an envelope that had our buttons attached to.

I had set up the celebration through the Disney Dream Makers, here is the link to it on the Disneyland site: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...uCelebrate/index?name=CelebrationsGiftingPage

I almost forgot, what about a Guided tour? Two of my older friends did the A Walk in Walt's Footstep tour and really enjoyed it. I think it included a lunch and a special pin.

I can speak from experience about the ears being ready for check-in. I had them added to an in-room celebration when my DH and I stayed at the PPH last year. (Pics in my signature.) They are very accommodating. You might want to see if you can have balloons waiting for you! When we checked in, since it was my husband's first visit and our anniversary, they actually had an autographed picture of Mickey and Minnie for us. It was in an envelope that had our buttons attached to.

I had set up the celebration through the Disney Dream Makers, here is the link to it on the Disneyland site: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...uCelebrate/index?name=CelebrationsGiftingPage

I almost forgot, what about a Guided tour? Two of my older friends did the A Walk in Walt's Footstep tour and really enjoyed it. I think it included a lunch and a special pin.

Thanks so much! I will check-out the link for the celebration - great idea! :cheer2:

Was also going to check-out the guided tour...good to hear a great review and will get busy on that today. :flower3:

I knew I could count on the DIS to help make my Mom's first visit special - thanks everyone! Would still like to hear any reviews on dinner in conjunction with WOC! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I would also recommend "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln." It's only about 15 minutes long and it's nicely done. It's also nice to sit down for a few minutes and cool off in the air-conditioning.

This is a small suggestion, but I would recommend taking one of the Main Street vehicles up/down Main Street. It saves some walking, and the CM in the vehicle usually gives a brief introduction to Disneyland. It's extra nice for a first visit.

mrlincoln2.jpg

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland-california/disneyland-mainst.htm

HTH :earsboy:

really i would only concentrate on dl. that first stroll down main street will be priceless def get photopass. why WOC not fantasmic? the train first def. imho
tiki room jungle cruise especially with the first timer button. the mark twain is my grandmas favorite, ask to go to the pilot house if she can do some stairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!