My dog inhales her food

My golden retriever also inhales food. I never hear a crunch. I use a slow feeder bowl and stuff veg, peanut butter, rice etc., into the slots to try to slow him down. Sometimes I hand feed, but he still inhales. He is a perfect weight and well exercised but always acts as though he is absolutely starving. Sometimes he even convinces me that I have forgotten to feed him!
My daughter has his litter mate and he grazes, chews his food and leaves food if he isn’t hungry.

One of my dogs eats too fast. If we give her her food in a bowl it will be gone in under a minute and then she will almost always throw it back up. But if we scatter her food on/in a snuffle mat though, it takes her about 5 minutes to eat and she doesn't throw it up after. We tried a slow feeder for one of my dogs when he was younger and it was too deep-he would get so frustrated trying to get the food out he would end up just flipping it over to dump the food out. That is when we discovered the great snuffle mats!

My golden retriever also inhales food. I never hear a crunch. I use a slow feeder bowl and stuff veg, peanut butter, rice etc., into the slots to try to slow him down. Sometimes I hand feed, but he still inhales. He is a perfect weight and well exercised but always acts as though he is absolutely starving. Sometimes he even convinces me that I have forgotten to feed him!
My daughter has his litter mate and he grazes, chews his food and leaves food if he isn’t hungry.
Lol! My golden does the same thing about acting like he has not eaten! I say he lies! I have to double with DH if he fed him even though I’m usually sure he did! He doesn’t really inhale his food though so that’s good.

I don't think my dogs would even eat carrots, celery, or apples.
My dog loves apples. His favorite thing to eat is romaine lettuce. He’s weird. He’s also a free feeding grazer. It was a giant PITB when we pet sat for a Hoover dog.

It has always been the advice of our veterinarian for our dogs, prone to bloat, also.

Are you saying that dogs must have snacks of carrots, celery and apples?

No. Feeding heathy snacks at noon was advised by our vet. I was given a list of accepted fruits, veggies and what to avoid. I have a standard Bernedoodle and an Airedale Terrier both are prone to digestive issues.

Lol, if so, I have severely neglected all of my dogs over the last 25 years!

I don't think my dogs would even eat carrots, celery, or apples.

Our vet recommended snacks while using the slow feeder.
Even though they don't need to use that anymore they still enjoy eating snacks at noon and the vet says it's good for them so we've stayed with it.

No. Feeding heathy snacks at noon was advised by our vet. I was given a list of accepted fruits, veggies and what to avoid. I have a standard Bernedoodle and an Airedale Terrier both are prone to digestive issues.
I know celery once landed my mother in the hospital with diverticulitis. She was trying to “eat healthy“ while she was watching TV at night. Doctors laughed at the irony, but told her to knock it off.

If my dogs would eat celery, I would make sure to cut the pieces very small and remove the strings. Mine spit out fruits and vegetables, preferring a biscuit. Their weight is fine and we have no digestive issues. To each his own.

If my dogs would eat celery, I would make sure to cut the pieces very small and remove the strings. Mine spit out fruits and vegetables, preferring a biscuit. Their weight is fine and we have no digestive issues. To each his own.

This ^ exactly. If it's not recommended why bother.

My Yorkie (RIP) used to inhale her food when she was younger and then many times throw up after. When I started giving her her food in small doses, that helped a lot. I’d give her a 1/3, then 10 minutes later another 1/3 and then 10 minutes later the last 1/3. This worked well for her.

My goldens are the exact same way. I use elevated bowls and add water to their kibble. I don’t know how much it helps, but that’s what I’ve always done.

My goldens are the exact same way. I use elevated bowls and add water to their kibble. I don’t know how much it helps, but that’s what I’ve always done.
That’s a beautiful golden in your pic. I have had 3 Goldens over the years. My current is a 90lb, gentle, sweet boy! Best dog I’ve ever had & I’ve had a several dogs of different breeds over the years!

That’s a beautiful golden in your pic. I have had 3 Goldens over the years. My current is a 90lb, gentle, sweet boy! Best dog I’ve ever had & I’ve had a several dogs of different breeds over the years!

Thank you! She's our third Golden too. They are just the best dogs. I just happened to catch her looking at me like she waiting me for to pour her a glass of wine. 🤣 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter