• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

Ariel's Grotto had some great food (contrary to what I had read here). We had the Penne Pasta and the Meatloaf. Both of us also had the starter salad. For dessert I had the Rocky Road Ice Cream Sundae & DH had the regular Sundae. We shared our meal with both kids and had plenty of food.

The service was a bit poor in that they served our salads and entrees within 2 minutes of each other. I ate my pasta first (while it was still warm) and then finished with the salad. They also were very quick to ask if they could take things off the table like the bread basket, salad plates etc. Normally this would be fine but I had hardly eaten 1/4 of meal and to be asked if they could take stuff away seemed a little strange.

The princess were VERY nice and they consisted of Ariel, Mulan, Cinderella, Snow White & Belle.

My one complaint about Ariel's Grotto was that it was VERY, VERY loud inside. They must have horrible accoustics because everything echoed and there was just a lot of noise. Next time, I would consider sitting outside (if the weather was warm enough) to avoid the noise level. It was also somewhat dark inside the restaurant so we weren't able to use our video camera.

ec2ceca8.jpg

ec2cec38.jpg

ec2ceba0.jpg

We had lunch at Cafe Orleans.

I was pretty impressed with their menu. Lots of good choices for adults and kids. DS had the Citrus marinated Chicken. We had shared the Monte Cristo. I had never had a Monte Cristo before and I thought it was pretty yummy but very, very rich. I had 1/4 of the sandwich and that was plenty due to its richness. The berry dipping sauce was very yummy. DH ate 3/4 of the sandwich and he ended up not liking it at all because it was just to rich. One thing to not is that this is a deep fried sandwich that is first coated in some sort of batter. I believe a normal Monte Cristo is more like a french toast and pan fried.

ec2ceab1.jpg

ec2cea35.jpg

The service was excellent and they brought DS & DD complimentary carrots & dip. They also gave us chocolate gold coins for dessert plus a "special" collectors limited edition pirate coin.

Carnation Cafe for breakfast on Saturday. I had the Cinnamon Roll French Toast, DS had the Mickey Waffles and DH had the Scramble. The service was great, the coffee good and the Cinnamon Roll French Toast was YUMMY especially since they serve it with a side of Cream Cheese Frosting.

ec2ce9a7.jpg

ec2ce8ef.jpg

ec2ce863.jpg

This was the best thing I ate at DL - the Apple Pie Carmel Apple. They sell them at the candy store on Main St and at the store outside of the Winnie the Pooh ride. I believe I saw them at CA too.

The apple is dipped in carmel, then into white chocolate and then sprinkled with cinnamon & sugar....yum!! I think they were charging about $5.00 for these.

ec2a04cd.jpg

Looks like misskitty and I got some of the same things photographed, but I'll post what I have anyway.

I was on a solo trip so I didn't have a lot of meals to take pictures of, but a lot of times I just took pictures of the sample plates they had out.

I had a request for the goodies at Blue Ribbon Bakery, so here they are

372a.jpg

338a.jpg

6274.jpg

I also had a request for Turkey Legs, which I thought I could get pretty easily just by taking a picture of the carts. But they are already in a bag in the case on the cart so you can't see them. Sorry.

Here's another request though

Bengal Barbeque

Banyon Beef Skewer – hot and spicy. This really is spicy. I like spicy food and can tolerate medium and hot salsa. This sauce left a sting in my mouth. If you don’t like spicy or can handle too spicy, you probably shouldn’t get this flavor.
Bengal-BBQ---Banyon-Beef-Skewer---h.jpg

Safari Skewer – bacon wrapped asparagus. My favorite and a yummy way to eat your veggies. There’s no sauce on this, it’s just flavored by the flame and the bacon.
Bengal-BBQ---Safari-Skewers---Aspar.jpg

Rancho del Zocalo

Chicken Platters – ¼ chicken with rice, beans, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa and tortillas. I didn’t order this, just took a picture of the sample plates they had. Sorry it’s blurry.
8dc7.jpg

Enchilada Platters – Sorry, this really didn’t come out. One platter comes with 4 cheese enchiladas and all the trimmings, the other comes with 2 enchiladas and a serving of Carne Asada (grilled steak).
1441.jpg

Hacienda Ceasar Salad – my favorite – grilled chicken, lettuce, red bell peppers, cotija cheese, zesty Ceasar dressing (sort of green in color probably has cilantro in it) and topped with tortilla chip strips. There is also a Tostada salad in a fried tortilla bowl, but I didn’t get a picture. They toss the salads fresh when you order so you can customize however you would like.
4c47.jpg

Desserts
Chocolate Cake
622d.jpg

Flan, Tres Leches Cake, Fruit Plate
86d5.jpg

Redd Rocket’s Pizza Port

I didn’t eat here this trip but I went in to take pictures of the menus and some of the dishes. The way this place works is they make a few plates of each dish and set those out. You walk by and grab what you want and move along. Many people don’t know this and sit and wait for someone to take their order so the line moves slow on busy days. Even though dishes are pre-made, if you need something customized all you need to do is ask. Sometimes I’ll order the kids pasta with the cream sauce instead of how they make it with the marinara.

Salad Menu
4e7c.jpg

Planetary Pizza Salad– chopped greens, sliced pepperoni, tomatoes, red onions, black olives, feta and mozzarella cheese with vinaigrette dressing.
1417.jpg

Starfield of Greens – greens, baby lettuce, blue cheese, carmelized walnuts, dried cranberries, tomatoes with vinaigrette dressing. I’ve had this on previous visits and it is very good.
e62b.jpg

Satellite Special – chef’s special creation, today it was an asian chicken salad.
c468.jpg

Pasta Menu
c6f9.jpg

Kid’s Meals
64a8.jpg

Pizza Menu – sorry didn’t get a photo of the pizza slices, but they are huge. About ¼ of a large pizza.
3169.jpg

French Market

Sample lunch plates
Fried Chicken, French Dip, Barbeque Pork Po’ Boy, Beef Stew with or without a bread bowl. Most entrees come with a side salad. Kid’s meals include Grilled Chicken Breast, Mac n Cheese, or Chicken Strips. The kids meals are now served with fruit and juice, milk or water, but they will give you fries and soda if you request. The items in the Zero bowls are specialty items to go along with the Haunted Mansion Holiday. One was a Goulash with pasta topped with a sour cream sauce. The other was chicken with a vanilla cream sauce over potatoes (I think). Both came with a bone shaped French roll and you get to keep the dog bowl. (They serve the food in a throw away bowl placed into the dog bowl.
2d21.jpg

I had the Goulash. It was good, but had big chunks of celery which I hate.
bd72.jpg

Mint Julep Bar

New Orleans Fritters – deep fried dough sprinkled with sugar and served with an apple custard dipping sauce. Personally I prefer the Bengiets from Ralph Brennan’s in Downtown Disney. But these were still good.
36e8.jpg

Mint Julep – I like but it is described by some as sugary mouthwash. It’s a non-alcoholic version of the famous Kentucky Derby drink.
b804.jpg

Taste Pilot’s Grill

I didn’t eat here, but I did stop by to take a photo of the toppings bar. It’s pretty well stocked: leaf lettuce, shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, red onion, sweet pickles, dill pickles, jalapenos, ketchup, mustard, and barbeque sauce. There is mayo in packages. For those familiar with the toppings bars in WDW, those are better, but these are decent enough.

Left side
22bc.jpg

Right side
c520.jpg

White Water Snacks

Shredded Beef Nachos – Oh my, this was good!! I was expecting thin strings shredded beef but what I got was big strips of steak on homemade chips, cheese sauce (tasted homemade not canned), real cheddar cheese, guacamole, sour cream, jalapenos and salsa.
7ccd.jpg

Corn Dog Castle

Hot Link Corn Dog (sorry took a few bites before I remembered to take a picture). The drink is a Lemon Lime Margarita from Rita’s Baja Blenders. It’s a real margarita with alcohol but the do also serve non-alcoholic versions. They have Lemon Lime and Strawberry.
Corn-Dog-Castle---Hot-Link-Corn-Dog.jpg

Pooh’s Corner

I was getting a Tigger Tail for my son and decided I needed a treat too. I forgot to take a picture of the Tigger Tail, but here’s my S’more. Graham Cracker with marshmallow covered in chocolate. I had to take a few bites so you all could see inside.
70ba.jpg

got2travel said:
French Market

The items in the Zero bowls are specialty items to go along with the Haunted Mansion Holiday. One was a Goulash with pasta topped with a sour cream sauce. The other was chicken with a vanilla cream sauce over potatoes (I think). Both came with a bone shaped French roll and you get to keep the dog bowl. (They serve the food in a throw away bowl placed into the dog bowl.
2d21.jpg

I had the Goulash. It was good, but had big chunks of celery which I hate.
bd72.jpg

These are great. DH and I are huge NBC fans...do you remember or does anyone know how much these bowls cost each? I would love to get a couple.

mAlien13 said:
These are great. DH and I are huge NBC fans...do you remember or does anyone know how much these bowls cost each? I would love to get a couple.

The entree was $12.99 and the bowl came with it. I don't know if you can purchase the bowls separately or not.

One thing I forgot to add about the Corn Dogs. All the prices listed include a small bag of potato chips. You can ask for just the corn dog and they'll subtract $1 off the price. These things are so huge you don't really need the chips.

Misskitty3 said:
This was the best thing I ate at DL - the Apple Pie Carmel Apple. They sell them at the candy store on Main St and at the store outside of the Winnie the Pooh ride. I believe I saw them at CA too.

The apple is dipped in carmel, then into white chocolate and then sprinkled with cinnamon & sugar....yum!! I think they were charging about $5.00 for these.

ec2a04cd.jpg

WOW...this does look good!! Thanks for sharing...Misskitty3. :thumbsup2

got2travel said:
Rancho del Zocalo

Hacienda Ceasar Salad – my favorite – grilled chicken, lettuce, red bell peppers, cotija cheese, zesty Ceasar dressing (sort of green in color probably has cilantro in it) and topped with tortilla chip strips. There is also a Tostada salad in a fried tortilla bowl, but I didn’t get a picture. They toss the salads fresh when you order so you can customize however you would like.
4c47.jpg

OMG...I'm going to have to have this salad the next time I go!! The salads at
Red Rocket Pizza Port looked great, too...as did the condiments from the Pilot Grill....Thanks!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

got2travel said:
The entree was $12.99 and the bowl came with it. I don't know if you can purchase the bowls separately or not.

Thank You! We'll plan on stopping in here on our upcoming trip.

CamColt said:
Heres the best I can do...

half eaten beingets at Jazz Kitchen Express
efdd08b5.jpg

octodog and mac & cheese at Ariel's Grotto
efdd0605.jpg

burger & fries at Ariel's Grotto
efdd05e7.jpg

drinks at the lounge above Ariel's Grotto(the red one was deadly ;))
efdd0614.jpg

I know this is a bit late but were the buckets in the mac and cheese pic the drinks??? if so that is soooo nifty! :thumbsup2

got2travel said:
Redd Rocket’s Pizza Port

I didn’t eat here this trip but I went in to take pictures of the menus and some of the dishes. The way this place works is they make a few plates of each dish and set those out. You walk by and grab what you want and move along. Many people don’t know this and sit and wait for someone to take their order so the line moves slow on busy days. Even though dishes are pre-made, if you need something customized all you need to do is ask. Sometimes I’ll order the kids pasta with the cream sauce instead of how they make it with the marinara.

Salad Menu
4e7c.jpg

Planetary Pizza Salad– chopped greens, sliced pepperoni, tomatoes, red onions, black olives, feta and mozzarella cheese with vinaigrette dressing.
1417.jpg

Starfield of Greens – greens, baby lettuce, blue cheese, carmelized walnuts, dried cranberries, tomatoes with vinaigrette dressing. I’ve had this on previous visits and it is very good.
e62b.jpg

Satellite Special – chef’s special creation, today it was an asian chicken salad.
c468.jpg

Pasta Menu
c6f9.jpg

Kid’s Meals
64a8.jpg

Pizza Menu – sorry didn’t get a photo of the pizza slices, but they are huge. About ¼ of a large pizza.
3169.jpg

this has probably been answered but can you get a small soda with the kids meal instead of juice or milk (It would be for me and I'm not a fan of either with a dinner type meal)?

MunkyMe13 said:
this has probably been answered but can you get a small soda with the kids meal instead of juice or milk (It would be for me and I'm not a fan of either with a dinner type meal)?

Yes. Disney changed it's kid meals to healthier choices - the default is now milk or juice, but you can ask to have pop instead. The default is a healthier side (such as carrots) instead of fries as well - you can ask for fries if you prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter