My DD had her dance recital, but she wouldn't dance

SueM in MN

combining the teacups with a roller coaster
Katrina's "Differently Abled Dance Class" had their dance recital this afternoon. It was part of the regular dance recital for the school. She looked really cute in her costume, was excited to be there and promised she would do whatever Nancy (the teacher) wanted her to do. Just before we went on stage, she started signing "all finished this wheelchair. Want different wheelchair". She just started using her power wheelchair in dance class in January and 3 minutes before we went on stage, she refused to drive it and wanted nothing to do with it. We did get through the song with me driving the chair, since she wouldn't. She also would not do any of the arm movements (It's hard to arabesque, when you fold your arms over your chest).

I was dissapointed in her, but one of the other moms pointed out that her DD was scared on the stage and she's been driving her power chair for years. Some other people in the audience mentioned how pretty all the girls looked and they noticed Katrina's big smile (and not me driving her chair). Even my family didn't notice that my feet got run over twice and that Katrina had removed her glasses at the middle of the dance and was about to throw them. I was expecting it, so in one graceful motion, I plucked them out of her hand before they got thrown and put them in my pocket. My oldest DD did notice her signing during the dance, but it sort of looked like the right arm movements to someone who didn't know she was signing. So, all in all, it didn't end up that bad. Maybe next time it will be better. I just wish they could have seen her in practice at the studio when she does actually dance.

SueM, even the most seasoned actors get stage Fright!!
I bet your DD will do better next time! Don't forget to praise her for even the slightest thing she did right and tell her how pretty she was!! And that you love her just the way she is!!

Here's some Pixie Dust for YOU,SueM ~~~~~~*~~~~~~ !!!!

Loving them is the easiest and hardest thing we do!!

Thanks for the reminder.
It is so frustrating when she was doing a good job in class on this dance and when we get to the recital, she won't do anything at all. But I can see why she might be scared. The light and everything on stage is pretty intimidating.

Lights, heights, sounds, pressure.... I hope next time is easier! {{{{Hugs}}}}}

Hi SueM,
Its not just your daughter who gets scared when dancing on a stage for the first time, this is an ongoing fear for me. When I rehearse my wheelchair dance I am always on ground level and when I perform I end up realizing that wow I am on a stage at least two feet off the ground, it doesn't just scare me it also scares the able bodied dancers performing with me. So we decided to actually rehearse more on a stage or at least I take the opportunity to pace through my dance on a stage to get use to the height and the depth of the stage so at performance there is no second guessing if I will lose my grip on the wheels and head into the audience.
I am so happy that she had a dance recital that is wonderful, so be happy :D maybe you could request her teacher to let them practice on the stage several times prior to performance and have a preview of their work to allow them to get use to performing for an audience.

Just my two cents....

Thanks.
The class was only able to rehearse on the stage once. We were supposed to have 1/2 hour, but some of the other kids were late, so we only got to run thru the dance once.
That didn't go well. Plus, some of the helpers had only attended one class, so there was a lot of confusion about what we were doing. Katrina does not do well with performing in any situation (tests, etc) and I think it was just too much for her.
I was also a little scared on that stage. It is a pretty long way down.

I'm proud of both of you! My walking talking girls would probably do the same thing - heck my youngest just did it to me at the crazy Pirate Adventure. All excited about going - but when it came time to put on the bandana - no way... the CM said - ok, no bandana - just life vest... again... NO WAY... well, she just didn't want to go - but why she couldn't have said so in the first place, I don't know....

For her to go to the class, and enjoy it, AND learn, and for YOU to be able to say - the hell with it - we are going through with this ... GOOD FOR YOU! Stage fright is a pretty significant fear!!! And I would have just sat on my hands going - oh no oh no!!

Now, hopefully the next time both of you will be more prepared. Look at the great coping mechanisms you've developed! Nice job SueM and Katrina! (I love the glasses bit.... :D )

Sue

Thanks. It is a major thing to even get on the stage. The first year of dance class, she wanted badly to be there, but she would just watch and not do anything in class. Once we got home, she would be practicing. She still won't do anything in class all by herself, but at least she will let me help her do it now, so we have made progress.

Stage-fright happens at all ages. It's still a good thing to be able to say she did it and finished!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter