My daughter's eye got hurt during fireworks at MK

Yes.. my daughter is ok now.. she is terrified of fireworks though.. and like others she probably won't watch them without being very far away and with some type of glasses on.. heck.. I might keep glasses on too.. if you could have heard her scream... it was a hurt scream.. the employee realized it too and got a wet rag and ran us over to get help .. she radioed over there so they knew we were coming.. but others got hurt too.. one guy got hit on the face with ashes... it seemed to be something they were use too.. but it did scare me to death b/c it was her eyes... very scared.. they washed it out.. they kept telling her don't touch your eye at all.. you could rip something.. that scared me even worse! Terrible experience... but atleast we are ok now!

Oh poor thing - I hope she is ok now. Very scary I bet.

There are times I'm really glad I wear glasses..and fireworks shows are one of them. There is no way to predict where that ash is going to fly. The wind changes all the time, so you could be fine at the start of the show, but a change of wind direction could bring ash at you. I've actually seen kids with swim goggles on at WDW watching the fireworks!!

Wow -- I had no idea that could happen! I'm not great in crowds, though, so we always position ourselves pretty much on the outskirts for any fireworks display. Guess that's why I didn't know about the potential for fallout.

I'm so glad she's doing better, poor sweeie -- must have been really scary for both of you!

Yup, happened to me 21 years ago on my honeymoon at EPCOT. It's been happening a loooong time.

Not at Disney World, but at a large public fireworks event on the 4th of July when I was a kid. I didn't get it in the eye, but the little girl next to me did (and I still worry/wonder about her and if she was okay). I got little burning pieces all on my chest and arms. It was hot enough that it burned/melted through my terry cloth shirt (hey - it was the 80s!) and burned my chest. Left chicken pox size burns all over my chest and arms. I haven't been comfortable at any fireworks display since that time. Just a month or so later, we took a family trip to Disney World and my older cousins still make fun of me saying that I ruined 20,000 people's summer vacations when I totally freaked out and went hysterical when the fireworks started at the park. I think I was probably 6 (?).

Happened to us the last time we were at Epcot. We like to sit at the secluded little area just past the R&C Pub as you're heading towards France. You can get down close to the water and there's a couple benches down there.
Well, it didn't dawn on us that the wind was blowing that way. We did get some ash, but the main thing was the wall of smoke that rolled over us. And you could certainly feel the heat from the fire effects.

For OP, very happy to hear your daughter is OK!

I got a bit of hot ash in my face and eye at the local 4th of July fireworks years ago. It hurt but my eye and face were fine after a day or so.

I am sorry that this happened to your dd, for kids things like that are more traumatic. If it was my dd, I would make an appt with the eye dr just to make sure her eye's okay.

Oh, poor thing. I hope incident quickly fades out of her memory.
Must happen quite frequently. If you look at the ice cream shop next to the castle, that is across from the tea cups, they are always spraying it down with water during the fireworks. Most likely to prevent it from starting on fire if ash or a shell should land on it.

I've always had issue with the smoke and my respiratory system. Make it a point to catch the fireworks from either the contempory, or more often than not the Polynesion. Good view, no nasty side effects.

I will send kudos to the first aid folks at MK though. I've had to utilize them for dehydration during a summer trip. They are awesome! Very helpful and it sounds like they encounter this more often than not.

I got fireworks ash just below my eye one night. I was pretty thankful it fell where it fell and no higher.

A couple of years ago we booked an Illuminations cruise. The night of the cruise was a little windy but nothing to bad. Once the show started we started to feel a little ash come down and the boat captain said that was normal. Closer to the end when the fireworks really start shooting off the ash was coming down on us like a blizzard, literally we were covered in ash. The boat captain was radioed to come back to the dock at the BC so he pulled forward to untie the boat and we could see that the bridge was cleared of people. When we got back to the dock where their were lights we could see there was no where the ash hadn't gone. The boat captain said that he had never experienced it before. We had a ton of fun regardless. They offered to reimburse us but since we had a good time we didn't feel comfortable taking the reimbursement. It happens and it can't always be avoided (we were stuck on a boat).

A friend of mine got an ember in her eye on PI when they still did the "new years" celebration every night. Some of those fireworks are fairly low to the ground, and although the embers burn out quickly, it is NOT unusual for them to hit people. I'm actually somewhat surprised it isn't more of a liability issue at some level.

That happened to me during the 4th of July (not at Disney though). The wind was blowing in my direction and I got ash and smoke in my eyes. It wasn't bad, but it sure did sting for a while.

Sorry this happened to your DD! I hope she's okay!

I hope your DD is okay and that she doesn't hate fireworks because of it. How terrifying for her and for you. Not at WDW, but I worked at a lake resort hotel many years ago for a college summer. We had a 4th of July fireworks show and one of my co-workers was laying on her back watching the show with the rest of us, and a half of one of the fireworks shells came down and hit her in the stomach. She had a nasty huge round bruise. It was related to the wind direction and speed and they wound up ending the fireworks show in the middle after that happened, due to that and also some concerns that the wind was causing sparks to get too low to the ground and too near the guests as well as the hotel itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter