My 5yr old will be MORTIFIED to ride in a stroller!!!

Just returned from WDW yesterday with my 8 and 5 year olds. Did not rent or use strollers at all, both kids did great with almost zero whining. We followed advice of Un-official Guide which worked
for us -- 4-5 weeks prior to trip I took walks with the kids every day I could (even in rain & snow) gradually increasing distance, sometimes speed (like we were rushing to ride Dumbo or Space Mountain first thing in the morning). Each walk we took I reminded them we were getting in shape for Disney World where no complaints are allowed! I had them practice paying attention to their feet, to see if any "hotspots" where blisters were developing. By the time they got there, we were all better conditioned to walk longer distances. Since there was so much going on around them, they were rarely focused on feeling tired. We always took a mid-day break around 2:30pm to swim & cool out in the room before heading out again for dinner & evening events. Just knowing that a rest was on its way was also a help. I was glad not to have stroller logistics to worry about.

Planner your name says it all! We also got our family used to walking before going to WDW. The kids were 7 & 3 1/2. We purchased new tennis shoes and made sure they were broken in and comfortable before our trip. We really enjoyed our walks at the park and discussed our summer trip. We had no need for a stroller.

We were there in dec 2000 our DD was 5 1/2. She is a big mature 5 1/2 yr old. She never once used a stroller or asked for one. We took afternoon breaks & she did nap. She never naps at home any more. But these were long days 7-8 am to 10-11pm. We paced our selves & backed off in the afternoons for rest. I'd rather rest that push a whining child in a stroller.

Just wanted to let you know not every child uses a stroller

marie01.gif

My 6 and 8 year old have too much energy to ask to sit in a stroller especially when on holiday at WDW. We did use a stroller round Epcot when youngest DS was 4 because we thought it was a bit far for him but I just ended up pushing the empty stroller (mind you it is handy for packages, bags etc).
I think its a great idea to do family walks before you go. We try to go out on the weekends to get in practise - this is for DH and my benefit as we get tired long before the two boys!! LOL

Oct/Nov 1987 Travelodge Maingate East (WDW)
1991 Anaheim (DL)
1993 Camp Davey Crockett (DLP)
1995 Hotel Cheyenne (DLP)
1996 Sequoia Lodge (DLP)
Oct 1997 Esprit Villa(WDW)
Mar 2000 Esprit Villa(WDW)
Feb 2001 Esprit Villa(WDW)
Dec 2001/Jan 2002 Esprit Villa (WDW)

I agree, we rent a stroller for our six year old daughter. She will ride for awhile and walk alittle of the ways, but I at least I have one. We have been to the parks too many times that they run out of strollers. That brings me to Epcot. Every time we have been there they have run out of strollers and they give out wheelchairs to families because they are out of the strollers. I do not agree with this. They need to think about buying more and newer ones. They are really out dated. In this case, we make our daughter walk and check back to see if they have any. And I agree, they are handy just to carry the backpack, the packages, the pop bottles and water bottles plus whatever else you are carrying.

We have a six year old daughter and we rent a stoller every time. She will ride for awhile and then walk some, but at least I have one. We have been to the parks too many times that they run out of strollers. And I agree, they are handy to carry all of the backpacks, pop bottles, water bottles, packages, and everything that has been riding on your back. But this brings me to Epcot. Everytime we are at Epcot, they are out of strollers and this is early in the morning. They start handing out wheelchairs to families because they are out of strollers. I do not agree with this. Our daughter will walk and we check back to see if they have any strollers. She doesn't complain because we tell her that if Grandmother was with this wouldn't be fair. I think they need to invest in some new strollers and new ones. They are alittle on the old side. So my opinion is to rent or bring your own. One thing to add, while she is riding in the stroller she navigates and reads the map. It gives her something to do.

We rented a double stroller everyday for our 22 month old and 5.5 year old. She nevers uses a stroller at home but she was perfectly delighted to get in one at disney world. I could not believe how old a lot of the kids were in strollers there, 6,7,8, and older! Its a great way to go for them, especially the rented ones as they don't look like the usual "baby" strollers from home. It doesn't take long for a kid to get tired of walking and if its crowded they cannot see anything anyway.
I like it as it kept the 22 month old very happy to have her sister next to her so she didn't want to pop out all the time and the 5.5 year old was happy, not tired and NOT running off all the time to go buy every thing in sight!
You can always rent one after being at the park for a few hours, after your kids sees the other kids his age in a stroller you may be happily surprised!

Hi! Our son is almost 5 and we went to WDW last month for the first time. He hasn't been willing to ride in a stroller for well over a year. But due to all the great tips on this board, we took ours anyway. Boy are we glad we did!
He rode in it every morning (early, still sleepy), in the afternoons when it was getting hot (pulled the sunshade down) and especially at night (saved my DH's back not having to carry him all the way back to the resort).
Like others have said...you'll see kids of all ages in strollers...much older than 5! Plus, what a relief to have someplace to stash water bottles, bags, etc.
Tips: Be aware if you bring your own - sometimes the CM's will "tidy up" a stroller area...so it may not be exactly where you parked it when you get onto a ride. If you have a popular style stroller, attach something that will make yours stand out. You won't believe the "sea of stollers" once you get there. You don't have to fold it up on the monorails, as long as there's space available to roll it on. Most Disney bus drivers will make you fold it up to carry it onto the bus. But you can sit in the back near the back exit door, makes it easier to get off.
Hope this helps - have fun!

I guess I'm the exception not the rule... I too was debating on whether or not to bring a stroller last time we were there. I think it really depends on your child. We were there for a week. During that week my DD turned 5. We did NOT bring a stroller and she never asked about getting one. We were at all of the parks from open to close every day. So she was out very late. I think the only time my DH carried our DD was off the bus to our room. I can't imagine bringing a stroller just to put stuff in. Or dragging it on and off the plane. We have enough luggage as it is. I certainly didn't need to add a stroller to our list of stuff. We all had fanny packs even my 5 year old. And anything we bought we got as we were leaving the park so we didn't have to carry it around with us. Or if you are staying at the Disney Resorts you can have purchases delivered to your room. I think that's one only you can really answer. What ever you decide...Have a great time

Mary.Poppins
My carpet bag's packed...I'm ready to go!!!

I was thinking about this last week! I'm going to buy a cheap double umbrella stroller, because I know my 6 & 9 (skinny minney) yr. old DDs will want to ride when they get tired. I would rather haul it around (will probably just put my "stuff" in there when they're not riding) than hear them whining about being too tired to walk. I think they'll really enjoy it.

fetch.dll

That was some can of worms I opened. :eek:
Well, It seems to be 50/50 do or don't so I guess I'll just see how the kids do. If they get too tired to walk maybe we'll get the stroller or maybe we'll go back to the hotel for a swim.
I like the idea of "training" before we go - gonna try it.

Thanks for all the views.
curly :)

RAtimontrans.gif
<font Color =FF0000>HIFS 10/01
<marquee direction ="right" align="middle" behavior="alternate">can't wait, can't wait, CAN'T WAIT!!</marquee>

<font face="comic sans MS">"It's disney, it's crowded. Get over it!"</font>

IMHO, 5 is too old for a stroller. Yes, kids will get tired, and when they do it is time for a break.

Animal Kingdom Lodge 6/01

I went to Disney with my uncle's family. They had a five year old at the time (she's 6 now) They forgot to bring the stroller, and my cousin was just fine. Of course, my sister gave her piggy-back rides sometimes and that helped. But it was easier without the stroller, you dont have to worry about where you put it.

Molly

8/93-Port Orleans
4/95-Port Orleans
8/98-Port Orleans
11/98- Carribean Beach
4/99-Carribean Beach
8/99-Old Key West/Boardwalk Inn
2/00-Disney Institute
8/00- Coronado Springs/Old Key West

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter