My 50th Birthday Solo Trip Blow-Out (Sept 2-13, 2017)

Monday, September 4rd (continued)

I didn't linger too long in Frontierland (really not as much to do there with Splash Mountain and Hall of the Presidents down), but I did pause long enough to ask a family if they could take my picture in the stocks so I could have a matching photo from 31 years ago! ::MinnieMo
full

I guess I've moved up in the world? :earboy2:
full

I headed into Fantasyland, where there's little shade and that sun was just beating down on the pavement in the hottest part of the day, so I'll admit I didn't take many photos because I didn't hang out long in the area. I did take this one of the back of Cinderalla's Castle because it's a view you never see unless you've been there and took a moment to notice. The architecture is very different and lovely. There's not much inside the Castle to look at (gift shop, restaurant with almost-impossible-to-get reservations, and an exclusive club I think, plus some very exclusive resort rooms for lottery winners and special guests) however. In fact you can find a very funny clip on Youtube of a little girl's disappointment with the castle... lol
full

I had some time before my second Fastpass, so I decided to get in line for the Under the Sea--Journey of The Little Mermaid attraction. I've never been on it but since it's one of my favorite "newer" Disney films, it felt like a must-do. The line seemed to move rather slow considering it was a conveyor-style ride, but I did eventually get a "shell" to myself. I'd say the ride was nice, but I'll admit that my experience was tainted a bit by the woman in the car next to mine who kept taking flash photos. Several people in other cars--including me--asked her to please stop but she kept right on doing it. It was the only time in my entire vacation where I started to feel my temper rise a little, but luckily the ride didn't last long and then I was able to get out and away from her evil influence.

Tip: Want to piss off other people at Disney World? Use your flash in a dark attraction despite repeated instructions to NOT use a flash. Not only does it break the spell for everyone around you, but it can actually blind performers involved in live shows. Plus, seriously, photos dark shows look like crap when you use the flash, which defeats the entire purpose. And odds are you'll never look at those photos again anyway, so you ruined everyone's experience--including your own--for nothing. Honestly, anywhere else but Disney and she would have probably gotten beat up afterward. Don't be that person!

I used my second Fastpass for Peter Pan's Flight. Don't ask me why, with the possible exception of the Seven Dwarfs coast, this is the most popular--and longest line!--in all of the Magic Kingdom. It makes no sense.

Tip: If you or your kids want to ride on this, USE A FASTPASS. I know they're precious and you'd rather use it on something you WANT to ride on, but this is the only attraction, IMO, that is NOT worth the Stand-by Line wait. Not even close. We're talking easily over 60 minutes no matter what time of day. When I was there it was 90 minutes! But it IS one of the few true classic Walt rides and it's very kid-friendly and you ride around in a swing chair, so it's unique. But there's nothing spectacular or thrilling about it, certainly not 45 years later. But using that Fastpass will shave your wait down significantly (although you STILL have to wait!) so you can spend your time on much more worthy rides. Just trust me on this.

Magical Moment!: While waiting in the Fastpass line for Peter Pan, I struck up a conversation with a couple and their adult kids behind me, and we had enough time to exchange our Disney histories and where we were from, etc. They were very cool and we said goodbye after the ride. Then I wandered off to find something quick to eat, and ended up going back into the Liberty Square area to sit for a bit and eat a quick lunch (had to go with the corn dog because reasons!). Took my time to give my feet a break, sharing a table with another solo traveler who was from England and there for over a month (she wrote a travel blog). When I was done, I headed back to the Fantasyland area and, since I had some time yet before my last Fastpass for Seven Dwarfs, I decided I'd have enough time to squeeze in It's a Small World (another conveyor belt ride so never a long wait). I got into line, then glanced behind me only to watch the same family from the Peter Pan ride fall into line behind me! We let out a shout like were were long-lost friends! I laughed and said, "Wow, it really is a small world after all!" and we all laughed and groaned at that, then picked up the conversation where we'd left off. And remember, this was a busy day. So yeah, I consider that a magic moment.
:tink:
Afterward, I headed for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, one of the few new-to-me attractions in the Magic Kingdom (built in 2014). This roller coaster instantly jumped to my top 3 favorite rides in all of Disney World, and it's no wonder that it's nearly impossible to get Fastpasses after that 60-day reservation mark. It isn't super tall and has no loops, but the cars are shaped like half-barrels and hung on hinges so that they can rock as you go into banking curves (of which there are a lot!). It's got quick acceleration on the short slopes that make you shriek as you fly into those curves and over the little humps that lift you out of your seat. On top of that, this has the coolest incline hill ever because you go into the mine and suddenly the dwarfs are singing and working and marching up the hill with you and you can't help but sing "Hi hooooooooo!" along with them as you go up, and then you're shrieking and laughing as you fly into more corners. It's probably the most ENGAGING ride I've ever been on and I was instantly hooked. ABSOLUTELY Fastpass-worthy if you can get it--just because you'll probably want to get right back in line again.

By this time, it was mid-afternoon, I was exhausted from the heat and walking, and I had a dinner reservation outside the park, so I started heading back toward the main gate, this time browsing a little bit through the Main Street shops as I went.

Observation: The Disney folks are no dopes. They know people will do just about anything to escape the heat for a little while, so all these seemingly different shops are really just one block-long shop with wide-open doorways everywhere. And they know that if you have the choice between walking down the road or "shortcut" through an air conditioned shop, you're going to pick the A/C, so they bombard you with merchandise the entire way. They're geniuses!

I'd learned my lesson from the day before and now knew where the closest Monorail and boat landing were. If the boats are running and I have the time, I always go with the boat! It's probably because I live within a Metro train commuting area so the Monorail doesn't feel as unique to me as a boat does. Plus, the boat reminds me of the African Queen, so yeah.
:sail:
full

I was heading for the Grand Floridian luxury resort across the lake to have dinner at the signature restaurant, Narcoossee's, but I had a good 60 minutes to rest and recoup from the day, so I walked through the resort's courtyard and entered the main lobby to check it out. I was blown away by just how beautiful it was--a tribute to Victorian-era luxury with a vaulted ceiling and guilded decor. There was live music all the time, alternating between a gentleman in tuxedo playing on a Grand piano in the center floor or a small band up on the second floor balcony, playing mostly Disney tunes in gentle or jazz arrangements.
full

full

This is a bit of the lovely tile work in front of the little restaurant where you can have High Tea.
full

And this stunning example of sculpted chocolate!
full

I had TWO very magical moments happen while I was waiting there! It was a truly moving start to a wonderful evening.

Magical Moment 1: As I mentioned in my initial pre-trip post, one of the reasons for why I decided to go to Disney World for my first major destination vacation in 15 years was because it felt like a way to remember my Dad whom I'd lost 2.5 years ago. He had loved coming to Disney--not because he was necessarily a child at heart but because he was a self-taught engineer who appreciated and felt a kindred spirit with Walt (trains was another connection). I miss talking with him and this felt like a way to reconnect a little bit. Anyway, I was lounging on a couch in the main floor lobby while my phone charged, just enjoying the music drifting down from above (they were playing "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" in a wonderful arrangement that I was digging!), and then the song changed and I instantly choked up. They had started playing an old song you almost never hear anymore called "Harbor Lights."
It's not a Disney song, and it was the last thing I would expect to hear...but it was my Mom and Dad's song. Truly. It was THEIR song. I had tears in my eyes because in that moment it really did feel like my Dad was there with me. (It's making me tear up again writing about it.)

Afterward, I ran up the stairs to the second floor and waited until their set was over, then walked up and told them my story and how much they had touched me and what it meant to me. And I think I made their night, too, so I hope it was magical for them as well that somebody not only recognized that old song but appreciated it.
full

Magical Moment 2: I was wandering around the ground floor appreciating the decor and checking out the little shops attached, then watched as the man in tuxedo at the piano got up and allowed this young man to sit down at the keyboard. I don't think anyone even noticed this was happening until he started to play--and what we heard was a perfect concert-level pianist! I'm not exactly sure what he played, but my gut said it was two more obscure Debussy pieces. He played so beautifully that he brought the entire LOBBY to a stop to watch and a crowd gathered or found seats to just absorb what he was playing. When he finished he got a standing ovation from the entire room. Again, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to witness this special moment.
full

I finally had to leave that magic room for my dinner reservation. I walked back through the courtyard. It was starting to sprinkle a bit and the lighting was beautiful as I headed to Narcoosee's on the water.
full

full

I checked in and as I waited for my table, I spotted yet another spectacular chocolate sculpture!
full

Here was the view from my table.
full

Are you ready for the food? :donald:

My server's name was Steve, and he was great. After going over the menu, I asked for a wine recommendation to go with my picks and he suggested a light Sauvignon Blanc that did indeed go perfectly with what I ordered.
full

I decided to start with Maine Lobster Bisque (Butter-poached Lobster, Coral, Chives). It was rich and flavorful, with a nice subtle heat that built up as you went. There was also a generous amount of lobster in it, so it was more filling than it would seem. Excellent choice!
full

Then I had the Shrimp and Crab Cake (Creamy Rémoulade Sauce, Red Quinoa-Cabbage Slaw). I can be picky about my crabcakes because I've lived in or near Maryland for nearly 25 years now and know a good one when I have it. This wasn't trying to be a Maryland crabcake--it was unique with the shrimp and with fresh corn, etc. I really liked it, which was a good thing since I wasn't a fan of the slaw--it just didn't do much for me and I didn't finish it.
full

I was debating ordering desert because I was feeling full, but Steve answered the question for me be surprising me with their most popular dessert as a Happy Birthday treat on the house. Almond-crusted Cheesecake (with Lambert Cherry Sauce) and vanilla-bean foam. And yes, it was as delicious as it looked!
full

During dinner a rain storm passed through, but it was finished by the time I was done and walked back outside. I hung out on the docks for a little while, just enjoying the cooler air and beautiful view. This is Narcoossee's on the water.
full

full

The boats weren't running because of the storm, and by this time I was truly exhausted and didn't feel like going through security again, so I decided to take a bus back to Disney Springs and then the boat from there back to my resort and call it a night. I'll be honest, the nightly fireworks had completely slipped my mind or I would have stayed on the dock to watch them. A dumb mistake I won't make again if I get another chance.

Disney Springs that night was a very different experience than the night before! It was Labor Day evening and practically empty with no lines for drinks or shopping!
full

I got a margarita to go for the boat ride to my resort, then walked to the dock and relaxed as the lights slipped by.
full

Allow me to state again that I loved the French Quarter resort. It was exactly what my soul needed after a overloaded and heated day--intimate, quiet, and lovely.
full

full
We've never stayed at the POFQ, but love the PORS & mansions section of that resort. It also has or had the best on-site counter service for food. Now that we're DVC we probably won't get a chance to try POFQ.

Tuesday, September 5th (continued)
I had a late lunch reservation at Tiffins (on Discovery Island) that I was really looking forward to, so at some point I started working my way back to that area. I arrived a little early and was dripping sweat by this point so I sat down on a bench in the shade to wait and watch people.
full

I checked into my reservation right at the time when the daily afternoon rain shower passed through, so suddenly the lobby was packed with people who didn't actually have reservations, which was one of the very few times I felt a bit annoyed because they were distracting the cast members and delaying my being seated. I just let it slide off because it wasn't worth getting upset over, and even my server gave me a look and rolled her eyes a little, so it was understood.
full

The first think I noticed, of course, was the absolutely stunning decor. I can't even really describe it, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
full

full

full

After speaking with my server and reviewing the menu, I went with her suggestion of doing the three-course package deal that included priority seating for the River of Light show that evening (it wasn't my original intention but she sort of talked me into it). She suggested this wine to pair with my meal and it was a good choice.
full

I started off things with this tasty appetizer. I've never had octopus served this way so it was on the adventurous side for me, but that's why I was there! I'm so glad I did because it was excellent--cooked just right so it wasn't too chewy, with that hint of crispiness from the grill. I cleared the plate. (Marinated Grilled Octopus with Salsify, Saffron Aïoli, and Lemon-Caper Olive Oil)
full

For the main entree I decided to keep it on the light side (just too hot out to be tempted by heavier stuff) and went with the Seared Hokkaido Scallops with Green Onion Panisse, Spring Pea Textures, and Applewood-smoked Bacon Jam. This was, looking back now, probably the best meal I had in all of Disney. It was just perfect! The scallops were just right--tender with that crisp sear, the peas brightened the plate, and that bacon jam was heavenly.
full

I normally don't order desserts, but since this was a package deal, I went with the lightest thing on the menu, the Sorbet Tasting of dragon fruit and passion fruit, with Kaffir Lime Syrup, Passion Fruit Curd, and crunchy Vanilla Crouton. I'd picked right! It was a perfect finish, not too sweet and the citrus was a lovely palette cleanser. I wasn't fond of the little crouton things, though. :)
full

I thought I was done, but then my server came back and set this surprise on my table! I swear, I'm going to Disney World for all my birthdays from now on! :thumbsup2 This was a collection of Dark chocolate truffle with toasted coconut, a guava jelly, and a berry meringue. They were very tasty.
full

Magic Moment: After the meal, as I was finishing my wine, my server returned and asked me if I knew who Joe Rohde was. I sat up in my seat and said that, as a matter of fact, I DID know who Joe Rohde was! (Thank you, DIS!) I said that he was the Disney Imagineer responsible for all of the Animal Kingdom gorgeousness, from the layout to the Tree of Life to the very decorations within Tiffins. She grinned and said that normally they only give one of these concept collector cards to guests per visit, but since I'd guessed correctly, she was giving me TWO of them! See, it pays to do your homework!
full

Afterward I waddled back into the sauna bath outside. The rain had stopped and the sun was just beating down by that point and I was severely missing a hat, so I finally broke down and went shopping for something to keep my head a bit cooler. I found exactly what I was looking for, amazingly enough!
I call this picture "The hills are alive with the sound of Yeti."
full

At this point I sampled yet another of the myriad margaritas available, this time the African Margarita.
full

I spent very little time in "Dinoland USA." I have to say that I HATED this portion of the park, truly. IMO even Pandora feels more natural and appropriate than this eyesore does. I didn't take pictures because I felt there was nothing I wanted to capture. It was ugly and garish, like a traveling carnival you might find in a parking lot of any town on a summer weekend, right down to the cracked tar pavement. The same out-of-the-box rides, the same "games of skill" stalls, everything. It felt utterly out of place in a park that's promoting conservation and nature. I think you're getting the gist.

I did ride Dinosaur, and it'll probably come as no surprise that I felt this was the worst attraction in Disney World. It was jolting and far too dark, to the point I couldn't even see the stuff I was supposed to be scared by. You just got the sense something was supposed to be there and you were supposed to react, but nobody could see it. You got off it wondering, "That was it?" Luckily there was no line, but even the wait in the reception room wasn't worth it...well, with the exception of this pictures.
full

On the other end of the spectrum, I LOVED Expedition Everest. The setting alone is stunning--depending on your angle, the design of this attraction tricks your eye and looks massive amd realistic, even when you can see the true scale next to the roller coaster track.
See what I mean? (The genius of Joe Rhode!)
full

full

full

The line inside winds you through what is supposed to be a Himalayan Expedition and Yeti Museum, so it's a wonderful mix of authentic and fake artifacts, presenting everything from mountain climbing gear to fauna from the region, from cultural relics to new articles. There's tons to look at so you don't really have time to be bored. The ride itself has a story and it has a twist I've never experienced before--at one point as you're approaching the crest of a hill and expect to go flying down the other side, you realize that the tracks ahead are ripped out! Then you start to roll backward, faster and faster through banking turns before again rising upward--then you start to roll forward again all the while being "chased" by the Yeti as it tries to grab you. The minute we started rolling backward, everybody started shrieking and laughing and it never stopped after that. The ride also benefits from the newer technology of being very smooth with tight banking curves so you don't get that whiplash effect. It was instant love for me.

I don't have pictures for the following shows, but here were my impressions of them:

Finding Nemo--the Musical: I thought this was okay. I actually arrived a little late and was expecting to be turned away, but the cast member outside escorted me in anyway, so I did miss the introduction. This was a live-action musical with actors in costumes, some of them pretty ingenious to appear like the fish were swimming. Since the original Pixar film wasn't a musical, obviously all of the songs were new to me. The singing was great and it was fascinating how they portrayed some of the trickier scenes from the film. It's an excellent way to get out of the heat and off your feet, while being entertained at the same time.

Festival of the Lion King: Holy cow! This was absolutely the best live show I saw on my entire vacation. I don't believe it's anything like the actual Broadway show (haven't seen yet), but this is a lot more like if you mixed Disney with Cirque du Soleil. It's done in theater-in-the round, with the square stage in the middle and stadium seating around all for sides. While they sing many of the songs from the film, they aren't attempting to retell the movie--they're telling their own story. The choreography and staging is fanatic and grand, and immersive because they're all around you and there isn't a bad seat in the house. They filled the room and you're caught up from the moment the lights dim. And OMG, I couldn't take my eyes off the monkeys--they were hysterical! This is one of those things you just HAVE to see because pictures don't do it justice.

full

Late afternoon I was ready to have something for dinner but wanted something simple (and cheap after that lunch!). I was in the area around Flame Tree BBQ. I'd heard and read so many warning about this place that I was super hesitant to go there, but then I spotted pretty much exactly what I was looking for food-wise and decided to take a change. I didn't regret it.
I got the Smoked Turkey Breast Sandwich (Smoked Turkey, Lettuce and Tomato on Multigrain Bread and topped with a House-made Cranberry Mayonnaise served with fresh Fruit). I already had the frozen strawberry margarita and this went perfect with it. It was pretty good, too. The ingredients were fresh and the portion was just right.
full

The best part, though...something all those ney-sayers leave out about the Flame Tree BBQ, is the absolutely stunning seating area behind it. If you didn't look closer while walking by, you would miss this hidden treasure behind. Just look at this! I could sit back there with a drink all day and just let the world roll by.
full

full

full

full

This was my dinning companion, Bernie.
full

I ran out of time and never got a chance to visit the Nomad Lounge--next trip!
full

The Tree of Life. I don't even know where to begin with this monumental work of art. The closer you get to this giant focal point for the entire park, the more the details in the "bark" begin to appear before your eyes. The ingenuity in how Joe Rohde (hello again!) worked all these animals into a comprehensive single piece boggles my mind. I'm sorry I missed the evening light show that centers on it, but it conflicted with the Rivers of Light show that I already had a ticket for. Here are some pics that barely do it justice--see just how many animals you can spot. (I have more pictures on my return day when the lighting was better that I'll post later.)
full

full

full

full

I topped off the day with watching the Rivers of Light show on the water. I'll admit that I don't know if it was worth the package price (the meal was, but I wouldn't pay for priority seating again). I'm not sure how there would be better or worse seating since it was all happening out on the boats and fountains of water with images projected on them. There are no fireworks at this park to protect the animals, so instead they came up with this elaborately choreographed show with constantly moving lighted boats. They used high-powered sprays of water as a projection screen, so for example you could watch the digital image of a tiger leaping from spray to spray across the lake. It was cool and pretty impressive considering all the moving pieces. It was a great winding-down show to cap off a day, watching the sun set and the magical lighting of the park appear.
full
Your comments on Dino Land are right on the money! For me, besides the FOP & Everest rides, the best of this park is the Gorilla walk in Africa and the Asia area where you can get beautiful pics of the gorillas and tigers in such natural looking environments.

I definitely WANT to go back, but I can't realistically do so any time soon, so I'm attempting to remain cautiously optimistic. I have a credit card to pay off, plus I just had an old crown break off last week and will likely have to pay most of it out-of-pocket. Every time something like that happens, it sets me back several more months in my projected time-frame. This single-income-budget thing is for the birds!

What I have done so far is take my Excel spreadsheet and planning tool, updated and cleaned it up, and will leverage it for a future trip. All I'll need to do is pick a date and I'll be ready to start the process over again. There are other things I'd like to do at some point (a trip to Scotland, maybe elsewhere overseas), plus trips home (1,000 miles away), that I have to factor in. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and the pending Galaxy's Edge land is in the back of my mind as well, although after my experience with Pandora, I'm inclined to give it a good year after opening before I'll visit. :crowded:
Wonderful, very informative report. I'm so happy that I stumbled onto it. If you are interested, check out the trip report titled, "England and Scotland Trip Updated 12/6" in the Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports. It's not a cruise trip report. I didn't author it, but the author graciously allowed me to add our 10-dy non-cruise trip to Scotland within it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!