My 13yr old doesn't want to go now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Employers don't care about missing a week of school for vacation. They care about a pattern of truancy, which shows a lack of responsibility. At least this is what I was concerned about as a hiring manager.

this was written by a previous poster. just curious what she considers poor attendance at school. missing 10 days or more at work may cost you your job in certain companies.

or maybe the college of your choice.

There's a huge difference between missing 5 days of school for a planned vacation, and missing 10 days of school because you're a slacker.

Employers don't care about missing a week of school for vacation. They care about a pattern of truancy, which shows a lack of responsibility. At least this is what I was concerned about as a hiring manager.

this was written by a previous poster. just curious what she considers poor attendance at school. missing 10 days or more at work may cost you your job in certain companies.

or maybe the college of your choice.

??? I am just really confused by your constant reference to work situations. Many if not most employers allow for some vacation time, whether paid or not. Of course you'll get fired if you simply do not show up for work - that's a no-brainer. ENTIRELY different situation than a parent taking a child out of school for a week with notice given!

And to answer your previous question, also unrelated, yes I do work. I have been a software engineer for 16 years and I also teach part-time in addition to a variety of volunteer jobs and parenting 3 kids. And now I need to get to bed for said job which starts at 6 am. I did appreciate the lively discussion though!! :)

??? I am just really confused by your constant reference to work situations. Many if not most employers allow for some vacation time, whether paid or not. Of course you'll get fired if you simply do not show up for work - that's a no-brainer. ENTIRELY different situation than a parent taking a child out of school for a week with notice given!

And to answer your previous question, also unrelated, yes I do work. I have been a software engineer for 16 years and I also teach part-time in addition to a variety of volunteer jobs and parenting 3 kids. And now I need to get to bed for said job which starts at 6 am. I did appreciate the lively discussion though!! :)

the point is have poor attendance patterns in school (miss school 10-20 days a year) and you won't have to worry...no one will hire you . don't take your kids out of school for a vacation it can wait till there off from school period.

no one will hire you

Frankly, if anyone ever did refuse to hire someone because they missed a week of their sophomore year, it would be a blessing--who wants to work for an idiot?

There are plenty of potentially valid arguments for not taking kids out of school. There's no reason to go inventing silly ones.

the point is have poor attendance patterns in school (miss school 10-20 days a year) and you won't have to worry...no one will hire you . don't take your kids out of school for a vacation it can wait till there off from school period.

I'm going to strongly disagree with this. My two oldest dd20 and dd19 both missed way more than 10 days of school a year all through high school.

Not once when applying to school or applying for employment (including for the Disney College Program) was their high school attendance questioned.

Both received academic scholarships and both are employed.

One is currently in the Disney College Program working in entertainment and now of course with their college and work schedules, vacations and time off are extremely limited.

My own personal experience has been that neither of my older dd have been negatively impacted by taking time off during their high school years. Both of have said and will say that they don't regret a single school day missed.

Which one do you think would be the best reflection of childhood as an adult?

Memories of family time, visiting place like Rome or Egypt, all while maintaining excellent grades despite missing school. Learning things about different currencies, languages, traditions...having meals in countries with different food types and experiences...all the photographic memories of visiting exotic places like Monaco or Russia. Or even visits to Nassau and Castaway Cay.

OR

A perfect attendance certificate? Perhaps even framed?

None of what has been debated regarding attendance has anything to do with the OPs original question. In addition, some of you with perfect attendance? May need to revisit some grammar classes. You sit in judgment about the OP, I'm pretty sure that you should judge not, least you be judged.

Just after we returned from the cruise he interviewed with our local congressman and senators and he received his appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point. We just planned our youngest's senior trip for next year - same trip, but older brother will not be joining us. He'll be in his second year and busy with classes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we all make the decisions that are right for our families. It's important for all of us to respect the decisions that our Dis friends make.

I forgot to post, congratulations on your sons appointment to the Military Academy at West Point. That is quite an accomplishment! I hope he is doing well in his Freshman Year!

Op here:)...just wanted to say WOW!!! :scared1: Who would have that my original post would be this popular:) I do have to say that I'm not selfish. My husband and I sacrafice alot for our kids. When I told DH the cost of our last cruise he said, " That could have bought a really nice zero turn mower" ;)

our the parents trying to live thru there kids. the kids are in school for a reason..to learn..you can't learn if your not there. vacations can wait to school is on break.

you can't justify taking the kids out of school period. so what there A students ..you set a poor example when you tell them it's all right not to go.

again would you blow off your job... (fake sick) and then go on vacation.. i hope not ..because if you did i would fire you on your return.

school should be the same way. your there to learn.

to the parents that do...your living life with blinders on..:cool2:

I find this thread absolutely interesting. As you may have guessed, I am a college student. I'm a junior in a state university going into elementary education in Michigan. This is just to give a little background knowledge of my perspective of the taking-the-kids-out-of-school-for-a-week issue.

While I can understand the desire for a family vacation for a week, even when sacrificing school for it, I do not agree with it. School is far too important for students to miss. I'm not saying that kids shouldn't be taken out for a day if they're sick. They should because you don't want to spread the sickness onto other kids. I'm saying it's wrong to take the kids out for a week for a vacation. There are plenty of options for a family vacation during the summer. If the family cannot afford DCL during the summer, then there are other cheaper options for cruises (Carnival and Royal Caribbean). My family went on Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises for a few years because we wanted to have family time together, but we couldn't afford to take a DCL vacation during the summer and I wasn't going to take a week out of school. If cruises are still not an option for you, go to the beach. Go camping. There are other cheaper options that don't involve taking your kids out of school for a week during the school year.

Beyond this, I just wanted to point out one other thing that my title alludes to. Parents are always complaining about their teenagers "not caring" about school or the world. It's always "my kid's such an idiot" or "my kid's too worried about her boyfriend to care about school". Parents of teenagers know what I'm talking about. I'm not saying it's not warranted. Sometimes teenagers just do pretty stupid things. However, in this case, it seems like this woman's daughter actually cares about her schoolwork. She doesn't have her head in the clouds. Even when her teachers tell her it's okay to miss school, she still wants to. Boy, do I wish I saw that kind of maturity in high schoolers today!!! It's amazing! And what are some parents on this board doing? They're saying that the mom ultimately makes the decision and what do kids want today. Instead of crying for joy because they're kid actually cares about school, and trying to make alternative arrangements for the family vacation during a more appropriate time, they're yelling about their kid. As a student, I can't believe that. I have always been told to put my schoolwork before anything. Now, the moment that a kid does, and a parent should be overjoyed because they normally complain about their kid, instead they're angry because they don't know what the kid wants. Huh??? Someone please explain this to me. I blame this on parental inconsistencies. Instead of being overjoyed that their teenager actually cares about school, they're mad because the teenager doesn't want to miss school because of vacation.

Don't get me wrong. I am a huge supporter of family vacations. Even as a college student, during the one week between spring and summer semesters, I still continue to take a cruise vacation with my family. However, does it conflict with my school??? No. We make sure it doesn't. We have fun when it's appropriate. I truly understand why breakingd_awn wants to have a family vacation. However, I believe she needs to reexamine her priorities.

Dear College Student,

I am not sure why you picked that particular post of mine to quote, nor do I understand what you are trying to imply with your post.:confused3

If you read post #27 you will see that I clearly said we do NOT take our DS out of school for vacations.

If you read post #40 you will see that I said we do not do a DCL vacation every year as we also cannot afford it. We plan for them over a 3 yr. period and cruise less frequently, but during the summer when it does not interfere with school.

Therefore, I do not see why you chose me to quote, nor do I get what you're saying. :confused3 Perhaps if you re-read my post that you quoted in relationship to the OP's post after reading my OTHER posts it would make more sense to you.

Regards,
Annie

our the parents trying to live thru there kids. the kids are in school for a reason..to learn..you can't learn if your not there. vacations can wait to school is on break.

you can't justify taking the kids out of school period. so what there A students ..you set a poor example when you tell them it's all right not to go.

again would you blow off your job... (fake sick) and then go on vacation.. i hope not ..because if you did i would fire you on your return.

Once again, judge not least you be judged. Just because YOU believe it is so does not mean other people aren't entitled to make up their own minds. Surely you don't think everything you believe is the be all end all of truths for everyone? Surely as free Americans, we are entitled to make up our own minds, and decide for our children what is important for our own families?

Different opinions is great, everyone has one; and everyone should feel free to express theirs, but it should not be sitting in judgment of others that have opinions that differ from yours. Not everything is a blanket truth for every situation. I believe if I like someone telling me what is correct to decide about my own children, I'll move somewhere my freedoms are curtailed. Until then, if my school doesn't mind, and I don't mind, and my children do well in school, then I'll refrain from subscribing to your beliefs in this matter. Once again, none of this has anything to do with what the OP asked...you are judging her (and others) out of context. You also conveniently missed another post that directly addressed your comment on the Disney college program.

By the way, I also don't "get it" why you persist in using text-ese on this message boards with no capitals. If your school record was so exemplary, why aren't you using what you learned? Or is the fact that you attended perfectly sufficient?

My husband gets a paid vacation and has never faked sick ,he has a family to support and he takes his job very seriously. Sounds to me like you need to lighten up... and take a vacation.

we always arranged our vacations during times when school was out. then no excuses! Also was hesitant about leaving teens with someone else - even if a family member ie. grandma etc. My husband is in construction, so summers were out. We had vacations then during Easter. I know - more expensive, more people, but that was the alternative and we stood by it until they were out of school. never regretted it and neither did the kids. They have always said those were the best times as family! Quite a compliment I thought.

Sort of the same thing here. I don't want my children to be forced into choosing between school and a vacation so even though it might mean saving for longer so that we can do a trip during vacations, we just schedule everything when school is out.

My husband gets a paid vacation and has never faked sick ,he has a family to support and he takes his job very seriously. Sounds to me like you need to lighten up... and take a vacation.

Too funny breakingd_awn!!!

Seriously, do what you feel is right for your vacation. A friend of mine (with 2 young kids) who was just 45 years old died this week of colon cancer. Value time spent with your family. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Disney cruise. Perhaps you can find an alternate vacation that all of you (including your daughter) agree on?

I think, it is sad that parents do not put education before finances. But who am I to judge. However, my child does go to a public school and the school earns money based on student attendance. So, if a child does not go to school for week my school loses X amount per day. I think, it is something like $20 a day. Our school budgets are stretched thin and so while $20 doesn't seem like a lot to you it is to a school. This is where I have an issue because you want to pull your child out of school my child loses education dollars. The teacher still needs to be paid and books still need to bought. It is really frustrating as my dds teacher's computer broke and the principal just doesn't have the money to replace it.

I'm not saying I agree with how schools are funded but unfortunately, that is how they are funded. The only thing I can do is try and elect politicians that I think will do the right thing but even then, it might not work out.

But I do feel I have the right to tell someone that they shouldn't take their child out of school for vacation because it does effect my child whether you like it or not.

I think, it is sad that parents do not put education before finances. But who am I to judge. However, my child does go to a public school and the school earns money based on student attendance. So, if a child does not go to school for week my school loses X amount per day. I think, it is something like $20 a day. Our school budgets are stretched thin and so while $20 doesn't seem like a lot to you it is to a school. This is where I have an issue because you want to pull your child out of school my child loses education dollars. The teacher still needs to be paid and books still need to bought. It is really frustrating as my dds teacher's computer broke and the principal just doesn't have the money to replace it.

I'm not saying I agree with how schools are funded but unfortunately, that is how they are funded. The only thing I can do is try and elect politicians that I think will do the right thing but even then, it might not work out.

But I do feel I have the right to tell someone that they shouldn't take their child out of school for vacation because it does effect my child whether you like it or not.

Not every child goes to public schools.

easier to just type. don't need to take vacations...retired over a year ago ..with great benefits and pension at 56.
when we do go on vacations it when out son is out of school.
by the way as i said .. pulling your kids out of school for a vacation is wrong and nothing changes that. your expected to be there unless your sick. would you tell your employer ..i know the week is closed ..but we got this great deal for dcl vacation ...i'm going to go anyways. if work counts why shouldn't school count for attendance.

i doubt any school district would support you in missing school for a vacation.
parents set a bad example when they think it doesn't matter..it does.

now enough said on this ..done posting re this topic.

maybe we can chat about the greatest team in baseball...enough said the yankees of course.

i doubt any school district would support you in missing school for a vacation.

Just goes to show that blanket statements shouldn't be used...on the contrary, my school is very supportive when I pull my kids out. They have been some amazing places and traveling is part of my job. My children's teachers are very supportive as well. In fact, I get more grief when they miss cheerleading than school! So doubt away, you are incorrect. I also chose my career for flexibility...I don't want to live my life in a rigid way, and that is MY CHOICE.

I'm glad you are retired and happy. Personally, I think life can be too short to worry about so much perfection. My brother in law died at 34 with brain cancer. I'm pretty sure that the things he remembered while dying for a year wasn't his perfect school attendance, but the memories his family made being together. So while you have the luxury of doing what you want now, some people won't get that chance, ever. Who are you to say they are wrong for taking opportunities as they come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter