My 13yr old doesn't want to go now???

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakingd_awn

DIS Veteran
My 13yr old DD decided she doesn't want to go with us....she's rather stay with her BF for a week. She said making up all the work is a pain and it's not worth it. She did have alot of work to catch up on last time. So idk....anyone else's teen not want to go?

Our daughter has not joined us the last 2 years. Our son has a blast and is always ready to go. She has all AP and honors classes and does not like having to make up all that work. When we were young I was always ready to miss school.:cool2:

My 13yr old DD decided she doesn't want to go with us....she's rather stay with her BF for a week. She said making up all the work is a pain and it's not worth it. She did have alot of work to catch up on last time. So idk....anyone else's teen not want to go?

I use to take my kids out all the time from school up including 8th grade.
They did well and it was never a problem with the school/teachers making up the work for a family vacation.
BUT, once my dd started HS, she asked me to please not take her out of school anymore adn I haven't. She is like the poster before me, all AP and Honors. She would have a tremendous amount of work to catch up on including all the lessons she would have to teach herself.

Now, for a 13 year old to stay home with her BF, I am assuming you mean best friend, not boy friend :scared1: LOL

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

That has happened to us twice! Last year my oldest (16 at the time) did not want to go on our RCL Med. cruise (he did not like the long flight at all)-so, after much discussion we allowed him to stay at my father-in-law's. Upside was we were able to book a suite since we were only five-so although we missed him-we still managed to have fun. He loved the special attention of being the only child for awhile back home. It worked out so well that our second son (now 16) has decided to skip our Dream cruise this Mardi Gras and go on a trip with his class-my oldest is coming with us this time though. Although it was hard to leave them behind-I couldn't see paying a ton of money to force them to come on a trip with us. Hope this helps...

Twinge of pain & anxiety just thinking about my DD telling me someday that she doesn't want to go. DD is 6, and we are getting ready to set sail on her 7th DCL. Yep, she is spoiled. In fact, we aren't even telling her this time, just surprising her. Our DD is an only, so this family vacation works perfect for us as she spends time with kids her own age. We are actually taking her out of school for a week (did it last year too). While she is only in 1st grade, the accelerated pace of her work, we have already made arrangements to get her work ahead of time to do on the ship.

Whatever decision you make for your family is the one that will work. I can respect a teen not wanting to fall behind in school work...that would make me very proud as a parent. If you have a responsible adult/family willing to take them in for the week, it may be the best experience for all.

My Mom just passed away in June, and my Dad is within his final days as well. My fondest memories that I have been recollecting are the family vacations...yes, the ones I didn't necessarily want to go on. These memories are something to carry me through the hard days. I remember not wanting to go camping in some of the National Parks out west...now these are memories I will cherish forever!

Good luck!

My parents forced me to go on vacation with them until I was 18 and I can tell you no good came of it. If they want to stay home make sure they understand what they are missing but let them decide. (just my opinion - but I wish my parents would have let me)

No, lol. My kids would rather walk on hot coals than miss a Disney cruise, the 16 year old included. She gave up a trip to Hawaii with her choir to go on the Mexican Riviera Disney cruise next March. She is also not happy with me that she isn't going with us next week or in January, but I can't have her miss school, I don't trust that she'll make up all the work (she has good intentions but doesn't always follow through).

I go a lot because of my career, and the kids are always up for coming! It would make me sad if they weren't into it anymore, for sure. I can't imagine not wanting to go on vacation!

Our daughter has not joined us the last 2 years. Our son has a blast and is always ready to go. She has all AP and honors classes and does not like having to make up all that work. When we were young I was always ready to miss school.:cool2:

Kids today....who can figure them out??:confused3

I use to take my kids out all the time from school up including 8th grade.
They did well and it was never a problem with the school/teachers making up the work for a family vacation.
BUT, once my dd started HS, she asked me to please not take her out of school anymore adn I haven't. She would have a tremendous amount of work to catch up on including all the lessons she would have to teach herself.

Now, for a 13 year old to stay home with her BF, I am assuming you mean best friend, not boy friend :scared1: LOL

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I probably should have clarified:lmao: That would be BEST FRIEND , and I've already talked to her parents and they said it would be fine. Maddie is a straight A student and is already taking sophmore Eng, Math classes. Those classes have alot of homework. So I understand her not wanting to miss school. My second grader only had 7 papers to do last time, easy.

Ahhhhhhhh, the first sign of maturity!! :goodvibes I'd let her stay behind, and bring her back a special souvineer for being so consciencious.

We used to take our kids out of school for our cruises. A few years ago, they asked that we not do it anymore as it was hard to make up all of the work.

We no longer put them in that position as we understand how hard it is. Instead, we spend a little more and go during times where they are out of school such as the last week of May/first week of June or toward the end of August. Our boys love cruising and would be heartbroken if we did a family cruise and they felt they couldn't go because of schoolwork. I know this may sound harsh, but perhaps you should reconsider when you book cruises in the future as you appear to have a very responsible teen.

If a child wants to miss a family vacation because of more selfish reasons such as spending time with friends, I would have a completely different conversation with them. Fortunately, our kids still enjoy our trips together and look forward to them even though the oldest two are in their teens.

We ended up canceling our WDW part of our trip because my oldest couldn't take that much time off. We also scheduled the cruise duing the only week that both boys have time off of school/activities for the entire schoool year.
For me, it is more important to have a family vacation. So I don't pick times that they would fall behind in school or miss important stuff.

I wish we could go in the summer but it's ALOT more expensive, and honestly we couldn't afford to do it then. My DH is in concrete and taking a vacay in summer ,he just wont do. That's the busiest time and hes the forman. Homework isn't the only reason she said she just flat out didn't like it. On our last cruise my two oldest just complained the whole time. They said they were glad for the experience but wouldn't do it again.The rest of us had a GREAT time. Guess it's the age, plus for a parent of younger ones it's also about seeing the wonder and excitement in their eyes that makes it more fun for me:) My teenage DD's eyes were more like rolling:lmao:

we always arranged our vacations during times when school was out. then no excuses! Also was hesitant about leaving teens with someone else - even if a family member ie. grandma etc. My husband is in construction, so summers were out. We had vacations then during Easter. I know - more expensive, more people, but that was the alternative and we stood by it until they were out of school. never regretted it and neither did the kids. They have always said those were the best times as family! Quite a compliment I thought.

Once my kids reach high school, they make the decision whether or not they can miss the school work and still keep the grades up.

That said, almost always they pick the cruise, even when it involves an extended absence or missing something special at school.

We don't do vacations near end of 9 weeks grading periods or at standardized testing or AP exam time.

No one likes to travel with a hostage:rotfl: Let her stay home and enjoy yourselves. Next year try to manage a different kind of vacay if you can. At least you are considering it. Some parents would put their foot down and say " you are coming on vacation, you will have fun, and you will smile for all the pictures!" :rotfl2: Oh, the teenage years...can't wait:scared1:

My daughter asked to stop missing more than one or two days of school for a vacation in 5th grade. While I hated it, I was very proud of her not wanting to fall behind. She is in 7th grade now and a straight A student. I could not imagine the issues if she missed for vacation now. She must be there for math to keep her A in advanced math. Be proud they realize they need to be there.

I also read she didn't want to go. I don't know if I would have booked another cruise if 2 of the kids complained on the the last cruise, but that's just me.

I agree with others also. I would (and have) now arrange your trips around the kids school schedules. It stinks but that is what you will need to do to have a family vacation.

I would not have scheduled a family trip at a time it conflicts with school.

Priorities. Good for your daughter for thinking ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter