MVMCP is it Worth it?

Matthew Caito

Mouseketeer
I am traveling in November to Disney with my wife, my 4 month old and my in-laws. My wife and I are huge Disney people, my in-laws are along for the ride and of course my infant is well... an infant. :) We have always wanted to do the MVMCP and not sure if it is worth it. I did some research and its hard to decipher what comes along with it. Is it just entrance to the park at night and experiencing the Christmas in Disney atmosphere? I know that rides are open and there is a parade but is there anything else included like the desert party? or items like that an extra cost?

What I recall is that there is free hot chocolate (and other drinks - apple cider?) and cookies. There are special fireworks and a unique parade - and also special merchandise to buy and special treats to purchase that aren't available in the parks outside the party times. I think there are special shows too and there are definitely some special characters out - like Jack (from Nightmare before Christmas) in his Santa suit. Seems like there is a discussion thread here on the MVMCP that could list all the unique things.

I personally love the parties and enjoy the very themed atmosphere. I'd do it for the special shows, fireworks, parade rather than any chance of shorter ride wait times though.

I think being a fan of Christmas and The Holidays is more important to feeling it is worth it rather than how big of a Disney fan you are.

If you're looking for value in food or freebies, no...you won't find the value.

My family went to MVMCP in December 2016 and I found it a complete waste of money looking back. I did enjoy getting to see the Christmas parade and the Holiday Wishes but those are not worth $100 pp to me.

I would like to do MNSSHP one day though, I've heard that one is better than the Christmas party.

We have done the Christmas Party and had a blast. Special snacks are included (depending on who the partners are will drive the snack variety - Dove chocolates, cookies, sparkling apple juice, soft pretzels, etc), parade, fireworks, character appearances, rides.

If you can make room in the budget than yes. Perhaps make it a date night with your wife and let the grandparents watch the baby. It is a late night so don't plan for an early AM rope drop.

IMO, the limiting factor for you is the infant. I did my first MVMCP with a baby and I felt like I wasn't able to get my money's worth because we weren't able to stay in the park late enough. We left after the first parade. I would suggest waiting until your child is old enough to last until closing or close to it. I will go again in the future, but probably not until I'm done with babies... which will be a while as I have a 3 yr old, 1 yr old, and just found out another is on the way!

Agree with the idea of this being a date night for you and your wife.

We did this once and weren’t impressed. We had a much better time and value at the Halloween party. That said, for us, it was still worth it for the experience.

No way is it worth it. Wal-Mart cookies and a parade you can see a week before Christmas in the Magic Kingdom in the afternoon.

No way is it worth it. Wal-Mart cookies and a parade you can see a week before Christmas in the Magic Kingdom in the afternoon.
Lol. I agree with this. Walmart cookies, watered down hot chocolate, and an xmas parade is basically what youre paying for. Waste of money. In terms of decor, you can see the parks in xmas decorations on any other day. The halloween party is much more fun....its especially fun to dress up and go trick or treating as an adult. You get so much candy! :teeth: And personally hallowishes if far more impressive than the xmas party fireworks.

With MVMCP, you're basically paying for the parade and a chance to see the park at Christmas outside of the normal operating hours. The parade does indeed run regularly right before Christmas outside of the party, though many people probably would rather avoid the massive crowds. I agree with many people that I think the MNSSHP feels like more of an event and party, while MVMCP feels more like a little extra holiday cheer.

We went in 2013 and absolutely LOVED it!! So much so that we bought tickets to go to 3 parties during our early December trip last year.

It was not the same as our 2013 trip. They let WAY more people in now (or more people are going) There are now long lines for the free treats. The lines went fairly quickly, but we didn't enjoy going from line to line to line for snacks. A couple snacks we never tried because the lines were insane. I'm saying this from one of our dates that was on a "recommended slow night"

We booked 3 parties so we could focus on the unique Christmas offerings (parade, fireworks, dance parties, etc) the first two nights and rides and meet and greets on the third party. The rides were no longer worth it and we had far better waits at MK in the day with refreshing fastpasses (sometimes without). We waited 45 minutes for Peter Pan, which wasn't bad, but took up so much party time (especially if you're only going to one party) Rides also broke down, especially Splash and BTMR. Walking around, getting anywhere was insane and packed, especially before and during the parades.

All that aside, we still enjoyed the parade, fireworks and just being in the Christmas atmosphere. They choose our daughters to dance and play with cast members while waiting on the curb for the parade. It was a magical moment to watch them while the music was playing on mainstreet, the projectors on the buildings going and the "snoap" falling.

There were Photopass people everywhere, even in front of Space. It's always a favorite of ours to ride People Mover and see all the magical decor.

With all that said, we won't be going to MVMCP on our next December trip because the crowds killed so much of the magic. We handle crowds fine, but to experience the park that packed (trying to walk without bumping into someone) was too much. We are "make the best of it people", and still enjoyed the parties as much as possible. Maybe we'll go again someday if the experiences change, but we've decided to put our money towards more dessert parties and other offerings. We absolutely loved the Wishes, Star Wars and Frozen parties. The monetary value for the food is nil, but was worth it for the experience (even a crowded Plaza garden viewing, because there's still some sort of cap on people allowed) We expected this going into MVMCP (money towards the experience), but it just fell short.

My advice for going in to the party is stay late!! The last 45 minutes were much better (expect for packed shops) A lot of shows run late! The edges of the park are much less crowded and was able to do a little SotMK late on the last night. Also, have someone save a spot for character meet and greets early. Lines are very long and you will get warnings that you may not be able to meet a character while joining the line if it's too close to closing (I'm talking 2hrs + before) Don't worry about the free snacks!! Their monetary value is incredibly low! It's worth it to pay a few bucks for the unique party only snacks. Focus on the party experiences over rides.

If you are super Christmas people, then go at least once to experience it. If you can only afford a single extra experience and average on Christmasy stuff, look at other Disney offerings. You could do a dessert party, Fireworks cruise, a signature dinner, Candlelight Processional, After hours or EMM, just to name a few. No matter what, you're at Disney. You're going to find something you enjoy :earsboy: Have fun!

Personally, I say yes its worth it! But I am a huge holiday fan and love extra experiences that you normally wouldn't get. I did the halloween party this fall and it was awesome! Now I have heard halloween is better but both have extra stuff including more character meets that you normally would get to see. Like for example halloween had stitch dressed as elvis! How cool is that?! Christmas also has characters like that as well.

I went for the first time last year. I’m glad I did it, the extra entertainment was fun to see and I definitely fall into the Christmas crazy category. But for me it was a once and done. It was just too crowded. It is definitely worth doing once though if you can fit it in.

I agree with the PP who suggested possibly doing MVMCP as a date night. I wouldn't do it with an infant and if the grandparents are just along for the ride, it's not worth it for them, IMHO. In addition to rides that will be open, the party offers some pretty cruddy snacks, some special shows, a parade and fireworks. If you are interested in the shows, parade and fireworks, go for it. However, IMHO, there are so many holiday activities available at the resorts and other parks (activities that are included with park admission), that we don't find MVMCP worth it. If you'd like to see Holiday Wishes, you can always go to an MK resort (Poly beach, GF marina or dock, etc.) too see them. Or make a date night ADR at Cali Grill and see them from there. We much prefer the holiday offerings at EP and enjoy touring the deluxe resorts (particularly WL and GF) to see the beautiful decorations.

We went last year with our adult daughter for the first time and loved it. It is very crowded, but we brought our patience and a plan. While many went on rides. it was our goal to see the shows and parades. We got good seats/standing areas early to make sure we could enjoy the shows.

No one can tell you if something is worth it to you. Do you love Christmas and Disney? If so, you'll probably enjoy it.

Last year we went to MVMCP and we were excited since it was supposed to be limited entry. We went to MK on a non-party night and the next day we went to MVMCP, and between the 2 it felt like the party was just as busy as a non-party night. We were a bit upset at this. I understand we went the weekend after thanksgiving so if we go next time we will choose a less busier party day.

We went for the first time last November and we really enjoyed it. The cookies and drinks are fine but not anything to write home about. We loved the party for the decor and lower wait times for rides. We did the second full week of parties on a Thursday. Weekend parties and of course parties closer to Christmas are more crowded. We arrived at MK at 4pm which is when party guests are allowed to enter MK. We used this time for rides and it worked great. If you are a character fan of those that appear during the party, photo opps are available which some people love. There’s also special magical enhancements for photos in certain locations. The parade and castle show is nice but we didn’t watch the whole thing since this is when most ride lines are a bit lower. Overall we loved it. I wouldn’t do it every year but I would definitely do it again.

Personally, I would say that it, if you are going to be at Disney around the holidays, then it should absolutely be done at least once. I'm not sure if I will do it again, but I'm glad I experienced it a few times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter