Muster drill help for kid with sensitive ears

Yea I’ll bring the ones we have with us. I know I used them for the fireworks last October and she was still bothered and kept her head buried in my shoulder and her hands pushed on her headphones but she made it through and was fine afterwards. At WDW we never stay for fireworks because of her ears but it had been awhile since we saw fireworks so I wanted to try again on the cruise and see if the headphones helped…it was a mom fail moment

Got to keep trying though, because someday it may not bother her. You can give up when they turn 16 :rotfl2:

Got to keep trying though, because someday it may not bother her. You can give up when they turn 16 :rotfl2:
That’s what I’m hoping. My mom said when she was a kid she had super sensitive ears but as she got older they got better. So I’m hoping that will happen for her too.

That’s what I’m hoping. My mom said when she was a kid she had super sensitive ears but as she got older they got better. So I’m hoping that will happen for her too.
My kiddo had super sensitive ears when he was little (probably up to age 9). It was challenging as he would go into flight mode and just run away from loud sounds (like almost into traffic once).

He is 11 now and much better. Fire drills still bother him but he can manage. We are doing are first cruise in 10 days, so this thread is a good reminder that I should probably prep him on what to expect with the horn and muster drill.

My older daughter has super sensitive ears, sounds are just loud to her. I'll have to remember to pack her noise blocking ear phones.

My son has very sensitive ears (his is Autism/sensory related) and is just now getting to where 90% of the time he can use just his hands to plug his ears. What I learned was that you really really have to pay attention to what dB rating those headphones are for. Almost all the Amazon cute kid ones were not nearly strong enough. I had to go buy ones rated for heavy equipment and gun range use. They didn’t even have a “kids” size, just adult XS. These are the only things that got him through alarms and fireworks.

That being said I do have the less sound proof version for when he’s in school or moving around. He was so mad that he couldn’t wear the “good” ones but eventually I got him to understand it was a safety issue.

My son has very sensitive ears (his is Autism/sensory related) and is just now getting to where 90% of the time he can use just his hands to plug his ears. What I learned was that you really really have to pay attention to what dB rating those headphones are for. Almost all the Amazon cute kid ones were not nearly strong enough. I had to go buy ones rated for heavy equipment and gun range use. They didn’t even have a “kids” size, just adult XS. These are the only things that got him through alarms and fireworks.

That being said I do have the less sound proof version for when he’s in school or moving around. He was so mad that he couldn’t wear the “good” ones but eventually I got him to understand it was a safety issue.
My son is the same! He actually wears his AirPods on noise cancellation mode pretty much all the time, even at home. He says it dulls the outside world enough for it not to hurt him. If we’re in a place with a lot of noise he turns on his favorite song on repeat to help drown out the other sounds.
I didn’t realize that having one adult go to the mister drill while the kids and the other adult stay in the room. That would be extremely helpful, as even a reduction in volume would be very much appreciated by both of my kids. My daughter hasn’t been diagnosed with autism, but she does have sensory issues and wears her AirPods all the time too. Do you know when we are allowed to leave the room afterwards? Do they announce the end of the muster drill in the rooms? Or do we just have to wait till my DH gets back from the muster station before we come out?

For my youngest I bought the headphones that people use for shooting ranges. However I recently saw on Amazon they have these great ear plugs made specifically for children and adults with hearing sensitivity, they are called Loop Engage. Either way I encourage you to try something as we used them for years and I even recently used them at a concert I took her to.

For my youngest I bought the headphones that people use for shooting ranges. However I recently saw on Amazon they have these great ear plugs made specifically for children and adults with hearing sensitivity, they are called Loop Engage. Either way I encourage you to try something as we used them for years and I even recently used them at a concert I took her to.
Loop earplugs are amazing, and I was about to recommend them for @ArtemisPhoenix
If noise cancellation is the goal, Loop Quiet block out almost all noise. I use Loop Experience, and I can still here presenters and conversations with friends, without hearing excess background noise.

Loop earplugs are amazing, and I was about to recommend them for @ArtemisPhoenix
If noise cancellation is the goal, Loop Quiet block out almost all noise. I use Loop Experience, and I can still here presenters and conversations with friends, without hearing excess background noise.
Thank you for the additional recommendation. I live in the downstairs of a duplex and am getting a new upstairs neighbor soon. I have really bad mysophobia surrounding specific noises and I've been so worried. Putting these in my cart right now.

Why didn’t they let you hold your 4 year old? My kid will likely be crying and need to be comforted so my plan was to hold her. I didn’t know that would be an issue
They told us everyone had to stand in line and that he couldn’t be held. They gave no other reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter