Multiple resorts on one trip

I hate a split stay bc my least favorite part of vacation is packing and unpacking. With a split stay you have an extra set of that. We did a split stay once and never again.
I totally get this and respect that. :)
I did a split stay with my cousin and her twin toddlers once. That is definitely a situation where I would consider re-thinking my decision to do a split stay. The biggest reason for doing the split stay that trip was because we had a double stroller with and I really did not want to deal with bringing that on the bus any more than absolutely necessary. I still think having to deal with the double stroller on the buses was the greater of the two evils (having to pack up with toddlers vs. having to take the double stroller on the bus), but not by much. LOL!!!

Although I don't like re-packing- and feeling a bit homeless on change day- I really like split stays on longer trips. Four to five nights at each resort feels worth it. We really like many of the resorts and so visiting two on each trip works for us.

Have you stayed at multiple resorts during a trip? Is it difficult to move from one resort to another after 2 to 3 days.

A few days at a MK resort
A few days at an Epcot resort
A few days at AK or Disney Springs

It seems that many people have multiple contracts, so I was wondering if you book at each of them on a single trip
If we're doing a "long" trip, we own at multiple resorts pretty much for this very reason -- we like to stay near the parks that we intend to visit to minimize transportation back and forth. We also enjoy a lot of the different resorts, so enjoy doing split stays. It's very easy to do so, as Disney will move your luggage from one resort to the other. They'll pick it up in your room. It's so super simple!

That being said, as we get older, we prefer a little more time in each resort before moving (we used to do 2-3 nights, then switch). While we often do the first night in one resort/room and then move on Day 2 (as we tend to fly in late, and so if we're staying in larger rooms that cost more points, I often book a studio for the first 1-2 nights to save some points), we prefer to stay 3-4 nights before switching hotels. This is because there IS some time spent packing up and then waiting for luggage services, and you do have that 5-hour window where you have no room to retreat to if you wanted it. We rather enjoy "settling in" these days. In the past, we might jump between 3-4 hotels, now we often do 2, maybe 3. Exceptions are of course when we can't get rooms for the entire length of stay. :)

Though I think one of the biggest factors in not wanting to switch as frequently is because Disney will no longer move food items that require refrigeration. We actually make use of our kitchens (we tend to stay in 1/2/3 BRs), and it's more of pain and slightly more costly to only plan for 2 days of groceries then need to get groceries again. I think if Disney still moved refrigerated items, we might do short split stays.

Of course, we only did one long stay (11 days) this past year, and we split between Riviera and Boulder Ridge. Most of our trips have been shorter (4-5 days), though we did do a split stay of 2 nights CCV Cabin, 2 nights CCV Grand Villa, and 3 nights AKV Grand Villa around Labor Day weekend this past year, too, and it was really easy to switch between rooms.

W
If we're doing a "long" trip, we own at multiple resorts pretty much for this very reason -- we like to stay near the parks that we intend to visit to minimize transportation back and forth. We also enjoy a lot of the different resorts, so enjoy doing split stays. It's very easy to do so, as Disney will move your luggage from one resort to the other. They'll pick it up in your room. It's so super simple!

That being said, as we get older, we prefer a little more time in each resort before moving (we used to do 2-3 nights, then switch). While we often do the first night in one resort/room and then move on Day 2 (as we tend to fly in late, and so if we're staying in larger rooms that cost more points, I often book a studio for the first 1-2 nights to save some points), we prefer to stay 3-4 nights before switching hotels. This is because there IS some time spent packing up and then waiting for luggage services, and you do have that 5-hour window where you have no room to retreat to if you wanted it. We rather enjoy "settling in" these days. In the past, we might jump between 3-4 hotels, now we often do 2, maybe 3. Exceptions are of course when we can't get rooms for the entire length of stay. :)

Though I think one of the biggest factors in not wanting to switch as frequently is because Disney will no longer move food items that require refrigeration. We actually make use of our kitchens (we tend to stay in 1/2/3 BRs), and it's more of pain and slightly more costly to only plan for 2 days of groceries then need to get groceries again. I think if Disney still moved refrigerated items, we might do short split stays.

Of course, we only did one long stay (11 days) this past year, and we split between Riviera and Boulder Ridge. Most of our trips have been shorter (4-5 days), though we did do a split stay of 2 nights CCV Cabin, 2 nights CCV Grand Villa, and 3 nights AKV Grand Villa around Labor Day weekend this past year, too, and it was really easy to switch between rooms.
Which of those three “fancy” rooms did you like the best?!

I asked this in another thread.

Is there a significant difference in getting to Epcot from the Grand Floridian in comparison to the Riviera?

I am considering how to allocate my dollars in purchasing with a goal of having locations at each park and was considering Cooper Creek and the Riviera but was wondering if the Grand Floridian would serve as a location to serve both parks instead.

I have some concerns about the Riviera because of the restrictions and I am not sure it fits the Disney feel I like that most of the resorts provide. Many of the resorts are like a fantasy environment and some are more like a gorgeous hotel.

Is there a significant difference in getting to Epcot from the Grand Floridian in comparison to the Riviera?

I am considering how to allocate my dollars in purchasing with a goal of having locations at each park and was considering Cooper Creek and the Riviera but was wondering if the Grand Floridian would serve as a location to serve both parks instead.

I have some concerns about the Riviera because of the restrictions and I am not sure it fits the Disney feel I like that most of the resorts provide. Many of the resorts are like a fantasy environment and some are more like a gorgeous hotel.

Riviera is a skyliner ride away from Epcot. VGF is a double monorail or bus ride away, so they aren't even comparable. Those are the two best resorts on property, IMO. Buy at each, then you can get to every park except AK easily! Kidding, not really, but if you don't like the vibe of RIviera after staying there, don't buy.

W

Which of those three “fancy” rooms did you like the best?!
CCV Cabins, hands down. I want to live there, not just stay there, lol. But they are SO MANY POINTS for just 2 bedrooms.

I just loved the layout and the decor. The two-side fireplace that could be enjoyed in the living room, or out on the screened porch with rocking chairs was fantastic. We also loved having the screened porch with picnic table to eat at, loved that we could pipe in the music from the parks and fireworks, and of course, the heated jacuzzi tub out on the porch was the icing on the cake.

That said, the Cabins only have 2 bedrooms, and the second bedroom is a queen with a pull down bed. It works for our family, as none of us are particularly tall, and at least at present, our 18 year old doesn't mind having the pull down beds at all. We had our nephew and his girlfriend with us one night, and they stayed in the living room. You can definitely fit larger groups, and we are admittedly getting SPOILED by being DVC owners -- our travel before was often 1 BRs with our two boys in the living room, and we started doing 2BRs after becoming DVC owners, and now we really like having the extra space. I'm a morning person, and my DH, sons, and nephew are NOT, so I hated feeling like I was disturbing the living room sleepers getting up to make coffee in the morning. :)

When staying with larger groups. however, the Grand Villas are significantly better in that regard.

The CCV Grand Villa has a crazy amount of space! If you're traveling with friends or a family group, the third bedroom is actually in its own area - it's down a hallway off the dining room area, and the bathroom is ensuite, so you can shut the door and have some privacy. It was perfect, as we were traveling with our friends and our godson, so they were able to have their own space and area. The second bedroom is off the hallway leading to the master bedroom, and on the opposite side of the villa from the third bedroom, so our family was also in our space/area.

The AKV Grand Villa - we've only stayed in Jambo House, but want to try Kidani - also has a large amount of space, but the second and third bedroom are off one hallway from each other (the third bedroom is ensuite, so again can have more privacy; the second bedroom has a bathroom across the hall. There's also a fourth bathroom off the grand foyer entrance to the villa). The balcony is huge and animal viewing can't be beat. It also has a pool table room. Admittedly, my SIL and her family loved the pool table, and our friends enjoyed playing pool too, so that was a win overall, but it feels a bit like wasted space, and we almost wish it had a media room like VGF that could be made into a fourth bedroom. That said, when we stayed there with my SIL & family, we DID turn the pool room into a makeshift bedroom. They brought adjustable curtain roads and curtains, so that we could make makeshift "doors" on the entrances into the room, and then an air mattress for my eldest nephew and his girlfriend to sleep on. The only downside is you do have to go THROUGH the pool table room to get to the master bedroom.

We've also stayed in a Theme Park View Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower, though only for 1 night. First, the theming is NOT my style. It was nice, just I like Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge theming over the futuristic modern of BLT. That said, the villa was fantastic in terms of space and layout -- It is two floors, with bedrooms 2 and 3 on the second floor AND having its own entrance on that second floor (so you can take the elevator one level up and get into the rooms, rather than enter through the main door and walk up the stairs). There's also a little living room area on that second floor, with a queen pull-out sofa bed, so our nephew and his girlfriend slept there, and thus weren't disturbed by folks up and about in the kitchen early in the morning. The living room was open to the second floor, which mean two levels floor to ceiling windows to look out over the Magic Kingdom -- the view to watch the fireworks just could not be beat. Being able to walk to/from the Magic Kingdom can't be beat, either. I'd definitely stay there again, even though the theming isn't my jam.

If you can't afford the point costs of the Grand Villas, I do highly recommend the Treehouse Villas at SSR. The biggest downside is that if you don't have a car, they are a pain (and take a long time) to get to/from. But it's a great amount of space for the point cost, and has three bedrooms -- bedroom two is only a single queen, and bedroom three is a set of bunkbeds, however. This was the first "large villa" we stayed in (again with my SIL & family as well as my BIL). and we would definitely do so again (we bought SSR points partly for SAP and partly to get priority for THVs over the holidays).

We eventually want to stay in all the Grand Villas! Though technically not a GV, our next splurge is the Polynesian Bungalows in May over my birthday / Mother's Day for 3 nights. We'll see how it compares to the CCV Cabins, though I'm to understand the plunge pool there isn't heated.

After that, well, our current plan is to do the CCV Cabin again over Thanksgiving 2023. Perhaps in 2024 we'll try a different Grand Villa (still have VGF, BWV, RIV, SSR, and AKV-Kidani to go -- plus HHI, AUL, and VBR. I really want to try the VBR cottages!). The tentative plan for Thanksgiving 2025 is AKV-Kidani, as we will likely be there with my SIL and family again.

Polynesian is our go-to for hitting both MK and Epcot, as it's a single monorail to either (you can very easily walk over to T&TC to get the Epcot monorail), but admittedly at present there are only studios or points-hungry Bungalows there. VGF is either a long walk or two monorails to Epcot, and so to us would not make the ideal MK resort. Also, we like the CCV theming better, the CCV points charts are significantly cheaper than VGF, we love the boat ride to the MK, and CCV is so much less crowded than VGF. For us, CCV/BRV were the clear winners for a MK resort.

While we would have preferred BCV or BWV for Epcot, we bought RIV for the cheaper cost and longer expiration date. It's also on the skyliner to both Epcot and HS, which after staying there we found we loved as a transportation method. Also, while the pool is lackluster at RIV, the rooms are spacious and nice, and the resort is small, not very crowded, and easy to navigate. We got enough points to be able to do short stays there for the various Epcot Festivals.

Riviera is a skyliner ride away from Epcot. VGF is a double monorail or bus ride away, so they aren't even comparable. Those are the two best resorts on property, IMO. Buy at each, then you can get to every park except AK easily! Kidding, not really, but if you don't like the vibe of RIviera after staying there, don't buy.
Have you been to the Riviera? Is it more gorgeous hotel or fantasy resort?

Polynesian is our go-to for hitting both MK and Epcot, as it's a single monorail to either (you can very easily walk over to T&TC to get the Epcot monorail), but admittedly at present there are only studios or points-hungry Bungalows there. VGF is either a long walk or two monorails to Epcot, and so to us would not make the ideal MK resort. Also, we like the CCV theming better, the CCV points charts are significantly cheaper than VGF, we love the boat ride to the MK, and CCV is so much less crowded than VGF. For us, CCV/BRV were the clear winners for a MK resort.

While we would have preferred BCV or BWV for Epcot, we bought RIV for the cheaper cost and longer expiration date. It's also on the skyliner to both Epcot and HS, which after staying there we found we loved as a transportation method. Also, while the pool is lackluster at RIV, the rooms are spacious and nice, and the resort is small, not very crowded, and easy to navigate. We got enough points to be able to do short stays there for the various Epcot Festivals.
This was my original thought. CCV and RIV.

Have you been to the Riviera? Is it more gorgeous hotel or fantasy resort?
We spent one night at RIV in a 1BR with a great view of Epcot fireworks (prepandemic). To me it's more a gorgeous hotel, but we didn't use the pools or other facilities.

We do it occasionally but we drive, so it’s easy for us. We are this next trip because I, by luck of right place at the right time, got 3 nights club level at Jambo. We had 11 nights at poly but boy that opportunity doesn’t ever happen so we are doing 8/3. We don’t own there so I’m assuming it won’t happen again so I couldn’t pass it up.

CCV Cabins, hands down. I want to live there, not just stay there, lol. But they are SO MANY POINTS for just 2 bedrooms.

I just loved the layout and the decor. The two-side fireplace that could be enjoyed in the living room, or out on the screened porch with rocking chairs was fantastic. We also loved having the screened porch with picnic table to eat at, loved that we could pipe in the music from the parks and fireworks, and of course, the heated jacuzzi tub out on the porch was the icing on the cake.

That said, the Cabins only have 2 bedrooms, and the second bedroom is a queen with a pull down bed. It works for our family, as none of us are particularly tall, and at least at present, our 18 year old doesn't mind having the pull down beds at all. We had our nephew and his girlfriend with us one night, and they stayed in the living room. You can definitely fit larger groups, and we are admittedly getting SPOILED by being DVC owners -- our travel before was often 1 BRs with our two boys in the living room, and we started doing 2BRs after becoming DVC owners, and now we really like having the extra space. I'm a morning person, and my DH, sons, and nephew are NOT, so I hated feeling like I was disturbing the living room sleepers getting up to make coffee in the morning. :)

When staying with larger groups. however, the Grand Villas are significantly better in that regard.

The CCV Grand Villa has a crazy amount of space! If you're traveling with friends or a family group, the third bedroom is actually in its own area - it's down a hallway off the dining room area, and the bathroom is ensuite, so you can shut the door and have some privacy. It was perfect, as we were traveling with our friends and our godson, so they were able to have their own space and area. The second bedroom is off the hallway leading to the master bedroom, and on the opposite side of the villa from the third bedroom, so our family was also in our space/area.

The AKV Grand Villa - we've only stayed in Jambo House, but want to try Kidani - also has a large amount of space, but the second and third bedroom are off one hallway from each other (the third bedroom is ensuite, so again can have more privacy; the second bedroom has a bathroom across the hall. There's also a fourth bathroom off the grand foyer entrance to the villa). The balcony is huge and animal viewing can't be beat. It also has a pool table room. Admittedly, my SIL and her family loved the pool table, and our friends enjoyed playing pool too, so that was a win overall, but it feels a bit like wasted space, and we almost wish it had a media room like VGF that could be made into a fourth bedroom. That said, when we stayed there with my SIL & family, we DID turn the pool room into a makeshift bedroom. They brought adjustable curtain roads and curtains, so that we could make makeshift "doors" on the entrances into the room, and then an air mattress for my eldest nephew and his girlfriend to sleep on. The only downside is you do have to go THROUGH the pool table room to get to the master bedroom.

We've also stayed in a Theme Park View Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower, though only for 1 night. First, the theming is NOT my style. It was nice, just I like Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge theming over the futuristic modern of BLT. That said, the villa was fantastic in terms of space and layout -- It is two floors, with bedrooms 2 and 3 on the second floor AND having its own entrance on that second floor (so you can take the elevator one level up and get into the rooms, rather than enter through the main door and walk up the stairs). There's also a little living room area on that second floor, with a queen pull-out sofa bed, so our nephew and his girlfriend slept there, and thus weren't disturbed by folks up and about in the kitchen early in the morning. The living room was open to the second floor, which mean two levels floor to ceiling windows to look out over the Magic Kingdom -- the view to watch the fireworks just could not be beat. Being able to walk to/from the Magic Kingdom can't be beat, either. I'd definitely stay there again, even though the theming isn't my jam.

If you can't afford the point costs of the Grand Villas, I do highly recommend the Treehouse Villas at SSR. The biggest downside is that if you don't have a car, they are a pain (and take a long time) to get to/from. But it's a great amount of space for the point cost, and has three bedrooms -- bedroom two is only a single queen, and bedroom three is a set of bunkbeds, however. This was the first "large villa" we stayed in (again with my SIL & family as well as my BIL). and we would definitely do so again (we bought SSR points partly for SAP and partly to get priority for THVs over the holidays).

We eventually want to stay in all the Grand Villas! Though technically not a GV, our next splurge is the Polynesian Bungalows in May over my birthday / Mother's Day for 3 nights. We'll see how it compares to the CCV Cabins, though I'm to understand the plunge pool there isn't heated.

After that, well, our current plan is to do the CCV Cabin again over Thanksgiving 2023. Perhaps in 2024 we'll try a different Grand Villa (still have VGF, BWV, RIV, SSR, and AKV-Kidani to go -- plus HHI, AUL, and VBR. I really want to try the VBR cottages!). The tentative plan for Thanksgiving 2025 is AKV-Kidani, as we will likely be there with my SIL and family again.
So interesting to hear your experiences with all of these!! Thanks so much for the rundown! Sounds like you have taken some really awesome trips :) You’ve definitely inspired me to keep working on adding more points haha.

We own at AKL and loved o start our trips there, but then we almost always switch. Favs are either BLT or BC. We aren't fans of BW or Poly. We love split stays. Typically we try to get to our second resort as early as possible to check out the room, because a couple of times there's been issues and we found out late at night after a park visit- not fun to deal with when you and your kids are tired :(

We own at AKL and loved o start our trips there, but then we almost always switch. Favs are either BLT or BC. We aren't fans of BW or Poly. We love split stays. Typically we try to get to our second resort as early as possible to check out the room, because a couple of times there's been issues and we found out late at night after a park visit- not fun to deal with when you and your kids are tired :(
Makes sense to check out the room before it is late in the day

I think a split stay works also. 3 days at one resort and 4 days at another.
I picture an itinerary of booking AK and CCV for a week one year and Riv and Saratoga the next. I think I could do it with a total of 250 points total between the 4 resorts. Unless I made a calculation error banking or borrowing gets me a 1 bedroom for a week.
The third year book either Hilton Head or Vero Beach.

It has taken me 45 minutes to go from VGF to Epcot It takes about 10 minutes from RIV. It is a big difference.

We split stay each trip between the two so we do MK and AK from VGF and then Epcot and HS from RIv..assuming we are doing all the parks.

RIV is our top resort for sure.

Have you stayed at multiple resorts during a trip? Is it difficult to move from one resort to another after 2 to 3 days.

It seems that many people have multiple contracts, so I was wondering if you book at each of them on a single trip
Hi Tom! This post has a lot of info about split stays that might be beneficial to you.
https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/blog/dvc-split-stays

I am not a big fan of split stays but will do it for our longer summer trips (14-16 days). Rules for us are typically no more than 2 resorts and a minimum of 5 nights in each resort. This summer we are splitting 7 and 9 between Riviera Tower Studio (we got lucky at 7 months when they must have added a room to the inventory) and a 1 BR at Copper Creek.

I am not a big fan of split stays but will do it for our longer summer trips (14-16 days). Rules for us are typically no more than 2 resorts and a minimum of 5 nights in each resort. This summer we are splitting 7 and 9 between Riviera Tower Studio (we got lucky at 7 months when they must have added a room to the inventory) and a 1 BR at Copper Creek.
I hope the CCV 1BR is after the Tower Studio!

This brings up another point about split stays: avoid 'downgrading' your room any time you move. If you strongly prefer XYZ over ABC, make sure to do ABC then XYZ. Otherwise there's a little bit of "ugh, we should have stayed in the prior room" lingering over the split stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter