Moving To Orlando

I have applied at City Hall as a candidate for an Orlando City Board and am hopeful that the mayor will appoint me. I could get back the guest relations aspect that I still regret losing at Disney because it would allow me to make decisions regarding the tourist trade in Orange County. Maybe my application to the tourist bureau will be approved too as I gave that a try this morning. Wish me luck. While my heart does still ache for Disney, I know that there is more to Orlando than the theme parks and will appreciate the opportunity to educate tourists about the other great attractions here that I have learned about during my time off.
Best of luck on your new opportunities! :thumbsup2

<<I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and.>
Yes, its probablt Buena Vista Place apts. Income restricted and right behind the MK.

For those who are interested:

I was in Orlando last weekend and found a great place in Altamonte Springs. er.

have not looked at Altamonte Springs - was it price alone - or did you find what you wanted there?

have looked at Davenport, Minneola, Clermont, Winter Park, Ocoee, Kissimmee, Orlando, and a few other places that I don't remember

right now looking at Lake wales.

know from where I live now - Birmingham, Al - that the crime rate is only bad in certain neighborhoods - where I live sometimes things get stolen - but that is the worst.

<<I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and.>
Yes, its probablt Buena Vista Place apts. Income restricted and right behind the MK.

does income restricted mean you have to make a certain amount to live there?

does income restricted mean you have to make a certain amount to live there?

Yes. Usually you have to make BELOW a certain income. In my personal experience DON'T go to these places. The one I moved into without knowing was in Washington and I heard domestic violence in my neighbor's apartment, people got things stolen, and the cops hit a guy with their car as he ran away right in front of my apartment. Yes. Crazy I know.

As for your question about my place in Altamonte Springs- the price was a little higher than I wanted but the complex is great! Quiet, the staff is amazing and the area has lots of great places nearby. The complex is older but being renovated and it's bigger than my old place in Texas was. :)

Yes. Usually you have to make BELOW a certain income. In my personal experience DON'T go to these places. The one I moved into without knowing was in Washington and I heard domestic violence in my neighbor's apartment, people got things stolen, and the cops hit a guy with their car as he ran away right in front of my apartment. Yes. Crazy I know.

As for your question about my place in Altamonte Springs- the price was a little higher than I wanted but the complex is great! Quiet, the staff is amazing and the area has lots of great places nearby. The complex is older but being renovated and it's bigger than my old place in Texas was. :)

I live in an income restricted place right now but gave my 30-day notice to move because the lease expires next month. This is my first experience with rent which requires my income to be below a certain level so I have no idea how typical this place is. What I do know is that I have had numerous leaks here, including two that meant sticking the trash can on top of the toilet to catch liquid coming down from the ceiling. At one point the leak was bad enough that I had to use an umbrella in order to use the toilet without getting wet by whatever that was which was coming from above. Building management knew about this and saw no reason why such living conditions should prevent them from collecting payment in full when the rent was due. Yet any tenant suffering any kind of hardship, such as a cut back in hours at work or an illness that prevented work is facing eviction fast while still owing money for having broken the lease.

You might be better off in a homeless shelter until you can save up for a better place if your only alternative is signing a lease in income restricted housing. I am truly that fearful of signing another lease with this place, which would charge me $1500 if I could not last another year here, even if it was not my choice to leave. This has happened to other tenants here.

thanks - have not consider Altamonte Springs now it is on the list.

some of their houses are very reasonable

now not sure about Minneola - it seems that the crime rate there has gone up - confused though Minneola had it own police - but everything that was file was with the county sheriff????

Congrats on the move. I am hoping to be there June 1st!!! Looking at the Little Lake Bryan area.

My plan is to move to FL by the end of summer! As of now everything is on track :) I have always said we would move when my oldest graduates HS - so now is the time.

I can't stand our MN winters & I've always wanted to move since I've been in HS. Its going to be a new start for us & I can't wait! I'm in the process of selling our current house & I'm going to do an apartment in FL...:) Any suggestions would be great!

My plan is to move to FL by the end of summer! As of now everything is on track :) I have always said we would move when my oldest graduates HS - so now is the time.

I can't stand our MN winters & I've always wanted to move since I've been in HS. Its going to be a new start for us & I can't wait! I'm in the process of selling our current house & I'm going to do an apartment in FL...:) Any suggestions would be great!

Congrats!! Good for you for finally making your dream happen :) I used only apartment websites, then checking apartmentratings.com and another website that shows recent criminal activity. Take into account the ratings will always have one or two bad ones but as long as the issues aren't serious, I didn't mind them. It's a lot of work but I found a place I loved. I'd also say if you could afford it, take a trip down just for apartment hunting( which can be tough knowing WDW is so close!). Get an idea of where things are and when you pick one, what the area is like.
From my search, it was hard to find cheaper ( less than 1000) apartments near WDW that weren't ghetto or income restricted. Of course, I knew I couldn't afford the downtown living either. I decided to live in Altamonte Springs because it's a little quieter and I fell in love with my complex. It's about 40 minutes to WDW without bad traffic, which sometimes drives me nuts, but I've told myself that once I finish school and make more $$ I'll look at moving closer :)
Hope that helps, if you need more info, don't hesitate to message me! Good luck!!

I am going to Orlando for the day tomorrow for an interview :) I'm actually doing a transfer with my current job! I'm so nervous/excited that its getting close. I really need to start getting everything ready. We are currently in MN & wondering for those of you that have made the move how much did it cost for the actual move? Who did you hire? Any info would be great!

Thanks

I am going to Orlando for the day tomorrow for an interview :) I'm actually doing a transfer with my current job! I'm so nervous/excited that its getting close. I really need to start getting everything ready. We are currently in MN & wondering for those of you that have made the move how much did it cost for the actual move? Who did you hire? Any info would be great!

Thanks

We just got a 5 day 16ft truck rental from Penske (who will match prices) and drove it down. That was about $1100 after gas and everything from central Kentucky. About 12 hours of driving. It sucked. But it was dramatically cheaper than anything in the "have people move stuff for you" category.

I am excited to say we have only 34 Days before our family makes the big move! We are relocating to Winter Park, FL. We couldn't be more excited about our transition from Texas to Florida!!!

Thanks

We are using a large POD to move our items. Cost is less than $2,000. We also purchased groupons for movers here to load our items and a groupon for Orlando for movers to unload.

For those moving with kids, I have to say we have been most impressed with elementary, middle and high schools in Seminole County, Oviedo area to be specific.

I did a mid sized van with Budget. One way it was 550 I think. Not the best on gas but...

Update- Got one job going, and just now, on my 2 month anniversary of moving here became the owner of a FL Resident AP :) Can't wait to go tomorrow on my day off to pick up the pass and spend ALL DAY in the parks. Here's hoping I don't bawl when I get inside.

To the Texan moving to Winter Park- I don't live far from there and what I've seen and heard, it's a REALLY great neighborhood. Good choice and good luck!

Its OFFICIAL!!! I went for my transfer interview & got the call today!! WE'RE MOVING TO FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool1: I am soooooooo excited! My boys are sooooooo excited!

I'll be listing our house here in MN & look at apartments in the Orlando area. I need to find a good middle school near the airport & go from there. My oldest son will be attending a local community college in the fall. So much to do! Any school/apartment info would be great!!!!!!

We're moving from NC to Orlando in a few weeks. If you need to be by the airport, I suggest looking in the Lake Nona area. They're opening a complex called the Watermark (supposedly June 1 will be the first move-in date). We bought a house in the area because the schools are so technologically advanced( I'm a teacher, and my dh is a doc). Valencia college has a small hub there, but your son won't be far from Osceola or the East campus in this area. The Airport is about 10 minutes away, but you won't hear the noise because it's on the east side of the N/S runway system.

We moved to Ocoee... 12 miles from Disney... one town away from Orlando and very near Winter Garden. I moved as a single parent with a 10 year old son so a good school and safety were my biggest concerns! We lived in an awesome gated apartment community called Key Isle. It was on the edge of Ocoee and Windermere. Great schools, loved the proximity to WDW... but alas... I met my Prince Charming :groom: at a Disney gathering and moved to St. Petersburg. The beaches:beach: were calling my name and now WDW is only an hour and a half away. We are DVC members which helps with our addiction!!

It was the best move we could have ever made!:thumbsup2

We moved from Maryland to Florida!!!

In July, my husband and I made the big jump. We found new jobs down here, and got an apartment with a short lease until we can get a house, and we did it!

Granted we're a little farther out than we would like, but we're looking at houses closer to WDW. It still seems a little surreal to think, "We live in Florida now," but it's nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter