Moving costs from Boston to Pittsburgh--$12,000!!

Yes having a high walk score is also correlated with high property values as well. All the real estate agents here list the walk and transit scores on high ranking properties. Almost more important than the schools.
Not much of that here Most folks drive everywhere, so walking and transit aren't factors. And schools are open enrollment, so where you live has no impact on housing values either since nobody goes to their "assigned" school.

We went the rental truck route to move my inlaws to KY from NE Ohio-just over 300 miles 1 way. The original plan was for me to rent the truck in KY, drive it to Ohio, load it, and drive it back-all within 24 hours. Once we started pricing it out with fuel costs, we did a 1 way rental in a car, dropped the car in Ohio, rented the truck at Home Depot, then drove it back.

For loading, we had the family blitz the loading, family, friends, whoever would help in Ohio. All in all it took 3-4 hours to get it all in. Our son worked magic coming back-I was exhausted but we needed everything unloaded back in KY. I pulled into the complex my in laws were moving into and waiting were close to 20 kids from his church youth group. They unloaded it all, they rebuilt the beds, set furniture. It took less than 2 hours to go from truck to everything unpacked like nothing had happened. While they were unloading, I had 10 pizzas/wings/etc delivered. It was amazing.

Total cost-1 day and just under $900 including food for a 28' rental. We had quotes of closer to $8,000 for movers and the POD route was running closer to $5,000.

Might be worth pricing out hiring movers from PA to come to Boston and pick up, rather than hiring movers in MA. We moved from a high COL area to a slightly less high COL area (about a 4 hour drive, so that makes a difference) and it was about half the price when we hired movers from the destination city. May be different, due to the distance, but they were charging us travel time in either case, so whichever crew we used was going to have to do the drive both ways.

We moved from California to Southeast 3 years ago. Cost was a little over $20,000. And we lived in a 1500 square foot home, so not a lot of stuff. We did use pods because we needed to get house ready for market. That cost another $5,000.

My DD is moving from a 1000 sq. ft. apartment to a home that is less than 5 miles away. One bedroom is completely packed up and she will be packing up additional items. We contacted 5 companies for quotes. One company was unavailable because they were already booked. Two companies never even responded. The two companies that got back to us gave us quotes of $2000 and that did not include any packing. I am not surprised that you are getting quotes that high.

When we moved, we paid for professional movers to load a rental truck (we will NEVER use UHaul again--long, 25+ year-old story, but enough to raise my blood pressure even to this day). We drove the rental truck to our new place, and then paid for professional movers to move it into the new house.

It's been several years, but both my parents (during their move from WA to FL) and my DH and I (on our move from AZ to CO) were very happy with ABF Freight's UPack service. They drop off a truck, you fill it, they pick it up and drive it, drop it off at the new address, you unpack it, and they pick up the empty truck. They also offer a Pod service, but we needed more space. They charged by feet on the truck and distance, not by weight. We also used them to move some stuff between my parent's house in FL and ours in CO.

It's been several years, but both my parents (during their move from WA to FL) and my DH and I (on our move from AZ to CO) were very happy with ABF Freight's UPack service. They drop off a truck, you fill it, they pick it up and drive it, drop it off at the new address, you unpack it, and they pick up the empty truck. They also offer a Pod service, but we needed more space. They charged by feet on the truck and distance, not by weight. We also used them to move some stuff between my parent's house in FL and ours in CO.

Do you recall about how long it took for your property to arrive at your new location? Were you worried about it not being climate controlled? This might be an option for us. We could always have family and friends oversee the loading of the truck from storage and meet it in our new destination.

Every time I've moved I've always sworn that I will never move myself again; next time I'll hire movers. Then when it's time to move again I get those quotes from the movers and just can't do it.

Moving is arduous work and driving those big trucks is not fun, but I guess that's why movers charge so much, haha. Anyway, i would NEVER pay to have my stuff boxed and to me that's the worst part of it.

It sounds like the OP is all set, but for anyone else reading along, we did our move from IL to FL via PODS in 2015 and it was awesome. We took roughly 3 bedroom's worth of stuff. We hired our own movers on each end for loading/unloading.

It cost around $500 for loading and packing supplies in IL, $2600 for transport to FL and storage until we arrived, and another $400 or so for unloading in FL. Everything arrived in good condition and the PODS people were super easy to work with and kept us posted on the location of our POD at all times.

It sounds like the OP is all set, but for anyone else reading along, we did our move from IL to FL via PODS in 2015 and it was awesome. We took roughly 3 bedroom's worth of stuff. We hired our own movers on each end for loading/unloading.

It cost around $500 for loading and packing supplies in IL, $2600 for transport to FL and storage until we arrived, and another $400 or so for unloading in FL. Everything arrived in good condition and the PODS people were super easy to work with and kept us posted on the location of our POD at all times.

How did you find people to load and unload everything? Will moving companies do that?

How did you find people to load and unload everything? Will moving companies do that?
They will. You can get moving companies to move things within your house if that is your need.
Also when my mother in law moved, my sister in law rented a u haul and they gave her names of men you could hire by the hour to load and unload. Of course my husband contended that they could hire a moving company for about the same amount but he was outvoted. It all worked out.

We paid around $8000-ish for Bekin movers to store and then move our 2000 sq foot household items from Seattle to Buffalo in 2015, but we did get a Prime card discount because my husband was working for Microsoft so I don't know what the "full" rate would have been. They did do an excellent job, nothing was broken and they made it painless. It does suck how expensive moving is. :(

We're moving from just outside of WDW to one hour north of Atlanta, a total of 500 miles. Quotes from several moving companies to load, move and unload our four bedroom home have not exceeded $5K.

They will. You can get moving companies to move things within your house if that is your need.
Also when my mother in law moved, my sister in law rented a u haul and they gave her names of men you could hire by the hour to load and unload. Of course my husband contended that they could hire a moving company for about the same amount but he was outvoted. It all worked out.

Thanks! That's good to know. I didn't realize they did that.

We used a pod service, hired movers on both ends to load and unload, and moved from Nashville to Detroit for under $1000 in 2003.

I am flabbergasted at $12k. Is this to pack, as well?

I am flabbergasted at $12k. Is this to pack, as well?

I too am curious if all of these costs being mentioned include packing and unpacking. These prices make moving our stuff across the entire continental US and then 1/3 of the way across the Pacific ocean to Hawaii look like a bargain! I guess seasonality has something to do with it? Higher prices in the summer?

I haven't moved in 36 years and I think the UHaul and the pizza and the beer cost me $75. But I do not corporate caps moving expenses for new employees at $1,500. So a $12,000 move would be devastating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter