Motion Sickness and ROTR?! **Potential Spoilers**

kwwdw

Earning My Ears
We have a person in our group who absolutely cannot do rides like Star Tours or FOP. Without spoiling it... what has been your experience with ROTR if you generally get motion sickness on the previously mentioned rides? Our person is talking about sitting it out if we get a BG, but I think they would really enjoy it. Thanks for any responses! (If there is already a thread for this, someone just point me in that direction and I can delete this post!)

I get pretty reliably motion sick. Not in a car or plane, and I am okay on a boat in clear conditions, but I don’t do well with motion in three dimensions. The part of ROTR that was difficult for me was the pod flight - not the drop but the visual is very similar to star tours. I have the ability to close my eyes and visualize a horizon to avoid the feeling, but someone who cannot do that might have a problem. I would also suggest someone who gets motion sick to watch the captain on the transporter and not the rear window where the “flying” is happening.

remember that outside of the drop the car is not actually physically moving much. So it’s just the visual, and those always make me sick. However, I was unsure about it.

I rode ROTR for the first time 2 days ago. I got sick. Sick enough that I will never go on it again. For reference, I'm extremely prone to motion sickness. Rise made me sick enough that I thought I was going to throw up (but didn't). I would compare the motion sickness factor to Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringott's, if you've done that (also a once-and-done for me). I would never even attempt FOP or Star Tours. Here's what killed me on Rise - there is some backward motion. My kryptonite. It's short, but repeated. There is also a drop, some flying and some screen-based visuals (also my kryptonite). The combination of factors did it for me. Another 30 seconds and I'd have puked for sure. I recovered within 20 minutes. Glad I went once to see what it's all about, but won't do it again. From my point of view, and I'm kind of a ride snob, it's a very cool ride, interesting from a technical perspective, has some great parts, but didn't rock my world. Probably because it's based on the "new" Star Wars (Rey, Kylo Ren, etc.) and not the "original" Star Wars (Luke, Leia, Han Solo) - and I'm old school. Even if I had not gotten sick, it wouldn't ruin my day if I wasn't able to get a boarding group. Note - my daughters ages 16 and 20 think it's the coolest ride of all time. Second note, they told me that Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway is similar, so I skipped Mickey & Minnie.

Generally, I do get motion sickness in the form of a wicked headache that translates into nausea.

Rode ROTR four times in August.. without an issue. Star Tours did make me sick. FOP did not.. because I controlled where my eyes went.. just because you are soaring down.. doesn’t mean you have to look down. Loved and enjoyed it 6 times.

Good luck! 🤞🤞🤞

I rode ROTR for the first time 2 days ago. I got sick. Sick enough that I will never go on it again. For reference, I'm extremely prone to motion sickness. Rise made me sick enough that I thought I was going to throw up (but didn't). I would compare the motion sickness factor to Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringott's, if you've done that (also a once-and-done for me). I would never even attempt FOP or Star Tours. Here's what killed me on Rise - there is some backward motion. My kryptonite. It's short, but repeated. There is also a drop, some flying and some screen-based visuals (also my kryptonite). The combination of factors did it for me. Another 30 seconds and I'd have puked for sure. I recovered within 20 minutes. Glad I went once to see what it's all about, but won't do it again. From my point of view, and I'm kind of a ride snob, it's a very cool ride, interesting from a technical perspective, has some great parts, but didn't rock my world. Probably because it's based on the "new" Star Wars (Rey, Kylo Ren, etc.) and not the "original" Star Wars (Luke, Leia, Han Solo) - and I'm old school. Even if I had not gotten sick, it wouldn't ruin my day if I wasn't able to get a boarding group. Note - my daughters ages 16 and 20 think it's the coolest ride of all time. Second note, they told me that Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway is similar, so I skipped Mickey & Minnie.
MMRR actually did make me puke, for the record. That herky-jerky motion and the cartoony visuals were it for me.

thankfully I am an experienced, contained puker.

Herky-jerky motion is a good way to describe that! (Herky-jerky backward-forward = Puke City)

Not quite like Everest. We ended up all going during our trip and the person who gets motion sick did fine outside of closing their eyes for one part near the end! For them the problem is more visual than actual motion. I didn’t find it to be too bad, but there are a few times the car jerks and I could see how that might get someone. It’s very quick, but it does happen!

Harry Potter messes me and most of my family up pretty bad. Last time we went on Harry Potter, I took ginger, used seabands and closed my eyes during some of the more nauseating parts and that seemed to help me. I would be interested to see how RotR compares to the nausea factor in a ride like Spiderman, transformers, simpsons. (Hope this is allowed, my last WDW visit was 20 years ago, and I will be going in the end of July to DHS). Those last 3 rides don't seem to bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter