More Closures

why would he like that quote..? huh... Yeah the pizza is good GCurling :o + I Am Not In Denial:cool:

I heard that the pizza place will be replaced by a McDonalds. Oh no....say it's not so. When you go to Disneyworld, you do not want to see McDonalds. Disney is putting $$$ ahead of keeping the magic intact. I hope this rumor is wrong.

King Triton

Pasta Piazza isn't being replaced by McDonalds... I think that's going in at the old "Refreshment Port" between Imagination and Canada (which is currently under heavy construction). I don't like the idea either, but it wouldn't have happened at all if people hadn't bought those *AWFUL* "french fries" that McDonald's sells at the in-park kiosks. There's also a McDonald's at DCA, appropriately named "Burger Invasion".

Sadly, there is a full-blown McDonald's in California Adventure - complete with the golden arches on the 'Burger Invasion' name sign and the same menu boards as in the restuarant down the street (only the prices are different).

Rumors are that its sales are far, far below expectations. But if this is due to the general attendance problem at DCA or the guest's reaction to a McDonalds with Disney pricing has yet to be determined.

Well, on Deb Wills' site, I read that El Pirata y el Perico closed in MK, as well as Mr. Kamal's Burger shop in AK and another bar place (the name escapes me), and the pianist at the Brown Derby's last day was yesterday. This is in addition to the Keelboats, Timekeeper, Pasta and Pizza in Epcot and Doug.

Has anyone else heard this? It seems like an awful lot of closures at once, especially going into the busy season. And on top of all of the reduced hours.....

I fear these closures are the pre-cursor of things to come. It is unfortunate that management has shut these items down. What level of tolerance does your average Disney-visitor (exclude us Disney nuts) have for waiting in hour long lines (exclude the onetime fast pass) because the park is still at capacity, but operating with less rides? I suspect that they will reconsider dropping several thousand dollars, in these economic conditions, to wait in these lines on their next vacation.

I hope I am wrong, and have heard that present attendance level seem to prove me incorrect. I guess management will continue to take away rides until the guests stop coming....

Is there anyone out there who can tell us if the numerous closings (temporary or permanant) this year are out of the ordinary? In other words, is this a unique thing or is it cyclical? Have there been other years in the past where turnover of attractions/restraunts/shops has been as high (or higher) than this year?
And if this year is unique, is it because Eisner is the devil or is it because these attractions/restraunts/shops are in need of refurbishment/replacement?
It seems to me that the Eisner haters are making lists of closures that resemble the lists of magic that Jeff H. was ridiculed for...

The closings are due to attendance and popularity. Disney does guest service measurements, and does think these things through. Pasta Piazza had a following, but the attendance was low. It did not pay to keep it open. Doug was not well attended of late, and a new show will be in place for the 100 years of magic. It is fashionable to bash the company in general, but the June early closings are for pre-plannedevents, including Grad Nights, E-ticket nights and other events. The Parks are well attended most of the time. There are periods where you can go through any attraction with NO wait. Hour waits are common at peak periods.

ContempoSMT - some clarifications

1) Yes the pizza is (or rather, was) good.

2) You stated that you doubted Pasta Piazza would ever close, it already has, and had by the time you posted.

3) The "denial" line was just a silly joke. One from the Jungle Cruise spiel, hence the Safari Steve reference.

Originally posted by EpcotMom
Doug was not well attended of late, and a new show will be in place for the 100 years of magic.

What would that be? The only things that have been announced for the celebration are the new parades (one of which is just a minor makeover, and two others have been long overdue), the BAH pin stand, the "trivia terminals", and the Walt Disney multimedia attraction, unless I missed something.
If I did, please let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!