Moonlight hate rant..

beffiegirl

Mouseketeer
So mad, but technically it's my fault(according to the rules). I've been stalking the dvc website for a room for moonlight magic. And yesterday one popped up, so I grabbed it. I worked a nightshift last night and got home at 4am, slept 4 hours to wake up at 8:30 am to log on and wait. Then I got 2700 in line. Waited and got in only for them to tell me my room was booked last minute, too bad!! The rule is your room has to be booked 48 hours before registration. I didn't know that!! UGH! Now I have to wait to see If I can get a spot on the next registration, which is a chance in hell. Hate Disney right now. But this is to warn people not to make the same mistake.

So mad, but technically it's my fault(according to the rules). I've been stalking the dvc website for a room for moonlight magic. And yesterday one popped up, so I grabbed it. I worked a nightshift last night and got home at 4am, slept 4 hours to wake up at 8:30 am to log on and wait. Then I got 2700 in line. Waited and got in only for them to tell me my room was booked last minute, too bad!! The rule is your room has to be booked 48 hours before registration. I didn't know that!! UGH! Now I have to wait to see If I can get a spot on the next registration, which is a chance in hell. Hate Disney right now. But this is to warn people not to make the same mistake.

Yep, the policy. I’m glad they are now showing it.

Last year I modified a cash reservation (booked months in advance) within 48 hrs and got shut out. My advice is, if you have a qualifying reservation - don’t touch anything!

I think that is why i was shut out of getting a 5th ticket. My Poly reservation has 5 guests, but I updated it this weekend. But maybe it was Monday which would put me within 48 hours.

So I only got 4.

I didn’t know about this either. That is actually really annoying.

I didn't know about the 48-hour rule. Thanks for sharing it ... and I wish you the very best on snagging tickets in the next registration round.

I didn't know about the 48-hour rule. Thanks for sharing it ... and I wish you the very best on snagging tickets in the next registration round.
Good to know about, hadn't heard of that either. Really doen't matter as we book 11 months ahead and they usually haven't released dates by that time.

I'm sorry that happened to you, I hope you get in on the next round. I was not aware of the 48 hour rule. I almost added a night to my cash reservation last night, but ultimately decided to just leave I'm glad I did.

I think that is why i was shut out of getting a 5th ticket. My Poly reservation has 5 guests, but I updated it this weekend. But maybe it was Monday which would put me within 48 hours.

So I only got 4.
We booked MM last year with only three in our room and got 6 tickets. I don’t think that was the problem.

I'm sorry that happened to you, I hope you get in on the next round. I was not aware of the 48 hour rule. I almost added a night to my cash reservation last night, but ultimately decided to just leave I'm glad I did.
I also "Almost " changed my reservation ,I am never quite sure if my kids will opt in until around this time of year ,so I was going to add them on ,luckily I forgot and never did it and they still offered 4 tickets . so feeling pretty fortunate after reading all of this -
Thank's for posting beffiegirl and Good Luck re booking day !

We booked MM last year with only three in our room and got 6 tickets. I don’t think that was the problem.

It was, They limit to 4 unless you have more on the reservation. I spent an hour on the phone and did get the ticket...about 5 minutes before it sold out.

Although I had added guests before the deadline, there is no record of those types of changes ever recorded,

However, I did modify the reservation on Tuesday in order to swap out home resort points for a different reservation even though I didn’t change anything else, including names.

That modification triggered me to be denied the 5th ticket because it happened after the deadline.

So, I learned to never touch a reservation in any way within 48 hours of registration or one would be limited to 4.

Also happened to me......my son and his girlfriend weren't sure about getting time from work in February so when I booked the reservation way back in July, I told them I wouldn't add them until they could definitely let me know. I did, however, book a 2 bdrm for 5 people on the original reservation, so, would have no problem adding 2 more to the reservation. I had no idea about this 48 hour rule ...which supposedly has been in effect for close to two years? In hindsight, I should have just added them at the original reservation. I had a very long conversation with an MS supervisor last evening and was informed nothing can be done, even though the accommodations I have booked should allow me to have 9 people, of which I now have 7.
I was also told by the MS supervisor that it is an event planning company who handles these events and they are the ones who set up this new system and supposedly it is working very well. That may be.....but it seems to me ....that many DVC members were unaware of the 48 hour rule, which should have been prominently displayed when the event dates and information was first posted.
In the future, when I book a 2 bdrm, I will ALWAYS list names meeting the room capacity on the original reservation.....whether or not I actually have that number of people going....same for a 1 bdrm or studio...I will always book for the room capacity....doing so shouldn't affect my reservation negatively at all....since we never use the Dining Plan...and I believe that is the only thing the requires all registered guests in a room to participate. I almost feel badly that I feel forced to do that, simply to ensure my family won't again miss out on a Member event that just to happens to coincide with our vacation dates. Over our 18 years as DVC members, my husband and I have always played fairly and never done questionable things such as walking reservations, etc. We have always treated our DVC as a "second home" so to speak and sadly we feel that is missing amongst so many members over the past few years to the point that DVC feels the need to put these regulations in place.
Quite possibly it could be that DVC is growing too much, too quickly. Another area which we feel will need some regulation in the near future is the rental market. I'm sure DVC administration is aware of the large percentage of rentals which go on...to a point which has become problem. The past few years it seems there are more renters staying in DVC accommodations than owners. But, that's another problem for another day........

Also happened to me......my son and his girlfriend weren't sure about getting time from work in February so when I booked the reservation way back in July, I told them I wouldn't add them until they could definitely let me know. I did, however, book a 2 bdrm for 5 people on the original reservation, so, would have no problem adding 2 more to the reservation. I had no idea about this 48 hour rule ...which supposedly has been in effect for close to two years? In hindsight, I should have just added them at the original reservation. I had a very long conversation with an MS supervisor last evening and was informed nothing can be done, even though the accommodations I have booked should allow me to have 9 people, of which I now have 7.
I was also told by the MS supervisor that it is an event planning company who handles these events and they are the ones who set up this new system and supposedly it is working very well. That may be.....but it seems to me ....that many DVC members were unaware of the 48 hour rule, which should have been prominently displayed when the event dates and information was first posted.
In the future, when I book a 2 bdrm, I will ALWAYS list names meeting the room capacity on the original reservation.....whether or not I actually have that number of people going....same for a 1 bdrm or studio...I will always book for the room capacity....doing so shouldn't affect my reservation negatively at all....since we never use the Dining Plan...and I believe that is the only thing the requires all registered guests in a room to participate. I almost feel badly that I feel forced to do that, simply to ensure my family won't again miss out on a Member event that just to happens to coincide with our vacation dates. Over our 18 years as DVC members, my husband and I have always played fairly and never done questionable things such as walking reservations, etc. We have always treated our DVC as a "second home" so to speak and sadly we feel that is missing amongst so many members over the past few years to the point that DVC feels the need to put these regulations in place.
Quite possibly it could be that DVC is growing too much, too quickly. Another area which we feel will need some regulation in the near future is the rental market. I'm sure DVC administration is aware of the large percentage of rentals which go on...to a point which has become problem. The past few years it seems there are more renters staying in DVC accommodations than owners. But, that's another problem for another day........

I am sorry it didn’t work out well for you getting the other tickets. In terms of renting, it is allowed under the rules, and while I do think more owners are renting their points, they are owners and are entitled to book a room for themselves or other guests of their choice.

DVC has a process in place that is supposed to flag memberships that have a lot of reservations in other guests names within a year and my hope is that the do indeed monitor that.

It is posted clearly on the event page.

All Resort reservations and modifications—including your party size—must be complete by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on November 18, 2019. Modifications to your Resort reservation party size after November 18, 2019 will not increase party size for the event.

I’ll also be trying for reservations for MM on 12/4. I was finally able to get a 1 night reservation for January 21 at Animal Kingdom lodge the day after MM reservations were allowed. Since it sold out, I’ll try next Wednesday. if January 21st isn’t available, I’ll try for February. My airline ticket is on Southwest so it can be changed. If I can’t find a DVC room for February, I’ll cancel the one that I have and stay off site. The DVC website says there will be very limited availability on 12/4, so if I strike out, I’ll plan on the Magic Kingdom MM. I have a DVC reservation for March 3rd.

You are really serious about going to a MM! The one I went to at MK was fun, but I wouldn’t make a trip for it. And I’m glad I got in at AK, but I was already going to be there at the time. I hope you get it and that it meets all your expectations!

I went to 3 MM last year and had a blast at each of them. If I didn’t have Southwest vouchers that expire May 15th, I doubt if I would attend 3 this year. Literally, the only thing that I have to pay for is lodging.

Last week I snagged a studio boardwalk view at BWV for March 3rd. We are staying off site, but hubby has never been to BWV (except to swim) and to be sure, I’ll put five names on the reservation.

i went to a MM event in September at Typhoon Lagoon. It was the biggest cluster that I have ever seen. Food lines were awful, beach area was packed (we got a good spot but soon there were people litterally on top of our towels/chairs) and unless they make a MM event where it ONLY includes the owners (people on the deed) then I probably won't go to another. Hey, at least that will free up tix for those who like to go :)

i went to a MM event in September at Typhoon Lagoon. It was the biggest cluster that I have ever seen. Food lines were awful, beach area was packed (we got a good spot but soon there were people litterally on top of our towels/chairs) and unless they make a MM event where it ONLY includes the owners (people on the deed) then I probably won't go to another. Hey, at least that will free up tix for those who like to go :)

They won't make it deeded owners only...people have children with them at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter