Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is really being kept alive by a couple of posters who wont let the idea that Disney is perhaps not engaged in an outright cash grab go and are outraged that anyone would call them on it.

IMO this thread stays alive as DISers like to (i) debate anything Disney related, (ii) go off on tangents - both positive and negative and (iii) debate the finer points of the language used in any post as I found out the hard way.

Hasn't this thread ran the gamut of nearly every recurring topic whether it's lack of foresight by Disney's middle management, poor PR, the decline of WDW in general, the demise of evening EMH, bus service, the impact of "don't call it free" dining, pool hopping, RFID chips in refillable mugs and why the cut-backs over the years are worse than anything positive that Disney has done over the same time-frame? I believe that there are a handful on this thread trying to show that there might be some middle ground and will keep posting. We aren't happy but we're not completely dissatisfied either. JMHO

It's pure insanity to claim that less of something is not a reduction.

From http://thesaurus.com

(Bolding mine.)

--------------------------------------

Main Entry: reduction

Part of Speech: noun
Definition: decline

Synonyms: abatement, attrition, conquest, contraction, curtailment, cut, cutback, debasement, decrement, degradation, devaluation, diminution, discount, downgrading, markdown, minimization, overthrow, rebate, shrinkage, subdual, subjection, subjugation, subtraction

Main Entry: less

Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: smaller, inferior

Synonyms: beneath, declined, deficient, depressed, diminished, excepting, fewer, lacking, lesser, limited, lower, minor, minus, negative, not as great, reduced, secondary, shortened, shorter, slighter, subordinate, subtracting, unsubstantial, without

Main Entry: insanity

Definition: mental illness; foolishness

Synonyms: aberration, absurdity, alienation, craziness, delirium, delusion, dementia, derangement, distraction, dotage, folly, frenzy, hallucination, hysteria, illusion, inanity, irrationality, irresponsibility, lunacy, madness, mania, mental disorder, neurosis, phobia, preposterousness, psychopathy, psychosis, senselessness, unbalance, unreasonableness, witlessness
THIS THREAD

Main Entry: insanity

Definition: mental illness; foolishness

Synonyms: aberration, absurdity, alienation, craziness, delirium, delusion, dementia, derangement, distraction, dotage, folly, frenzy, hallucination, hysteria, illusion, inanity, irrationality, irresponsibility, lunacy, madness, mania, mental disorder, neurosis, phobia, preposterousness, psychopathy, psychosis, senselessness, unbalance, unreasonableness, witlessness
THIS THREAD

Robo, you're right again. I just checked "insanity" in my own thesaurus and found a picture of this thread.

Is this common knowledge..... or conventional wisdom?

I sort of think each individual will have to make their own call on this...... completely dependent upon the deatails of their trip dates and touring style.

The monorail service is being cutback and substituted with a less convenient mode of transportation. The bus service isnt practical for all. It's like having the option of either steak or chicken, but then.. it's decided, EVERYONE be offered chicken only. Some would say, they are STILL feeding you, so there's no problem.:rolleyes1

Yes it is. What part of "monorail resort" do people not get? The reason many of us stay at a monorail resort is because the bus system is dysfunctional at best.

But "monorail resort" is just what we refer to them as. Officially, aren't they referred to as "Magic Kingdom Area" resorts by Disney? So while most guests place a tremendous amount of value on monorail service and in many cases, is the primary reason for choosing those resorts, I do think Disney looks at it differently.

Oh....and is this change a cutback? Absolutely. How much of a cutback it really is depends on so many variables and varies greatly from guest to guest so there is no way to definitively say. For some it will be next to nothing, for others, it will be huge. Everyone needs to do their own evaluation of how much value they think they are losing against the premium they paying for those resorts. And then decide if it's still "worth it" to them to continue to choose those resorts.

But "monorail resort" is just what we refer to them as. Officially, aren't they referred to as "Magic Kingdom Area" resorts by Disney? So while most guests place a tremendous amount of value on monorail service and in many cases, is the primary reason for choosing those resorts, I do think Disney looks at it differently.

Oh....and is this change a cutback? Absolutely. How much of a cutback it really is depends on so many variables and varies greatly from guest to guest so there is no way to definitively say. For some it will be next to nothing, for others, it will be huge. Everyone needs to do their own evaluation of how much value they think they are losing against the premium they paying for those resorts. And then decide if it's still "worth it" to them to continue to choose those resorts.

Don't kid yourself. Monorail acces is ABSOLUTELY looked at BY Disney when they set their prices..... regardless of what they call it.

While you said you won't discuss this, I'm still going to respond.

The impasse is that you can't recognize that the monorails may need more maintenance time. While I accept your viewpoint and even incorporate it into mine, you don't accept mine and even acknowledge it's possible. You outright call the thought that they could be getting on there in years and need more time than previous as absurd. You claim that you don't believe a single word of the reasoning released by those who know the system best. You only choose to view it through the eyes of someone so disillusioned that they see bad everywhere they look.

That's disheartening.

If I state that the cutbacks are likely, and I even wholly agree are part of the solution, will you recognize that the maintenance may also be part of it? Whether you truly believe it is or not doesn't matter, but you've been going on as it's not even a possibility. In fact, that it's absurd to even think of it.

I'm not trying to change your view that cutbacks are involved, only that they may only be a piece of the puzzle. The size of that piece is up to individual judgement, but that they're only part of the whole.

In either case, once the closure comes, we'll be able to see for ourselves, as if there's lesser downtime, then they're doing something right. If it's the same, and there's no work done on the beams or the trains, then it is only about cutbacks, and at which point, I'll whole-heartedly agree.

Cafeen:

I will respond to this, as it is what I have always hoped for in discussing differences with other members on issues important to all of us.

Let me respectfully say, I disagree with you. However, your last well thought out response to me was pondered a bit before I decided to respond, which I am now doing. While I disagree with you, I am certain, you and I have little more to support our point's of view than our own intuition and experiences. Knowing Disney the way I do, I am skeptical.

My DH and I, have been Disney Fans for many years. We have watched the changes take place and are unhappy about most of them. For example, the "holiday pricing" in premium restaurants is the vehicle they use to raise the prices overall. Like, in 2005, the price of Boma Buffet was $26.95/person. They increased it to $32.95 for holiday pricing. Then, they changed it to $28.95 regular. Every year, they do this. Boma Buffet is now $40.00 holiday and $36.95 regular. They change the prices so frequently, you don't notice that they've actually raised their rates 30% over 6 years! Not only that, but holiday pricing is in effect for the entire summer where it used to be only the 3 major holidays.

Sorry to go off topic... but it is relevant to this discussion.

Cafeen, I do not argue with you to prove myself correct or you wrong. I argue with you because I see how things go with Disney and I am skeptical of just one more policy change that we feel, takes away from the Disney Magic!

I do consider your suggestions and your respectful response to me was thought through. Enough so, that I will take you up on your offer to wait and see what happens when this policy takes effect. Believe me, I want YOU to be correct!

My skepticism however, holds me back. Tell you what, whoever is wrong, will buy whoever is right a Dole Whip at the Polynesian on our next visit!!:woohoo:

Hey, at least we can't lose there, can we??

And just for the record, I don't mind disagreeing with people, we all have individual minds that think for ourselves! But more than anything else, we are ALL entitled to our own opinions and have a right to express them, respectfully!

That said, we may end up having to agree to disagree on this one....

but....

I still wish you to have a "magical day"!! :wizard:

Don't kid yourself. Monorail acces is ABSOLUTELY looked at BY Disney when they set their prices..... regardless of what they call it.

Of course monorail access is a significant factor in the pricing - no one would even try to dispute that...well, maybe some would :rolleyes1. That's why I also said everyone needs to reevaluate choosing those resorts in light of this cutback. But I also think Disney (and I'm sure, many guests) feels that these resorts also have a lot more going for them as well besides monorail access.

Question for the forum-

Would you stay at a monorail resort (Polynesian, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian) if the monorail service was shut down? Let's say the prices stayed the same for each resort. You would also have to take the boat/ferry/bus to get to the other parks.

Thanks!
Brunette

Yes it is. What part of "monorail resort" do people not get? The reason many of us stay at a monorail resort is because the bus system is dysfunctional at best.

i agree with you- riding the monorail is part of the Disney experience....staying at one of the "monorail" resort, as you call them. includes the convenience of having an easier time getting to and from the resort via a special/separate monorail....as someone mentioned earlier in this thread- when the MK was open late at night without the EMH the monorails were running...to me this is a cheap way to save a few $$$- once they start busing people around it becomes less special...

Question for the forum-

Would you stay at a monorail resort (Polynesian, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian) if the monorail service was shut down? Let's say the prices stayed the same for each resort. You would also have to take the boat/ferry/bus to get to the other parks.

Thanks!
Brunette

very unlikely....

we went to disneyland in october of 2006 and stayed at the disneyland hotel- the entire monorail system was shut down at disneyland while we were there for repair and maintenance- a definite downer but these things need to be done....and when they are done they are usually done during the slower time of the year for the business...

were they to reduce monorail service during a slow time of year at WDW for maintenance or even to save a few $$$ it would be acceptable- but to do so in the summer when the parks are always busy and to pinch the people staying at your most expensive hotels is just wrong....

DH and I almost always stay at a monorail resort. Without this speedy transporation for MK and EPCOT, our style of no-plans-until-we-get-there would change significantly.

Of course monorail access is a significant factor in the pricing - no one would even try to dispute that...well, maybe some would :rolleyes1. That's why I also said everyone needs to reevaluate choosing those resorts in light of this cutback. But I also think Disney (and I'm sure, many guests) feels that these resorts also have a lot more going for them as well besides monorail access.

I agree, there are definitely things that we love about the Poly besides the monorail. However, with young kids, at this point, the MK is the park we spend the most time at & the monorail makes it so much easier to zip over (often at impromptu times when we didn't have specific plans) and then bring sleepy/sleeping kids back home at the end of the day. We also enjoy dining/shopping at GF & CR. We always go during the fall so our trip has the potential to be quite affected by this depending on what management decides to do, particularly on party nights. As I've described in other posts organizing bus transportation for these resorts when the monorail isn't running isn't necessarily as easy as running a direct line back to the resort from Epcot (which from reports in the Poly thread has gone fairly well so far). It isn't just getting guests from MK to their resort, but also between resorts. I think given their proximity to MK & each other/the TTC there is also the temptation just to think guests can walk (ie. from MK to CR or TTC to Poly). Sure people already do this, but not everyone can, nor should they be expected to. Every other resort is provided transport "to the door" (figuaratively speaking) and so should these, especially when they are marketed & priced (in large part) by their normal ease of transportation. So .... we will be keeping our eye on how this works, if it creates too many headaches, if this is permanent and then reassess whether the pluses outweigh the negatives and if they make it no longer worth paying the price we do to stay there.

To answer your question brunette, if the prices stayed the same & the monorail service was completely gone - no. There are lots of other great resorts on site that I'm not sure we could justify the price with that service removed. Now if you're talking about just under the new operating schedules I would have to reserve judgement until I see how it affects the way we normally enjoy our vacations.

Question for the forum-

Thanks!
Brunette

No. I'm not a CF fan, but wouldn't stay at the Poly or GF without this service. The monorail is a major factor in choosing one of these restorts, at least for us.

This thread is all sorts of entitled awesomeness.

No. It's called Getting What You Paid For. I am paying for a monorail resort to have that monorail available and not have to take a bus. When that service is taken away, the value is less. If you paid normal price for a First Class flight to Tokyo, but they decided that, as soon as you passed Hawaii, you were going to have to sit in Economy class, would you be happy?

It's pure insanity to claim that less of something is not a reduction.

Sums it up 100%!!!!! Totally Agree with you.....

A reduction in monorail hours isn't a reduction in service because the monorail has already been replaced =.

Replacing the monorail with a bus by definition is a Cutback of the monorail service... Please explain to me how your logic gets around this simple reality. If its NOT there for you to ride and it was before at the same time period then its service is "cutback"!!

07-minister.jpg
"Please, there is absolutely NO cutback in our Monorail service....None what so ever!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter