Mommy leaves Mallory for a cruise

garneska

DIS Veteran
I know this is not a Disney Trip report but most of you know we were taking a big family vacation. I thought I would briefly share it with you guys.
The background:
In Sep 2013, Mallory was going back and forth to Auburn to figure out what was going on with her foot. At that time we went on a family cruise to celebrate my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. Mallory was still running and playing, so the dogs were staying at with my brother. They had a fenced yard, it was all good.
The plan was to take a cruise for Bert’s parents’ 50th wedding anniversary, which would be June 2019, the thought was Mallory would not be with us. While Mallory has slowed down tremendously, is not able to walk much, and has a wound, thankfully she is still with us. Well we had a cruise to take. Bert and I decided since we have not vacationed without the dogs since Sep 2013, we were going to do it right. We went on an all inclusive Crystal Cruise that went from San Francisco up the coast to Vancouver. Mallory had two very special friends, she had not met, come to play with her while we were gone. I will admit I was nervous, but our friends are very compassionate, love animals, and one has a nursing degree (benefit for the wound care).

We set off for San Francisco on Father’s Day. We flew direct to SFO. The only snafu was my mom’s luggage did not make the flight. The good thing, it was in flight already on the next one. Delta delivered it to the hotel at 9 pm PST, the phone scared the crap out of me. I was asleep. I had not slept great all week before the cruise, so I was miserable.
On Monday, Bert’s dad, Bert and I went to Alcatraz. I left them a little early so I could go back to the hotel and pick up the others and Ubered to the port. There we all met up and got on the boat for lunch. The boat was not leaving SF until Tuesday at 6 pm. Bert and I had big plans for Tuesday. We rented a convertible to drive to the Wine Country. Sonoma County to be exact. We went to two wineries, Paul Hobbs and Dutton Goldfield.

69F908E3-CFD6-4433-9A0E-5E05FFAA917A.jpeg

50CA2BE2-3035-4A30-B28B-7DABBBA3061C.jpeg

44AC7E94-0E2F-426E-9FB8-E6DE956C68F8.jpeg

I have no idea how to flip the car. But we had a cool car.

Wednesday we were in Monterrey. We rented a car and Bert’s Folks and us went for a drive. We had to tender and my folks were not comfortable doing that so they stayed on the ship. Then we got lucky. Bert’s mom was ready to hang out on the ship and that left time for Bert and I to take a run along the coast. IT WAS FABULOUS.

0F59CF3D-080B-47A7-9F91-1D632CFB83D0.jpeg

151EF5F5-DB6A-4790-A0E8-16E6D46FA9B4.jpeg

3BBC06FC-BC5C-4DBA-8D73-D2A338BF9AB7.jpeg

Thursday was a ship day. We had some rough seas that night and morning, so it was a bit of a lazy day. Bert and I did a fancy wine lunch that we enjoyed.
Friday we went to Astoria, Oregon. It was overcast and cool, but no rain. Bert and I ran to the Astoria Column. The first 3 miles was 500 ft of elevation gain up. Then we hiked up the column to take pics. Then ran back to the ship. Those 3 miles were much easier.

3EB79D3A-37F4-452D-BE71-04726EC6F8DC.jpeg

954D6D8C-B7DD-493A-842D-5DE5260986CB.jpeg

Saturday we were in Seattle. We had to tender but my mom and dad were able to get off the ship this time. All the parents went on a motor coach tour and Bert and I, well we ran again. Bert was excited to see a B17 flying above. Then we all met at Pike Place market and went to Seattle Center. We saw the Chihuly Gardens and up the space needle.

6E129689-D64F-4412-A912-BCE373D97835.jpeg

7A32CB3B-E893-4231-892E-C56409D86247.jpeg

A295C68A-7B5E-4336-92C3-F2F44066268D.jpeg

8F1C932D-BEAD-4192-BEAC-79B4B99A2A23.jpeg

Sunday was Victoria. This was a lot of fun. Bert, his dad and I went whale watching. The seas were rough, it was fun though we saw orcas and seals. Then we picked up a car and the others and went to Butchart Gardens. THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL. I know nothing about gardening but it sure was pretty. I liked the rose garden and hanging plants. We even had high tea in the dining room.

34438BED-7FB4-453F-B6AF-37376458952F.jpeg

5B324F43-021A-425E-919E-CD94AA67630B.jpeg

9CA85528-38B0-4E06-885D-997EBC165C83.jpeg

7014A2CB-D537-434E-A009-7F56C8F16E55.jpeg

EFE914EA-8AC1-4395-ABF5-CA79A431971A.jpeg

Monday was Vancouver. Guess what Bert and I did? We ran along the coast to Stanley Park. It was a great easy run of 8.5 miles.

Tuesday we got off the ship and drove to Seattle. OMG we spent 2 hours and 15 minutes at boarder control. We were hoping to be at the hotel by 2 and it was 3:15, UGH. We then took Bert’s folks to Tacoma to visit a friend. That was another long drive. While at dinner, my dog sitter called. He was worried about Mallory. She was very lethargic. We faced timed with her and thought she looked tired. It seems she had lots of fun and awake time with the sitters and she was ready for vacation to be over. Good thing for her, Mommy was going to be home the next day.
Flight went well and we were home at 5 pm. Mallory was so happy to see me.

It was a great trip and now no more vacations without Mallory. Not sure what our next trip will be, might be two weeks in the fall to the Great Smokey Mountains, in the RV so Mallory can come with.

96B9E041-891B-48AD-A0FC-5725BF45FDE1.jpeg

Sorry about the pics. I don’t have time right now to try and fix it. Tiggerdad there are some squirrels in the pics from Monterrey. There were hundreds of them at that spot. They were very friendly.

Sounds like a great time! I'm glad Mallory is doing good and was only missing Mom and Dad. Have fun camping with the fur baby.

Sounds like a great trip. I've been to several of those places, but not back to back. That would be great. Exhausting, but great.

Glad Mallory did ok. It's always a worry when you leave little ones at home. Except for our cats. I'm pretty sure they don't care if we are gone or not.

j

Looks like a very nice trip. Glad Mallory survived you being away. Looks like that Mustang Survival Suit would keep the yellow flies at bay for GSP.

The good thing about the suit, it kept me warm on the ocean. At GSP I would melt, but agree, I don’t think the yellow flies would get me.

Glad Mallory did ok. It's always a worry when you leave little ones at home. Except for our cats. I'm pretty sure they don't care if we are gone or not.

Yeah my cats never cared when I left. Mallory was sure happy to see me though.

So glad you had a great trip and back to your loving pets (the cats cared, they are just too cool to show it.)

I would love to do that or an Alaska cruise sometime.

BAD MOMMY AND DADDY NO WINE FOR YOU!!!!!!!
Poor Mallory must have been beyond herself You guys were gone for like FOREVER and then some. The Savage sisters are frantic when I go out for a mere 2 hours to go to my Good Mommy and Daddy club meetings.
I don't see any Pics of Dear Mrs. Bert's mom Please tell me she didn't spend the entire trip teaching Pole Dancing Classes

So glad y'all were able to take a vacation. I never liked leaving our babies. Glad Mallory did well, but missed her Mommie & Daddy. Give her a big hug from me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter