Mobility Aide Seats?

kylenne

Wakandan-American
Hi everyone, I have a circulatory disorder that causes me to feel faint and pass out if I’m standing too long. Lines are a real concern for me because I have a history of having episodes in them. The thing is, a scooter would be overkill for my needs because I’m able to walk just fine, it’s only standing for periods of time that poses a problem for me. And from what I understand of DAS, that’s what I would be told to do, get a scooter.

I know that true folding cane seats are not allowed by WDW security, but has anyone had success bringing the collapsing flip stick style where you’re more leaning?

Folding cane seats are a safety hazard as others can trip over them and you could fall from them if you are jostled by someone else. In most lines you are moving albeit slowly so they are not that useful. I would recommend renting a wheelchair and using it as a walker. You can then sit in it and either have someone push or scoot along with your feet.
But yes as it appears to be a mobility issue you will likely be instructed to rent a wheelchair or ecv

I think it would be allowed as a cane just like other cane seats are allowed for use as a cane. If you intended to sit on it, no I don't think that would be allowed. As PP mentions, the queues keep moving slowly so you would hardly get settled before needing to move again, plus with just the 1 "leg" it would considered a serious safety hazard if someone accidentally bumped that out from under you.

Maybe a rollator would be helpful? Walk and push, but have a seat ready when needed.

Enjoy your vacation!

Why not rent a manual wheelchair? That way you can simply push it around when you don't need it, and sit when you need to. You can take it into the lines and it's cheaper and more convenient than a scooter. Since you don't need anything at your resort, presumably, renting each day as you enter the park is probably easiest.

A DAS does not eliminate the possibility of standing in long lines. You will use the Fastpass line and those can be quite long on many attractions. We waited over 45 min in the Test Track FP line on several occasions.

Hi everyone, I have a circulatory disorder that causes me to feel faint and pass out if I’m standing too long. Lines are a real concern for me because I have a history of having episodes in them. The thing is, a scooter would be overkill for my needs because I’m able to walk just fine, it’s only standing for periods of time that poses a problem for me. And from what I understand of DAS, that’s what I would be told to do, get a scooter.

I know that true folding cane seats are not allowed by WDW security, but has anyone had success bringing the collapsing flip stick style where you’re more leaning?
I would look into a roller or a wheelchair where you can push and sit when need too. A DAS will not help you and you are right the CM should tell you to use some time of mobility aid

Thanks for the advice everyone. Since I would not need it at the resort, wheelchair rental at the parks sounds like it might be the way to go from the consensus. I’m afraid I don’t have experience with them at the parks though. How does it work in queues? Does the CM park it while we’re on the ride?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Since I would not need it at the resort, wheelchair rental at the parks sounds like it might be the way to go from the consensus. I’m afraid I don’t have experience with them at the parks though. How does it work in queues? Does the CM park it while we’re on the ride?

Different attractions have different setups. The cast member at the entrance will direct you as to what to do at each attraction. But I'd rethink not having one at the resort, unless you plan on driving to the parks each day. You'd be standing quite a bit waiting for buses, and they don't all have nearby benches to sit on, especially the bus stops at the parks. Rollators are really handy, as they can be pushed easily, and you'd always have a seat available.

Different attractions have different setups. The cast member at the entrance will direct you as to what to do at each attraction. But I'd rethink not having one at the resort, unless you plan on driving to the parks each day. You'd be standing quite a bit waiting for buses, and they don't all have nearby benches to sit on, especially the bus stops at the parks. Rollators are really handy, as they can be pushed easily, and you'd always have a seat available.

We’re staying at the Poly so would need to bus it to DHS and AK, and we’re just going to use Uber those days. My only real transport line concern would be waiting for boat/monorail after MK fireworks, but we’re the sort to hang back and let the crowds clear out anyway. I like the idea of a rollator though, because I did use one on a trip to the Smithsonian African American museum (lines there are as bad as WDW!) and it was really convenient. Do the wheelchair rental services have those available as well?

We’re staying at the Poly so would need to bus it to DHS and AK, and we’re just going to use Uber those days. My only real transport line concern would be waiting for boat/monorail after MK fireworks, but we’re the sort to hang back and let the crowds clear out anyway. I like the idea of a rollator though, because I did use one on a trip to the Smithsonian African American museum (lines there are as bad as WDW!) and it was really convenient. Do the wheelchair rental services have those available as well?
they do not rent rooler at disney so you will need one off site, I would really look at getting a wheenciar of site as it would be cheeper for one but I would hat to get stuck some where like waiting for Uber, waiting for the monerail ( and if there is not a set on it and you have to stand then what) there are just so much what ifs, ( if you do rent on site have a few number in your phone for just inces)

also the park wheelchair are very crapy, heavy and so on ( they do works and if you are just pushing and sitting in it for in line it would be ok)

if you have a wheelchair or roller 90% of the time you will just go in the standby ( or FP line if you have a FP) and if the load unload are in a different plces the CM will move your wheelchair or roller to the exit, a few rides ( maybe 5 and less then 10) have a different way to get on becuse the standby is not wheelchair accessable this can be like anything from going in the FP to going thought the exit space, JC BTMRR, IASW and spaceship earth are the ones I can think of that do this, still a few you go in what ever line and there is a cut off becuse of steps or something else splsh is on that does this,

it realy is easy the CM make it easy and they are so nice too, if in dought when going in a line you can just say something like can I take my wheelchair in this line, just take an extra second.

Another thing to consider - your room at the Poly may be a long way from the lobby (and the monorail), the bus stops and the rest of the resort. If possible, I would recommend renting from an offsite company or purchasing one and taking it with you (don't underestimate the walking at the airport).

WDW rents wheelchairs or ECVs but not rollators or other mobility aids. I don't know if most of the regular ECV/wheelchair vendors offer a rollator; I'm thinking not likely for most of them. Orlando Medical Rentals does rent rollators. Just a quick glance it looks as though a rollator rents for slightly less than a wheelchair, though it may vary by model. Alternatively, you may be able to buy one at home for close to what it will cost to rent for a week, and you'd have it for a future trip. Your insurance may or may not cover a purchase.

Enjoy your vacation!

Another thing to consider - your room at the Poly may be a long way from the lobby (and the monorail), the bus stops and the rest of the resort. If possible, I would recommend renting from an offsite company or purchasing one and taking it with you (don't underestimate the walking at the airport).

I’m good with walking distances, actually. My circulation is much better then because of the activity. It’s standing in one spot with minimal movement for a period of time that’s challenging—I start to feel faint very quickly and hit the deck if I can’t sit down asap. If I’m moving, I’m ok. At home I rely on a cane seat/folding stool because it’s most convenient, so that’s why I’m a bit lost here. On my first trip back as an adult a couple years ago, I just kind of leaned awkwardly in the queue. It kinda sucked lol.

WDW rents wheelchairs or ECVs but not rollators or other mobility aids. I don't know if most of the regular ECV/wheelchair vendors offer a rollator; I'm thinking not likely for most of them. Orlando Medical Rentals does rent rollators. Just a quick glance it looks as though a rollator rents for slightly less than a wheelchair, though it may vary by model. Alternatively, you may be able to buy one at home for close to what it will cost to rent for a week, and you'd have it for a future trip. Your insurance may or may not cover a purchase.

Enjoy your vacation!

I checked the links in the FAQ and it doesn’t look like most do. :( I did check another company called Gold Mobility in a thread someone used for scooter rental and they rent out rollators. We will look into that.

Thank you all again for the help. Even though I’ve dealt with this all my life it’s still difficult sometimes to admit I have limitations and it’s tough getting the judgey stares and people thinking I’m just lazy because I’m young and don’t “look sick”. I appreciate the kindness and encouragement here.

You can buy a rollator on Amazon for about $60.

No offense but this isn’t practical for a number of reasons, which is why I was asking about rentals. I would much rather rent for convenience sake even if it ends up costing us a bit more.

No offense but this isn’t practical for a number of reasons, which is why I was asking about rentals. I would much rather rent for convenience sake even if it ends up costing us a bit more.

Rollators fold up, and can be taken on airlines for free. If you had one of your own, you could have one at hand whenever, wherever you needed one. I'm assuming this condition of yours is not going away?

Rollators fold up, and can be taken on airlines for free. If you had one of your own, you could have one at hand whenever, wherever you needed one. I'm assuming this condition of yours is not going away?

Like I said, I use a cane seat at home in day to day life and on other trips. I have absolutely no use for a rollator anywhere but at Disney. I also live in a cramped NYC place with no place to store a bulky item I wouldn’t use outside of the Disney trips I take once maybe every 3 years. It makes no sense to buy something that’s just going to collect dust and take up valuable space when I come home. Which, again, is why I asked about renting. I’m not trying to argue with y’all but there’s a reason I’m not buying one other than cost and I wish people would respect that.

I also live in a cramped NYC place with no place to store a bulky item I wouldn’t use outside of the Disney trips I take once maybe every 3 years. It makes no sense to buy something that’s just going to collect dust and take up valuable space when I come home.
Okay. I responded above immediately after reading gap's response. Will not try to convince you, but consider: for the same/similar price as a rental, you could purchase and donate it when back. Senior centers, service organizations, churches...

Like I said, I use a cane seat at home in day to day life and on other trips. I have absolutely no use for a rollator anywhere but at Disney. I also live in a cramped NYC place with no place to store a bulky item I wouldn’t use outside of the Disney trips I take once maybe every 3 years. It makes no sense to buy something that’s just going to collect dust and take up valuable space when I come home. Which, again, is why I asked about renting. I’m not trying to argue with y’all but there’s a reason I’m not buying one other than cost and I wish people would respect that.

No disrespect intended, just making an observation and a suggestion. I like kaytieeldr's suggestion of buying one for the trip, then donating it or reselling it even. Then you'd have it at the airports, the resort bus stops, the park bus stops, Disney Springs, etc. Or you could just rent one down there from the offsite vendor that offers rollators for rent. Wheelchairs are great too, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!