Mobile Phones Charges

David.g

Earning My Ears
Hi all

We wear intending on taking our mobile phones with us to Orlando rather than buying 2 way radios.
But I have just been told that when we are phoning each others mobiles in Orlando the call will be routed back to the UK then back to the USA then onto the mobile that I am calling and will cost loads is this true?? :confused3

Am I correct in thinking that 2 way radios that are bought in the USA cant be used in the UK because of the different radio frequencies?

Thanks again
David

David

I don't know about the 2 way radios for a certainty, although I do know that the frequency is different. However, what you have been told about the mobiles is correct - the cheapest way on using the mobiles is via text because you are probly only taking a maximum of 40p a time that way - hope that helps.

Yes you are correct about the 2 way radios. I looked into getting some last year but found out that UK ones can't be used over there and vice versa - its to do with using the emergency frequencies. I also tried to buy some US ones before we left home but all the sites I looked on wouldn't ship outside the US.

I'm considering buying some as soon as we get over there this year, maybe in Walmart or similar. I think you pay the same in dollars as you would in pounds for UK ones, so they are cheaper. We saw lots of people using them in the parks.

I used my tri-band mobile last year and it cost me a packet!

Talking to my mate who has a villa, he suggested I bought a "pay-as-you-go" SIM card in Florida and bought "top-up" cards if you needed them.

I suppose to get it cheaper the wife would need one for her mobile, but it might be worth looking into.

On a UK website I found a SIM card for £3.75, even if I bought a £20.00 "pay-as-you-go" credit it would still work out cheaper.

Has anybody done this?

Thanks to you all for the information :)

I am considering the possibility of some cheep pay as you go USA SIM cards.
Can any of you recommend somewhere that I could find out more information about the cost and charges and so on off pay as you go USA SIM cards?

I would also be interested to hear if any one has bought pay as you go SIM cards rather than 2 way radios in Orlando.

Thanks again
David

I've never heard of buying these for UK phones - do you need an unlocking code or will they just work in any brand/network phone?

This is very interesting!

I am not sure they will work over there.. I am no expert.

When we were last in Orlando I bought a Pay as you Go phone. we find it really useful.. and I bought the Virgin k9 phone... it was about £30 including $10 phone calls.

We have walkie talkies too.. but they are over used now.. we found it tricky to get hold of eachother.. plus if I went shopping and left DH at home, obviously it didnt work.

We bought the radios in radio shack or somewhere.. they even sell them at the disney store for about $30...

They do work here, but you are not supposed to use them..

We thought of buying US phones but figured that the cost of 2 phones would work out the same as if we just paid the UK charges and txt rather than call.....

Mine's a payg - DH has a contract. I'll put a £30 top up on mine before I go and can always top up again out there using switch.

It's a hard call - I think if I was going to the states more than once year or once every 18 months then I would opt to buy US phones.

If you both have triband phones it would be worth you having the simlocks taken off then you could buy a US pay as you go sim card. I have a Samsung V200 that isn't simlocked that I'm taking but we may have to get a second handset so may buy a cheap pay as you go handset when we are there.

I don't think mine has a sim lock on. Not sure about hubby's. I'll get him to check.

Any idea how much the sim cards will cost? :confused3 :confused3

Mumof2 said:
I don't think mine has a sim lock on. Not sure about hubby's. I'll get him to check.

Any idea how much the sim cards will cost? :confused3 :confused3

It's easy to check if your handset is simlocked just put a sim card from another network in it if it picks up that network and doesn't say error it's not locked simple as that really. Most handsets are simlocked I don't know why but for some reason the V200 I have wasn't. Can't help on the cost of the sim cards sorry the last time we went we didn't have a triband handset so it wasn't an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!