• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK After Hours OR Extra MNSSHP Night? (for attractions)

Minkishly

Hi guys! The Aug dates for MK AH have finally been announced, but the only night that falls within our trip (Aug 9 to Aug 22) is the one on Aug 22 - which is our last night. We have a 3pm flight the next day, so doing an AH seems like it would be okay... except that it's a 26 hours journey home. I'm not so sure that we want to close the parks the night before a long haul flight.

My other option is to add an extra party night and make that all about the rides. We already have tickets for the party on Aug 20, so our (only) other party night that falls within our trip is the first party on Aug 16. I know this party is going to be crowded, but would it not be as bad if we were just focusing on attractions?

I guess we could also do Fantasyland EMM, but we're more night birds and would rather close the park.

It's not a perfect situation, but I'm hoping to make the best of it! If you were me, what would you do?

If your focus is attractions, than I would do AH. I understand the problem with long journey the day after, I always have the same problem (coming from Europe) but with a late night before the journey back, I could much better sleep at the airplane ;-)
I only did one MVMCP in 2016 and then AH in 2019. I did enjoy both, but the party (a weekday in early december) was much fuller. I focused mainly on characters, parade, shows and fireworks. Nevertheless I did enter 7DM-line shortly before close and waited for 20-30mins. At AH I almost rode every ride (okay no IaSW and JC before party-start) as well as each of the mountains 2times. Although 7DM was down half the time, I also did it 2times and the wait-time was never higher than 20mins and so always shorter than at the party in 2016 in the end...

You will cover much more ground on a DAH night for attractions than you ever will on a party night. You will be able to sleep in the next morning, so it's not horrible and you can always sleep on the plane as well. I would definitely do DAH.

DAH are advertised primarily for short wait times. That is essentially what you are paying extra for; a few hours in the park with very low crowds and low wait times. With MNSSHP and MVMCP, you're paying for the holiday theming activities, NOT low waits and low crowds. In years past the parties have had lower wait times, but it's really not the case anymore. Disney sells quite a few of those tickets, whereas DAH does seem to have a very limited amount sold. So if you're goal is to ride attractions with low wait times, then go with DAH, no question.

For attractions, DAH. We were at the second MNSSHP last year and it was mobbed. Personally, I don't mind being exhausted on long-haul flights as I'd rather sleep through them than constantly look at my watch to see if we are there yet.

I did both last year. This year I am only doing DAH because our priority is the attractions so that would be my suggestion for you too. DAH was my favorite part of the trip!

Definitely AH for attractions. MNSSHP is more about the atmosphere, meeting rare characters, special Halloween festivities, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter