Mistakes Made On First Trip

My bff and I were talking last night about Disney, about our last trip and our next trip and we both agree that we know so much more. Reading on the Disboards was great and had me prepared for some thingz, but we still made amateur mistakes. Admittedly, some of those mistakes were because I ignored advice I was given here.

Things we'll do different next trip:
- dedicated pool/Downtown Disney day. We only had one short visit to the pool and only spent about an hour at Disney Springs. Next time, we'll set aside a specific non-park day.
- made dinner reservations the day we did F&W. We just did not a get chance to maximize the F&W booths and there was a lot we didn't get to try. Next time we know not to make a TS (at least not a buffet) reservation on our Epcot day.
- more time at MK. I didn't realize how big this park was or how much time it really rquires. We did one full and one half day and it wasn't nearly enough. So much we didn't get to do.

Anyone find that they made rookie mistakes on their first trip?

Yeah, we did. Mistakes we made that come to mind:

- Not taking a day to rest after driving 3 days to get to WDW. We just jumped right in.
- Doing too many days in a row without taking a break.

(These two were biggies because they led to us getting really worn out, which made us cut our last day in parks short, and we also ended up dropping BB).

- Not budgeting enough money for gas (that isn't necessarily a WDW mistake, but we used Gas Buddies to figure out how much gas we'd need to drive there/back. Forgetting that they calculate your gas needs based on PERFECT driving conditions, meaning, they don't account for going 10-15 miles an hour over the speed limit, trying to keep up with traffic, or being stuck for 1.5 hours in traffic jams).
- We weren't aware that when staying off-site, when there's EMH at the park, you are held at the TTC until 9:00, as opposed to being allowed to board the monorail and then wait in line at the gates at MK. Consequently we a) could have slept in a bit longer and b) spent a lot of wasted time sitting at the TTC.
- We missed Festival of Fantasy parade :(
- Packing too many water bottles in our backpack cooler. Got pretty heavy. Next time, one bottle per person and refill them!
- Not spending enough time at Epcot.

Last edited:
I think most people would agree but the most rookie mistake is to not do your research and not plan things out. When we went the first trip we were lucky if we went on 3 rides a day because I just didn't plan things out or do my research and it was really depressing honestly. Now I am starting to plan our 5th trip to the world for next year and I know so much more now than I did back then, thanks to these boards. I really know how to navigate the parks and when to go on what and its really because of these boards that helped me out. So my suggestion to everyone is really dig deep and research and read everything you can on these boards, lol

I think most people would agree but the most rookie mistake is to not do your research and not plan things out. When we went the first trip we were lucky if we went on 3 rides a day because I just didn't plan things out or do my research and it was really depressing honestly. Now I am starting to plan our 5th trip to the world for next year and I know so much more now than I did back then, thanks to these boards. I really know how to navigate the parks and when to go on what and its really because of these boards that helped me out. So my suggestion to everyone is really dig deep and research and read everything you can on these boards, lol

Funny thing is, as a rookie, one of our biggest mistakes was planning too much. I found all that time I spent making touring plans and stressing about "plans" was really a waste. Plan your meals, your FP+ and from there, just enjoy it. But then again, we're not people who are trying to do a marathon getting every ride done. We're more interested in the experience of being there, seeing things, enjoying interactions as they happen etc... Basically, all the things you can't plan.

Funny thing is, as a rookie, one of our biggest mistakes was planning too much. I found all that time I spent making touring plans and stressing about "plans" was really a waste. Plan your meals, your FP+ and from there, just enjoy it. But then again, we're not people who are trying to do a marathon getting every ride done. We're more interested in the experience of being there, seeing things, enjoying interactions as they happen etc... Basically, all the things you can't plan.

For me I can never over plan things. My oldest son is on the spectrum so when I don't go with a plan then he doesn't know what to expect and he gets all frazzled so I have to plan everything down to the minute of what we are doing when. Its a little complex but I have been doing it for so long that spread sheets are now my friend, lol...Unfortunately though next year his younger brother will be 3 on our trip so while my older son will want to do some of the bigger rides I doubt the 3 year old will want to wait for him to finish riding before going on another ride, lol...so planning FPs is going to take a little more brain power, lol

For me I can never over plan things. My oldest son is on the spectrum so when I don't go with a plan then he doesn't know what to expect and he gets all frazzled so I have to plan everything down to the minute of what we are doing when. Its a little complex but I have been doing it for so long that spread sheets are now my friend, lol...Unfortunately though next year his younger brother will be 3 on our trip so while my older son will want to do some of the bigger rides I doubt the 3 year old will want to wait for him to finish riding before going on another ride, lol...so planning FPs is going to take a little more brain power, lol

Our daughter has ASD as well, and our son has SPD/Tourette's. But (for us) they did much better just allowing them to enjoy what they wanted, than if I had tried to force them to our plan. Mostly because DD gets fixated easily, so if she saw something she wanted to do - that was that, we were going to do it, even if it meant waiting in line for 30+ minutes in the 110F sun, for Jessie & Woody, lol. But we did have a visual schedule on the fridge of what park we would be visiting each day, what special events we'd be doing (like BBB/CRT, HDDR etc...) so they knew what to expect that way.

We did a lot of planning so we didn't make any huge mistakes, but we did make a few.

1. Not realizing we had to take a ferry to Mk before opening it made us very late for our CP reservation.

2. Buying tickets to two halloween parties. It was raining heavily during the second and I didn't feel well so we didn't go.

3. Planning a little too much to do. Our go all the time pace was fine at Disney but I caught a cold at the end and ended up sleeping in and cancelling some plans by our Universal days. We had Discovery Cove tickets but went pretty late in the day, cancelled some reservations, and didn't use our waterpark tickets for Disney. (But I also wasn't counting on getting sick).

4. Didn't bring moleskin. We got some eventually but I already had blisters within the first day. I've worn both pairs of sneakers I've brought for a lot of walking with no problems so I thought we could wait on it.

5. Not anything we could've predicted but the sunscreen I bought gave me a rash 2 days in, we bought a new one there and it went away after I showered and stopped using it.

First trip as a family was in 2007 - dd had just turned 7 - not an adventurous rider.

Big mistake #1 It's tough to be a bug - we walked right in and didn't see or hear the warnings - she was in tears and we were evacuating the minute Hopper turned up.

Big Mistake #2 Dinosaur - dark, scary, rough ride - we loved the Dinosaur movie and she loves dinosaurs - what could go wrong - UGH

Minor Mistake - we did not have a clue about FP - it really was a low crowd time so it didn't really matter but as part of the Year of a Millions Dreams we got the set of FP and had no clue - I think we used one of them just not understanding the system/ benefits.

Minor Mistake #2 was using a travel agent - hated having to book ADRs through her

Minor Mistake #3 - went without reading about (basically anything) menus and we just ate where we found food. We were on the meal plan and ended up eating at Akershus many times (once we were onsite I could just call up dining and make an ADR)

My biggest rookie mistake from our first family trip in 2008: spending a morning doing laundry before heading to DHS.

Yeah, we were the ones waiting 90 minutes for Toy Story Mania... a mistake I've never repeated. In our trips since then, we've never waited more than 20 minutes for anything.

That morning to sleep in works for some people. For my family, it's all about an early start then an afternoon swim/nap-- that's the time we do any laundry that has to get done.

Overall we had a good basic plan for our first real trip so the mistakes were fairly small. We didn't use hand sanitizer and DD6 got sick. We did however, plan in a rest day which worked out well since it was one of the days she was sick. We didn't know you could change a fast pass after the window had opened so we lost one when we didn't make it to Peter Pan before our ADR. There were things we might have done differently but I wouldn't call them mistakes.

Our first trip in 2009 we did rope drop to close at Epcot. We quickly learned that we all hit the wall after 4-5 hours and really need a break to nap/relax/swim etc. Now we plan accordingly and go at a relaxed pace. I know it might not be for everyone but it works well for us. We feel refreshed and ready for the evening's adventures. Can't wait to be there in 1 week!

Opening and closing MK with a young child (with a break)

Next trip I think I'll alternate early mornings with late nights and not do both in one day.
And make sure we can sleep in after a late night!

Not scheduling one full rest day in between our Universal and Disney trips... Our whole body ached after all that walking on the second day.. After four years we finally learned lol last year was amazing taking a whole day to just chill.. Wake up late, hang at the pool for hours, take it easy hanging at Disney Springs

I wouldn't necessarily say this was a mistake, but it was definitely a learning experience. On DD1's first trip when she was 2, her first ride ever (not just at WDW) was Winnie the Pooh. The part with the woozles/heffalumps and the rain scared her. After that we spent the rest of the day trying to convince her to get on other rides. As long as they were out in the open we were ok (dumbo, tea cups, carpets, etc...) but anything she couldn't see like IASM, little mermaid, etc we had to spend a good 15 mins talking her into the ride. By the end of the first day she had gotten over her fear of "rides" but that first morning was rough! When we go for DD2's first trip next year, we are starting with Dumbo and working our way from there.

First trip as a family was in 2007 - dd had just turned 7 - not an adventurous rider.

Big mistake #1 It's tough to be a bug - we walked right in and didn't see or hear the warnings - she was in tears and we were evacuating the minute Hopper turned up.

Big Mistake #2 Dinosaur - dark, scary, rough ride - we loved the Dinosaur movie and she loves dinosaurs - what could go wrong - UGH

Minor Mistake - we did not have a clue about FP - it really was a low crowd time so it didn't really matter but as part of the Year of a Millions Dreams we got the set of FP and had no clue - I think we used one of them just not understanding the system/ benefits.

Minor Mistake #2 was using a travel agent - hated having to book ADRs through her

Minor Mistake #3 - went without reading about (basically anything) menus and we just ate where we found food. We were on the meal plan and ended up eating at Akershus many times (once we were onsite I could just call up dining and make an ADR)

Why did you have to make your ADRs through your travel agent? I've used a travel agent to make my room/package reservations for the last 15 years. I don't have to go through her to make ADRs. Anyone can make an ADR directly with Disney.

Why did you have to make your ADRs through your travel agent? I've used a travel agent to make my room/package reservations for the last 15 years. I don't have to go through her to make ADRs. Anyone can make an ADR directly with Disney.
I don't know - I tried calling Disney and they would not let me make ADRs with them prior to our arrival (once onsite I could) they kept (they being more than one CM I called a few times) telling me I had to go through our travel agent. I found it to be frustrating so that was our one and only travel agent experience

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter