Mission:Space toned-down?

Let get one thing clear. From the start of guest previews to now, there have been NO changes to the intensity. Why? WDI isn't there. It's not like there is a little field you can choose to select the Gs. The origional desing of the attraction that was tested by guests in Feb had 3gs. This version has 2.5gs.

It had a technical problem one of the 20 times we rode it last 3 weeks. We were waiting in the boarding are and I was freeezing to death. We were all joking that they were waiting for someone to get the mop and bucket out to clean up after a previous launch:crazy2: Actually it was not nauseous at all and I am a coaster chicken::yes:: :blush: .. Though many a time I saw the Reedy Creek emergency crew rushing towards that area of Epcot:rolleyes: :earsgirl:

I must be wacky, but I didn't think MS was all that thrilling. Yeah, the first 5-10 seconds of the launch sucked the breath out of my lungs, but after that, it was just another simulator ride to me. I didn't even realize the thing was spinning until someone told me it did. And I'm one of those people that absolutely CANNOT handle the Mad Tea Party. Go figure.;)

It's amazing how different people are, my wife rode and loved it. The fourth or fifth time we close dour eyes and felt nothing as far as sickness, but thats us. They do warn the snot out of you though before you get on the ride.

Me, my husband and my two girls rode on 10/3 (friday - also went to MNSSHP that night!). My girls are 9 and 10. We've been taking them to theme parks since they were babies and love the coasters.
I have something called peripheralvestibuloper, which means that I have chronic dizziness. When I was a kid, the ROTOR was my favorite ride at Rye Playland and I LOVED spinning. But since getting this condition in my early twenties, I can't tolerate any spinning, or even standing on uneven ground, or walking down steps for that matter.

My youngest daughter has slight asthma, so she brought her inhaler along in her fanny pack, just in case.

I have to say that even with the dizzyness, I was still greatly awaiting the opening of this ride. We went down last year while they were building this, and I told my husband that we will definitely be there for the opening. We were a few days too short, but I got to ride the ride!

Upon entering the building, I was seriously considering walking out without riding because there were so many warnings about motion sickness, but this is what I was waiting for, so I got into the pod and just spread my legs as wide as I could so I wouldn't get breakfast on my nice new Sketchers (!)

Call me crazy, but I'm a sucker for punishment because I also love motion-simulator rides. As soon as we were preparing for blast-off, it started. Oh My God, and then the spinning started. I'm trying to figure out how Not to panic in front of my two kids, because I've never felt that way before, I can't even describe the feeling of how I felt....I thought I was going to pass out and die.

Now for everyone else in the world who doesn't have this condition, you're scoffing at me. But I have to live with being dizzy (my husband says I dye my hair brown) every day of my life.
The dizziness I feel on a daily basis would make most people stay in bed all day, vomiting, but I've learned to live with it...

When this ride started spinning, I didn't know what to do.
Then my daughter starts screaming and breathing funny,

Oh - My- God - Mommy - I'm- Having- An- Asthma- Attack!!!!!

I'm trying to calm her down thinking I, myself, am not coming out of this conscious, and I am trying to kick open the storage bin to get at her fanny pack, but at the same time I'm keeping my head straight staring straight into the screen so I really don't hurl!

I couldn't get the pack, because when the ride starts, the bins move up and back while the monitor and control panel move forward, so I'm thinking I'm going to faint or die while trying to comfort my daughter who thinks she's having an asthma attack at the same time.

She told me that that's what an asthma attack feels like, compression in the chest, not being able to breathe....

Then while Kyra's screaming and crying about how she can't breathe and I'm panicking, my husband's yelling about how we're not pressing the buttons!!! Now that I look back it was Very comical! Forget about not being able to breathe, almost hurling, Just Press The Buttons!!!!

Anyway, after all was said and done, we came off the ride and Kyra was crying. I was VERY DIZZY....so dizzy I forgot to get myself a
Mission:Space Tshirt to wear to the gym.....

My husband said he Hates Motion Simulators/Spinning Rides, but he thought Mission:Space was great. (He's ridden the tallest coaster in America many times with his hands up!) He liked it and said it was as realistic as he thought it would be, minus the computer graphics....He also said that he did not feel ANY sort of spinning At All...He only felt the pod turning up and down...

All in All, I would definitely ride it again. We didn't ride it again that day because the kids didn't want to do it again (surprised?)

I am extremely grateful there is only 2.5 g's on that ride, or else I really would've lost it!

Wow, I never thought of the G's might seem like an asthma attack.

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Let get one thing clear. From the start of guest previews to now, there have been NO changes to the intensity. Why? WDI isn't there. It's not like there is a little field you can choose to select the Gs. The origional desing of the attraction that was tested by guests in Feb had 3gs. This version has 2.5gs.

but was there a change from the start of CM previews? The rumor is that so many CM were getting sick that the ride was toned down.

From Guest Previews that started in June to now, there have been NO changes in the ride intensity.

We rode last Saturday, and were in line with someone who works at WDW. He said his friend has worked on the ride since it began, and he assured us the ride has NOT been toned down.

I went on Mission Space last week. I too get motion sickness. When I take the pills, I fall asleep, so I wore the patch. Worked great, enjoyed every ride, except Mission Space. My husband absolutely loved it, I thought I was going to die. It tells you.... do not close your eyes you will become more disoriented, I thought it was bull, but they were right. I opened them and kept saying I thought I was going to die. The pressure was unreal. I'm heading back down south in December, I know I won't be doing that ride again.

I rode Mission Space once in June and four times in October. I didn't notice any difference between my first ride in June and my experience in October.

As far as discomfort, the only time that I feel the least bit dizzy is when the ride first starts off, and then only for a couple of seconds. To be honest, I feel a whole lot more dizzy after riding Rock N Roller Coaster than I ever did after riding Mission Space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter