Mission:Space toned-down?

morphi

DIS Veteran
There was a rumor awhile back that Mission:Space would be toned down due to the results of the early testing. Does anyone know if in fact M:S was toned-down? The reason I ask is that I rode it three times during my 7 day vacation in WDW last week. The ride was less intense than I expected based on all of the reviews on these boards and other places on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the ride and think it is a good addition to WDW. It's just that the G-forces didn't seem as intense as I expected. In fact, after riding it, I decided that my wimpy 5 year old duaghter could handle it. So if it has been toned down, it has become more of a family ride.

Other miscellaneous thoughts on M:S:

The building is beautiful. I really like the material they used to cover the planets at the entrance.

The queue was very good and set the stage for the ride quite well. I thought the sound in the background added to the drama well.

I'm a big guy and the seat and harness were very spacious and comfortable for me. You'd have to be pretty big to not be able to ride M:S. But I did notice that tall people cannot see the top 1 or 2 inches of the video screen. This was only an issue during certain scenes (most importantly the slingshot around the moon where the moon is rolling around toward the top of the screen).

The G-force effects were very good and timed nicely with the video. The movement is very smooth. However, the one negative about the movement is that when it should be jolting and jarring, it is not. I was thinking of the crash landing. It was not jarring at all.

The ending was a bit disappointing. When you are teetering over the edge, since you signed-up for an action ride, you WANT to fall and glide to safety on the ravine floor or something. Why did they make you expect more action and thrills at the very end of the ride and then not give it to you?

I still wish that the story behind the ride was not that you are training in a simulator but that you are actually flying to Mars. The story could have been that Earth was going to be destroyed by a meteor and was being evacuated to humanity's new home on Mars that had been terraformed when we learned of the meteor 50 years earlier.

Overall, I thinks it's a good ride with a good re-rideability factor. I think it's one of the best at WDW and should stand the test of time pretty well. (But I still don't think it beats Spider Man as a cutting-edge, all-encompassing, top-of-the-heap, thrill ride.)

There are 4 centrifuges. Couldn't you have varying degrees of thrill? The green one being the least, red the most, or something like that. Must all 4 be run the same? If it is determined that it needs to be scaled back because xx% of the riders have troubles, why "punish" all riders to appease that group, given that there seems to be an alternative.

Has anyone else not pushed the buttons when told? My son and I had to do it the 2nd time we rode it. For those that haven't not pushed them (talk about a confusing sentance) you get a "computer override".

If you do not push the buttons as instruction within about two or three seconds, then the words "Computer Overide" are head and the computer completes the task for you

I rode Mission Space on opening day in August. I love roller costers and thrill rides. It was too much for me. It took my husband and I about 20 minutes for our stomaches to return to normal. Every single person looked green coming off the ride. I was very glad I did it once but did not want to try it again. So..I am thinking they did tone it down. I really felt that at the time that I went there was not enough warnings about the amazing affects of this ride.

I rode it also in Aug. and thought it was intense. I shall ride it again to see.

We rode MS in August prior to the offical opening and I found the ride to be great. However, I am subject to motion sickness and although coaster rides do not bother me this ride did upset me a little. I had to sit for awhile after the ride.

My son's college buddy who is currently in the college program said he was an early test subject. Although he did not get sick many CM who tested this ride did get sick and Disney slowed the ride from 60mph to 35mph. Too many CM were getting sick on this ride. It was known as the "vomit comet."

If I do try this ride again I may take some motion sickness pills to see if that helps. Otherwise this is a ride I will pass on in the future. I don't go to WDW to get sick. ( smile)

Enjoy!

Originally posted by mickeyc

My son's college buddy who is currently in the college program said he was an early test subject. Although he did not get sick many CM who tested this ride did get sick and Disney slowed the ride from 60mph to 35mph. Too many CM were getting sick on this ride. It was known as the "vomit comet."

Crap!

They ruined it before I had a chance to ride it.

Oh well...

Originally posted by mickeyc

Enjoy!

Not sure I completely buy this. I'd don't think mph is the meausure used. I'd expect either G Force or even RPM. I know ANY simulator will cause most guests to vomit if the video is out of sync with the motion.

Folks don't let the hype fool you. M:S is NOT a very intense ride. It might be intense compared to Space Mountain or Test Track but those aren't really thrill rides to me anyways. I kept waiting for the intense part to come and before I knew it I was walking out of the pod. But oh well I should've known better because it came from Disney. They will never make an extreme thrill ride and M:S is DEFINATELY not extreme. It's basically like a new Body Wars except not nearly as bumpy or wild. Sure you get a little bit of G Forces but its not a big deal at all.

But also let it be known that I love the ride, I know that's hard to believe after I basically slammed it, but now I know what to expect. It's not a thrill ride, it's a DISNEY thrill ride. Big difference :D

I agree this is not a typical coaster ride. However, there is no doubt people were getting sick after the ride. If you are subject to motion sickness I would suggest taking the appropriate medication prior to riding. As I mentioned in my previous post I ride coasters without incident--this ride did make me queascy. It was several hours before I felt okay.

If I decide to ride it again I intend to take precautions such as a motion sickness remedy. It doesn't make sense to get sick if it can be avoided.

I enjoyed the ride and according to astronauts who rode it they say it is very authentic. I think it will be the closest I will ever get to riding a space shuttle. (smile)

Those who go to Epcot enjoy the new ride!! This is not hype people are/were getting sick. It is possible that Disney may have made other adjustments.

Keep your eyes on the screen and all will be well.
Let your eyes wander and you might see your breakfast again...

I rode it twice on Saturday. the first time I sat in one of the middle seats and felt great. All I felt was the pressure of the front of my face being pushed into the back of my skull. But it was really fun.
The 2nd time I sat on the right side end seat and put my head way beck into the headrest and looked at the screen through my bi-focals. My vision was not as clear so I did feel the spinning more. It did take me a few seconds to get my head steady after adjusting my glasses but the rest of the ride was great.
I love roller coaster, and spinning rides so I was really looking forward to this ride. I was not disappointed, but it could have been longer. and they left us up on Mars!

No, it has not been toned down. Second, the ride varies by which seat you sit in along with the size of the people on the fuge with you. But even those differences arn't that big.

I "heard" that they have to "tone it down" by ramping up slower to full speed because CM's were finding loose bolts... apparently the speed was stressing the ride vehicles to the max. Riders should not notice a difference.

i can absolutely confirm it was slowed down, yes CMs were getting sick and thats why ..also its the only ride with garbage cans located near the exit when it first opened

I rode M: S last week and loved it. It wasn't quite as intense as I thought it would be but I really do believe it all depends on your own personal tolerance. I do not get motion sickness so I, therefore, didn't think it was intense but my ride partner and other riders thought it was very intense....it just depends on your vantage point!!

We rode it 1st day of the soft opening and my DH almost got sick and he's been through astronut training!!! I loved it but If DH almost gets sick then they probbaly had too. But DH did say that felt like the real thing

I rode it on Sunday, and it was pretty intense, and I can't imagine them having it any worse, and I'm a coaster freak.

I only saw one person getting sick from the ride, but yes, they do have quite large trash cans right at the exits...

I thought the ride was a bit short, but I'm sure they purposely did that for those who couldn't stomach it well.

Overall, I didn't think it had enough of preshow explanation beside just doing a training mission to mars.

This ride isn't going to save Epcot, IMO

i was alos told they have lowered the room temp so that you feel coller and stay more alert

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter