Mission Space Orange, what’s so bad?

Earningmywings

Mouseketeer
My family did Mission Space green last year and were kinda bored. We are DH, DS7 and DS4. We are considering doing orange on our trip next week. What is it that makes orange more intense? I have read about a lot of people getting motion sick. Does it shake more to simulate G Force? How is it really different? Thanks

Both green and orange have the same ride vehicles/mechanisms - Green just moves "up and down" on an arm to simulate rise and fall in space. In Orange all the ride vehicles spin while also going up and down to simulate gravitational forces. Even though your eyes say you're looking forward and your body feels the pressure back into the seat - your ears are saying that you're moving sideways and it's that sensation that causes the motion sickness. I haven't ridden orange myself but I did ride Harry Potter's ride through Hogwarts Castle and came close to rowlfing for a similar reason (as you move left while watching a screen synchronized to your movement) Fortunately I was able to see an Exit sign off to one side so I could orient myself! :) Now I'm ok with it and have ridden it multiple times without incident.

I've never done green so I don't know the differences. I was busy posting the part about spinning to produce the g-forces and how that probably affects the inner ear more than straight-line g-forces when the message popped up that there was a new post (Skywise just posted). I know that some people are dizzy (slightly?) for a period after riding orange but I've never felt it.

I have only done the orange and I thought my head was going to explode lol. I was not a fan of it at all. I don't do well with motion sickness things and that about ruined me for the rest of the day. Lesson learned. I can handle FOP fine and most of the more "intense" rides but Orange and me don't mix.

Have you ever seen a movie about space flight, where the astronauts ride in a flight simulator?

I'm specifically thinking of the movie the 'Right Stuff." though the one they ride in the movie is not enclosed.

Remember the scene where John Glenn (Ed Harris) turns green because the simulator last too long/goes too fast. Mind, the ride isn't as bad as that, but the structure of the ride and the simulator in the movie is roughly similar. Mission:S Orange is basically a mechanical flight simulator. You car is enclosed, on the end of a long arm. (I should add here, a number of rides are called "motion simulators" but they don't spin like M:S. M:S is much more like a real flight simulator because of all the real motion. the green side just tilts. Star Tours is just a box that tilts. M:S Orange riders feel real force.) I think maybe the flight simulator in the movie, "Miracle on the Hudson" also showed a flight simulator.

Other poster is correct, some folks feel ill because their brains can tell the real motion doesn't match the kind of movement that is depicted in movie.

Other folks feel fine, and for them the ride simulates what it would feel like to be propelled in a rocket.

The CM's tell riders to FACE FORWARD the whole time. If you turn your head, you are more apt to feel the mismatch and get ill.

I've done both sides, and well, both orange and green are a bit boring, IMO. Personally, while I get the other poster was trying to say, IMO M:S is quite a bit different from the HP Hogwart's castle ride.

The other reason M:S Orange got a bad wrap was because some years ago a child died after riding it. I couldn't tell you the exact specifics, but the child had a pre-existing but unknown medical condition in his brain. Something about the ride triggered a reaction that caused his death. this was back when the ride was still relatively new and it received a good deal of publicity at the time.

If you happen to go on the new HS Smugger's Run ride, well...iMO it has some similarities to M:S, except a bit better. It doesn't spin, but every rider has an actual role/impact on the outcome. Mind, SR still didn't blow us away, but it is more fun than M:Space, with less risk of throwing up.

As I said eariler though, many people are fine riding M:S. If you are prone to motion sickness, it might not be for ou. If you are fine with similar rides, try it.

When M:S first opened, some of the first to ride were real astronauts, who said to them, it felt like a real blast off, and -compared to other rides of the day - what their NASA flight simulators feltlike. (as compared to tilting box type rides like Star Tours.)

Last edited:
I would never put a 7 and 4 year old on the orange side, but that's just me. A 4 year old boy, WITH a previously unknown diagnosed heart condition, literally died on the Orange side.

I typically get motion sick on rides that spin. I have ridden Orange and there were a couple of times in which I thought I would get sick. Mainly the take off part in which I felt that if it went on for one more second I would be done. But, I made it through and have ridden Orange again. It is important to keep your focus on the screen and not look around.

Orange uses centrifugal force (spinning) to create the feeling of G forces. Green doesn't. DW and I have different opinions of Orange. I love it and have never gotten ill. She's never handled it well, even following the directions they give, and eventually stopped riding it. She shops at Mouse Gear while I do it. ;)

(On other simulators like Star Wars I have a hard time and DW handles them fine.)

So it does have a physical spinning element to it, got it. That’s what I could not figure out from other posts, if it was physics or perceived spinning. Looks like we will stick to Green. None of us have ever gotten motion sick and my 4 year old does ever ride in the parks (minus RNRC too short), but don’t want to risk ruining the rest of our day from 1 ride. Thanks everyone.

I don't get motion sick, and didn't get queasy on this, but the one time I did the orange side I found it very unpleasant. I didn't feel like I was spinning, but there was just a lot of pressure in my head/face/chest. Like, a LOT of pressure. I didn't like it. At all. DD got a little queasy. DH didn't even try it.

You're basically in a giant centrifuge. I can do orange once with little to no issues, but once I rode it twice in a row and felt nauseated for hours afterward. My dad is prone to motion sickness and won't attempt orange. My sister did it once or twice and won't do it again.

I couldn't feel any "motion spinning", but the pressure on my chest and head was extremely intense. I found it a more interesting ride than the green side, but you need to be prepared for that crushing of the insides feeling. Makes for a much more authentic experience than the green side.

My family did Mission Space green last year and were kinda bored. We are DH, DS7 and DS4. We are considering doing orange on our trip next week. What is it that makes orange more intense? I have read about a lot of people getting motion sick. Does it shake more to simulate G Force? How is it really different? Thanks

I will elaborate on the exact mechanics. Have you ever been on a "Gravitron" ride at a fair (it looks like a flying saucer). That is same sort of thing. Mission: SPACE - Orange Team, More Intense Training has the same setup as Green Team where the pods are on arms in a circular configuration, but on Orange the entire ride will spin to simulate G-forces, thus making your arms feel heavier as you reach for the buttons. It is important to note, unlike a Gravitron that sustains this consistently for a few minutes, Mission: SPACE only goes to full spin 3 times for about 15 seconds each. They happen at certain parts of the story, which is now different than the Green Team story (and more exciting). The rest of the time you will not feel much in the way of additional G-Forces (they speed it up and slow it down to simulate weightlessness compared to the high Gs you were just feeling). Anyway, that's what it does.

Some people do have issues with he feeling. You do not feel like you are "spinning" like on the tea cups or something like that because you can't see it. Like in a Gravitron, you just feel pushed back into your seat. Now, if you turn your head to the side, it can really mess with your equilibrium. The best tips are to keep your head back, face forward, and watch the screen. Do not close your eyes or turn to the side. If the screen is also making you feel nauseated focus on a light or button directly in front of you and breathe deeply steadily.

Do not take the above as a warning not to do it. For me, it doesn't bother me at all (well it murders my back, but not my stomach). There are tons of warnings before the ride and that makes some people scared. It's not actually as bad as it sounds. If you have issues with spinning rides in general, you might reconsider, but if you don't, I say go for it. I hope that's helpful.

I have done both sides and green really is boring if you have done orange. It would be fun though if you didn't have orange to compare it to. I did feel a little dizzy right after like I had gone on a spinning ride but it didn't last long. I am really looking forward to the new story line.

I'm one who never gets motion sickness or anything like that on rides. I can deal with about any coaster.

But I did Orange, and I almost reached for the barf bag. I felt so bad after the ride, I went back to the hotel and just laid there rest of the night. I felt so nauseated.

Having said that, it could have been because we had just been drinking, and I was downing a pimms cup right before we got in line lol.

But I'm too nervous to test that theory again. I'll just continue to skip it

Does it shake more to simulate G Force?

As others have said, but super-simply...it spins to create g forces.

If you follow instructions perfectly you’re likely to feel like you’re heading to spade and not feel the spinning. People who can manage to feel THAT are the ones that love it.

People like my ex and cousins husband who don’t follow instructions, or those who are just mores sensitive, don’t feel the takeoff and instead feel the spinning.

Never. Ever again. Never. The second it starts to spins you will wish you’d never set foot on it.

That’s not universal. Plenty of people love it or it wouldn’t still exist.

I asked a similar question last year for my upcoming trip but I had a 6 & 8 yr old. I got same answers as above. On the day we decided to risk it. I was so nervous going in and worried about the kids. We all thought it was good, just that, good. Nothing amazing, no sickness or uneasiness. We'd do it again but wouldn't be bothered if we didn't get to do it. I think you'd need to try yourself to see how it is. Maybe an adult in your party could try it first and then make a decision for the kids as you'd know them best x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter