Mini Trip -- September 19 - 22

Great reviews Kathy! Your pictures are wonderful. You and Mark look so great and happy!

I love your balloon idea and I'm sure your Dad does too. :hug: It's a beautiful way to honor his memory.

I think we may have to eat at the Plaza next trip!

Thank you. :hug: The Plaza is great!

AWESOME REVIEWS...I have enjoyed reading your food report. Thank you so much for sharing. You guys are such a cute couple. We love eating at Boma and CP. We have to try Fulton. Next trip we are on a DxDDP so we have to try another trip so we can go to Fulton.

Fulton's is not on the Dining Plan, unfortunately. Thanks for saying we are a cute couple. We might be "older", but we still have a great time at DW.:hug:

Thanks for all this great sharing. Vicarious Disney is great when one can't get there. Concerning mini trips, our work schedules have never allowed us to be there more than four nights, so we have a history of many quick, but delightful experiences. :laundy:

I'll take any number of "mini trips."

Thanks!

Thanks for the phenomenal reviews, Kat!

I almost want to make a ressie for The Plaza - but DH really wants Sci-Fi and to me they seem similar. Would it be worth it to go to both within one trip?

Also, it was great to see that you enjoyed Boma breakfast! We'll be staying at AKL in January and as of right now it looks as if Boma will have our breakfast bellies at least twice that trip!! I've only been there for dinner, and I couldn't do that more than once each trip - looking forward to the breakfast!

Love the photos with all the happy DISers, too!! How fun it must have been, I'm glad your impromptu trip turned out to be fantastic!!! :goodvibes

If you plan on going again soon, then just do one. If not, try to squeeze in both. Plaza's menu, with the exception of the reuben and the cheeseburger, is somewhat different and their desserts are to die for!

We had a blast with the DISers we met!

Thank you. :hug:

Kathy, Great report, thanks for the great pictures and all the time you put into the report. I've never tried Fultons (being a New Englander with the best seafood around I've been doubtful) but your review has made me put Fultons on the list for next time. I must say, the ballon in memory of your father pushed me over the edge, I'm still crying. What a beautful way to remember your Dad. My Dad died 2 years ago and still whenever I see Spectromagic (his fav.) I'm reduced to tears. Thanks again.

Monday, September 21 -- we had no ADR's. We went to Waffle House for breakfast (one of our favorites) before we went to the Dig Site pool for a few hours. Sorry I didn't take pictures at WH. I had the cheese omelet with hash browns scattered, smothered and covered (this is with onions and cheese); Mark had the cheesy eggs, grits and bacon. It was very good as always.

We headed off to Epcot. We skipped lunch as Mark wanted to try the School Bread that everyone raves about. So we got one of those and I got a cappucino. Mark enjoyed the School Bread--I wouldn't say he loved it, but he really liked it. I didn't care for it at all...but then I hate coconut (almost as much as I hate mushrooms).

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

We continued our journey around World Showcase and went to see The American Adventure (this is a must do every trip for us). We were hungry after this and decided to just eat at the Liberty Inn. I know this place gets a lot of bad reviews, but we have never had a bad meal here. I actually think the cheeseburgers are better here than at Pecos Bills.

The place was literally empty. No one eating inside or outside (although it was super hot/humid outside); after we ordered a few more people walked in. Mark had the bacon cheeseburger and I had the chicken strips. Both were very good.

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

After eating here, we continued on our journey through the countries. We decided to stop in France and look in the bakery and see what they were offering today. Mark wanted to try the chocolate eclair so we got one of those and another cappucino for me. Mark REALLY liked this; I didn't care for it, but I'm not a big fan of eclairs--especially the filling inside.

IMG_2496.jpg

Since I didn't care for the eclair, I decided to get popcorn while we watched Illuminations.

Tuesday, September 22 -- last day for us to spend at the parks before we head to Marco Island. Lunch at the Plaza at 2:15 on this day.

We had breakfast in the room while I finished packing. We loaded up the car and headed over to the MK to be there for the opening show by the railroad station. We did a bunch of rides, Mark had a Mickey Bar prior to heading over to Big Thunder and Splash Mountain (and I'm such a MEAN mom that I took a picture of it with my phone and sent it to our youngest son--knowing he was in class--just to tick him off; Mickey bars have ALWAYS been his favorite and he's not been there in nine years (he's 21 now).

IMG_2563.jpg

We then did some photopass pictures. We were done with everything we wanted to do and still had about 90 minutes prior to our ADR at The Plaza so we took the monorail over to the Polynesian (our favorite deluxe) and walked around and I found a gift for a dear friend of mine there. We took the monorail back and arrived at the Plaza around 2:00.

IMG_2609.jpg

We were no sooner given our beeper and were brought in to be seated. We had a wonderful waitress who was very efficient and friendly. It was really hot again and Mark and I each got a diet coke; we'd finished those off in record time and our waitress brought refills when she came to get our order for lunch. Since Mark had the reuben at the Sci-Fi he didn't want another so he was having a hard time deciding what he wanted. We ended up both ordering the Plaza Club. I made Mark get his with the chips and I got mine with the fries. I really like the fries here--I think they are the best in all of Disney, but I also love the chips so we shared.

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

After eating these huge sandwiches you would not think we would have room for dessert. But you CANNOT go to the Plaza and NOT have dessert. So Mark just wanted Chocolate Ice Cream and this is what they brought him:

IMG_2616.jpg

I ordered a Hot Fudge Sundae, minus the whip cream and cherry, and they gave me extra Hot Fudge:

IMG_2617.jpg

Oh....I do LOVE me a good Hot Fudge Sundae! :love:

We were talking to one of the hosts and he asked us if we'd been to The Plaza before and told him that it has become a tradition that this is the last meal we have before heading to the airport or the beach or wherever we are going after leaving Disney. He was thrilled to hear it and wished us a Happy Anniversary and asked if we'd like him to take our picture, and we said, of course:

IMG_2615.jpg

Just as we finished up paying the bill, we heard that the parade was starting. We were going to leave and head for Marco Island but decided to stay for the new parade. So before it started coming by The Plaza, I ran and got my popcorn in a bucket to take on the trip to Marco and ran back to meet Mark to watch the parade. As the parade ended, I decided to make it a yearly tradition to get a balloon as we leave and give it to a child in memory of my dad. We found a wonderful couple with their five year old daughter. I excused myself and explained what it was that I was doing (I did much better this year--although I had tears in my eyes, I wasn't hysterical and was actually coherent and you could actually understand what I was saying). The wonderful couple asked about my dad and what his name was and said they'd say a special prayer for him and had their daughter give me a hug. It was a nice way to end our trip to Disney.

Up next, we return to Orlando from Marco Island on Monday, September 28 and plan on shopping at Downtown Disney. We have dinner ressies at Fulton's and breakfast at Boma on Tuesday before heading to Orlando International Airport.

Kat, what a wonderful tradition. You brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing how many little "traditions" we all have at Disney. So glad you were able to go "home".

As the parade ended, I decided to make it a yearly tradition to get a balloon as we leave and give it to a child in memory of my dad. We found a wonderful couple with their five year old daughter. I excused myself and explained what it was that I was doing (I did much better this year--although I had tears in my eyes, I wasn't hysterical and was actually coherent and you could actually understand what I was saying). The wonderful couple asked about my dad and what his name was and said they'd say a special prayer for him and had their daughter give me a hug. It was a nice way to end our trip to Disney.

Kathy, how wonderful...another teary moment.:hug: The first time I read through I missed this part of the story b/c I was so taken with the picture of you & Mark at the Plaza. Goodness, does that mean I skimmed?? ;)

I know you will not be surprised to learn (that) I do the same in honor of Toby ~ he so loved the MK as a child and giving a balloon to a child seemed so right. I have done each visit since he passed, but have told no one until now....I know you understand.

I am always shy when it comes to finding a family and never sure how much to say. So I usually say something to the effect that my little boy loved WDW and like to share my memories with another child with a balloon.

Beautiful, Kathy. :hug:

Just as we finished up paying the bill, we heard that the parade was starting. We were going to leave and head for Marco Island but decided to stay for the new parade. So before it started coming by The Plaza, I ran and got my popcorn in a bucket to take on the trip to Marco and ran back to meet Mark to watch the parade. As the parade ended, I decided to make it a yearly tradition to get a balloon as we leave and give it to a child in memory of my dad. We found a wonderful couple with their five year old daughter. I excused myself and explained what it was that I was doing (I did much better this year--although I had tears in my eyes, I wasn't hysterical and was actually coherent and you could actually understand what I was saying). The wonderful couple asked about my dad and what his name was and said they'd say a special prayer for him and had their daughter give me a hug. It was a nice way to end our trip to Disney..

:hug: I missed that part of the story as well - I was caught up in the photos, the food and the fun... what a beautiful way to honor your father's memory.

3 weeks ago my father had a heart attack. He had a bypass done that same week, and now he's recovering. Do you know what he keeps asking?

"When are you taking me to Disney World?" :goodvibes

Unfortunately he can't come with us in January, he has a business obligation - but the Happiest Place on Earth has kept him in good spirits, just the prospect of going back there has put a smile on his face, and the memories of going when I was a child are what we shared while he was in the hospital.

Walt sure has made us a magical place...

Kathy, thanks for a Yummy food report! That is so sweet that you give a child a baloon in memory of your Dad. What a great tradition.:littleangel:

I'm glad you got to meet so many Disers! thank you so much for sharing all the great pictures.

Kathy, Great report, thanks for the great pictures and all the time you put into the report. I've never tried Fultons (being a New Englander with the best seafood around I've been doubtful) but your review has made me put Fultons on the list for next time. I must say, the ballon in memory of your father pushed me over the edge, I'm still crying. What a beautful way to remember your Dad. My Dad died 2 years ago and still whenever I see Spectromagic (his fav.) I'm reduced to tears. Thanks again.

I've never been to the New England area, but I've heard you have wonderful seafood. We have never had a bad meal at Fulton's...and I think you should give it a try. And thanks for the word about my balloon memory and I know what you mean about Spectromagic...it reduces you to tears.

Kat, what a wonderful tradition. You brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing how many little "traditions" we all have at Disney. So glad you were able to go "home".

Thank you so much.

Kathy, how wonderful...another teary moment.:hug: The first time I read through I missed this part of the story b/c I was so taken with the picture of you & Mark at the Plaza. Goodness, does that mean I skimmed?? ;)

I know you will not be surprised to learn (that) I do the same in honor of Toby ~ he so loved the MK as a child and giving a balloon to a child seemed so right. I have done each visit since he passed, but have told no one until now....I know you understand.

I am always shy when it comes to finding a family and never sure how much to say. So I usually say something to the effect that my little boy loved WDW and like to share my memories with another child with a balloon.

Beautiful, Kathy. :hug:

Thanks, Christine (and no, I don't think you skimmed...Pickles don't skim :rotfl: ) and I'm not surprised at all that you do the same for Toby. :hug:

:hug: I missed that part of the story as well - I was caught up in the photos, the food and the fun... what a beautiful way to honor your father's memory.

3 weeks ago my father had a heart attack. He had a bypass done that same week, and now he's recovering. Do you know what he keeps asking?

"When are you taking me to Disney World?" :goodvibes

Unfortunately he can't come with us in January, he has a business obligation - but the Happiest Place on Earth has kept him in good spirits, just the prospect of going back there has put a smile on his face, and the memories of going when I was a child are what we shared while he was in the hospital.

Walt sure has made us a magical place...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but glad to know that he is recovering. Please keep me posted and I'll keep him in my prayers. Walt should be proud of that magical place he made for us.

Kathy, thanks for a Yummy food report! That is so sweet that you give a child a baloon in memory of your Dad. What a great tradition.:littleangel:

I'm glad you got to meet so many Disers! thank you so much for sharing all the great pictures.

Glad you enjoyed the food report. I think Dad would have liked what I've done.

Loved the food reviews and am so glad I was able to eat with you guys at Bomas. You're right it was very good. I already have another ADR to eat there in Dec with my mom and husband. Glad you guys had a good trip!

Loved your food report, and the pics of you and Mark :thumbsup2
The Plaza is our fav in MK :lovestruc Except for this last (short) trip, it's always a must do for us... although Cosmic Rays, and CHH are close 2nd and 3rd

Loved the food reviews and am so glad I was able to eat with you guys at Bomas. You're right it was very good. I already have another ADR to eat there in Dec with my mom and husband. Glad you guys had a good trip!

Good for you that you get to go back to Boma! Have a gallon of juice for me, please. :rotfl2:

Loved your food report, and the pics of you and Mark :thumbsup2
The Plaza is our fav in MK :lovestruc Except for this last (short) trip, it's always a must do for us... although Cosmic Rays, and CHH are close 2nd and 3rd

Thanks. We love Cosmic Rays and CHH too (with the exception of Mark's most recent meal at Cosmic Rays).

I'm glad you both enjoyed the food reviews.

Kathy, loved your trip report and loved your dining report. Yum all the way!
The Plaza is definately on the list for us for another time. Future...way future. Must say on track. No planning for me (I need to keep convincing myself of this!)

I agree with everyone else that the tradition to give a child a balloon in your father's memory is so touching and healing to spread some pixie dust!

Thanks for sharing!

Kathy, loved your trip report and loved your dining report. Yum all the way!
The Plaza is definately on the list for us for another time. Future...way future. Must say on track. No planning for me (I need to keep convincing myself of this!)

I agree with everyone else that the tradition to give a child a balloon in your father's memory is so touching and healing to spread some pixie dust!

Thanks for sharing!

Yes...no Disney planning for you...Hawaii or Alaksa are on the radar. ;)
Glad you enjoyed the reviews.

I can't believe I didnt find your DR til today. I'm really enjoying all of your reviews. You and Mark are so cute. :goodvibes

I made Mark get his with the chips and I got mine with the fries. I really like the fries here--I think they are the best in all of Disney, but I also love the chips so we shared.

IMG_2614.jpg

As the parade ended, I decided to make it a yearly tradition to get a balloon as we leave and give it to a child in memory of my dad. We found a wonderful couple with their five year old daughter. I excused myself and explained what it was that I was doing (I did much better this year--although I had tears in my eyes, I wasn't hysterical and was actually coherent and you could actually understand what I was saying). The wonderful couple asked about my dad and what his name was and said they'd say a special prayer for him and had their daughter give me a hug. It was a nice way to end our trip to Disney.

Those fries look AWESOME! They used to have big thick ones like that at CHH, but now have the skinny, skins-on ones. I am thrilled to see the thick ones at the Plaza! I wonder if they would make a "to go" order for me, so I could have that with my Corn Dog Nuggets from Casey's...:cloud9:

Your balloon story made me cry!! What a WONDERFUL thing to do in honor of your Dad! :hug:

Don't ask me...I've only been married to him 26 years and don't understand what he's talking about half the time.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Love it!!!

Wonderful reviews! Glad you had so many successful meals! Thanks for sharing it all.

Those fries look AWESOME! They used to have big thick ones like that at CHH, but now have the skinny, skins-on ones. I am thrilled to see the thick ones at the Plaza! I wonder if they would make a "to go" order for me, so I could have that with my Corn Dog Nuggets from Casey's...:cloud9:

Certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

Your balloon story made me cry!! What a WONDERFUL thing to do in honor of your Dad! :hug:

Thank you.

Wonderful reviews! Glad you had so many successful meals! Thanks for sharing it all.

My pleasure. Is tomorrow the big day...the last day of work?

I ordered a Hot Fudge Sundae, minus the whip cream and cherry, and they gave me extra Hot Fudge:

IMG_2617.jpg

Oh....I do LOVE me a good Hot Fudge Sundae! :love:

YAY! :woohoo: I found someone else who doesn't order whip cream on their hot fudge sundaes. I find the whip cream takes away from the taste of hot fudge & ice cream. My DF always makes fun of me for this, but I am very particular about my sundaes. :lmao:

I really need to make an ADR for the Plaza the next time I go to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter