Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

Phew! Lots of plans. And a fair bit of anxiety to got with them!

Loving seeing everyone getting back to the parks and having fun....wishing I had a Disney trip in the works...but...someday!!!
Someday is right. When???? :faint:
I DO have a trip coming up...to take my son to Boston and to help him move into his dorm room!!
Oh, nice!
I did look at restrictions a while back and thought of you when I saw the clause about US school-going Canadians.
Went to Niagara Falls a few weeks ago for the day...and even that felt like venturing wayyy far from home (even though it's only just over an hour's drive!)
Love going there. And Niagara on the Lake too.
Supposedly something in terms of land border restrictions may or may not change on August 21st,
Don't hold your breath too much. They have had these border restriction dates all along since it closed last year. They simply keep renewing it. It may open ... and it may just as easily not. And I'm actually thinking "not" is more likely with the massive spike in cases they have down there. And I could just as easily be wrong.
He is 18 and technically could go by himself...except for the little detail that he only has a learner's permit for a drivers licence so can't drive alone, plus the car is not his, nor does he have anywhere to keep it in Boston even if all that were possible.
Hmmm... I think... I'd just say "I'm taking my son to school." and not volunteer his age unless directly asked.
plan B is that we turn around and drive back home (about an hour and a bit) and then regroup, and get plane tickets, and figure out how to ship the crap ton of stuff to him.
Ugh! That's quite some plan B!
IF they do let us into the land of the free
But not necessarily free to enter. :rolleyes:
Maybe if we can get a ground floor room in a motel type situation...and then just unload computer and other valuables but leave the bulk of it in the car? Anyone have thoughts on this?
Definitely take electronics/valuables in if you can. I've never worried about anything in the trunk as it's out of sight. Don't leave anything on the seats if you can. Try to park in a spot that's close to the hotel and in a well lit spot. Close to the door is even better.

Love going there. And Niagara on the Lake too.

Yes Niagara on the Lake is so pretty. We actually went through it both on the way to the falls and on the way home, because my son wanted to practice his driving, so the smaller 2 lane road from NOTL to Niagara Falls was perfect, so he did that portion both ways before we got on the major highways. We also stopped at a winery to pick up some wine for gifts (and for home lol)

And I'm actually thinking "not" is more likely with the massive spike in cases they have down there. And I could just as easily be wrong.

Yes, you are likely gonna be right, even though I'm crossing fingers otherwise. Though it is ridiculous that they US would not let Canadians in because they have way more cases than we do...and yet...we are letting their (vaccinated) selves into our country for recreation...ahem...but we shall see!

Hmmm... I think... I'd just say "I'm taking my son to school." and not volunteer his age unless directly asked.

Yeah I don't usually volunteer any additional info...except they will likely also have his passport in hand so...no hiding the age lol But let's hope they don't put two and two together lol

Definitely take electronics/valuables in if you can. I've never worried about anything in the trunk as it's out of sight. Don't leave anything on the seats if you can. Try to park in a spot that's close to the hotel and in a well lit spot. Close to the door is even better.

Yeah we will be in an SUV so the contents of the back will be pretty visible to anyone looking...it will be obvious that there is a carload full of dorm stuff....which I would rather not have to unload in it's entirety and risk not getting it all back in lol ...but yes, taking out valuables is probably wise!

Yes Niagara on the Lake is so pretty. We actually went through it both on the way to the falls and on the way home, because my son wanted to practice his driving, so the smaller 2 lane road from NOTL to Niagara Falls was perfect, so he did that portion both ways before we got on the major highways.
Know the road. :)
We also stopped at a winery to pick up some wine for gifts (and for home lol)
Nice. Which one? I've been to a few.
Yes, you are likely gonna be right, even though I'm crossing fingers otherwise. Though it is ridiculous that they US would not let Canadians in because they have way more cases than we do...and yet...we are letting their (vaccinated) selves into our country for recreation...ahem...but we shall see!
The irony is not lost on me.
Yeah I don't usually volunteer any additional info...except they will likely also have his passport in hand so...no hiding the age lol But let's hope they don't put two and two together lol
I don't think it has his age, just his birthdate. Hopefully (since he's only 18), he won't want to trouble himself with the math. Or maybe it won't even matter at all. Fingers crossed!
Yeah we will be in an SUV so the contents of the back will be pretty visible to anyone looking...it will be obvious that there is a carload full of dorm stuff....which I would rather not have to unload in it's entirety and risk not getting it all back in lol ...but yes, taking out valuables is probably wise!
Maybe you could at least throw a blanket over the stuff in the back?

Nice. Which one? I've been to a few.

It was the Two Sisters Vineyards. Such a beautiful place. I would have liked to stay for a tour, but in the days of Covid (at least here anyway) nothing is happening without a reservation well in advance. So we wandered around the parking lot a bit and took some pics and then went to the shop for our gifts and that was it. One day I'd like to go back. Sad that I live so close to all this and have never actually done one of the tours. I've gone to a couple of the vineyard restaurants for dinner and they are usually fantastic, so, one day, I'd like to do it right!

I don't think it has his age, just his birthdate. Hopefully (since he's only 18), he won't want to trouble himself with the math. Or maybe it won't even matter at all. Fingers crossed!

Very good point. Had not thought of that! Crossing fingers too!!

Maybe you could at least throw a blanket over the stuff in the back?

Yes that is a good idea!! I will just take out one of his bed blankets that we have packed!

Well I don't have tons of news, but did want to update for anyone reading...shockingly...the land border did NOT open for Canadians wanting to drive into the US on August 21st. Americans (vaccinated with a neg covid test) are free to drive into our home and native land...but we Canadians can not. This just baffles my mind when covid cases in the USA are more than 10 times what they are in Canada, even if you account for the fact that the US has 10 times the population! I just don't get it. Since this clearly isn't based in science....I still can't even figure out the political motivation for this??? Anyone???

ANYWAY....so as it stands though...even though the land borders are technically closed...I'm still planning to attempt to drive my son across the border at Buffalo and to Boston departing on August 31 just in case of any issues. I did some more research in hopes that I'm reasonably certain (though nothing these days is 100%) that we will be allowed into the US.

First I looked on the USBS website, where it says that those who are entering the US for work or study are indeed considered essential and will be permitted to enter. The part I wasn't sure about was whether or not they would let me drive my son, since he is 18 and technically could travel by himself (though without a car or drivers licence that may have been a challenge...but I digress..) So. That was the one question, and I was really worried that this may leave us just at the discretion of whatever customs agent we might drive up to and how their day was going so far!! There was no clear info to be found on this point.

BUT not one to give up easily...I found a phone number on the USBS website and gave it a ring. I got a nice guy on the phone, who actually gave me the info to be able to directly call the Buffalo port of entry that manages the entry at all three possible bridges that we could cross over on. He told me that while unfortunately it isn't in writing anywhere, that the rule is that ONE family member will be permitted to drive a student across the border into the US - obviously provided that we have all the requisite paperwork showing his student visa etc and required documents and passport etc. I asked him more than once if he was sure and he said yes, and I also persisted and asked him if that rule would be the same no matter which bridge or customs agent we happened upon...and he insisted that YES, we would be allowed to cross provided all our documentation is in order. It still seems pretty strange to me that this isn't in writing anywhere...but I guess we are living in strange times. I actually made my mom call the number back a day later to make sure she'd get the same answer...and she did lol. So that made me feel a little better. So while the thought of the drive across the border next week still gives me some anxiety...it's a little less than before, so that's something!!

In case anyone's interested...since now this trip is hopefully becoming more real, I decided to make some more plans since nothing these days happens without a reservation....

I made a reservation for a patio dinner at Boston Chops which is supposed to be good. I really feel much more comfortable with outdoor dining these days and even though I'm sure for one or two meals we may not have a choice...I'm hoping that the weather will be conducive to having this meal outdoors as it will be much more enjoyable!!

Also, purchased timed entry tickets to the New England Aquarium. I have been there before but my son has not, and I remember really liking in when I went about 10 years ago. For some reason I remember the penguin exhibit most, and remember it being the best viewing of penguins I had seen, so I'm looking forward to seeing that again...hopefully my memory isn't playing tricks on me!

It still amazes me (and not in a good way) that it is almost the end of August 2021. And that covid is still a thing. I had really hoped that it would be long gone by the time it was time for my son to go to university and my daughter to go back to school. Ugh. Trying to make the best of it of course!!

Well I don't have tons of news, but did want to update for anyone reading...shockingly...the land border did NOT open for Canadians wanting to drive into the US on August 21st. Americans (vaccinated with a neg covid test) are free to drive into our home and native land...but we Canadians can not. This just baffles my mind when covid cases in the USA are more than 10 times what they are in Canada, even if you account for the fact that the US has 10 times the population! I just don't get it. Since this clearly isn't based in science....I still can't even figure out the political motivation for this??? Anyone???
I have been thinking about this a lot and my take on it is that they would have to open both borders at the same time (north and south). So maybe they want to wait until they open the border with Mexico at the same time? who knows....
He told me that while unfortunately it isn't in writing anywhere, that the rule is that ONE family member will be permitted to drive a student across the border into the US - obviously provided that we have all the requisite paperwork showing his student visa etc and required documents and passport etc.
That sounds hopeful!
It still amazes me (and not in a good way) that it is almost the end of August 2021. And that covid is still a thing. I had really hoped that it would be long gone by the time it was time for my son to go to university and my daughter to go back to school. Ugh. Trying to make the best of it of course!!
Right???? I was so optimistic for the school year earlier this summer. Now....not so much!

I have been thinking about this a lot and my take on it is that they would have to open both borders at the same time (north and south). So maybe they want to wait until they open the border with Mexico at the same time? who knows....

Yeah this has occurred to me too...and maybe the reason...but it still doesn't really make sense. I'm not sure you can compare Mexico and Canada and try to call it equal for this purpose...but who the heck knows the thinking there....if they are waiting to be able to open Mexico at the same time...we are in for a long wait sadly...because the Mexico/US border has bigger problems than even covid unfortunately....

Right???? I was so optimistic for the school year earlier this summer. Now....not so much!

I know!! Cases were down and it looked good...now...ugh.

I completely missed this one - good luck with the college move-in road trip! And thanks for all the comments on Boston college move-in stuff, since dd is now looking at a school there. I hadn't even thought about some of the craziness involved when you have that many colleges all near each other! (But I'm not gonna worry about *her* move quite yet - she's looking at a bunch of places, and who knows what will happen).

I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

As for us, we haven't gone many places far from home, either. I'm still trying to be cautious, and dh is a bit less cautious than me, so we shall see how it all goes.

I completely missed this one - good luck with the college move-in road trip! And thanks for all the comments on Boston college move-in stuff, since dd is now looking at a school there. I hadn't even thought about some of the craziness involved when you have that many colleges all near each other! (But I'm not gonna worry about *her* move quite yet - she's looking at a bunch of places, and who knows what will happen).

I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

As for us, we haven't gone many places far from home, either. I'm still trying to be cautious, and dh is a bit less cautious than me, so we shall see how it all goes.

Hey thanks for stopping by!! Yes the moving to Boston thing ...I learned a lot of great tips on the "Dorm Chatter" FB group...may wanna join that one if you have a soon to be dorm dweller :) How old is your daughter? I'm excited for my son because I'm told that Boston is such a great place to go to school with so many colleges there. Under normal circumstances I would be even more thrilled, but with covid...the anxiety puts a bit of a damper on it...

It's gonna be very weird to be out of my little bubble..good weird I hope...but also don't want to take unnecessary risks. I will be the one wearing my mask anywhere indoors whether required or not. I fully expect to get flak for it but whatevs!!

...I learned a lot of great tips on the "Dorm Chatter" FB group...may wanna join that one if you have a soon to be dorm dweller. How old is your daughter?
She's a senior, so still trying to figure out exactly where she is applying. It may be premature to join a FB group now, since it'll be a while. I do also have a college junior in a dorm, so it won't be completely new. But, he's nearby, so it will be a lot different if she's halfway across the country!

I'm excited for my son because I'm told that Boston is such a great place to go to school with so many colleges there.
It does seem like it could be! We visited back in 2015 for a different reason, and dd liked her short visit, even tho we didn't visit any colleges. (I purposefully didn't rent a car, and stayed walking distance to the tournament location, but we did get a Charlie card and explored a little bit).

I will be the one wearing my mask anywhere indoors whether required or not. I fully expect to get flak for it but whatevs!!
I highly doubt you will get any flak in Boston or the northeast for wearing a mask, tbh. It might be different in rural areas, but I think in general, the northeast is pretty cautious about Covid, esp since they got it first (in the US).

She's a senior, so still trying to figure out exactly where she is applying. It may be premature to join a FB group now, since it'll be a while. I do also have a college junior in a dorm, so it won't be completely new. But, he's nearby, so it will be a lot different if she's halfway across the country!

Yeah so you know the drill already lol. I'm a sucker for FB groups and meeting people from all over. The "Grown and Flown" group is also good for parents of older kids/young adults if you are into that lol

It does seem like it could be! We visited back in 2015 for a different reason, and dd liked her short visit, even tho we didn't visit any colleges. (I purposefully didn't rent a car, and stayed walking distance to the tournament location, but we did get a Charlie card and explored a little bit).

Yeah I think exploring on the T with a Charlie card is the way to go. We will have our car this time because of move in, but I fully intend not to move the car after that because I've heard the driving is hellish.

I highly doubt you will get any flak in Boston or the northeast for wearing a mask, tbh. It might be different in rural areas, but I think in general, the northeast is pretty cautious about Covid, esp since they got it first (in the US).

Hope you are right! We did just get an email from his school saying that masks are required indoors everywhere except inside dorm rooms or when actively eating or drinking in dining areas. So that's good I think.

the land border did NOT open for Canadians wanting to drive into the US on August 21st.
And... I kept telling people that it wouldn't. But people seemed to think that because it expired on that date that meant they were opening. They've had lots of those dates. They just extend. This wasn't any different.
This just baffles my mind when covid cases in the USA are more than 10 times what they are in Canada,
And that's why it's closed. Up here our numbers are down which means our ICU/hospitals aren't being overwhelmed. There are spaces available. But in the US, there are hospitals that are critically over filled. They can't afford to let more people in on the chance that those people take up desperately needed beds.

I think people have forgotten the early warnings of Covid. Remember "Flatten the curve"?? It was never about stopping Covid, it was about slowing the spread enough that instead of having 10,000 people sick at once and inundating a hospital, it was to spread that 10K out over several months so the hospitals could cope. That hasn't changed.
Right now, our curve is relatively flat. Especially compared with the US. We can take more. They can't.
I still can't even figure out the political motivation for this??? Anyone???
See above.
I'm still planning to attempt to drive my son across the border at Buffalo and to Boston departing on August 31
Oh gosh! That's today! Hope it went okay.
I found a phone number on the USBS website and gave it a ring. I got a nice guy on the phone, who actually gave me the info to be able to directly call the Buffalo port of entry that manages the entry at all three possible bridges that we could cross over on. He told me that while unfortunately it isn't in writing anywhere, that the rule is that ONE family member will be permitted to drive a student across the border into the US - obviously provided that we have all the requisite paperwork showing his student visa etc and required documents and passport etc. I asked him more than once if he was sure and he said yes, and I also persisted and asked him if that rule would be the same no matter which bridge or customs agent we happened upon...and he insisted that YES, we would be allowed to cross provided all our documentation is in order.
Glad you got that info! Hopefully it worked out.

And... I kept telling people that it wouldn't. But people seemed to think that because it expired on that date that meant they were opening. They've had lots of those dates. They just extend. This wasn't any different.

Makes sense. And I can continue to hope that maybe on Sept 21 they will open lol....next time I'm hoping to cross is around Oct 22...we shall see...but for that I can fly if needed...

Oh gosh! That's today! Hope it went okay.

Made it!!! I will share more of a TR later if I get around to it but...made it across. Relatively easy...especially since the land border is officially closed going Canada to US, so there was no one there....we pulled up, showed our ID and explained why we were going, and they sent us to a parking spot and then we had to go into the customs and immigration office. We had to show all our paperwork...student VISA and passports etc, and then they took my son's photo and fingerprinted him, we had to pay a $6.00 fee, not entirely sure why but that's ok, I'll take it lol..and then they sent us on our way.

Immediately upon entering the US, you can feel/see a change in the number of people wearing masks and the people gathering in larger groups without any sense of personal space/distancing...that was a little unnerving. I've been double masking everywhere.

Makes sense. And I can continue to hope that maybe on Sept 21 they will open lol....next time I'm hoping to cross is around Oct 22...we shall see...but for that I can fly if needed...
We shall see... losing hope, though. :(
Made it!!! I will share more of a TR later if I get around to it but...made it across. Relatively easy...especially since the land border is officially closed going Canada to US, so there was no one there....we pulled up, showed our ID and explained why we were going, and they sent us to a parking spot and then we had to go into the customs and immigration office. We had to show all our paperwork...student VISA and passports etc, and then they took my son's photo and fingerprinted him, we had to pay a $6.00 fee, not entirely sure why but that's ok, I'll take it lol..and then they sent us on our way.
That's great! And easy, too. :)
Immediately upon entering the US, you can feel/see a change in the number of people wearing masks and the people gathering in larger groups without any sense of personal space/distancing...that was a little unnerving. I've been double masking everywhere.
Yikes. But... I guess I'm not overly surprised.

Hellooo DisPeeps...

Survived road trip to Boston so will give a little (try to be brief) TR in case anyone is so inclined to read about it!!

Tuesday Aug 31 - Left Toronto about 8:30AM with a very full car full of my son's worldly possessions. There would be no hiding the fact that this was a full car...so I was a little worried about what we would do when we stopped for the night...But we were off. Drove the first leg to Buffalo. I have done this drive a million times, but because I was pretty anxious about the whole thing, I put "Queenston-Lewiston Bridge" into Google maps so I would not have to think about directions. Only...somehow Google maps led us to somewhere in Niagara on the lake but not the entrance to the bridge. I'm wondering if it gave us the runaround because technically the border is closed? I have no idea. But we got to the end of the directions and were clearly nowhere near the bridge lol. So we drove into Niagara Falls the town..and pulled into the parking lot of a cheesy gift shop to get our bearings! My son wasn't happy about this, but as we pulled into the lot, it occurred to me that assuming we made it across the border, I should bring some little Canadiana souveniers for our American family that we would be seeing in the coming days, so since we were there anyway...we went in and picked up some little bottles of Maple syrup perfectly packaged with maple leafs on the outside. After that little pit stop, we got back in the car and decided to just try the Rainbow Bridge since we were now closest to that one.

It was a bit disorienting to drive over the bridge with no other cars there and only one lane open. We drive up and the customs agent asked why we were wanting to enter the US. We explained that my son was going to school in Boston and after looking at our passports, the agent instructed us to pull over and park off to the side, and then go into the immigration and border control office with all our paperwork. We did as we were told and headed into the office. When we went in, there was a waiting room and a few people sitting there and we weren't really sure what to do...so we took a seat. After a minute or two, a customs agent called our names (seemed magical at the time, but of course the agent outside had passed along our info...) and we headed in to the desk. The customs agent asked for our passports again, and my son's student visa paperwork as well as his acceptance letter from his university and a couple of other documents that we had. Once they confirmed that everything was in order, we were instructed to pay a $6.00 fee - not entirely sure what for, but I'll take it!! Then they finger printed my son and took his picture, and then they gave all our paperwork back, and we were off!! It was pretty easy actually, and much quicker than it usually is when crossing the border!! But I still want the "old" days back lol!!

By the time we were past the border and back on the road, it was getting close to lunch time. We decided to stop for an early lunch and break after the stress of the morning, and also in hopes that any restaurants would not yet be crowded, since up here in these parts we are pretty leary of indoor dining and crowded places!! We found an Applebees that was just about to open at noon and fit the bill.

Interestingly enough...there was a sign in the door that said "masks required for our unvaccinated guests, masks optional for vaccinated guests" interesting. I have seen this a few times now and it doesn't make much sense to me. Anywhoooo....luckily the restaurant was empty when we arrived. We had our masks on anyway until we placed our orders. I had a strawberry chicken salad and a raspberry lemonade and my son had some fried shrimp. I think the lemonade was the best part of the meal, and I got a refill to go!

During the planning of this trip..we had hoped that my son, with only his G2 licence, would be able to help with the driving. He has not had any practice with freeways with on/off ramps and high speeds, but has done the 2 lane 80km/hr type roads a lot. But I didn't realize that the entire trip from Toronto-Boston would be on highways with more lanes and very high speeds. At least...the drivers were flying, whether or not the limit was higher or not....a lot of times I was cruising at a good 120km/h and people were flying by me like I was standing still. So...I had to do ALL the driving. The good news is, because I knew that I did not want to drive into Boston in the dark, we had planned to stop in Albany on the way and do some shopping and stop in a hotel. We got to our hotel around 4:00pm and checked in.

The one important thing on our shopping list was a dorm fridge. Who knew that the week before school started it would prove such a hard task to find a dorm fridge lol? I had an idea this may not be easy...but we really did not have a choice about waiting until then because we did not want to buy this in Toronto in case we didn't get across the border by car and had to turn around and fly. Anyway..we tried Best Buy, Target, Home Depot, Walmart, and finally found one remaining fridge at Lowe's. It wasn't the exact one my son wanted because it doesn't have a freezer, but at that point, it would have to do. The next hurdle was trying to fit it into our already stuffed car. We had to rearrange a few things, and take the fridge out of its box, but eventually we managed to wedge it in there. Unfortunately this meant no more seeing out the rear window for the remaining part of the drive to Boston.

After getting the fridge, we headed back to our hotel room and ordered some dinner from GrubHub. We ordered from this place called Smokey Bones. I got a brisket sandwich and my son got ribs. Unfortunately his ribs weren't as he expected so he didn't like them too much, but he ate his fries and said they were good. After watching some trashy TV we hit the sack.

Mini Boston Road Trip TR continued....

Wednesday September 1st - despite some protests from my 18 year old DS...we got up around 8am with the plan to be out of the room before 9am. In case anyone is interested, we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Albany Thruway. For us, this was the perfect pit stop. It was about 6 1/2 hours from Toronto with border crossing, and was in the middle of a mecca of big box shopping and American chain restaurant goodness lol. It also is home to what I'm told is the nation's biggest Walmart...although sadly their selection of dorm fridges was not very big! The hotel also is right next to a Dunkin' donuts which made for the perfect breakfast because the hotel's restaurant was still closed thanks to covid. While my son was protesting getting out of bed, I went over and got a cold brew and their version of a sausage mcmuffin, and some donuts for the boy, and went back to the room to eat while watching trashy morning TV in the room.

After breakfast, we packed up and hit the road. Oh, in case anyone was wondering what we did about the "leaving everything my son owns in the car overnight" dilemma...we ended up leaving it all in the car except his backpack with his laptop in it. There was no covering anything up as the car was so full. However, the friendly guy at the hotel check in said that their parking lot was very safe and they had never had any issues, so we hoped for the best, and luckily did not have any issues. We hit the road around 9:15am.

Around 11:30am we decided to start looking for a rest stop to hopefully beat the lunch rush, and grab some food and fill up on gas before hitting the insanity that we expected to be the Boston area. That was easier said than done though...there were very few rest stops on this road, or maybe I just managed to miss seeing them. It was raining - perhaps the remnants of hurricane Ida coming up that way, but it was not a nice day. It was this heavy rain with very misty fog, and that was not helped by the dozens of trucks on the road constantly splashing rain up onto the windshield. It was definitely not my fave type of driving conditions. Anyway...we eventually found a rest stop that had a variety of food options and a gas station. We went in and my son went with McDonalds but I wanted to try something different. I ended up going to a grilled cheese place where the menu looked good but I was rather disturbed to notice after I had already ordered and paid that the person making the food was not wearing a mask. Ugh. Then looked around and ...most of the patrons at the rest stop were not masked either...ugh. Very unsettling for this covid-traumatized Canadian. We got our food and found a little used area in a back corner to remove our masks and inhale our lunch before heading out again.

We pulled into the Boston area around 1:30pm...but still had to navigate the dreaded tunnel into the city. I am used to driving in traffic and cities...but this was not fun. I found it pretty unnerving...people going very fast, multiple lanes with no shoulder and exits everywhere...and no shoulder should something go wrong. Yuck. I was very relieved to see sunlight again when we emerged from that tunnel and made it outside and weren't too far from our hotel by that point. Soon we were pulling up to the valet at the Kimpton Nine-Zero. This was an amazing hotel in a perfect location for our purposes...and also one that I likely won't get to stay in again unless I rack up a crazy amount of points on my credit card - as that's how I paid for it this time!! For the move in, it was one of the few hotels that had valet parking (or really parking of any kind) in the downtown Boston area. Even better, the parking lot was next door and we were able to go retrieve items from the car if needed. This came in handy because again, we didn't want to unload the whole car before my son's dorm move in which was still a couple of days away.

Once the car was safely stowed and we got checked in, we decided to check out the area. We were surrounded by my son's school buildings (Suffolk University) which has buildings all around downtown. We walked over to his dorm and were very lucky that some of the RA's were around and we were able to get in and see his room. It was everything he had hoped for and more!! A great sized room and an incredible view, right in the middle of the city. He was so thrilled. As was I. We hung out there a bit, and then walked around a bit more before heading back to the hotel.

We were feeling very lazy so decided to check out the grub hub offerings in the area. We ended up ordering from a pub nearby. I got a pie flight!! I'd never seen that on a menu and it was intriguing! It had mini shepherds pie, meat pie, and chicken pot pie...a trio of comfort foods! My son went with the chicken tenders and fries.

We watched some more trashy TV and called it an early night!

I put "Queenston-Lewiston Bridge" into Google maps so I would not have to think about directions. Only...somehow Google maps led us to somewhere in Niagara on the lake but not the entrance to the bridge. I'm wondering if it gave us the runaround because technically the border is closed?
I've had that happen on occasion. I'm not sure if it's software or operator error!
it occurred to me that assuming we made it across the border, I should bring some little Canadiana souveniers for our American family that we would be seeing in the coming days, so since we were there anyway...we went in and picked up some little bottles of Maple syrup perfectly packaged with maple leafs on the outside.
Well, there's your answer. Your Google maps was just looking out for you!
"Trying to cross the border? Did you bring presents? No? Well, that won't do!"
It was a bit disorienting to drive over the bridge with no other cars there and only one lane open.
I bet!
We drive up and the customs agent asked why we were wanting to enter the US.
"Because it's been about impossible to do so the last year and a half!"
the agent instructed us to pull over and park off to the side, and then go into the immigration and border control office with all our paperwork.
I'm sure you weren't nervous at all at this point...
Once they confirmed that everything was in order, we were instructed to pay a $6.00 fee - not entirely sure what for, but I'll take it!!
Take more! Here's $20!
my son had some fried shrimp.
mmmm... fried shrimp.
I was cruising at a good 120km/h and people were flying by me like I was standing still
Holy smokes! It's like... the 401!
The next hurdle was trying to fit it into our already stuffed car. We had to rearrange a few things, and take the fridge out of its box, but eventually we managed to wedge it in there.
Shocked you managed!
Unfortunately this meant no more seeing out the rear window for the remaining part of the drive to Boston.
What's Behind Me, It's Not Important - YouTube

despite some protests from my 18 year old DS...we got up around 8am with the plan to be out of the room before 9am.
Heh. For my youngest, anything before noon is too early.
American chain restaurant goodness lol.
:laughing:
It also is home to what I'm told is the nation's biggest Walmart...although sadly their selection of dorm fridges was not very big!
:rolleyes1
went back to the room to eat while watching trashy morning TV
You seem to enjoy watching "trashy TV".
I would never do that.
So there's no way I'd watch a show like... dunno... Bachelor in Paradise.
So there's no way I'd say something like "I think Kendall's arrival will spell trouble for Joe."

Um...

:blush:
Oh, in case anyone was wondering what we did about the "leaving everything my son owns in the car overnight" dilemma...we ended up leaving it all in the car except his backpack with his laptop in it. There was no covering anything up as the car was so full. However, the friendly guy at the hotel check in said that their parking lot was very safe and they had never had any issues, so we hoped for the best, and luckily did not have any issues
Was wondering. But glad you were in a safe area and everything was okay. :)
It was raining - perhaps the remnants of hurricane Ida coming up that way, but it was not a nice day. It was this heavy rain with very misty fog, and that was not helped by the dozens of trucks on the road constantly splashing rain up onto the windshield.
Driving in the rain is bad enough. Driving in the rain in an unfamiliar location is worse.
I ended up going to a grilled cheese place where the menu looked good but I was rather disturbed to notice after I had already ordered and paid that the person making the food was not wearing a mask. Ugh. Then looked around and ...most of the patrons at the rest stop were not masked either...ugh. Very unsettling for this covid-traumatized Canadian.
I can see how you'd feel that way. We (briefly) had mask mandates removed so I tried it at a bakery. It felt very strange and I didn't do it again.
I am used to driving in traffic and cities...but this was not fun. I found it pretty unnerving...people going very fast, multiple lanes with no shoulder and exits everywhere...and no shoulder should something go wrong. Yuck. I was very relieved to see sunlight again when we emerged from that tunnel and made it outside and weren't too far from our hotel by that point.
Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience.
For the move in, it was one of the few hotels that had valet parking (or really parking of any kind) in the downtown Boston area. Even better, the parking lot was next door and we were able to go retrieve items from the car if needed. This came in handy because again, we didn't want to unload the whole car before my son's dorm move in which was still a couple of days away.
Plus, with valet parking, your belongings were probably even safer.
we were able to get in and see his room. It was everything he had hoped for and more!! A great sized room and an incredible view, right in the middle of the city. He was so thrilled.
Nice!

I've had that happen on occasion. I'm not sure if it's software or operator error!

I really wonder lol! I'm just glad that where it took us was within viewing distance of the route to Niagara Falls that I knew...otherwise...not sure we ever would have found the bridge lol

I'm sure you weren't nervous at all at this point...

I was. I am nervous about border crossings on a good day...probably from the good ole days of cross border day trip shopping while wearing several pairs of underwear and multiple sweatshirts on the way back...hmm no, nothing to declare...

Holy smokes! It's like... the 401!

Yeah...only with less lanes and more trucks...gah...

What's Behind Me, It's Not Important - YouTube

Yup, about what it was like lol...at least we had the side mirrors lol

You seem to enjoy watching "trashy TV".
I would never do that.
So there's no way I'd watch a show like... dunno... Bachelor in Paradise.
So there's no way I'd say something like "I think Kendall's arrival will spell trouble for Joe."

Um...

Ha!! Yeah...I (really!) don't watch that much trash TV at home, but there's something about hotels that makes me watch whatever is on...also channels that I don't get at home are always fun

I can see how you'd feel that way. We (briefly) had mask mandates removed so I tried it at a bakery. It felt very strange and I didn't do it again.

Yup I know what you mean. I feel like I'm missing something if I go out without a mask.

Plus, with valet parking, your belongings were probably even safer.

Yup!! It's too bad I will probably never want (or afford) to stay at that hotel again unless I win some money lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter