Military Salute tickets amidst COV-19

...We plan on using the salute tickets for the DL trip. I have not purchased them yet. Nothing is open!

There is no need to purchase military DL tickets in advance. You can’t pre-book fast passes, and in California, they do not charge sales tax on theme park tickets. So just wait to buy them at the gate when you arrive, if your trip happens

They did say that Disney will always help with expired Military tickets at the gates, but that they will charge us the difference between what they cost at the time, and current discounts offered at the gate--which, he acknowledged, could be significantly more than what we paid. Not reassuring at all...

The only way it will be significantly different is if they are not offering a military salute type ticket. There is always that possibility, but it's a pretty slim possibility. You'll be able to use the value of your current ticket towards the purchase of that year's salute ticket.

Disney closing was unforeseeable and hopefully a "once-in-a-hundred" years type thing, but it will become my umpteenth reason for always buying trip insurance.

There is no need to purchase military DL tickets in advance. You can’t pre-book fast passes, and in California, they do not charge sales tax on theme park tickets. So just wait to buy them at the gate when you arrive, if your trip happens
Thank you so much! So you can buy the salute tickets at the gate at DL?

At WDW we always go to SOG, so it is strange to be able to at the gate!! Thank you for that advise!

Right. In Florida, it is advisable to get them from SoG or ITT in advance, so that you can link them to book fastpasses, and because if you buy them directly from Disney at the gate, sales tax is charged. Disneyland is different in both of those regards.

Has anyone had the expiration dates changed on their Season Salute tickets? I’m guessing not, but I thought I would ask. I have seen reports over on the rumors thread of people’s tickets that they bought from Costco travel and Undercover Tourist automatically being extended. I believe the guidance we have received up until this point is that since WDW sells their Season Salute tickets through local bases and SOG, they are considered third party tickets and thus Disney will not deal directly regarding them. I have been told that tickets we are unable to use can be applied toward the cost of the new 2021 Season Salute tickets when/if they come out in Sept or Oct—we would also be responsible for paying the difference. Am I the only one that has an issue with this? While I am grateful for how Disney has treated the Military community over the years, I find it unacceptable if they are now not treating these tickets the same as other 3rd party tickets. In my opinion you can’t have it both ways. They are either 3rd party and should be treated the same as other 3rd party tickets or they aren’t and you need to come up with a policy specific to them. I’m going to call Disney when things settle down a bit and inquire. I just wanted to see if anyone was seeing any date changes on their tickets.

Has anyone had the expiration dates changed on their Season Salute tickets? I’m guessing not, but I thought I would ask. I have seen reports over on the rumors thread of people’s tickets that they bought from Costco travel and Undercover Tourist automatically being extended. I believe the guidance we have received up until this point is that since WDW sells their Season Salute tickets through local bases and SOG, they are considered third party tickets and thus Disney will not deal directly regarding them. I have been told that tickets we are unable to use can be applied toward the cost of the new 2021 Season Salute tickets when/if they come out in Sept or Oct—we would also be responsible for paying the difference. Am I the only one that has an issue with this? While I am grateful for how Disney has treated the Military community over the years, I find it unacceptable if they are now not treating these tickets the same as other 3rd party tickets. In my opinion you can’t have it both ways. They are either 3rd party and should be treated the same as other 3rd party tickets or they aren’t and you need to come up with a policy specific to them. I’m going to call Disney when things settle down a bit and inquire. I just wanted to see if anyone was seeing any date changes on their tickets.
Hello there! I also had Military Salute tickets for our May trip. These tickets have to be handled with your local base or SOG. I was able to get a full refund for my tickets by taking them to my local base. She verified that we hadn’t used them (took two days), and then she processed a refund. I also called SOG before going to my base, and a representative there told me that tickets purchased through them could be used toward a ticket purchase next year (the value + any difference owed). I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing the contract that the military has with Disney makes it where the base or SOG needs to handle it. Not sure though. Have you tried to return your tickets at the base?

Hello there! I also had Military Salute tickets for our May trip. These tickets have to be handled with your local base or SOG. I was able to get a full refund for my tickets by taking them to my local base. She verified that we hadn’t used them (took two days), and then she processed a refund. I also called SOG before going to my base, and a representative there told me that tickets purchased through them could be used toward a ticket purchase next year (the value + any difference owed). I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing the contract that the military has with Disney makes it where the base or SOG needs to handle it. Not sure though. Have you tried to return your tickets at the base?
I bought them through SOG and have been told the same. My understanding is that SOG is not giving refunds. We have two tickets that will not be of use to us next year due to the people they were purchased for are not able to go. My point was that Disney says they will not deal directly with anyone who has a military ticket because they consider them 3rd party, yet they are dealing with and automatically extending tickets for others that are also 3rd party. Additionally, those people are not having to “pay the difference” for the extended tickets. It is being done as a courtesy. I would like the same treatment and flexibility for our “3rd party” tickets.

I bought them through SOG and have been told the same. My understanding is that SOG is not giving refunds. We have two tickets that will not be of use to us next year due to the people they were purchased for are not able to go. My point was that Disney says they will not deal directly with anyone who has a military ticket because they consider them 3rd party, yet they are dealing with and automatically extending tickets for others that are also 3rd party. Additionally, those people are not having to “pay the difference” for the extended tickets. It is being done as a courtesy. I would like the same treatment and flexibility for our “3rd party” tickets.

Disney is NOT extending any tickets for anyone past December 15. They are allowing tickets bought from either third party or Disney to be used up until December 15, even those that are date-based for earlier. If the guest wants to use a ticket after December 15, they WILL have to pay the difference.

Salute tickets do not have date-based pricing, just the December 18 expiration date. So they are being treated essentially the same as any other ticket, with the allowance to pay the difference to use it in 2021. With extenuating circumstances (PCS orders, etc.), Shades of Green is also refunding for tickets, on a case by case basis.

Disney is NOT extending any tickets for anyone past December 15. They are allowing tickets bought from either third party or Disney to be used up until December 15, even those that are date-based for earlier. If the guest wants to use a ticket after December 15, they WILL have to pay the difference.

Salute tickets do not have date-based pricing, just the December 18 expiration date. So they are being treated essentially the same as any other ticket, with the allowance to pay the difference to use it in 2021. With extenuating circumstances (PCS orders, etc.), Shades of Green is also refunding for tickets, on a case by case basis.
There are multiple reports in the rumors thread of people who purchased tickets from Costco and UT having the dates on their tickets automatically extended until Sept 2021, so it appears that they are extending them. The people reporting this have not been asked to pay a difference. It has been automatic. I am sorry that you think I am giving out mis information but if you check the HUGE thread in the rumors forum you should see those reports. Whether or not this is Disney’s official policy I don’t know, but it is being done

edited to add a pic of just two accounts. There are more.

Last edited:
I posted a question on Steve's site. In the event we had to cancel Nov. what would happen to our vouchers that are linked to my MDE. We had our May trip canceled. He said we would have to call Disney to have them unlinked. From what I've read I could try to get an extension and pay the difference if renewed next year. Will only deal with activated tickets after this year.

My DD is going 7/12 for her graduation present. We were supposed to go in May with my friend who purchased the Military Salute tickets.

My friend and I rescheduled for Nov, but my DD’s ticket will not be activated.

She has to go to Guest services when she gets there with the voucher and then she will be “allowed” to upgrade to full price ticket......Also having my friend write a letter saying she has permission to use ticket.
At least I will save on the park hoppers. Domt looking like that will be needed. Lol
Kerri

I will be thrilled if they extend to 9/21.
I think it is complete BS not to extend them AND at no extra charge. In particular now since they will not even take new reservations, my tix that were good from 7/1-7/11 are worthless with the 12/15/20 extension

We bought two 6 day military salute tickets for this year. Unfortunately we used one day in January so there are five days remaining on both tickets. Since Disney has cancelled fireworks, parades, character meets and dining we are cancelling our trip. Hoping to reschedule for November 2021. Not sure what will happen to our five remaining days on the tickets. :sad2:

We bought two 6 day military salute tickets for this year. Unfortunately we used one day in January so there are five days remaining on both tickets. Since Disney has cancelled fireworks, parades, character meets and dining we are cancelling our trip. Hoping to reschedule for November 2021. Not sure what will happen to our five remaining days on the tickets. :sad2:
Unless they make a change, you are losing them as of 12/15/20.
ONLY unused tickets ahold any value after that :(

Unless they make a change, you are losing them as of 12/15/20.
ONLY unused tickets ahold any value after that :(

Nothing I can do about that. I only get two personal days a year. It's not worth it to waste them on a short trip, not to mention the cost of roundtrip air, hotel, and food.

I'm in the same situation. My twist is I have 3 days left for 2 people. I booked a late November trip to use them up but also had planned to get a new ticket for third person. So not sure how that will work out. I'm hoping by then to be able to buy a new ticket. Otherwise will probably cancel my reservation and lose the remaining days on my 2 tickets.

I'm in the same situation. My twist is I have 3 days left for 2 people. I booked a late November trip to use them up but also had planned to get a new ticket for third person. So not sure how that will work out. I'm hoping by then to be able to buy a new ticket. Otherwise will probably cancel my reservation and lose the remaining days on my 2 tickets.
Undercover tourist was still selling tix two days ago, you might be able to slip in that way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter