Military/general public discounts!

I am not retired (did my 6 and got out) but I am a veteran. Am I still qualified and does my license serve (has the Veteran designation printed) as sufficient ID? Or does a copy of the discharge papers work?

Can the military tickets be upgraded to APs after 1st use the same way other discount tickets can be?
You aren't retired or active duty. You get nothing via DoD. And probably nothing from Disney either for your veteran status. Except when they do a really special deal like for veterans day.

We stayed at Shades of Green this year for the first time and I was not impressed. The rooms may be a little larger, but pretty plain. We used the shuttle service to Disney Springs but you have to walk much farther to get to/from the pick up spot that SOG uses. It is not with the Disney bus stops. We tried walking to the Poly to catch Disney busses to get to the park, but that was a disaster. We spent almost two hours walking and waiting before we got to the park. I would not be tempted to stay there again.

Yes I think they need to be 100% disabled with service disability.
Correct. Basically, you need to have an ID card that lists Exchange privileges, which you can only get with Active duty/spouse, retiree, or DAVPRM (which is only for 100% TPD vets)

As previously stated, militarydisneytips.com has very thorough information on all of the military discounts and benefits available, plus information on SoG eligibility. The military room discounts (30-40% off) are far better than any discounts offered to the general public.

If you're looking for discounted dining without purchasing a dining plan, I highly recommend opening a Chase Bank account and choosing a Disney card design for your debit card. It's free, and Chase offers a military checking account which is also free. With the Disney debit card, you get 10% off at most restaurants (not including alcohol), and 10% off merchandise purchases of $50 or more at most stores. Also 20% off at Joffrey's coffee and tea, which is located throughout all the parks. You don't have to use Chase as your primary bank, but you can use the card for all your Disney spending money and save a ton that way.

The Waves of Honor program at SeaWorld/Busch Gardens is for active duty only. We went to Sea World every FL trip and used them.....right up until my husband retired a few years ago. Then we were no longer eligible. Recently, they've announced that all veterans can get the free ticket (and up to 3 dependents) until some date in July which I've forgotten. Unfortunately my husband isn't coming on this trip and the rules state the veteran must be present at the gate, unlike WDW were I can use my spouse ID for the salute tickets.

regards

I am not retired (did my 6 and got out) but I am a veteran. Am I still qualified and does my license serve (has the Veteran designation printed) as sufficient ID? Or does a copy of the discharge papers work?

Can the military tickets be upgraded to APs after 1st use the same way other discount tickets can be?
SOG does allow veterans to stay onsite sometimes. You can check their website.

Veterans can stay in January. There is one other month, but not sure what that is. I'm guessing it is their slower times. You have to show discharge papers when registering, also provide info when making the reservation by phone. I did ours online, but when I phoned later, they adjusted the rate higher and said we did not qualify for the cheaper rate or the discounted breakfast buffet.

Veterans can stay in January. There is one other month, but not sure what that is. I'm guessing it is their slower times. You have to show discharge papers when registering, also provide info when making the reservation by phone. I did ours online, but when I phoned later, they adjusted the rate higher and said we did not qualify for the cheaper rate or the discounted breakfast buffet.

It is January and September.
https://www.shadesofgreen.org/accommodations/special-offers/monthly-specials/salute-our-veterans

I think Target used this platform for Veteran's Day discount verification, there are just a few out there that I know of and this is one. I don't typically utilize these so I don't have an outstanding review, but had no issues.

I think Target used this platform for Veteran's Day discount verification, there are just a few out there that I know of and this is one. I don't typically utilize these so I don't have an outstanding review, but had no issues.

Yes, from my understanding this is correct. Are you active or retired?

We went to Lowe's and asked about their discount, cashier asked for our card she then entered it in connecting it to our account so now every purchase we make in-store and online we automatically receive a 10% discount. This was an easy process. Wish more stores were like this.

Last edited:
As far as I know it's just a service that verifies the validity of your military status. A few places I shop at require you to register with them to "prove" you are eligible for the military discount. Foot Locker, Champs, Lowe's, and a few others. I have had to send a copy of my ID and they OK you in a few minutes really. A couple places like Foot Locker used to allow you to just show your ID at the register, but according to one employee there were too many attempts at using fake ID's that they went to using a verification service. If I purchase something at those stores I have to punch in some additional info on the payment screen to get my discount. At Lowe's it automatically shows when my husband or I purchase something under our phone number.

I cannot say that I've ever had any negative related to using sheerID.

If your looking for a place that gives discounts and also works like a "cash back" shopping site, I also use IDme. Some merchants use this service to validate your eligibility and they also offer cash back through those merchants. IDme also has teacher, police and student verification/discounts.

regards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!