Mickey Lamp Posts

thegoofyfamily

Mouseketeer
Anyone know someone that makes the Mickey lamp posts that you see at Fort Wilderness. I've given up on my husband....he's either traveling or exhausted from work and I'm afraid to even attempt it. We're going to the Fort next weekend for 8 days and I hate it that it's another trip without these lamp posts that I want so badly! I want to find a couple before our Halloween trip. Anyone?

I think they get them at Kmart. I too want one and someone told me thats who has them!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Although JC Penny had a smaller version of the Mickey Lamp a few years ago, I have never seen one like you refer to in a store. They are all homemade, often reflecting the individuality of the maker. Plans for making one are somewhere on the forum. Cost usually run between 50 and 100 dollars, depending on just what kind of globes, mounts, and base you use. Some report a 2-3 hour assembly time, but your time could vary.

We attempted to make one and the saw blade was too sharp and broke our large globe :-(

We attempted to make one and the saw blade was too sharp and broke our large globe :-(

It is best to use a hole-saw and cut slowly amd steadily.

Keep the saw moving at all times, you cut the plastic and melt it at the same time.

After the pilot hole is drilled you can run the drill in reverse and basically burn the large hole in the globe. Probably better to do with a brand new hole saw. My issue is finding a pipe for the stand. All PVC is 3" ID and the globe base is 3" OD and won't fit. I don't want to use the metal one Home depot sells because I can't customize it.

After the pilot hole is drilled you can run the drill in reverse and basically burn the large hole in the globe. Probably better to do with a brand new hole saw. My issue is finding a pipe for the stand. All PVC is 3" ID and the globe base is 3" OD and won't fit. I don't want to use the metal one Home depot sells because I can't customize it.

Reverse the drill . . . good idea!

I use a black 2" ABS drain pipe for the post. A connector, used to join sections of the 2" pipe, screws into the bottom of the globe fitter. Check my instructions to see pictures.

http://www.carol-anne.ca/Mickey Lamp.htm

Finally finished collecting all of our supplies over the weekend and got started!

Of course, I managed to break the large globe on my first attempt :(

Ran back to HD last night and picked up 2 more (just in case ;)) and will give it another go tonight. I did practice a few more holes in the broken globe, so I think I have the hang of it now. Using the drill in reverse really helps!

Finally finished collecting all of our supplies over the weekend and got started!

Ran back to HD last night and picked up 2 more (just in case ;)) and will give it another go tonight. I did practice a few more holes in the broken globe, so I think I have the hang of it now. Using the drill in reverse really helps!

That's okay. I broke the large globe my first time and I know others have too. You're not alone.

I put a green light bulb in mine to give it the DIS look (and I left off the little lights in the ears).

Good luck!

Bama Ed

I've broken two globes in the dozen or so lamps I've made.

Keep the drill moving . . . don't stop until the cut is done. You end up half drilling and half melting your way through.

I like the ideal of running the drill in reverse, that would totally melt it's way through with little chance of a snag which might break the globe.

I'm going to try that next time! :)

I would like to offer a suggestion when drilling for the ears. I broke my first globe. I then decided to wrap the globe with blue painters tape before drilling. It really stabilizes the large globe when drilling......especially the second ear. I also used a milk can for the base which made the entire light stable when those sudden Florida rains came calling.
Campissetup2_zpsf67e4e8_edit_1403706289655_zpsizziekzz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]ng.

I would like to offer a suggestion when drilling for the ears. I broke my first globe. I then decided to wrap the globe with blue painters tape before drilling. It really stabilizes the large globe when drilling......especially the second ear. I also used a milk can for the base which made the entire light stable when those sudden Florida rains came calling.
Campissetup2_zpsf67e4e8_edit_1403706289655_zpsizziekzz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]ng.

The painter's tape on the globe sounds like a great idea. I'm planning on making a second, so I'll try that next time.

As far as cutting the hole in the top of the milk can - do you have any tips?

I'm using an 18V cordless drill with a Milwaukee bi-metal hole saw, but I'm not making much progress.

ETA: Yours looks great BTW and I'm digging the Mickey head by your front door!

rab1022 said:

This looks awesome! I'm going to HD and get my materials. I have some cool add on ideas to make it unique!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter