Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway .... A Thought

fully agree on all fronts - though still not sure of them using the new style animation for Mickey vs a more traditional look

Still excited for the ride though

I'm really excited for this too! I keep getting sad because we can't go back until 2020, but I console myself with all the new stuff that will be open by then (and other vacations). I would wait for 2021 so we could get Tron, but that's too long for me - will have to plan another trip for that. :)

I'm really excited for this too! I keep getting sad because we can't go back until 2020, but I console myself with all the new stuff that will be open by then (and other vacations). I would wait for 2021 so we could get Tron, but that's too long for me - will have to plan another trip for that. :)

2021 is such a huge year as Tron and Guardains will be open and then all the festivities of the 50th - it will be a madhouse and I am excited - and a bit scared at the same time

I know nothing official has been released but I feel like Rat in France will be open by 2020 as they have already started construction and it is a copy of an existing ride so I think you would have that new attraction as well

2021 is such a huge year as Tron and Guardains will be open and then all the festivities of the 50th - it will be a madhouse and I am excited - and a bit scared at the same time

I know nothing official has been released but I feel like Rat in France will be open by 2020 as they have already started construction and it is a copy of an existing ride so I think you would have that new attraction as well
Tron and Guardians both 2021

Rat 2020

UK attraction by 2021

Brazil 2022

MK theater 2019?

Epcot Space dining experience 2019

Star Wars and Mickey 2019

Other unannounced additions... ;)

Big years ahead!

dang you are a tease ;)

thanks for the summary list - very helpful! :thumbsup2

BTW - has there been any more news about the Space Restaurant - seems like that was the surprise of D23 and then we haven't really heard much (and sorry, I know I am taking this thread off topic)
I am surprised we haven't heard more as well but it is supposedly still on pace.

I have a friend who was working on the technology for this ride and last I heard, it was still in development in a closed-environment without a ride system in a soundstage at WDI in California, so short of a miracle, it won’t be opening before 2019.

Plus, it’s the first Mickey attraction and you know Disney won’t open it without the significant (and warranted!) pomp and circumstance.

I have a friend who was working on the technology for this ride and last I heard, it was still in development in a closed-environment without a ride system in a soundstage at WDI in California, so short of a miracle, it won’t be opening before 2019.

Plus, it’s the first Mickey attraction and you know Disney won’t open it without the significant (and warranted!) pomp and circumstance.
I’m guessing some of the concept images they’ve put out came from that soundstage you’re talking about.

disney has on occasion opened an attraction without fanfare (see: the recent hall of presidents refurb) but i think that's only when the announcement will net them negative publicity. as other people have said, this is a major milestone for being the first attraction based on mickey specifically. given its fall 2019 opening window, i'm willing to bet that it'll open a bit prior to star wars land as a way to even out the crowds

disney has on occasion opened an attraction without fanfare (see: the recent hall of presidents refurb) but i think that's only when the announcement will net them negative publicity. as other people have said, this is a major milestone for being the first attraction based on mickey specifically. given its fall 2019 opening window, i'm willing to bet that it'll open a bit prior to star wars land as a way to even out the crowds

I know not everyone is a fan of the new animation style for Mickey, but I'd like to think it won't be as controversial as the updated HoP and won't have any protestors or anything ;)

I know not everyone is a fan of the new animation style for Mickey, but I'd like to think it won't be as controversial as the updated HoP and won't have any protestors or anything ;)

I didn’t like the new mickey animation at first but after watching a couple of the new shorts on YouTube, the animation is starting to grow on me.

Yeah I think the best way to explain it is those cards or things you would see in magazines that if you move them at certain angles they look 3D. I am sure it will be executed much better than that.

If you look at some of the concept art it looks like there will be a lot of depth or layers in the sets to help with the affects.

I think the closest example to what it may look like would be the screen on a Nintendo 3DS. That uses two stacked screens and then offsets the picture for each eye. It works pretty well. This however will be on a much larger scale and it will be interesting how they can make it work for multiple viewers from multiple angles. I can't wait to learn more about this ride.

I think the closest example to what it may look like would be the screen on a Nintendo 3DS. That uses two stacked screens and then offsets the picture for each eye. It works pretty well. This however will be on a much larger scale and it will be interesting how they can make it work for multiple viewers from multiple angles. I can't wait to learn more about this ride.

I think that is a good comparison - though like you said this will be on a more grander scale with (probably) more than two screens and it needs to adjust to the ride vehicles moving as well

If they can pull it off I think it will be really cool!

I’m shocked... literally twitterpated.... to hear that this is the first!!!! Mickey themed ride in any park!

My mouth dropped when I read that.

A mickey attraction is a no brainer, and I know imagineers have brains.... so what’s the explanation? Is it because they didn’t want to open one without using Walt’s voice? Have they cloned him Jurassic Park style?

I’m shocked... literally twitterpated.... to hear that this is the first!!!! Mickey themed ride in any park!

My mouth dropped when I read that.

A mickey attraction is a no brainer, and I know imagineers have brains.... so what’s the explanation? Is it because they didn’t want to open one without using Walt’s voice? Have they cloned him Jurassic Park style?

Not sure - they definitely have had attractions (Philharmagic, Mickey Mouse Revue, etc.) but this would be the first actual ride

Not sure - they definitely have had attractions (Philharmagic, Mickey Mouse Revue, etc.) but this would be the first actual ride
Mickey has always been present in the parks of course like you said. This is just the first ride. Mickey even had his own land at one point in WDW. He still does in Disneyland.

I think Mickey is such a founding part of Disney, but there never was a real story that was obvious for a ride. Sorcerer's Apprentice is probably the closest actual Mickey movie that would have made for a dark ride or thrill ride, but Sorcerer Mickey is used in so many areas of the Parks that it would have felt restricting to tie it to just another ride in MK. I think almost from the beginning Mickey was meta Disney World, uggh that hurt to type but it gets the idea across pretty well, instead of just a character. And I think his ubiquitous nature in WDW, which is kind of unique to him, resisted any simple attraction. So I don't think there was really a desire to, maybe, pigeon hole? Mickey into a ride unless the perfect opportunity came around.

With DHS going through a rebrand, and the Sorcerer's Hat coming down, and the centerpiece of the Chinese Theater coming open, I think there was that perfect opportunity to build Mickey a showcase without pigeonholing him into, say, a corner of MK. The prestige of the location and the lack of really anything else "Mickey" in DHS made for a really good marriage for the first time in the Parks. Mickey gets the place of honor, the ride at the center of it all, and that's kind of what he deserves. Short of Spaceship Earth, where a Mickey ride would feel out of place, there wasn't a place grand enough for him before.

Kind of a hash of a post, as I reread it, but it's a hard concept for me to explain. He's just too big, too important, for just a ride. It needs to be THE RIDE at the center of a Park. Only DHS can give him that position.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter