Mickey’s PhilharMagic Premiering in April at Disney California Adventure Park

dina444444

DIS Veteran
The spectacular magic of Disney animation and music will soon come to life in the 3D movie musical Mickey’s PhilharMagic at Disney California Adventure park.

Premiering in April at the Sunset Showcase Theater in Hollywood Land, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and other favorite Disney characters take the stage in this 3D fantasy adventure.

As Donald prepares the orchestra for Mickey, he comes across the conductor’s baton and Mickey’s Sorcerer’s Hat. A little magic goes a long way and proceedings go awry! Donald is unexpectedly plunged into a 3D dream world and you’re taken along for the ride. The experience will sweep you away into the fantastic world of classic Disney animated musical sequences—from “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Little Mermaid,” to “Peter Pan” and “Aladdin.”

What better time for Mickey’s PhilharMagic to debut than during Get Your Ears On – A Mickey and Minnie Celebration! Join us as we celebrate 90 years of magic with the all-new “Mickey’s Mix Magic” nighttime projection show, “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade,” limited-time décor, specialty foods, merchandise and more!

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details on this exciting new addition to Disney California Adventure park!

Source

I've heard a lot of good things about the show @ WDW, so I'm definitely interested in this at CA!

I've only seen this show at WDW once, but aren't there a lot of in-theater effects? I wonder if this will be a stripped down version, like when they brought back Captain EO but didn't bring back any of the awesome effects that made going to the theater better than watching on YouTube.

I'm very happy this show is coming to DCA, my favorite "theatre show" (Muppets, Eo, Tough to be a Bug, Shrunk the Kids...)

Definitely excited for this show.

BUT, MuppetVision 3D at DCA closed permanently in November 2014 and while it was never made official, my hope is fading away that it will be back anytime soon.

I've only seen this show at WDW once, but aren't there a lot of in-theater effects? I wonder if this will be a stripped down version, like when they brought back Captain EO but didn't bring back any of the awesome effects that made going to the theater better than watching on YouTube.
The theater has been down for a while, it is entirely possible that they managed to change things out inside with no one noticing and since it is quite possible that no structural changes were needed, it is entirely possible that no permit would have been needed. They could even pull off water effects with no structural changes.

I guess I only saw the stripped down version, but I loved it. The seats rocked, air from Hooter's trunk hit you in the face, and the 3D, of course.

I will never not (bad grammar for emphasis) miss Captain EO. It's the very thing that pulled me to Disneyland in the first place.

I guess I only saw the stripped down version, but I loved it. The seats rocked, air from Hooter's trunk hit you in the face, and the 3D, of course.

I will never not (bad grammar for emphasis) miss Captain EO. It's the very thing that pulled me to Disneyland in the first place.

You definitely missed out! I loved the starfield effect at the beginning (using actual "3D" fiber optic stars to blend with the 3D stars on screen) and the in-theater laser blasts and explosions.

This is very good news. Capacity is a good thing. This is a cute show. I am sure there will be plenty of special effects. Even the movie previews they were doing had effects as did the Frozen show.

This is very good news. Capacity is a good thing. This is a cute show. I am sure there will be plenty of special effects. Even the movie previews they were doing had effects as did the Frozen show.
Yeah, but I really hope they upgrade to the three large screens and at least the Donald Animatronic at the end. I know it is a small thing, but it is often in the details with Disney that makes the difference.

Yeah, but I really hope they upgrade to the three large screens and at least the Donald Animatronic at the end. I know it is a small thing, but it is often in the details with Disney that makes the difference.
Screens I don't know. But I would think an animatronic should have been doable.

Love, love, love Philharmagic! So excited to see it at DLR.The special effects are similar to muppets so I think the theatre should be pretty much equipped for them. I do hope they do the Donald animatronic- should be set up for that where the Chef was in muppets. I love Muppets too, but I do have to say that Philharmagic is probably more classic and less dated than Muppets. We do still really enjoy Muppets at WDW though and I always worry it will disappear like at DLR.

Love, love, love Philharmagic! So excited to see it at DLR.The special effects are similar to muppets so I think the theatre should be pretty much equipped for them. I do hope they do the Donald animatronic- should be set up for that where the Chef was in muppets. I love Muppets too, but I do have to say that Philharmagic is probably more classic and less dated than Muppets. We do still really enjoy Muppets at WDW though and I always worry it will disappear like at DLR.
Yep, I never miss Phliharmagic when at MK. One of my favorites there. This is so awesome!

I have never liked Muppets at DCA or WDW so this is great news to me.

And to the PPs, yes, there are show effects (at the MK version) along the lines of ITTBAB and Honey I Shrunk the Audience (at DL a few years back). So I hope they bring those. Plus Donald of course. But what will make it best, IMO, is the side screens and the 3D. If they have the side screens I will be really happy. The 3D they confirmed.

:wizard:

Yep, I never miss Phliharmagic when at MK. One of my favorites there. This is so awesome!

I have never liked Muppets at DCA or WDW so this is great news to me.

And to the PPs, yes, there are show effects (at the MK version) along the lines of ITTBAB and Honey I Shrunk the Audience (at DL a few years back). So I hope they bring those. Plus Donald of course. But what will make it best, IMO, is the side screens and the 3D. If they have the side screens I will be really happy. The 3D they confirmed.

Side screens? What about how they had projections for Incredibles plus other previews and Frozen on the walls. Would that work?
I've only seen MPM once, so I don't recall the screens.

Side screens? What about how they had projections for Incredibles plus other previews and Frozen on the walls. Would that work?
I've only seen MPM once, so I don't recall the screens.
I do not think so. The side screens sort of make it a surround theater for 180 degrees. At MK the side screens are angled sort of like \___/ .

I have not gone into that theater for many years since it was muppets. Which I saw once. So I have little recollection about it.

There was a credible rumor about Philharmagic coming there to that theater back in 2012 when DCA had its makeover. But that fell away. But for Mickey's 90th it is a great addition - even though Mickey is hardly in it.

I just did Philharmagic the first week of March. Always puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter