Mickey’s PhilharMagic Premiering in April at Disney California Adventure Park

I do not think so. The side screens sort of make it a surround theater for 180 degrees. At MK the side screens are angled sort of like \___/ .

I have not gone into that theater for may years since it was muppets. Which I saw once. So I have little recollection about it.

There was a credible rumor about Phliharmagic coming there to that theater back in 2012 when DCA had its makeover. But that fell away. But for Mickey's 90th it is a great addition - even though Mickey is hardly in it.

I just did Philharmagic the first week of March. Always puts a smile on my face.

:wizard:
I would think that configuration would be difficult. The theater is smaller than the ome at WDW. They would have had to remove the existing large screen and replace it with 3 smaller ones.

From one Disney news site: Due to the quick turnaround of the theater from movie screenings to PhilharMagic, we don’t expect the full 3 screen wraparound effect of the Disney World version. Paris has a one screen version of the show. However, the former Muppetvision Theater does have some screens on the sides of the theater which might be used for an enhanced wraparound effect.

This is great that they are putting a legitimate attraction in. I am concerned they may have stripped it a little bit as they put it in Disneyland Paris I believe and it does not feature the donald animatronic (well half of one) that the WDW version has. On the other hand, rumors have been swirling about an updated movie for the show, so it should be a simple matter to change that out since it will no doubt be using digital projection.

Last edited:
We really enjoyed this attraction at WDW. I’m really pleased it’s coming to CA. It will mean another attraction option in a park that lately has been getting a little slim on attractions that younger kids can enjoy with everyone else in their family.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But if it’s 3D, does that mean things will pop out at you? Like the Bugs life show? I did that as a kid at Disney World, and freaked out, and never went back to another one like it. Lol

I am so excited for this, my kids loved Philharmagic at the World, we saw it 3 times. Can't wait to see it next month!

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But if it’s 3D, does that mean things will pop out at you? Like the Bugs life show? I did that as a kid at Disney World, and freaked out, and never went back to another one like it. Lol

I thought 3D meant that you wear 3D glasses and the characters appear to be popping out of the screen (like a 3D movie you would see in a theatre). For the Bigs Life show at WDW, there were actual plastic spiders coming from the ceiling, the sensation of worms crawling under your seat, etc.. my kids hated it! I don't think that is what PhilharMagic is - at least it wasn't when we saw it at the World last year. It was a 3D show that you wore glasses for and it appeared to have characters and elements come out of the screen, but nothing "real." Does that make sense? Someone can correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited:
I thought 3D meant that you wear 3D glasses and the characters appear to be popping out of the screen (like a 3D movie you would see in a theatre). For the Bigs Life show at WDW, there were actual plastic spiders coming from the ceiling, the sensation of worms crawling under your seat, etc.. my kids hated it! I don't think that is what PhilharMagic is - at least it wasn't when we saw it at the World last year. It was a 3D show that you wore glasses for and it appeared to have characters and elements come out of the screen, but nothing "real." Does that make sense? Someone can correct me if I am wrong!
That's correct. Nothing physically actually pops out at you at the WDW attraction. It's all 3D. Using 3D glasses.

When in April??? We will be there 10-15. Would really like to see an updated version! Used to love it at WDW, but it's gotten so poor! Quality is just worn out.... all blurry and old! Hope they update it before it goes in at DLR.

Great news! That show has been one of the things I miss about WDW, glad to hear it will be at the resort we go to the most. I do wonder about how the differences in theater size and configuration will effect the show though.

3D usually refers to visual dimensions meaning that you see parts of the movie “pop” out from the screen while wearing special glasses. I’ve always heard it called 4D when there is other sensory experiences (smell, touch, etc)

Regardless, PhilharMagic at WDW DOES have a few extra sensory effects but not nearly as disturbing as ITTBAB. Light spray of water and a smell or two, I think that’s it

Last edited:
This is a pleasant surprise. I did not know that PhilharMagic show will be coming to DCA. Too bad that it's not a 3 screen experience. I LOVED the version in WDW where you see the movie change from 1 to 3 screens. It became super immersive and stunning when this happens. I would hope that it is still as amazing.

3D usually refers to visual dimensions meaning that you see parts of the movie “pop” out from the screen while wearing special glasses. I’ve always heard it called 4D when there is other sensory experiences (smell, touch, etc)

Regardless, PhilharMagic at WDW DOES have a few extra sensory effects but not nearly as disturbing as IABL. Light spray of water and a smell or two, I think that’s it

Yes, PhilharMagic only has a little spritz of water, some scents, and wind effects. That's it. It's not in any way a "scary" type of show. The movie follows Donald through scenes from generally the 90's era "Disney Renaissance" movies.

The classic "trick" people do at the WDW one is there is a scene where a lot of jewels float out toward you - impress your kids by having a handful of plastic gems and "catching" them. Just a tip for all you Disneyland folks who've never seen this one. Then again, if they update the movie, that may not work anymore.

This is a pleasant surprise. I did not know that PhilharMagic show will be coming to DCA. Too bad that it's not a 3 screen experience. I LOVED the version in WDW where you see the movie change from 1 to 3 screens. It became super immersive and stunning when this happens. I would hope that it is still as amazing.
Honestly, no one knows if it will be 3 screens or not.

Regardless, PhilharMagic at WDW DOES have a few extra sensory effects but not nearly as disturbing as IABL. Light spray of water and a smell or two, I think that’s it
Yep, I agree. I cannot imagine it bothering anyone.

:wizard:

Any new information? It was supposed to open in April, and we're almost halfway through? Anybody who has gone past the theater, is there any evidence they are getting it ready for Philharmagic?
Will be in DLR April 30 to May 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter