MiceChat is reporting there will be changes to DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry my location is personal information that I have the right to keep private.
Actually no, you don't. Disney is private property. They have the right to know where guests are on their property, like you do when you have guests in your house.

At WDW, you can opt out by not using FP+ or magic bands, but with DAS system, if you need the accommodations, you have no alternative but to opt in. Sorry my location is personal information that I have the right to keep private.

No, you don't have that right when you are on someone else's property. Privacy rights, much like free speech rights, pertain to rights of people from infringement by the government.

I wonder when this will be put into place so we can see how they are going to deal with it all. I wonder if families with 2 DAS needs will be able to have all party members assigned to both but each person can only have a single DAS time associated with them at any given time. That way they could alternate which DAS they're on, but not have whole parties waiting for 2 rides with 2 different cards.

I wonder when this will be put into place so we can see how they are going to deal with it all. I wonder if families with 2 DAS needs will be able to have all party members assigned to both but each person can only have a single DAS time associated with them at any given time. That way they could alternate which DAS they're on, but not have whole parties waiting for 2 rides with 2 different cards.

That would be a great way to handle it. Along with not allowing a DAS ticket holder to be associated with another DAS ticket holder.

No, you don't have that right when you are on someone else's property. Privacy rights, much like free speech rights, pertain to rights of people from infringement by the government.

Actually, the courts have disagreed on many occasions. Privacy rights are there to protect us from businesses collecting too much data. For an example, if you use a credit card, businesses are prohibited from asking for your phone number, email or address, unless it is an online or phone purchase. That doesn't mean that businesses don't do that anyway, but they are legally not allowed to and I have gotten compensation from many class action lawsuits regarding this and they weren't settled, they were the courts finding the companies guilty.

Yes, if someone comes over to my house, I have the right to know where they are
But I also didn't charge them admission to come into my house and I am also not writing down their every move and whom they did it with
Both of these make what Disney is now trying g to do something that is a privacy issue that they will find themselves looking on.

Even if it were found to be legal, it will become a PR nightmare for them.

Actually, the courts have disagreed on many occasions. Privacy rights are there to protect us from businesses collecting too much data. For an example, if you use a credit card, businesses are prohibited from asking for your phone number, email or address, unless it is an online or phone purchase. That doesn't mean that businesses don't do that anyway, but they are legally not allowed to and I have gotten compensation from many class action lawsuits regarding this and they weren't settled, they were the courts finding the companies guilty.

That's California law (and perhaps other states as well), not federal law.

Yes, if someone comes over to my house, I have the right to know where they are
But I also didn't charge them admission to come into my house and I am also not writing down their every move and whom they did it with
Both of these make what Disney is now trying g to do something that is a privacy issue that they will find themselves looking on.

Even if it were found to be legal, it will become a PR nightmare for them.

You choose to go to Disneyland. As for a PR nightmare, hardly. This has been going on in Florida for a year now, and the only complaint I've heard is from some bonehead Congressman.

That's California law (and perhaps other states as well), not federal law.

You choose to go to Disneyland. As for a PR nightmare, hardly. This has been going on in Florida for a year now, and the only complaint I've heard is from some bonehead Congressman.

Actually it was a federal law for the lawsuits, although California does have additional limits.

The problem is Florida is a completely different situation, as use of the things that allow tracking are completely optional to use, but for those of us that need the DAS card, there are no alternatives to not be tracked. This is why it will become a PR nightmare, especially when you realize how much more outspoken Califonians are on the issue than people from other parts of the country.

Bottom line is unless you live out here, you have no idea how big of a deal this will become.

Actually it was a federal law for the lawsuits, although California does have additional limits.

The problem is Florida is a completely different situation, as use of the things that allow tracking are completely optional to use, but for those of us that need the DAS card, there are no alternatives to not be tracked. This is why it will become a PR nightmare, especially when you realize how much more outspoken Califonians are on the issue than people from other parts of the country.

Bottom line is unless you live out here, you have no idea how big of a deal this will become.

Bottom line, there is no federal law that regulates this kind of thing, and Rep. Markey from Massachusetts was roundly (and appropriately) slapped down by Disney for making outlandish accusations.

And yes, I'm well aware that Californians appear to complain more about most things than people in the rest of the country.

This discussion is getting away from the actual subject......
There has been some good discussion and I want to keep the thread open, but will close it if it just gets into an argument.

I can see this working better with the My Disney Experience app. With that, and Magicbands, you can actually have Peoplemover le connected together in your party. You can have the same or different Fastpass Plus experiences for each person.
Being able to do it like that, I can see how it would work with DAS.

My other thought is this is probably an experiment at Disneyland at this point, not a finished product.
One of the experiments at Disneyland before DAS was giving out Return Times to GAC holders at the Carsland Racers (can't think of the name tight now). My guess is that this is similar - a test to figure out how to make it work.

This discussion is getting away from the actual subject...... There has been some good discussion and I want to keep the thread open, but will close it if it just gets into an argument. I can see this working better with the My Disney Experience app. With that, and Magicbands, you can actually have Peoplemover le connected together in your party. You can have the same or different Fastpass Plus experiences for each person. Being able to do it like that, I can see how it would work with DAS. My other thought is this is probably an experiment at Disneyland at this point, not a finished product. One of the experiments at Disneyland before DAS was giving out Return Times to GAC holders at the Carsland Racers (can't think of the name tight now). My guess is that this is similar - a test to figure out how to make it work.

I agree about this probably working best at WDW, as the infrastructure is already in place.

Ok we were at Disneyland today, we needed a DAS plus my son in the stroller as a wheel chair. The DAS is now your park ticket / AP. When you get your DAS you have to have all the tickets of the people with you. They assign the DAS to the ticket of the person needing it and than attach the other tickets to that "account". They still have the kiosk to get a return time but I think you can also get one at the ride, I'm not to sure about the last part. When you go to get on the ride they will scan all your tickets. You also need all your tickets to get a return time. I'm sure you can only have one return time per ticket at a time, if you were to try to get another return time they would be able to see you already had one. Some one came up to a kiosk with an old paper DAS and they were able to change it right there.
I asked a cast member how they liked to new system and she said that they loved it as it was easier and faster. The new system worked fine for us just like the old system, I just kept all our tickets in my pocket. Since we only needed one DAS there are a lot of questions I can't answer. Oh an we were given a paper to write our return times on and one of the cast members let me keep their pen so that was nice but next time I go I will bring a pen with me.

We spent yesterday in Disneyland and the new system was in place. For the most part the system worked very well.

We have two children who both need a DAS for differing reasons and we do at times split up. This was no problem at all. If all 4 of us were going on an attraction they scanned all four tickets and we had a time for that attraction.

If we were splitting up (dad/son, mom/daughter) we would have my son and husbands tickets scanned for the ride they were going on and mine and my daughters for what we wanted to ride.

We really liked this system as it was quick easy and didn't really draw attention. I like that it prevents people from having multiple cards and return times.

We had a couple kinks, mostly with the CM's having wifi issues and having to wait several minutes to get the times assigned (the two worst kiosks were the one in Paradise Pier and across from Carthay Circle). We also had one instance where we had a time for Toy Story Midway Mania and they scanned our tickets and we rode. We then got a time for Star Tours, park hopped and when we tried to ride it was showing we had not ridden Toy Story and didn't have a time for Star Tours. We went to the kiosk and they gave us a 5 minute wait time.

Overall, we really found this system to work very well for our family and our children's needs.

Ok we were at Disneyland today, we needed a DAS plus my son in the stroller as a wheel chair. The DAS is now your park ticket / AP. When you get your DAS you have to have all the tickets of the people with you. They assign the DAS to the ticket of the person needing it and than attach the other tickets to that "account". They still have the kiosk to get a return time but I think you can also get one at the ride, I'm not to sure about the last part. When you go to get on the ride they will scan all your tickets. You also need all your tickets to get a return time. I'm sure you can only have one return time per ticket at a time, if you were to try to get another return time they would be able to see you already had one. Some one came up to a kiosk with an old paper DAS and they were able to change it right there.
I asked a cast member how they liked to new system and she said that they loved it as it was easier and faster. The new system worked fine for us just like the old system, I just kept all our tickets in my pocket. Since we only needed one DAS there are a lot of questions I can't answer. Oh an we were given a paper to write our return times on and one of the cast members let me keep their pen so that was nice but next time I go I will bring a pen with me.
If I understand correctly, you just needed the tickets and did not need to have everyone with you to get a the DAS and yo get Return Times for the DAS?

Did the person the DAS was for need to be with at the kiosk or not?

Correct I just needed the park tickets, some of are party were waiting out side when we got the DAS. And the person the DAS was for did not have to be present to get a return time, just their ticket had to.

The person the DAS is for still needs to be there to get the DAS. They still take their picture and it show up on the scanners at the rides.

We spent yesterday in Disneyland and the new system was in place. For the most part the system worked very well.

We have two children who both need a DAS for differing reasons and we do at times split up. This was no problem at all. If all 4 of us were going on an attraction they scanned all four tickets and we had a time for that attraction.

If we were splitting up (dad/son, mom/daughter) we would have my son and husbands tickets scanned for the ride they were going on and mine and my daughters for what we wanted to ride.

We really liked this system as it was quick easy and didn't really draw attention. I like that it prevents people from having multiple cards and return times.

We had a couple kinks, mostly with the CM's having wifi issues and having to wait several minutes to get the times assigned (the two worst kiosks were the one in Paradise Pier and across from Carthay Circle). We also had one instance where we had a time for Toy Story Midway Mania and they scanned our tickets and we rode. We then got a time for Star Tours, park hopped and when we tried to ride it was showing we had not ridden Toy Story and didn't have a time for Star Tours. We went to the kiosk and they gave us a 5 minute wait time.

Overall, we really found this system to work very well for our family and our children's needs.
Thank you for your report.

Were all of your tickets linked together?
(So, if son and mom wanted to ride or daughter and mom, you would just scan the appropriate tickets)

It sounds very much the way that Fastpass Plus works at Disney World, except that the tickets at WDW are linked electronically to the My Disney Experience account. Fastpass times are able to be assigned by accessing the My Disney Experience without aCtually having the passes/Magicbands there.

Correct I just needed the park tickets, some of are party were waiting out side when we got the DAS. And the person the DAS was for did not have to be present to get a return time, just their ticket had to.

The person the DAS is for still needs to be there to get the DAS. They still take their picture and it show up on the scanners at the rides.
Thanks.
That was what I thought for both.

Thank you for your report. Were all of your tickets linked together? (So, if son and mom wanted to ride or daughter and mom, you would just scan the appropriate tickets) It sounds very much the way that Fastpass Plus works at Disney World, except that the tickets at WDW are linked electronically to the My Disney Experience account. Fastpass times are able to be assigned by accessing the My Disney Experience without aCtually having the passes/Magicbands there.

From the best I could tell the tickets are not linked until the return time is given. When we got the DAS for each of the kids they listed how many were in our group. When we went to the kiosks to get the return times we gave them one of the tickets with the DAS and then the tickets of those riding with them and they attached the return time to each of them.

From the best I could tell the tickets are not linked until the return time is given. When we got the DAS for each of the kids they listed how many were in our group. When we went to the kiosks to get the return times we gave them one of the tickets with the DAS and then the tickets of those riding with them and they attached the return time to each of them.
Thanks.
That's probably how they have to do it without the technology that WDW has.
It also makes sense for the reason why you have to have all the tickets each time you get a Return Tme - there apparently is not a 'permanent' link like there is at WDW.

And all of the blame for that lies squarely with the people that abuse it, not with Disney.

I dont think anyone is disputing that!
however the system is still way more complicated then it needs to be considering the potential for abuse is still there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter