Mexican Restaurant Options

I really wanted to like San Angel and I'm glad we tried it on our last trip but I wouldn't rush back. The tables are really close together, it was so dark I needed to use the torch on my iPhone to read the menu, the service seemed pretty chaotic and the food was just ok. I knew it wasn't tex mex and was excited to try it but I wasn't blown away. The margaritas were good though and once you don't need to read a menu, the atmosphere is lovely.

My Mexican in-laws will tell you that it is not traditional Mexican. I would not compare it to anything I have had in Cabo, either.

Our entire family finds "Mexican food" in Disney to be quote unpalatable.

Traditional Mexican food is not for most Americans. We have some good friends here straight from Mexico that we love dearly, but quite frankly we have to endure (with a smile and true thankfulness) eating meals at their home. We would never hurt their feelings, but traditional foods with mostly fried (or not) beans, corn tortillas, tamales, steamed chili peppers, etc. are not something we (or anyone else we know) can say they 'really' enjoy!

A large portion of Mexicans eat 'very' simply (meaning not a lot of good quality beef and minimal (none) cheese in these dishes. Not saying the small upper class don't eat better. After being in America a while, a lot of them tend to make their dishes more tasty - seasoned with something other than just 'hot'!! :)

So, give me the Americanized versions of their dishes and I 'love' it. The recipes that I find online are mostly all this way, as that is our (majority) tastes.

If you want to try San Angel, the atmosphere is great if you are lucky enough to be seated by the water, otherwise the food isn't anything for us to go back for. And, yes, I know, everyone's food expectations/tastes are different!! :goodvibes

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between San Angel Inn and Hacienda San Angel- is the food different and which would you recommend?

I've lived in San Diego for 35 years, so know and love Cali Mexican food pretty well. We liked La Hacienda de San Angel so well that we're going back again this upcoming trip to WDW. It is more expensive than we're used to paying for Mexican food, but we kind of expect that with Disney restaurants.

Hard to describe the food. It's kind of what we are used to, only "richer," if that makes sense. It's like plussed California Mexican food. As are the margaritas, which we love.

Whatever you choose, OP, have a great time!

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between San Angel Inn and Hacienda San Angel- is the food different and which would you recommend?
This may not mean much to you, but La Hacienda represents the food of southern Mexico, while San Angel Inn is more of the central and northern part of the country.
The "feel" of La Hacienda is supposed to be a laid back ranch house dining room, but I don't know that that really works with 50 or so tables. I've been eating there since the first week it was open, and it is probably my #2 go-to place at WDW after Boma. I find the servers friendly and helpful. My only regret is that the menu is quite small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter