Memory foam mattress - which one?

erin1715

DIS Veteran
We are about to pull the trigger on buying a king size memory foam mattress. I am trying to debate between a couple different ones.

This is the first: https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory...ess&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:368698011

The price on that above one is awesome and it seems to get really great reviews. I'm a little hesitant with it being made in China, but what isn't made there these days?

The is the other one: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...IXSDDE7CGR4CEQ&searchidx=1&recalg=63&recidx=1

I like that this one has the gel in it but the price is a little more than what I was hoping to spend. But its a long term and important investment so I want to be sure that we get something that we both will love.

Any thoughts?

Have you laid down on one for a while? I ask, because DH and I tried out a few in a store (good ones) and hated the way we couldn't move once we'd 'settled in' on the bed. Plus if the edge isn't supported, if you tend to be an edge sleeper (which my DH is) you feel like you're going to fall off.

Just be sure you really like the feeling of one.

My husband and I just bought a new memory foam mattress from a U.S. company called Tuft & Needle: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/. I cannot recommend them enough! I looked at several online companies, because I didn't want to pay big bucks for a mattress or deal with pushy salespeople. We ultimately chose Tuft & Needle for several reasons.
  • Return policy: you have 100 nights to sleep on the mattress and if you don't like it, Tuft & Needle will work with you to donate the mattress to a local charity and refund 100% of your money. If you order from Amazon, you get 30 days and Amazon handles the return process. So what's the risk in trying it out!?
  • Free, fast shipping.
  • Amazing customer service (via thousands of reviews on Amazon and then after purchasing we experienced this for ourselves).
  • Manufactured solely in the U.S.
  • Transparent website with lots of good info.
  • 10 year warranty.
  • Couldn't beat the price point!!
We've now slept on the mattress for almost 3 weeks and I still have nothing but good things to say. There was no lingering bad odor or "off gassing" like with some memory foam mattresses I had read about. The mattress is firm enough that neither of us sink down into it like with a pillow top mattress, so we don't "sleep hot". But it is soft enough to be comfortable. I expected to need a "transition" period, but the mattress was comfortable from the first night.

The previous poster mentioned no edge support in foam mattresses and while this mattress does have less edge support than a traditional mattress, I've not felt like I am going to fall out of the bed and I can sit on the edge of the bed without any issues.

I know I sound like a salesman for the company, but I swear I'm not! :) We were just so relieved and excited to find a great mattress at a great price that we didn't have to deal with mattress store gimmicks to buy...I get a little enthusiastic!

We have laid on them in stores and we like them so I'm not worried about that part of it.

I looked at the Tuft and Needle but the King size is a little pricey for me. The two that I linked - the most expensive one of those was around $550. The Tuft and Needle King is $750 plus tax....but I'm still researching. I just don't want to spend more than I have to if the comfort levels are the same anyway.

My husband and I just bought a new memory foam mattress from a U.S. company called Tuft & Needle: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/. I cannot recommend them enough! I looked at several online companies, because I didn't want to pay big bucks for a mattress or deal with pushy salespeople. We ultimately chose Tuft & Needle for several reasons.
  • Return policy: you have 100 nights to sleep on the mattress and if you don't like it, Tuft & Needle will work with you to donate the mattress to a local charity and refund 100% of your money. If you order from Amazon, you get 30 days and Amazon handles the return process. So what's the risk in trying it out!?
  • Free, fast shipping.
  • Amazing customer service (via thousands of reviews on Amazon and then after purchasing we experienced this for ourselves).
  • Manufactured solely in the U.S.
  • Transparent website with lots of good info.
  • 10 year warranty.
  • Couldn't beat the price point!!
We've now slept on the mattress for almost 3 weeks and I still have nothing but good things to say. There was no lingering bad odor or "off gassing" like with some memory foam mattresses I had read about. The mattress is firm enough that neither of us sink down into it like with a pillow top mattress, so we don't "sleep hot". But it is soft enough to be comfortable. I expected to need a "transition" period, but the mattress was comfortable from the first night.

The previous poster mentioned no edge support in foam mattresses and while this mattress does have less edge support than a traditional mattress, I've not felt like I am going to fall out of the bed and I can sit on the edge of the bed without any issues.

I know I sound like a salesman for the company, but I swear I'm not! :) We were just so relieved and excited to find a great mattress at a great price that we didn't have to deal with mattress store gimmicks to buy...I get a little enthusiastic!

I love my Tuft and Needle mattress too. I bought mine last November and am still happy with my purchase. I was able to take advantage of an offer on my Amex card offering me a $100 statement credit with a $500+ T&N purchase. The queen bed cost $600 so I ended up paying $500. It felt strange at first trying to move around and get out of bed due to the denseness, but I've adjusted to it. I move around less during the night, because I'm not waking up with back pain anymore.

These have been bounced around (LOL) on this forum a few times in the past few years.

Check out the following Web site -- they actually have decent information:

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mattress-review-home.html
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mattress-review-home.html
FYI, We purchased a Sleep Innovations a few years ago. It is in our guest room.

Our adult children liked it so much, they purchased the same for their apartments.

Three different friends who stayed with us and used the mattress liked it so much that they bought Sleep Innovations.

I heard Casper is great -- but the only real world experience I have is Sleep Innovations -- made in the USA, also (or they were).

Amazon sells them, and I think Walmart and Sears, probably other stores.

We have laid on them in stores and we like them so I'm not worried about that part of it.

I looked at the Tuft and Needle but the King size is a little pricey for me. The two that I linked - the most expensive one of those was around $550. The Tuft and Needle King is $750 plus tax....but I'm still researching. I just don't want to spend more than I have to if the comfort levels are the same anyway.

Ah, yeah, we bought the full size so it was only $500. Also, we didn't have to pay tax because they don't operate a physical business in my state. Not sure about that for you, as it would depend on where you live.

I would be hesitant to buy one off of Amazon because many times they require that you pay the return shipping if you return it.

Two weeks ago we bought an Amerisleep Revere. It is pretty firm to me but my wife likes it. They have a softer mattress for side-sleepers. They offer the 100 night guarantee and if you don't like it you get a full refund and they arrange to donate it to charity.

I also was considering a Purple bed but it seemed a little odd.

I too asked about memory foam mattresses about 2 months ago. several DISers recommended this very mattress.

I did purchase it, and we are happy with it. Albeit we purchased a twin size for our child, I've laid on it several times since we've bought it and DS likes it very much, and sleeps great.

Do plan to allow it the full 48 hours without touching it, to allow it to fully expand. That was the hardest part for DS who wanted to lay on it right away.

I bought my mattress about 4 years ago from Walmart. I only have two minor complaints. One is that the zipper on the cover broke immediately and they would not replace it. The second issue is that there are a few nights a year that it feels too hot.

My parents just got a gel-top, king-sized mattress from Wal-Mart for a little over $300 and they are in love with it. I'm not sure what one it is, but they are so impressed. They want to get a second one to put in their 5th Wheel.

We bought the king size zinus green tea one and we really like it so far. The mattress had a bit of a smell upon first opening but it was fine after airing it out. We have it on the floor right now but just ordered a frame from the same company and it should be arriving in a few days.

I too asked about memory foam mattresses about 2 months ago. several DISers recommended this very mattress.

I did purchase it, and we are happy with it. Albeit we purchased a twin size for our child, I've laid on it several times since we've bought it and DS likes it very much, and sleeps great.

Do plan to allow it the full 48 hours without touching it, to allow it to fully expand. That was the hardest part for DS who wanted to lay on it right away.

This is a very interesting option, as our mattress is pretty old and "indented" from sleeping on it for so long! Did you have to purchase the frame/slats that are advertised with the mattress or could you put the mattress on top of your existing box spring? If putting this mattress directly on the box spring isn't an option, could you put down some plywood (or similar) boards atop the spring, then put the mattress on the boards?

We are about to pull the trigger on buying a king size memory foam mattress. I am trying to debate between a couple different ones.
Any thoughts?

Just be very cautious buying the 'knock off' brands, especially online where you may have little recourse if you aren't satisfied.

ETA: After posting, noticed that you have already purchased a mattress. Hope you are very satisfied with it. :goodvibes

Have you laid down on one for a while? I ask, because DH and I tried out a few in a store (good ones) and hated the way we couldn't move once we'd 'settled in' on the bed. Plus if the edge isn't supported, if you tend to be an edge sleeper (which my DH is) you feel like you're going to fall off.

Just be sure you really like the feeling of one.

Wonder which one you tried? DH & I have a Temperpedic (original memory foam) for 16 years and it is nothing like what you describe. (all memory foam is 'not' equal).

Rolling over has 'never' been an issue, and neither is being an edge sleeper (of which I am) - great support all the way to the edge. Another thing, the person sleeping on one side of the bed does not disturb the other sleeper at all - no bouncing effect from one side to the other. We love our Temperpedic and it has lasted great - still some years to go!

Yes, it was, and still is, pricey, but we tried a 'knock off' where we bought that one because they made a great sales pitch for it and it was less money, but we were so not happy!! They took it back and we paid the difference for the Temperpedic.

We also bought a Temperpedic foam topper for our motor home bed. They are sooo restful.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting option, as our mattress is pretty old and "indented" from sleeping on it for so long! Did you have to purchase the frame/slats that are advertised with the mattress or could you put the mattress on top of your existing box spring? If putting this mattress directly on the box spring isn't an option, could you put down some plywood (or similar) boards atop the spring, then put the mattress on the boards?

You are supposed to have one of those Memory Foam mattress foundations -- the mattress comparison Web site sleeplikethedead.com says this:

Most memory foam mattresses, including Tempur-Pedic, are designed to work on a firm, solid-surface, non-spring foundation with no irregularities. Owner experience data suggests that a box spring (springs contained in a box-like frame) may not properly support the mattress and thus undermine the contouring and molding ability of the foam as well as motion isolation. A medium-density fiberboard (MDF) foundation, platform bed, or slat foundation is often preferred.

Personally, I just plopped ours down on the nice Simmons box spring we had, and it has been fine for four years or so.

You do not need to purchase them from the mattress maker. Lots of places sell suitable foundations -- WalMart, Costco, Amazon, etc. If you are handy, it would be easy enough to build one yourself. Look at the different ones on various Web sites and take your cue from those.

We've been very happy with our Leesa mattress. We've had it for over 3 months now and it's great!

This is the first: https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory-Foam-Green-Mattress/dp/B00Q7EPV8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1473950081&sr=1-1&keywords=memory+foam+mattress&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:368698011

The price on that above one is awesome and it seems to get really great reviews. I'm a little hesitant with it being made in China, but what isn't made there these days?

The is the other one: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...IXSDDE7CGR4CEQ&searchidx=1&recalg=63&recidx=1

I like that this one has the gel in it but the price is a little more than what I was hoping to spend. But its a long term and important investment so I want to be sure that we get something that we both will love.

Any thoughts?

Have you looked at Loom & Leaf, Casper, Tuft & Needle?

Edit* - I see you have already purchased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter