Memorial Day crowds..bad?

got15

DIS Veteran
We plan on doing a quick trip over Memorial Day weekend... how bad are the parks (crowd wise) and what should we expect to get done? For reference, we usually go early May or after Thanksgiving...

We plan on doing a quick trip over Memorial Day weekend... how bad are the parks (crowd wise) and what should we expect to get done? For reference, we usually go early May or after Thanksgiving...
Well, I have been at WDW twice over Memorial Day including last year when Pandora opened. The heat and humidity kicked in early last year and that was a bigger impact for us than the crowds. But it was pretty crowded all the way around. I am not sure if I have ever been to WDW when the crowds are on the extreme side, but FP+ was a big help.

Not sure if I helped much as this kind of question can be pretty subjective.

:wizard:

We've done Memorial Day weekend 3 years in a row. It's not bad, as Holiday weekends go.
Sure, you have a portion of the country who are already out of school but you have a portion who aren't. And for them, it's so close to the end of the school year they won't take off so that takes most of them out of the pool of guests who go.
We have also gone at the end of July the last 2 years (AP holders so we go several times each year) and between the 2 dates, Memorial Day weekend is less crowded.

Memorial Day weekend ranks as one of the highest crowd level periods for the entire calendar year. If you have other options, I would do it...unless that other option is the week between Christmas and New Years,

Last year we went to both HS and Epcot on Memorial Day. Surprisingly, both were fine. Most people were probably at Animal Kingdom (for the 4 hour Flights of Passage waits) or MK. It was the last day of Flower and Garden and was really not what I'd consider busy.

We are also going that weekend. A heads up there will be a star wars spectacular event in Hollywood Studios on the 27th from 7-midnight. The additional cost is a premium at $129 per person. We have opted to pretend it doesn't exist in hopes that crowds will be lower at the other parks during that time. We originally had 3 day park hoppers and decided instead of doing the starwars party we would add a 4th day hopper and save over $200. Tickets are not on sale yet for the party but will be very soon. They will sell out fast if you are interested in going.

We are also going that weekend. A heads up there will be a star wars spectacular event in Hollywood Studios on the 27th from 7-midnight. The additional cost is a premium at $129 per person. We have opted to pretend it doesn't exist in hopes that crowds will be lower at the other parks during that time. We originally had 3 day park hoppers and decided instead of doing the starwars party we would add a 4th day hopper and save over $200. Tickets are not on sale yet for the party but will be very soon. They will sell out fast if you are interested in going.

Wow, thanks so much for letting me know! Do you know how I would be able to find out more information about it? I am the only girl in a family of boys- so I think the rest of the crew might be interested in that.

Well, according to Touringplans, Memorial day crowds are pretty bad.
If you have another option, I'd do that instead. Unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas week, of course.

We've been Memorial Day weekend, but the only thing I have to compare it to is mid-June, and felt they were similar. We kind of stayed out of the parks that weekend though-- we weren't trying to do MK that Saturday, for example, when it was probably really busy. It will be a lot busier than when you usually go.

The only thing I would consider this year is that if Toy Story Land actually opens up then, at a minimum, DHS will be nuts. I don't know if it will make the other parks more busy or less busy, but I would guess a lot of people who want to hit the new land opening would also end up at MK.

Considering that there have been days since mid-January with crowd levels of 7+ (out of 10) (not every park, every day, but still), I'd definitely have a good FP plan ready.

Memorial Day weekend ranks as one of the highest crowd level periods for the entire calendar year. If you have other options, I would do it...unless that other option is the week between Christmas and New Years,
Not in our experience. We have went over Thanksgiving, just before Xmas, Pres Day, and Mem Day. Memorial Day was least busy by far.
I agree. No idea what or who has said memorial day is 3rd behind Christmas or New year's but having been to all of the above I can assure folks it is not

I frequently travel with a friend who’s a school teacher, so we hit all of the holiday periods (and I also sometimes hit the off times.) Yes, it’s busy - Disney is now ALWAYS busy - but it’s really not that bad. As always, a good touring plan is king.

We have went many times around Memorial Day. I compare it to a normal busy July day. Not even close to any of the big, big holidays. If Toy Story Land happens to open that weekend just stay away from HS for the first few days.

I’ve been around that time and it wasn’t bad. It was normal to me

Disney is always gonna be crowded all year round so I’d just go into it expecting big crowds and if not, you’ll be happy.

There will never be a time where everything is just a 10 min walk on time lol.

The weather is usually beautiful that time of year though.

We've always gone to WDW in late May, to take advantage of our own statutory holiday, and usually end up flying home after the U.S. Memorial Day. The weather has always been sunny and dry for us, so we don't mind the crowds at all. It's also worked out so well for us because we were able to attend the opening weekend of Pandora last year and a few years ago we got to ride SDMT during a soft opening! I wouldn't be surprised if Toy Story Land opens around then too. Wish we were able to go again this year!

We usually go Memorial Day week. It's much less crowded than Christmas! It's comparable to early June. Nowhere near the crowds of spring break. And less crowded and definitely less hot than the week we went in mid-July. Still a lot of schools not out yet so the crowds aren't massive yet. Last year, with the opening of Pandora, we managed to do everything we wanted and some things multiple times - including FOP twice. It's not bad at all. Definitely not 3rd behind Christmas. And the last few years we've had either NO rain or 1 or 2 afternoons. Beautiful weather.

Just for some perspective, my family is a passholder family and we've gone the past 3 MD weekends. Each trip it has gotten busier. Aside from the crowd levels, it's just plain hot. It is Florida, so it's to be expected. We've decided to forgo MD weekend this year in lieu of Spring Break. I don't expect the crowds to be better but the 10 degree differential will be nice.

As for your specific question: I would expect a combination of your typical trips: May weather, Thanksgiving crowds. Go in to it with that expectation and you'll be fine.

As for your specific question: I would expect a combination of your typical trips: May weather, Thanksgiving crowds. Go in to it with that expectation and you'll be fine.

This is key to any trip. Expect the worst crowds you've ever experienced and the crowds will be much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter